Mothering Forum banner

Sprinting joyfully into October - the Dingo thread

8K views 295 replies 16 participants last post by  sparkletruck 
#1 ·
~~~~~~~~~~~~
jog.gif
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Welcome to the October 2013 Dingo thread.
run.gif

New visitors to the Dingo Thread may ask, "but, what is a Dingo?"

Dingoes are mamas (defined loosely, when needed) who run, walk, cycle, tri, and participate in whatever sport they need to sustain their awesome mama selves in lives that are definitely dynamic. Sometimes, a Dingo is injured, or life takes a turn, and she has to take a break from her chosen sport. Whether active or aspiring, Dingoes support one another in spirit. When two Dingoes are in the same place at the same time, something incredibly special happens. This is called a Dingo Meetup. They are relatively rare, and so we try to record them with photographic evidence.

Are you a Dingo? You just might be, if:

You sometimes perform acts of brilliance in order to squeeze a workout into a busy week.

You're never ashamed of coming in at the back of the pack, even if you're used to coming in faster.

You have found yourself sincerely respecting and admiring moms in all forms, observing how they're doing it for love, and growing from their experiences as well as your own

You won't know until you try, and all comers are welcome.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Awesome opening written by jo at some point in the past.
blowkiss.gif

See less See more
#2 ·
jog.gif
2013 Dingo Race List

:

Loftmama - Milam Settler's Day 5K, November 23, 2013

jog.gif
jog.gif

tjsmama - Colorado Marathon 1/2 marathon, May 4, 2014

tjsmama - Ironman 70.3 Boulder, June 15, 2014
tjsmama - Boulder Peak Triathlon, July 13, 2014
tjsmama - Ironman Boulder, August 3, 2014

Special dates:

candle.gif
September 24, 2012 Annual Griffin Memorial 5k - where ever you may be that day, whether organized or solo, whether running, walking, cycling, meandering or otherwise, please hold Griffin Patrick (and all those born silently or too soon) in your hearts.
stillheart.gif

Other places to find the Dingos:

: cooking blog
:

knitting blog

We have a private Yahoo group. Submit a request to join and mention your MDC
username in the request so we know who you are.

We also have a private location map. Send a PM to eksmom to get info
and join up.

#3 ·
run.gif
2013 Dingo Race Results
partytime.gif

mommajb - Tinkerbell Half, January 20, 2013

mel38 - Charlie Post Classic 15k - January 26, 2013 - 1:38:46

realrellim - Yeti Chase 10K, January 27, 2013

bec - Desert Classic Half Marathon, February 2, 2013

realrellim - Ralston Creek Half Marathon, February 10, 2013 - 1:59:47

tjsmama - Runnin' of the Green Lucky 7k, March 10, 2013 - 41:58

JayGee - AOH 5k - March 10, 2013 - 27:48 (DS's time - 26:53, for his first 5K ever!)

poppywise - Oakland Half Marathon, March 24, 2013

Mel38 - Cooper River Bridge Run 10k, April 5, 2013 - 1:00:28

Mel38 - TryCharleston Sprint Triathlon, April 20, 2013 - 1:32:21

bec - Kentucky Derby Marathon, April 27, 2013

tjsmama - Cherry Creek Sneak 10 Miler, April 28, 2013 1:41:58

bec - Indy Mini Marathon, May 4, 2013

Mel38 - Hell Hole Swamp Gator Run 10k, May 4, 2013 - 1:00:?

Dmitrizmom - Pieathlon, May 11, 2013

JayGee & DD1 - St. Louis Girls on the Run 5k, May 11, 2013 - 41:00

realrellim - Colfax Marathon, May 19, 2013 - 4:00:44

tjsmama - Colfax 1/2 Marathon, May 19, 2013 - 2:15:54

Dmitrizmom - Gladiator Assault Challenge, May 19, 2013

Mel38 - Charleston Sprint Triathlon Series #1, May 19, 2013 - 1:26:37

realrellim - Boulder Bolder 10k, May 27, 2013 - 53:11

tjsmama - Boulder Bolder 10k, May 27, 2013 - 59:07

Mel38 - Lowcountry Splash 2.4 mile swim, June 1, 2013 - 57:36

Nickarolaberry - Amica Iron Horse Half Marathon, June 2, 2013 - 2:30-ish

Dmitrizmom - Grinnell Games Half Marathon, June 8, 2013

mel38 - Charleston Sprint Triathlon Series #2, June 16, 2013 - 1:26:03 PR!

