Sprinting joyfully into October - the Dingo thread - Page 8 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#211 of 296 Old 10-24-2013, 03:01 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Sparkle, and mamas, can you please give me some focus? I will take this to the yahoo group if you'd all rather.

Basically I need to figure out what I need to be doing for supplements, herbs, etc. For regular vitamin type needs (including immune support, B12 supplementation - vegan) and my extra stuff (specifically, SAD for which I think I need extra D -- how much?), and hot flashes/hormonal flux plus the anxiety issues.

I get so confused when I start reading on the internet and I can't figure out whether I'm coming or going, what to buy, how much to take, when to take it during the day, etc. UGH.

Plus I need to work fish oil (or flax) into ds' and dd2's diet somehow; it needs to be kosher (not codliver oil) and palatable (picky eaters). How much? Does it depend on their body weights? How much vit C to give the kids? Do I add flax oil to dd1's diet (she's a vegan also)? If yes, how much?

And can someone PLEAAAAASSSSEEE tell me how to get dd2 to do some kind of regular physical activity given that 1) we do not live near the rock climbing gym and cannot afford it anyway; and 2) even when she takes rock climbing for the 6 weeks the JCC offers it, she needs to do something else as it's only 45 min/week?! She doesn't want to do swim team. Or  gymnastics. Or ballet/dance. Or zumba, pilates, or the pre-teen "fitness" class. Or, or, or. She's too young to go into the main cardio room to go on the bike. blahblahblah. Dd1 does karate and the stationary bike at home; ds will be in wrestling. Dd2 needs to do something and I am at my wits' end.

I'm sorry, mamas. Self involved again and probably asking things I *should* know about. Feeling overwhelmed, anxious, confused.

"Now bid me run, and I will strive with things impossible." (William Shakespeare -- Julius Caesar)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#212 of 296 Old 10-24-2013, 03:25 PM

Okay I'm back nothing major wrong. Possible inflammation of the duodenum, no coffee, beer or spicy foods for a few weeks. Glad nothing major there.

Nic have you come right out and said, "you will do something x minutes per week. What would you like it to be? ".

Kristin -- mom of Erin (11/5/02) and Leah (9/29/05)
#213 of 296 Old 10-24-2013, 03:26 PM

Kerc - Hope you're already feeling obviously better but that the doc rule it out with something super simple.

Nic - Overwhelmed here too.  I don't know about amounts of this and that.  I try to remember to take my fancy new probiotic or to add an emergen-c packet to my protein shake now and then and call it the best I can do.  Any chance you could visit a naturopath?

Turns out when I don't have to hold it together for an hour or so I totally totally lose it.  Sobbed for well over an hour today and then ranted crazily and loudly about what f#45ups humans are wrt the future of the planet and how to raise kids on a train headed at full speed for a cliff.  I had skimmed through a FB posting about the radiation showering the west coast from Fukushima which was apparently the last straw for me.  My poor dad (who just arrived last night) was probably wishing there was a handy psych ward.  

I should have gone boxing. :o

A little bit grasshopper a little bit ant   energy.gifom.gif

#214 of 296 Old 10-24-2013, 06:03 PM - Thread Starter

Ay Plady :hug I wish I could give you an IRL hug. I'm sure your dad is feeling your pain and emotions, too, not thinking you are crazy or anything.

Nic, were you thinking of getting one of the lights for Vit. D? My father's wife had a heck of a time in Alaska and found that the light really helped a lot. And for your DD, how about running with mom? :D

Kerc, thank goodness! I was hoping you didn't have to have surgery or something crazy. :goodvibesand chamomile tea.

Melissa
mom to 3 lovely kids
#215 of 296 Old 10-24-2013, 06:04 PM

Omg, Plady, I hear you! Loud and clear. hug.gif Your dad will love you anyway, so rant away. I'm so sorry about Maureen. And I miss you. And I could use a hug. Or three. heartbeat.gif

Busy week. Very hard. Sad. Tried to add some joy. Ate and drank like crap. Need to get back home and some structure into my life. Again. So damn lonely. Weeks since my last workout. I need something to change hard and fast in my life and I don't know what it its. Dh is commitment-phobic so it's up to me to get out of the log cabin, as in move or build. But then I have to deal with all his reasons against it, which eventually become personal. So then I try to do it anyway on my own, w/o his input and get criticized. I know I need change but I'm looking too many different directions at once. Maybe I should see a counselor regularly. And swim after. Plus some kind of pampering. Also feeling very powerless.

