Postpartum weight loss- who is with me? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 27 Old 10-07-2013, 03:50 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hey there mamas! It seems like just yesterday that I started this thread, which turned into a pretty awesome series of threads that helped me shed about 60lbs after my last pregnancy. And here I am again, 3 and a half years later, and I need your support again! I really could not have done it without the amazing few mamas that I met on my journey and I'm really looking forward (wellllll sort of) to the experience again! FORTUNATELY this go around I started my pregnancy at a healthy 135lbs.. but I gained 50! I'm 6 weeks and one day postpartum and weighed in this morning at 167lbs. I would normally say yikes, but looking back at my journey over the last few years makes me really grateful for this starting point and the fact that its ONLY 30lbs! Not really sure on a goal timeframe yet, but ideally I'd like to be 150lbs by Thanksgiving and take it from there. Anyway, here I go again, and I'd love it if you would join me!

"The most important work you and I will ever do will be within the walls of our own homes." -Harold B. Lee
#2 of 27 Old 10-20-2013, 07:28 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)

Congratulations on your new baby! It looks like your post might have been missed, so I'm bumping it up for attention. :bump: Anyone else postpartum and looking to lose weight?

hh2.gif Head over to the Holiday Helper forum and be a part of this wonderful Mothering tradition! joy.gif

Wondering about Mothering in general? Check out Mothering's User Agreement! smile.gif

#3 of 27 Old 10-20-2013, 11:51 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

I'll join you. My baby will be 2 months tomorrow. I'm already below my prepregnancy weight, but I have a lot more to lose (hurray for starting pregnancy obese). I have lost about 65 lbs in the 2 months, so I'm setting a low-ish goal of losing 7 pounds by Thanksgiving. I think my body needs to have a break from fast weight loss, a little too taxing.

Thanks for starting a postpartum thread.

tea6.gifcancer-beating wife to caffix.gif DH since 7/4/09, mother to REPlaySkateboard04HL.gifDS 5/1/11 + energy.gifDD 8/21/2013

angel1.gif (4/09) angel1.gif (5/12)

#4 of 27 Old 10-30-2013, 03:04 PM

It kind of looks like this thread needs another bump!

I only weigh myself once a week or so, but it looks like I'm maintaining my weight, which is kind of hard with Halloween candy sitting around. How are you doing, OP?

tea6.gifcancer-beating wife to caffix.gif DH since 7/4/09, mother to REPlaySkateboard04HL.gifDS 5/1/11 + energy.gifDD 8/21/2013

#5 of 27 Old 11-09-2013, 09:53 AM

Me, too!  I'm a month pp & anxious to shed the 25 pounds left....  the first 20 came off fast.

nak.gif Relentless mommy of 2 mancubs, 8 & 10 years old.... and now a little lady (Oct 2013)!      computergeek2.gif   http://relentlessmommy.com   
#6 of 27 Old 11-11-2013, 07:46 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Hey, I'll join in too. :-) My newest babe is 14 weeks old tomorrow, and I've lost the 40 lbs I put on while I was pregnant. Now I need to start tackling the weight from the past 4.5 years that has slowly crept up! I am currently 191 lbs. Here are my goals-
186 by 12/9 (end of the weight loss competition at my gym)
180 by 1/5 (family wedding)
165- wedding weight- by 2/22 (my birthday)
149- college weight- by 5/26 (Memorial Day)

Right now I'm really working hard at portion control, eating unprocessed foods, and not eating after 7 PM. I'm working out 3-5 times a week, usually weights with some cardio (cycling, walking or elliptical). I've also recently discovered swimming and I'm really enjoying it.

What is everyone else doing for diet and exercise?

Mama to Iris (01/10) and Gus (08/13)
#7 of 27 Old 11-12-2013, 01:44 AM

Woohoo, five more pounds dropped off so twenty to go. I'm only five weeks postpartum so I'm just trying to control my eating like you are, especially in the evening, but walking while babywearing my 12.5# newborn is all the exercise I'm doing until the Dr clears me for exercise. Hoping breastfeeding helps!

nak.gif Relentless mommy of 2 mancubs, 8 & 10 years old.... and now a little lady (Oct 2013)!      computergeek2.gif   http://relentlessmommy.com   
#8 of 27 Old 11-12-2013, 11:01 AM

I've dropped 4 lbs, so 3 more to go by Thanksgiving. I'm 233 right now. No real exercise here, which is why I have weight trouble in the first place. I'd really like to add something in, perhaps to build muscle.

Congrats on your losses, coffee and Serafina.

#9 of 27 Old 11-12-2013, 02:05 PM

What kind of exercise do you guys enjoy? I really like les mils Bodypump, which I do at home since I downloaded some of videos. I've done them at the gym in class settings for years but love the convenience of doing it at home so I bought the equipment.
I have a love hate relationship with running. Hate it in the first ten minutes, dislike it in the second ten mins, then like it. Love it after.

#10 of 27 Old 11-16-2013, 10:08 AM

I would like to join in too! My baby was bOrn on Sept 22. I started out heavy and gained a ton of weight. This was my 4th and final baby, I am 28 and want to get down to a healthy weight before summer ( completely vein I know) I weight 185 now and would like to lose 50 lbs. I did it after I had my first child. I didn't breastfeed her so it was a little less complicated. Breastfeeding has always been a challenge for me and it going great so fat and I am afraid of messing that up by noyt eating enough.

My plan is cutting refinefd sugar and refined grains and exercise. What is everyone else doing?
#11 of 27 Old 11-17-2013, 01:16 AM

Cutting sugar and all simple carbs should do it! I wish I had the willpower!!