tjsmama - Loveland Lake to Lake Olympic Tri, June 22, 2013

realrellim - Winter Park Half Marathon, June 29, 2013

realrellim - Run for Independence, July 6, 2013

Dmitrizmom - Iowa Games Triathlon, July 14, 2013 - 1:41:06

bec - Door County Triathlon - Half Ironman, July 21, 2013 - 7:55 PR!!

poppywise - The Giant Race San Francisco Half Marathon, August 4, 2013 - 2:39:12

Dmitrizmom - Run for Blood, August 4, 2013 - (31:52 a PR by over 3 minutes!!)

mel38 - Charleston Sprint Tri Series #5, August 11, 2013 - 1:31:20

tjsmama - Rattlesnake Triathlon Crazy Back-to-Back (Oly & Sprint), August 17-18, 2013 - 3:23:10 & 1:27:39

Realrellim - Rattlesnake Sprint Tri, August 18, 2013 1:32:23

Realrellim - West Side Duathlon, August 25, 2013

mel38 - Francis Marion Dirt Dash Half Marathon, September 7, 2013 - 2:25:22

1jooj - Fox Cities Half, Sept 22, 2013

Nickarolaberry - Providence Rock n Roll half marathon, Sept 29, 2013 - 2:08:54

bec - Des Plaines River Trail Half Marathon, October 19, 2013 - 2:51 with DD2 & DH!

tjsmama - Rock n' Roll Denver 1/2 Marathon, October 20, 2013 - 2:06:48 (course PR!!)

realrellim - Kooky Spooky Half Marathon, October 26, 2013 - 1:56:26 (PR!!!)

Nickarolaberry - Half Marathon,

tjsmama - New York Marathon, November 3, 2013 - 4:44:59

mel38 - New York Marathon, November 3, 2013 - 4:46:31

2010 Results

2011 Results

2012 Results

#4 ·
Oh wow, it's October.
huh.gif
Not only are my eyes twitchy, my shoulder has started twitching and I'm getting that run-down cough. Does anyone else have that happen to them or should I be worried it's something else? Strike that. Not worrying.

If you didn't see it, I posted just this morning in the last thread a reply to Geo, JayGee, my new dh experiment and thoughts of our Dingo sister.
heartbeat.gif

#5 ·
Hi mamas. Subbing. Thinking of you and your dh, JayGee. Trying to explain this to my 10th graders without being too...let's just say...POLITICAL about it.
:eyesroll

Anyway, back still uncomfortable so no running for me (yet) today.

#6 ·
Lofty - You are stressed. My eyelid starts to twitch when I'm stressed, and I'm guessing your cold is related as well
greensad.gif
Also, I love what you are trying to do with Dh, but I think much of the frustration, at least in these parts, is that I have to A. discern the need for that kind of intervention, B. figure out what should be done, C. enact it, and last but not least D. hope that he has the emotional insight to be aware of his own feelings and the causes of them so that he can begin to communicate. It's the D. that I think is the biggest obstacle here. On the plus side; my Dh is alarmingly good humored almost all the time. He is a Zen idiot who just chooses to focus on the positive and cant understand why everyone doesn't do the same. I have never dealt with his moods or stress or anything, which, considering that I have those in spades sometimes, makes for a functioning family. However, the idiot part is that he diesnt understand those moods and doesnt know what to do with someone who has them (besides ignore them and wait for it to be over). Like JG, I feel very alone when these things happen, and since it has been so bad this year, we have had a lot of distance and resentment. I'm feeling the need for less good moods from him and more depth/breadth of feeling. And then I'm the emotional f*** up and he's the emotional golden boy. Meanwhile, I am the one anticipating everyone's emotional and physical needs (I find the resources and read the books about Ds and then get Dh up to speed on our approach, for example), making everything happen in everyone's life in this house, etc. b/c I'm the one who has that radar from personal experience... I wish someone would do it for me sometimes... which is why him helping me with the research really helped ... It's a work in progress ...