Nic, hadn't seen that about the teacher. bawling.gif

JG, I wish for a paying library gig for you.

Mommajb, wave.gif

Kerc, I'll give up beer, coffee, spicy foods with you if it helps. Anything for clarity these days.

Real, so glad you got your wallet back.

Jo, huh.gifuhoh3.gifyikes2.gifbow2.gifom.gif

Mel, wave.gif thanks for the kind words. hug2.gif

eta: took out some expletives, adding some NPR love stillheart.gif

Homeschool Planet http://planethomeschool.net
#216 of 296 Old 10-24-2013, 06:17 PM

Nic - hug.gif You have a lot on your mind. I know the feeling. B12 is good for supporting the immune system and to combat the effects of stress. It is water soluble, so you cant OD. I think I have 500mg pills. You might also consider iron, especially if you are vegan. Did you ever have your levels checked when you had bloodwork (didnt you have some recently?) Floradix is supposed to be good, as it absorbs well and doesnt cause constipation, but when I took it post-partum (I was anemic) it turned my teeth dark brown. Gross. So I got my teeth cleaned and stopped taking it shrug.gif I dont know about kosher fish oil. For dose, I just read the label and quadruple it. Flax is a different form of omega-3 and harder to absorb. It is ALA, and your body needs to convert it. Also, it has not been shown to have the same effects as fish oil, but I think it is still good for health and we eat a lot of it. I dump about 1/4 C. in everything I bake. Make sure you buy refrigerated flax oil and keep it cold. I dont give myself or the kids vit. C b/c it gives me a tummy/gut ache (oh, so does flax if I eat too much). I take Zinc at the first sign of a cold or illness, but you could take it every day as it too is water soluble. I think I take 50mg of that as 'needed'. Black cohosh and evening primrose oil are supposed to be good for hormone balance, but I have never taken either so cant speak to them. Not sure of there are any studies about them out... For anxiety I take one of those homeopathic Calm pills, but I havent had any more anxiety since I got the hormone thing on track (knock wood). It could be hormone related, as hormones fluctuate throughout the day and so it makes sense that you experience it in the evening (although this could be a stressful time for you where you worry about your kids and work and dh and...). In any case, I find those Calm pills really work and they strike me as benign in the way Rescue Remedy is (or oral Arnica). I dont think it matters what time of day you take any of this. I usually take it all in the morning, Lastly vitamin D. Did you get results for that? Optimal level is btwn 50-80 (on the higher side if you believe alternative folks, on the lower side if you believe conventional folks). When I got boodwork in Feb. I was at 22. I take approximately 5000mg/day (1000mg in a vit D pill, 800 in my multi, and then whatever I get in my huge tablespoon of fermented fish oil). Mayo clinic says it would take months at 10,000mg to reach toxicity, if you reached it, and the symptoms are nausea and vomiting and the treatment is to stop taking it. So I figure if I start getting really nauseus Ill stop. But the treatment for low D is a bolus shot of 50,000mg once a week for (cant remember if its a month or 3...). Anyway, I was worried about potential toxicity and now Im much less so.

HTH. Need to go pick up DD1 from practice... (p.s I dont have any idea what to do about DD2. DS is much the same and I sort of let him slide. He is active in his own ways, but hates most structured activities. Sigh)

mom to  dd1 (11) hearts.gif,  ds (9)bikenew.gif,  dd2 (6) dust.gif  , Daisy (4) dog2.gif
#217 of 296 Old 10-24-2013, 09:08 PM

mel~I am totally stressing out about all the little details, too. I really need to get to goodwill for my throwaway stuff. Hopefully tomorrow.

kerc~Yikes! Glad it was nothing major, and hope you are feeling well enough for some good dingo time this weekend!

