Mothering Forum banner

What is your biggest meal of the day?

1K views 16 replies 16 participants last post by  itsnat 
#1 ·
The title says it all. Which meal is the largest for you. I am finding that if I eat too little for breakfast or lunch, then I want to snack a lot all day. However, I usually don't want much for breakfast. Dinner is kinda a joke at our house right now--too many things going on that it is usually just "grab what you can". So, I am thinking this week to try a small/medium amount for breakfast, a substantial lunch, and a small/medium dinner. I am not a fan of the 6 small meals method--didn't work for me and I never felt satisfied. I don't mind the idea of a small snack in the afternoon though, especially if dinner is going to be late.

Amy

#2 ·
Lunch is biggest for me--when I'm hungriest and also when I am able to indulge a little without making my weight an issue. Or on those busy days, I can have breakfast and a couple of good snacks, then something substantial at 2:00 or 3:00. As much as I love dinner, it really needs to be the smallest meal of the day and it is more often than not bigger than it needs to be.

#4 ·
Breakfast is usually my highest caloric meal of the day. I've lost nearly 30 lbs! I eat the same breakfast every day. I eat about every 3 hours. Breakfast is 4 egg whites plus 1 whole egg cooked in coconut oil. Plus oats measured dry 1/4 C, oat bran 1/4 C I simply use my tea kettle water to cover the oat mixture and cover with a plate while I cool the rest. I top the outs with fresh berries in season or, I use frozen. I like raspberries an blueberries, and always topped with 1 Tbs ground flax seeds, cinnamon, I drink water with my vitamins and fish oil then I start sipping me green tea.

#5 ·
Ouhh CookiePie, sounds good, how long have you had this routine?

When I was working out I had a bowl of oatmeal everyday, topped with strawberries (not in season anymore anyway! ahah, excuses excuses) and maple syrup. Then depending on when the baby would nap I would eat a yogourt before my run if feeling hungry or after.

Then a good lean protein with a salad. Love the organic girl packs, topped with cherry tomatoes, 4-5 pecans, maybe cucumbers and dressed with some hemp oil and balsamic vinegar. Mium!

Since I work evenings I usually eat dinner about 6:30 and eat leftovers from lunch but revisited or from dinner the day before. I usually eat a normal portion but always get a couple of chocolates afterward (it's not good to have 50% off candy at work!). Some days I'm alright at controling my sweets intakes and sometimes I feel completely addicted to it and I end up eating too much, feeling shitty.

#8 ·
I find that I am most hungry at dinner time, and I usually like to snack in the evenings, even if its just a couple pieces of chocolate and some tea. So for me I keep the calories low during the day (< 400 per meal) and save them up for evening. I'm usually pretty busy during the day so my mind is not on eating so much.

Breakfast is easy because 1/2 cup (before cooking) of oatmeal gives me a good, filling breakfast. I add a tbsp of "Holy Crap" cereal (full of dense nutrients like chia seeds, hemp hearts, buckwheat, dried fruit, etc) and a tbsp of brown sugar, and about 1/4 cup of milk. Keeps me full for at least 3 hours, very satisfying, and only 300 calories. My other go-to breakfast is a bowl of cereal (I like Life cereal best). 1.5 cups of that and 0.75 cups of milk puts me at about 350 calories.

Lunch at this time of year is almost always soup (homemade usually) with either a slice or two of bread and butter, or a handful of crackers. Around 350 calories.

I really like pasta for dinner, so doing this allows me to enjoy that more often. Or if I choose a lighter dinner (turkey chili, for example) then I have room for desert! ;-)

I've been eating this way for almost 4 months and have lost 15 lbs so far (my goal is 20).

#9 ·
I feel so much better with a moderate breakfast, substantial lunch, and a light, mostly vegetable dinner that includes fat. So dinner feels light but usually has a good amount of butter and egg. That keeps me satisfied during the night and energetic during the day. Sadly, it's often difficult to prepare and plan ahead well enough to not fall into the baked-good breakfast, grab sushi lunch, ravenous for dinner trap :/

#11 ·
Like @CookiePie I also have a very large breakfast, usually 5 egg whites filled with spinach and 1/4 of an avocado, 1 slice of american cheese and 1 piece of whole wheat toast. Between breakfast and lunch I'll usually have an apple or grapefruit, lunch is usually a salad with grilled chicken. Right after work I get in some sort of exercise, it's usually either a jog, workout dvd, or a yoga class. Then for dinner I have lately been making protein shakes and they keep me full all night. I usually add a large handful of spinach and kale, 4 strawberries 1 cup of ice and 1/2 cup of of light almond milk, and topped off with 1 scoop of chocolate whey protein powder. I use Beachbodys whey protein powder (http://www.beachbody.com/product/supplements/whey_protein_powder.do), high in protein and low in sugar- make sure if you use protein powder to read the label because a lot of powders can be loaded with sugar. It is delicious and will keep be full for hours. Plus its easy to take on the road if I have to pick up the kids from their activities etc.

#12 ·
Mine is lunch........Hey!!! is that not right??? I skip breakfast most often.......Well that I know is wrong. Always have a good nutritious breakfast because it gives you all the energy you need for the day. Eating heavy before going to bed is the biggest cause of obesity these days. Mom used to say "Breakfast like a King, Lunch like a Prince, Dinner like a Beggar" hahaha thats cool!!

#13 ·
My usual biggest meal of the day is breakfast or lunch. I am a breakfast eater so I eat porridge, egg, juice and fruits it helps me to be productive at work. I can't go to work without eating my breakfast because I feel so weak. Every weekend our family eat lunch together we usually prepared heavy meals like meat, vegetables and some desserts.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.