#8 ·
Lofty -
:Hug
That's so hard mama. And I'm sure the fallout of watching such a vibrant woman go downhill so fast will play out for a while. On dh "use your words honey".

Real - That man certainly keeps you on your toes. You are amazing.

I've got to get back to working but wanted to just send out some
:goodvibes
for JayGee and everyone else who is dealing with rocky roads today.

#9 ·
lofty - yeah, if it was PAID leave, I would be dancing around like it was Christmas. But sadly, it's not. Thinking of your MIL
hug.gif

DH went to the commissary to stock up after he got his notice today. Apparently, the commissary is shutting down tomorrow too, so they were having a huge sale on all perishables. My freezer is so stocked with meat, it's amazing!

I'm running the oven cleaning function on our oven today (for the first time since we moved in 3 years ago
bag.gif
) and boy, does it stink!

#10 ·
JG, glad you found out about the commissary in time!!!

Sparkle, there's no easy answer is there? No formula? It's just hard, dammit.

Plady, thanks for the answer: use your words, honey. Simpler is better and I like that. I also like what someone else said (Towson?) "Read the room."

Really shouldn't be here. I've been making medication spreadsheets all morning. "Neccessary." "As needed." "Use when..." Plus others... At least I'm getting my spreadsheet fix, right?

#12 ·
Lofty, I like the idea of practicing/teaching to verbalized feelings. I'm (mostly) fortunate to be married to the son of a narrative therapist, so he's good at using his words. A common theme in my life when with a group of women: they talk about their husband's lack of communication, I complain that I wish mine would just keep it to himself a little bit more. The grass is always greener, right?

Sparkle, I learn so much hearing your perspective on your relationship. I'm the zen one here. I like to think I'm understanding, and certainly work to pick up slack when my partner struggles, but sometimes I feel a need to ignore/avoid for fear of getting dragged down into the pit of gloom. I also think that the love languages stuff really applies to us- I'm absolutely an "acts of service" person, and often respond to his struggles with nice meals and mowing the lawn, when he'd prefer quality time and conversation. Meanwhile, I can be found out running his mail to the post office.

JayGee, good luck with the furlough. Way to stock up!

I picked up a 12 hour shift on Sunday, and then we had a huge storm and power outage at home. It was a slow windy/rainy drive home, then a candlelit evening in bed. Otherwise I'm busy but not swamped with school and work. I got an A+ on my first health promotion paper, and have my first epidemiology/biostats exam on Friday.

My oldest is doing the "30 days of yoga challenge" on YouTube, which is a series of 20 min yoga videos. I'm trying to join her as much as possible.

#13 ·
Subbing.

I called in sick to work tonight.
bag.gif
In my defense, I do have a raging UTI, and my PA mommed me into it...and legitimately, I do pretty much feel like crap. I just feel kind of bad calling in for a UTI, especially when we're crazy busy, you know? But on the other hand, I slept all day yesterday, went to bed at 9pm last night, took a four hour nap today (two hours each before and after my doctor appt) and am ready to go to bed again at 9pm. So, I guess I really am sick?

rr~
ROTFLMAO.gif
I was going to try to run 6 miles today. Or failing that, to go to spin class. Instead, see above. Sigh. We'll see how I feel tomorrow, I guess, but I may not get anything but my 14 mile long run in this week, if that. On the bright side, it IS a drop-back week...I just don't think they meant to drop back THIS much.
rolleyes.gif

mel38~Can you put the Colorado Marathon 1/2 marathon on the race list for me? May 4, 2014.

#14 ·
lofty--your method makes perfect sense and should work. You've also hit the problem on the head. Anyhow, I think the therapist suggested something similar. It requires work on DH's end that he hasn't been willing to do, but hopefully your DH will respond more positively (and likely will). On a different topic, I"m sorry about your MIL. That is what I understand about those situations and yes, it's very hard. About the cough, I get it when my asthma is acting up. Usually it's related to a cold or allergies; sometimes it's definitely connected to stress. Stress can inflame the body, so I don't think it's unusual, though clearly not optimal.

Nic--hope your back is better soon.

MelW--I'm laughing about the grass is always greener.

RR: need to run and do not want to. Apparently this is the way Tuesdays go.