plady~hug.gif and hug.gif some more

My work week is done, and I have another weekend off! Two in a row! Craziness! And I'm starting to freak out because when I go back on Sunday, I work three (maybe four, with a call shift) in a row and then head to NYC. EEEEEEKKKKKKK! Work was pretty good this week. Oddly enough, I only had one patient until 11 last night, and then picked up four more, but three were babies. So it was a pretty good night. Then I went shopping after work in my coworker/friend's closet for a halloween costume for a party this weekend. She sent me home with a cheerleader and a Daisy Duke costume. I'm trying to decide if I have the guts to go for Daisy Duke. The shorts are seriously short. But more so than that, the tank top does not really disguise my mommy tummy. It's not bad, and my friend insisted that it was fine, but I just don't know if I can pull it off. But I kind of like it more than the cheerleader. bag.gif So four short hours of sleep later, it was time to get up, and then C persuaded me to try the weekly group swim with the tri club tonight. I don't normally work out the day after working a night shift, but it wasn't bad. Actually, the workout was kind of fun, in that sadistic triathlon kind of way. orngtongue.gif It was pretty much an hour of straight swimming. It was split into sets where we started with 3 minutes and a set distance (depending on speed, I was in the slow lane, so started at 125 yds) and dropped 5 seconds every set. If you couldn't make the distance within the time, you went down 25 yds for the next set. I have absolutely no idea how far I swam. If I had to guess, I'd say 2500 yds or so. All I know is that my calves were cramping pretty bad the second half, and I am exhausted now. 10 miles on tap for the morning, my last "long" run before the marathon!

Gaye, single mama to Tyler (5/06) and Baxter the labradoodle
surf.gif bikenew.gif jog.gif Wait...I signed up to DO an Ironman??? I thought I was signing up to go SEE Ironman! nut.gif

#218 of 296 Old 10-24-2013, 10:48 PM

Plady--hope your cough heads on its way back out the door.

kerc--glad you're ok. Should I bring tea when I see you?

JayGee--no, though it's related. The candidates we don't want to win are opposing it; the ones we do want to win are in favor. But it has big players behind it and more funding. It is one of four campaign signs in my small front yard though.

Nic--any chance she could just go on walks at home with a family member? My parents had me in dance classes as a kid, and I was so relieved when I was able to quit after fifth grade. The lack of coordination and extreme embarrassment at the fact that I can't translate body instructions fast enough make it unpleasant. Or maybe she could just help more with chores like carrying the laundry up and down and vacuuming and such?

lofty-- goodvibes.gif for you. I hope you can get some pampering which may help with many of the other issues. I feel your pain--that's very similar to how I feel when everything gets to me all at once.

Another school board meeting full of drama tonight. This was only a study session but I think everyone is just in high-gear right now, whether it be politics or schools or driving (there were so many accidents today!) or anything else.

Lisa  caffix.gif and her wonderful girls: R (9) violin.gif &  J (3-3/4) coolshine.gif 
#219 of 296 Old 10-24-2013, 11:20 PM

Nic, I like kerc's idea. Gives her a choice, but not the choice to do nothing. We are looking at karate because the studio is close enough the kids can walk there without our having to get them there. I wanted to keep them in TKD and they are not thrilled about being white belts again, but whatever. We keep them active but it takes someone else to encourage them to challenge themselves.

Speaking of active, we walked about 6mi to go out and buy dd a bike. She rode it home so her walk was only about 3mi. This after a 4mi walk in the morning, so I got some miles in yesterday. Dd is pleased to have a bike. They are expensive here, but we talked a good price and got her a youth size with gears, so she should be set for many years.

Plady, I had a similar convo with my mom yesterday. I said something about picking a place far above sea level and then had to laugh because I live below sea level.

Nic, I just yesterday got some fish oil and started with my daily sunshine. I added a fancy probiotic (motivated by stomach discomfort). I take magnesium, which I highly recommend for the anxiety/stress feeling. I take it evenings and it helps me wind down.

Lofty :Hug

mommajb, we revisited insurance when we came out here. And again recently. One never knows.