NRR: Lots of things are flying through my head but I'll settle on this one: the Jessica Ridgeway trial was set to begin Thursday. Today Austin Sigg decided, against the advice of his lawyers, to plead guilty. Obviously, that's a good thing and it will save both families the pain and horror of a trial. It wasn't even a plea bargain, just him pleading guilty to all of it. He had said that he would. And he did. And if you ever want to think about something that completely messes up the way we want to think about the nature and good and evil, there it is. It would be so much easier to think about him like I think about oh, Ted Bundy, as all-monster. But monsters don't lie on their mother's bed, waiting for mom to come home so they can confess. It's more like Dostoevsky than Law and Order, and so much more tragic and harder to reconcile. I guess it leaves me wondering, once again, about the capability every one of us has inside us to be evil or good, or both.

It will have been a year on Saturday. For her and her family, and for his.
candle.gif

#15 ·
Real - I have had similar thoughts about sanity as you describe about the capacity for good and evil. Having come to the line where I can feel the wind from the butterfly's wing of insanity (I read that somewhere and thought it was pretty accurate), I am much more empathetic and moved by others suffering. Sanity is taken for granted, and insanity is marginalized as other b/c it is so terrifying to think of how easily something so awful can happen (and then be regretted) - physically or mentally - to us or our loved ones. Anyway
candle.gif
for them all

MelW - I think of your situation a lot too - it gives me insight into how hard it must be for Dh. I suspect you are a little more aware and a little more helpful, but I think my Dh is coming a long (what choice does he have
redface.gif
). I am very much an "acts of service" kind of person as well, and he is a hug-will-help person. I was able to help a friend last week when I ran into her after school pick-up at the bookstore with our kids and she was having a wreck of a day, and I wasnt. One of the windows of light in her life is the potential to start grad school in the spring; I asked what was happening with her app. She said she has to call and track it down but hasnt been able to, so I said I would. She ended up with the name and number of the proper person to talk to and got it sorted (I also took her son with me for the afternoon and then took her and him out to dinner). I mention that b/c I knew that sometimes even making a bureaucratic phone call is just too much, but I dont know if my Dh realizes how much something seemingly so small can help. he does now b/c he saw me do it
winky.gif
Anyway, I have other thoughts but Ill pm you

Gaye - you do sound sick and you should rest! Im sorry things are crazy at work and you feel bad about it, but rest.
goodvibes.gif

JG - thinking of you during the furlough

RR: run/walk and bike intervals

#18 ·
Safe travels, Jooj! Hope Paris was great
smile.gif

Heading out for a bike ride this morning. It's been a couple of weeks since I've been able to bike with my friend, so I'm looking forward to it.

NRR - DH home again. This furlough crap better end soon. We're going to run out of money eventually. Although I really do like having him around during the day
mischievous.gif
!

#19 ·
wave.gif
Happy travels, Jo!

JG - so sorry about all the trouble and stress this shut-down is causing! Yay for a full freezer, though, and try to enjoy some family time for a few (hopefully not too many more!) days.

MelW - congratulations on your A+!! And the 30 day yoga challenge sounds neat.

Real - What a troubled and complex person. It's hard to even think about him as a son, and about his mother. It sure doesn't fit my idea about what he was and what motivated him. Very sad time for the victim's family.

Lofty - I'm so sorry to read about your MIL. I hope you get some swimming in during this stressful time. BTW, your description of how blissful the swimming felt lately really has me yearning to get back in the pool. Thanks for that.

Nick - how is your back? Have you heard from our Dingo friend lately? Just wondering how things are going...

Gaye - I've got you down for that race. I hope you are feeling better today! Best to rest and not drag out the infection, give yourself time to heal really well. You've got a marathon coming up
:wink

I missed all of September, but have been reading and trying to catch up. All I can say is, this school year has been challenging so far. I have reached a point where I know that I need to seek out professional help for DS, at least to begin by getting him an official diagnosis. I know so many of you have been down this road before, and - without going into too much detail today - let me just say that I'm so happy to have you guys there in case I need help, direction, shoulder to cry on, whatever.
:grouphug

#20 ·
My back is on the mend. I ran on Tuesday and am hoping to get one in today. I registered for another half, on November 10th (Monson Memorial Classic Half Marathon).

Our friend up north is hanging in there, despite expected (but still really
:angry
) challenges designed to undermine her will and confidence in herself. She is safe and I'm sure would appreciate continued prayers, support, and good wishes flowing her way.

I am also dealing with a ds who is totally miserable at school, and probably should be evaluated (at least for my own peace of mind) and I'm not sure if dh will go for that.
:irked
I am starting the district paperwork anyway and we'll see what happens. I don't think where he is now is a great place for him, but unfortunately my options are very limited and not altogether different except in size. Bleh.

Dh got a job. Did I mention that? It's nearby. So we're here, for the foreseeable future. Not altogether sure how I feel about that but at least the kids are happy with the stability.

#21 ·
Mel38 -
:grouphug
We're here.

Gaye - yes, rest! Anyway, you always seem to do best on interrupted training right?

Jo - Oh lalala! Safe travels today, I hope you'll have some chances to check in from the next stage in your journey.

JayGee - I can't stop thinking about you and everyone else thrown into limbo. Hoping for a speedy resolution.

Nic - Congrats on the Providence half. I think your time is a great one, especially if you were chatting the whole way! Glad dh has a job, does that reopen any options for you?

MelW - A+! Nice job! Way to lead the pack! I'm very interested in all the talk of carers vs. caretakens and love language types. I love that we've got a range of representatives here too. I was chuckling at your thought that you sometimes wish dh would just shut up about feelings already though, that's got to be a rarer issue among wives.

Sparkle - Thinking of you, hoping that worse doesn't come to worst.

Real -
:Hug
and
:goodvibes
for a sense of closure for all concerned, you included.

Had Shanti Chicken for dinner last night, sending thoughts and prayers her way.

#22 ·
I am sorry about the kiddos needing diagnosed and for the mamas needing a hug and understanding.

RR: none this week but have plans on getting in yesterday's 7 miler at some point today. Have had something every day and night this week and I am worn out.

NRR: went to lawyer about being sued and the bottom line is that three of the violations will be easy and one costly and lengthy. The good part is that we don't have to cut our vacation in half as the lawyer can move the court date. Bad news is lawyer is 3 grand and the varience is about the same amount. sigh. Two kids start braces this month (2 plus years for each of them and follow up for another 4 years) at around 9 grand. THANKFULLY our new insurance will cover orthodontics at 50% (lets hope there is no cap!!!!). Dh lost an aunt and an uncle the last week. Can you say overwhelmed and need a vacation!!??

shoot just looked at the clock and it's time to pick up ds2 from school already!!

#23 ·
Mel & Nic, please let me know if I can help with any direction on testing. As I've mentioned, I've amassed enough experience to write a book. I'm always happy to help a dingo.

Congrats on the stability Nic. I hope this job sticks.

Lisa, so glad you got the legal things on the right path. Sounds pricey and expensive.

We're going to RadioLab tonight. Anyone listen? I can't wait.

#24 ·
Yay. Im glad to see this, even if its a "no, duh" kind of thing. Apparently scientists have found that reading literature (as opposed to non-fiction, or cheap lit.) increases reader's empathy. Must get DD1 to stop reading so much lit. and find some literature for ds other than sci-fi...

RM -
goodvibes.gif

Nic and MelW38 - If comic relief ia any help, my Ds, on monday, wrote in chalk in front of the door to his classroom (ie, in the walkway/doorway outside his class): "You suck Mr. Teacher's Name! I hate you!"
bag.gif
The teacher was kind enough to take a corroborating picture to include in his email to me
redface.gif

#25 ·
RM - yikes, what a lot of cash all at one time
:(
So sorry about all the stress going on right now. I hope you still got your run in.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sparkletruck View Post

Yay. Im glad to see this, even if its a "no, duh" kind of thing. Apparently scientists have found that reading literature (as opposed to non-fiction, or cheap lit.) increases reader's empathy. Must get DD1 to stop reading so much lit. and find some literature for ds other than sci-fi...
Thank you for the link - very interesting!!

:lol
about your DS's note to the teacher.

Thanks, Geo! If you weren't always so busy, I would say heck yes, you should write a book! At least Navigating the Education System For Dummies, or Advocating for Your Child 101
:)

#26 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkletruck View Post

Or Toni Morrison?
:mischief

Groan on your DS' writing. At least he chose chalk.

Radio Lab this evening. One friend is cancelling because his DS got sent home early from school for misbehavior. Something's going around.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.