#220 of 296 Old 10-25-2013, 07:37 AM

Nic - I also take magnesium at night to help me wind down for sleep. too much can cause loose stool/gut discomfort (I get there at 800mg), but I take 500mg just fine. nothing fancy - i get it at walgreens...

mom to  dd1 (11) hearts.gif,  ds (9)bikenew.gif,  dd2 (6) dust.gif  , Daisy (4) dog2.gif
#221 of 296 Old 10-25-2013, 07:59 AM

Thank you mamas. 

Magnesium is not great for me (the stomach thing) but I will try a lower dose maybe. I am going to raise my Vit. D dose from 2000mg/day to 4000 and see if that is helpful. I have a sublingual B12 but also have a B complex vitamin I take in addition to my multi, I take acerola chews (probiotic) but probably should increase that. I have to deal with the omega oil thing for me and my kids...still struggling with that. Maybe Udo's oil? 

http://www.vitacost.com/udos-choice-udos-oil-3-6-9-blend-32-fl-oz-1?csrc=GPF-PA-061998679890&ci_gpa=pla&ci_kw=&ci_src=17588969&ci_sku=061998679890&ci_src=17588969&ci_sku=061998679890&gclid=CO6ksLKRsroCFYee4AodYBEApA

And then in addition to that for ds, a fish oil (yet to be determined) also?

I have to go back over the choices of activities with dd2, the schedules, cost, etc. and see what I can offer her she might want to do. Failing that, she'll be doing laps around the house. :lol (Chores are a good idea too.) She loves, loves, loves the rock climbing wall and I wish I could get her there but it's just not possible logistically or financially. Sigh.

My dad is having surgery on his foot this morning. Good thoughts, please! :shy

RR: 6.2 this morning. Felt fast at intervals, then very tired. Weird. So I just ran intervals.

"Now bid me run, and I will strive with things impossible." (William Shakespeare -- Julius Caesar)

#222 of 296 Old 10-25-2013, 08:13 AM

I wouldn't bother with a 3-6-9. You most likely get plenty of 6 and 9 from diet. These were on Amazon and looked less $$ than some other options. But I got a fluid oil because I take enough pills and I feel like straight oil is more cost-effective. shrug.gif Like I know. But there's this

My magnesium is only 300 and the one I got in Morocco comes with B6. I don't go higher than 300 usually. Even 500 gives me the inthet.gif. But there are cheapish powders and effervescents I can get here which I like.

Thoughts, anyone, on St. John's Wort? Got an hour in the sun today. It felt amazing, I admit. Tomorrow morning we will likely do a longer visit, since dh has to work and it's weekend. Might go to the fancy-schmancy club. Then I don't have to wash towels.

kerc, I am glad it's not something truly awful but pain is pain and I hope you're feeling better. Stress?

#223 of 296 Old 10-25-2013, 09:09 AM

Jo - I have started sitting in the sun on purpose hide.gif I had a similar experience this summer where I went to the pool with the kids and waited 15 before putting sunscreen on myself (full body zinc oxide kind) and the foul mood I had been in was not only gone but I was sort of giddy after being in the sun. That made me think 15 minutes on an occasional/regular basis could be a good thing (I read somewhere that one needs 15 minutes with 85% of your body exposed to get your proper dose of D). My mom was a sun worship-er (still is) and it always grossed me out. She is very wrinkly, like sharpei inner thighs hanging down to her inner knees saggy, and add the dark tan and she looks like she belongs in front of a slot machine with a cigarette with a long ash hanging off it. Turns out, the saggy is genetic! Not from the sun at all. My inner thighs are starting the creep. I am trying to embrace being saggy greensad.gif Meanwhile, if its not the sun, then 15 minutes now and then seems reasonable, especially since I am such a sun phobe and religiously wear sunscreen on all exposed body parts ..

Ok, that was long lol.gif I dont trust st. johns wort. Studies have shown it to be equal to placebo (although there's always counter examples). Have you ever tried 5htp? I take roseola rhodia and really like it, but there have been no long term studies done so there's that.

Nic - I agree with Jo. You dont need 6 or 9! I dont know if there is such thing as kosher fish oil, and honestly, I dont think there is a sub.

#224 of 296 Old 10-25-2013, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1jooj View Post

kerc, I am glad it's not something truly awful but pain is pain and I hope you're feeling better. Stress?

Yes, I think it's stress. Lots of job related to-do stress, plus limited opportunity for exercise, plus cruddy diet of late. And about 3-4 days ago (before this started) I ate a ton of nuts. Like 4-5 times as much as I usually do. I bet that did it.
 So..... No coffee, no soda, no beer. More  knit.gifand jog.gif . And Here's hoping this too will pass. The suck-tastic part is the normal detox from coffee for me isn't going to work -- no advil or alive.  So...

#225 of 296 Old 10-25-2013, 09:15 AM

kerc ~ glad it's not anything serious, but for me, giving up coffee would be life-threatening!

Nic - My DD1 is similar.  The only thing she loves is horseback riding, but a) it's ridiculously expensive to do any more than 1x a week, and b) it's more a workout for the horse than for her.  So, she's accepted swimming as her aerobic activity.  It became a lot more appealing to her when her swim coach told her that she used to ride horses and swimming made her a much stronger rider.  Can you talk her into doing something that would make her a better climber down the road?  IDK...

sparkle - took lots of notes on your supplement recs.  Thanks for typing all that out.  I've been having massive anxiety problems recently and may try some homeopathic Calm.  Laying off sugar helps me too, if I can just stay away from it.

jooj - have a good workout, no matter where you go!

RR - just ran 3.6 miles, no walking :bgbounce

NRR - My parents offered  to rent a house for 14 people in Nantucket this summer so they can enjoy a week with us, my sister and her son, and my brother's family.  Exciting and fun, but DH is grousing about the kids missing a week of swim team.  I feel like we really can't say no to the offer.  It's so generous, they really want us there, and honestly, I really would love to spend a week in my favorite summer vacation place from childhood with my own kids, and their cousins.  But I know DH and my parents butt heads on so many things and it's going to be a hard week for him, not the relaxing vacation he envisions for his time off from work.  Sigh.

~~Kristina~~ Mama to DS(10/30/01), DD1(VBAC 3/28/04) and DD2(HBAC 5/21/06)
#226 of 296 Old 10-25-2013, 10:40 AM

OMG JayGee if you are going to Nantucket we have to see each other somehow!!!!!

WOOT DINGO MEETUP!

Ok, I'll forego the 3-6-9. If the fish oil is 'medicinal' and can't be substituted, then there are allowances for that in kosher rules (i.e. medication doesn't need to have a kosher designation). I will have to do some research.

I am going to revisit swim team with dd2 as I think she'd be good at it and come to enjoy it, but she's so difficult to force into something. She's always so compliant and wants to be loved and not make waves -- I really have become wary at trying to 'influence' her too much because I know she'd give in, be privately miserable, and then in a few months have a total meltdown and I'll feel awful for not being receptive to her (this is how things go, can you tell? crap.gif. I'd really like her to find her own voice, you know? Hmmm.

#227 of 296 Old 10-25-2013, 10:45 AM

Nic, perhaps you can find a program like Girls on the Run - empowerment plus physical activity. Even if something exactly like that is not available I think a positive team sport experience of any sort can be empowering.

You don’t owe them an explanation, just a response.
#228 of 296 Old 10-25-2013, 10:54 AM

Nic - How far away is the climbing gym/how difficult would it be to get her there? Is there a team? I'm wondering if A. there might be anyone who climbs there and/or is on the team who she could carpool with, and B. if the gym/team has any financial aid and/or if your Dh's place of employment offers any financial fitness incentives. My dh's hospital pays X amount per year for a gym membership, for example. We have to pay it first and then submit the receipt but the reimbursement is substantial (like half the annual fee). Climbing is a small and friendly community, so if a kid really wanted to do it, the gym might be interested in helping that happen ...

RR: 1 hour dog walk

#229 of 296 Old 10-25-2013, 10:56 AM

Thanks Sparkle, that's worth investigating. The climbing gym is in Hadley which is about 45 mins. away, (each way). I will call them and see if there are others from our area who go. You're awesome.

#230 of 296 Old 10-25-2013, 11:10 AM

JayGee, could you go without, or is that not a thing done in your family? :innocent I'm so used to going solo whenever I tend to assume it is not the biggie that it kind of is, but I agree that cousins (and siblings) are just the best.

sparkle, I was going to say my thighs were falling down long before I got here. :wink Thanks for the SJW input. I tried 5HTP last year and had a seratonin syndrome episode and threw it out. Thought I was going to die.

The school situation might kill me. I am pretty sure dd is trying to drop out. If this continues, I am enrolling her at semester and she can stay here with her father until July. Sigh. This too shall pass.

#231 of 296 Old 10-25-2013, 11:41 AM

jaygee:  in my (IL) family it has become acceptable and even encouraged for one spouse to stay behind and join mid week. In my experience it makes it more enjoyable for everyone when the spouse who doesn't want to join in stays home. It would be a lot of  driving specifically for you, but you and the kids could drive out and then dh could fly and meet you midweek.

lisa/gaye/wendy:  going to try to email you guys momentarily. I just printed out the map to where I'm going. And I also figured out where I have to be when.

#232 of 296 Old 10-25-2013, 12:06 PM

Nic - yeah, I looked it up prior to your post and bigeyes.gif that's expensive, like, give me a break expensive! Ours is a little over a hundy/mo. for DD1's team AND gym membership, but *only* one-fiddy/mo. for the whole family. Currently its just her, but when they move to the new location in the spring we might do the family membership as Dh has been threatening to start doing some form of exercise other than cycling (hello NO upper-body conditioning of ANY kind, and middle aged back-pain etc). Our team does offer financial help to those who need it but its not stated on the website.

Jo - the serotonin thing is the worst. Ive had that happen too many times this year, and bleh, its a real double edged sword trying to find a workable remedy to feeling bad. Serotonin is encouraged by estrogen too (estrogen facilitates serotonin transport and creates more receptors) so depending on what your hormones are doing, that can cause unpredictable reactions. So fun being your own lab rat redface.gif What do you mean DD is not doing school, like balking at the hs-ing?

JG - the homeopathic thing is called Calming and its made by Heel. You can google it. Also the magnesium is helpful, but the gut thing can be problematic. From my experience, and reading widely of late, anxiety can become an issue with 'the change'. It helped me in my CBT efforts to think of the anxiety as my hormones talking to me, and the anxiety not being 'real'. Still an awful thing to live with. Seeing an accupuncturist could be helpful too? I hope you find a workable solution to the vacation. We are having a little of that here, where I am getting kind of burnt on spending bank going to the IL's in a place I dont really want to be and sitting around for a week so everyone can have their family time (like, why cant they visit us or why cant we rent a house on nantucket lol.gif). Maybe Dh just needs to suck it up harder for the sake of family togetherness? redface.gif

#233 of 296 Old 10-25-2013, 01:20 PM

Super excited for a real/kerc/geo meetup this weekend! joy.gif Kerc and geo in the same place at the same time? Proof that they are not, in fact, the same person! winky.gif

Reading along on the supplements with interest. I'm not currently taking anything, not even my multivitamin. bag.gif When I had to start taking synthroid, I fell off the multivitamin horse because you're supposed to wait four hours before taking anything with calcium in it, and I just can't remember to take a pill in the afternoon or evening. I really should try harder. I feel really fortunate to not have to fight the mood stuff that many of you have, but I definitely think a lot of my fatigue could be improved with the proper supplementation. And more sleep, of course...

rr~10 gorgeous miles on one of my favorite (city) trails this morning. Leaves crunching under our feet, perfect temperatures. If only I wasn't so tired from swimming last night and life in general, it would have been just about perfect. Nonetheless, 10 miles at just over 10 minute pace is not too shabby for me. And my last long run before NYC is done! Woohoo! It might possibly be my last run, period, but I think I'll try to at least get something in tomorrow, even if I have to go to the Y to do it. And hiking with the dingos on Sunday!

And I made it to goodwill today for my throwaway gear, so starting to get things lined up...

Gaye, single mama to Tyler (5/06) and Baxter the labradoodle
surf.gif bikenew.gif jog.gif Wait...I signed up to DO an Ironman??? I thought I was signing up to go SEE Ironman! nut.gif

#234 of 296 Old 10-25-2013, 10:24 PM

JayGee--good luck on working out next summer. If there's a way he can come halfway through, that would be easier on everyone I would imagine. I understand his reluctance and yet, I'll be sucking it up for 9 days over Christmas and not in a place that's pretty.

1jooj--I think you asked about St. John's Wort. DH takes it and there is a noticeable difference between when he takes it and when he doesn't. I've tried it and don't notice any difference at all. So, YMMV.

Meanwhile, it was yet another day where I couldn't even fit in a mere two-mile run. J is very sensory about clothing and just generally 3. I'm perpetually behind (and managed to completely space the girls' appointment for flu shots yesterday!), but we did make it to the Fall Carnival just before they opened, I managed to eventually make my way into the building so I could help with tickets, the cupcakes got made for the cake walk and everyone is now home and sleeping.

I also discovered that the circle stickers I used on my red shirt for Minnie Mouse don't stay on. Now I'm trying white shoe dye (the kind that comes in the bottle) which isn't nearly as effective but may work for all practical purposes tomorrow morning anyhow.

I'm really looking forward to that Dingo meet-up tomorrow, for so many reasons.

Lisa  caffix.gif and her wonderful girls: R (9) violin.gif &  J (3-3/4) coolshine.gif 
#235 of 296 Old 10-25-2013, 11:42 PM

Hi all- dropping by to say have a terrific weekend meet-up!

Nic, I've seen kosher fish oil supplements. I think they're mackerel instead of cod.

I'm sleeping at the hospital with my grandma tonight, because she's been having terrible anxiety and hallucinations/nightmares at night. She's quite lucid during the day and aware that the hallucinations aren't deal at night, but it makes it hard to sleep. My sister gave her evening meds and I'm here in case she needs someone during the night.

"Guess what? It's a magical world. And when I sing, my songs are in it."
Madly in love with my 7 and 4 year old daughters

#236 of 296 Old 10-26-2013, 05:16 AM

MelW, I hope this passes. Is it med induced?

Friend's baby shower tonight. Definitely jumped right into things. Signed kids up for karate to start tomorrow (walking distance! Yay!). Second beach visit is happening right now. Still avoiding peak hours because it's hot and I am not acclimated. A HS friend of dd lives in our bldg and she came with.

Dd is just being impossible and not liking the consequences of her choices. I clearly warned her about not working ahead much, particularly in French, before we left. Now she is 2 weeks behind and has a lot to learn for midterms. I am kvetching. We should be past this hump in 10 days and rolling along.
My next yoga class is tomorrow.
#237 of 296 Old 10-26-2013, 07:04 AM

Happy Dingo Meetup Day in Denver! I hope someone brings a camera!

MelW - hopefully your night with your grandma was uneventful.  You're an awesome grandchild for staying with her though.

jooj - may the catch-up with DD be quick and smooth.  Maybe it will make her think next time (although, if my kids are any indication, it usually takes a couple of rounds of "consequences" for these things to sink in).  Enjoy the beach! And yoga!

Nic - it would be so awesome to meet up with you this summer while we're travelling through Massachusetts! See if your local swim team has a pre-team.  Our US Swimming team has a 2-3x a week pre-team that works specifically on technique and perfecting strokes rather than on tons of yardage.  It costs less and has shorter practices and no meet requirement.

sparkle - thanks for the info on the homeopathic.  I honestly think my anxiety is 100% diet related.  Eat sugar = anxiety and depression.  Eat no processed sugar = happy and calm. I've got to get to my doctor so she can prescribe the anti-fungal you recommended, because diet alone is not killing the cravings. I admit that I am in denial about "the change".  But I'm 45, so it's pretty inevitable in the next couple of years.  My Mom started HRT at 40 and has no clue when she went through menopause.  All she knows is that when she stopped HRT at 50, her periods never came back.

Plady - enjoy your time with your Dad and let yourself grieve this loss.

NRR - DD2 has her last outdoor soccer game of the season this morning followed by he first indoor game this afternoon.  She's super-excited, for some reason!  DH is thrilled that at least one of his kids loves soccer and appears to be pretty good at it too.  After soccer is a massive shopping excursion to St. Louis for fall clothing.  Every single person in our family has exactly ONE pair of pants that fits this fall.  That's not going to work now that the temps are in the 20s at night and only 50s during the day.  I'm mentally ready to cough up a bunch of money on pants for 5.

~~Kristina~~ Mama to DS(10/30/01), DD1(VBAC 3/28/04) and DD2(HBAC 5/21/06)
#238 of 296 Old 10-26-2013, 07:48 AM

I'm lol at the pants free jaygee household.

#239 of 296 Old 10-26-2013, 08:04 AM

JG/All - yeah, this has been a head-trip literally and figuratively. For one, I didnt know for many months that it had started, but now that I know that's what is happening I can look back and see that symptoms started in May of last year with verbal memory loss, which, it turns out, is a pretty classic symptom, but wow is that a weird thing to experience. Then, if you remember, I would joke about being bi-polar b/c of how high and low I felt during a cycle. I suspect that my hormones were sort of going into overdrive first before they gassed out in the Spring. Meanwhile, I'm still cycling mostly like clockwork, its just that I have every symptom in the book of not just peri-menopause but menopause, which comes in the form of hair loss and glaring changes in skin, which make me look at least ten years older. One hears that this is coming, but it is really shocking when it happens, particularly b/c it happened in one month. And its not a vanity thing, but a lab-experiment curiosity thing, like whoa, I look dramatically different; much drier, much thinner, kind of gray or pale or just lifeless.

But, when I went on estrogen (and I am on an estradiol patch, not the HRT from the controversial WHI study), every symptom got better or went away in like a week. So surreal. And then further surreal is how happy I am on the right dose of E2, like happier than Ive ever been in my life. I'm the one who had ammenorhea technically until I was 37. Two of my babies were made by doing a progesterone withdrawal and taking clomid (the third one came magically after I started meditating and got a regular cycle and O'd). Point is, I am struck by how much hormones are part of us (duh!), how much they govern our experience in the world. I have thought off and on of how much my life might be different if Id had functioning hormones my whole life, b/c I feel more confident, more adventurous, just basically more 'in life' than ever. I know part of that is just being in the 'F you' forties (which Im loving), but yeah. Its been a head trip

And that's just the bare bones of the mind altering experience Ive been through in terms of mood (never so low in my life, not even remotely. Never had anxiety ever - awful thing!), and how that connects to my mom, who was a stumbling non-functioning alcoholic from the time she was 40 on. Um yeah. Dont think they had a clue about hormones and mood in the '70's, or hormones relationship to addiction (yeah, there is a link btwn low estrogen and alcohol cravings, which I also experienced and which terrified me, as you can imagine)

All background to the pamphlet lol.gif

MelW - goodvibes.gif with grandma. She is so blessed

JG - good luck with the clothes. Thrift stores?

Geo/Gaye/Kerc/Real - I looked at flights, and considered riving, but I dont think its going to happen greensad.gif So close, and yet so far lol.gif Have a great visit

#240 of 296 Old 10-26-2013, 10:02 AM

JayGee - Happy shopping!  Dh came home from St. Louis having spent many happy hours finding "amazing deals" at the Scholar Shop.  Do you know it?  It's across from the Galleria on Clayton Rd on the north end of the mall.  Dh also recommends the Goodwill Brentwood at 9116 Manchester.

He asks, "who's the lucky one who gets to go to the Scholar Shop?" :lol

I also vote for leaving your dh to his own devices while you go to Nantucket and enjoy some low-drama family time.  It's too sad to think of you missing that and too painful to think of how uncomfortable it could be if you go but are constantly and acutely aware of how two parts of the family you love just don't mesh.  And then dh doesn't have to feel resentful that his vacation time is being ruined by your family.  

Sparkle - :lurknotes2.gif Thank you for being our guinea pig!  

MelW - Good vibes to your grandma, hope you managed to get some sleep last night too.  And speaking of Dingo meet-ups, I realized the other day that I never posted any pix after my meet-up with MelW!  So here we are, in all our Dingo glory.  I'm still sad that forgot to bring a camera to the beach where we swam, it is just so freaking beautiful there.  But one of these days we'll get back.

So Denver Dingos!  Photos! 

A little bit grasshopper a little bit ant   energy.gifom.gif

Tags
Fitness , Weight Management

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page