I'm trying to be active, make such a busy schedule for ourselves that I'll forget to eat or at least never eat out of boredom, and wearing my 13# (&growing fast!) Baby in the wrap makes just walking around a huge energy burning activity. I try to wear her most of the time and keep my posture great, when walking about the city. I prefer having her close, and she's a heavy weight! :-) double bonus. I try to eat only whole foods, not processed. Plenty of fruits & vegetables.

I'm so disappointed at how slow the scale is moving. I have my postpartum checkup soon and then will start doing weight training exercise in earnest, 3 times a week.

#12 of 27 Old 11-20-2013, 08:33 AM

Ok she's actually 14.5 pounds already and I babywear her hours per day sometimes.  I would imagine that would nicely burn tons of calories, in combination with breastfeeding, but the scale just stays put.  I'm really down about it.  I'm  3 pants sizes up, and went to the thrift store where everything was 5 dollars and bought a few pairs of pants in sizes that looked super generous so I could have something to wear, but disappointingly when I went to try them on, they were all SKIN TIGHT except one pair of stretch black velvet pants (sizing can vary so much brand to brand, they were all the same 3 sizes up from my normal pre pregnancy pants size).  I wanted to cry in the dressing room.  
I feel at the moment that there's no way for my weight to budge without hunger, but when breastfeeding i just don't want to risk being hungry, for fear it will affect my supply.   Maybe I shouldn't worry since I have a pretty huge milk supply that only chokes her with it's overactive let down and massive quantity..... but still, it's a risk.  :(   But emotionally I'm totally stressed at this weight and don't know what to do other than to totally cut out eating anything but fruit and veggies after 4pm or other such drastic measures....

#13 of 27 Old 11-20-2013, 01:25 PM

Serafina, my weight is stuck too (well, more like bouncing up and down depending on if I eat well or eat junk). I have been snacking too much, and not moving enough. I really need to up my fruits and veggies, not just for weight loss, but for overall health. I have cancer and tomorrow is the start of chemotherapy.

Are you getting enough sleep? I've heard that it's hard to lose when you're not getting enough rest.

#14 of 27 Old 11-21-2013, 12:35 PM

I am very sorry to hear about the chemo and wish you all the best in the fight ahead. Certainly puts my pity party over my spare tire into perspective and makes me feel ashamed.

#15 of 27 Old 11-21-2013, 07:20 PM

Serafina, I don't think you need to feel bad. People have different problems, and just because you're currently healthier than I am, it doesn't mean that your worries or troubles are invalid. Thanks for your kind thoughts.

I had my first dose of chemo today and feel pretty well, just tired. My weight is stable, just need to knock out a couple of pounds this week.

#16 of 27 Old 11-27-2013, 11:37 AM

Oh my gawd. The scale this morning is currently putting me at the same weight I was when I was 9 months pregnant. Ugh! I can't believe my body sometimes!

I have a 3mo (today actually) who came early at 35wks. Luckily she was perfectly healthy. She's meeting milestones just as any other 3mo would and her weight is over 12 pounds. I just can't believe it sometimes! Babies are amazing!!!

I really do not want to count (therefore obsess over) calorie counting but the last time I lost weight steadily I was on weight watchers. I won't be forking over my money for that again ($50 an month for 2 years!!!) so I would like to ask what you ladies are doing WITHOUT calorie counting.

I don't lose weight while breastfeeding, clearly. I've gained since my daughter was born. I have a thyroid condition so it seems to be *very* hard to lose anything and would consider ditching the scale for inch loss instead.

geek.gif Mama + superhero.gifDaddy +energy.gifDD (12/20/09) = heartbeat.gif

Expecting stork-girl.gif #2 in September!

#17 of 27 Old 11-27-2013, 09:57 PM

The five pounds I thought I lost have come back 3 or 4 times. Dag nab it. If the weight would just steadily decline, I wouldn't mind how slow. A half pound a week, whatever. I have eight months until my wedding. 8 weeks post partum and had my checkup yesterday and cleared for any sort of exercise but I know it's what I eat that will make a difference, not exercise. I'm burning tons of energy breastfeeding already. But exercise will help my mood and help my energy/stamina.
I have a nasty head cold and feel achey all over so no exercise today!
Any of you guys tried mommy baby exercise classes? I guess after Christmas she's old enough (3mo minimum so they hold their heads up strong).
Eating tips??? I really need to know if there are done tricks to get my body to lose pregnancy weight!!! Tillymonster, is calorie counting the ONLY thing you do?
I guess heavy food for breakfast and getting lighter and more sparse later in the day might help? Heaping, heavy dinner portions aren't getting me anywhere but I'm so starving after a long and busy afternoon babywearing a 15# baby, that I feel famished & really feel great and replenished after a plate of food. I need lowcal options for evening....that fill me up but are light! And easy.

#18 of 27 Old 11-29-2013, 03:10 PM

I just wanted to pop in and offer my experience with pp weight loss.

I had four kids, in 8 years.  Before I had kids, I was very very fit, toned, ran and biked and walked all the time.  I had a very active job as well.  When I had my first DD (at age 23), I was still running and walking, but I couldn't lose weight.  As I continued having kids, I was making myself crazy with different diets, exercise schemes, etc.  I had a hard time just relaxing and being a mother/person, I was so obsessed with being thinner.  

Well, fast-forward to when my (then) youngest was almost four.  I got divorced, and he stopped nursing soon after.  Suddenly the weight dropped off and I was THIN again!  

Well.  I'm now the mother of an 8 month old "bonus baby."  I've never been happier...my new partner and I feel so lucky that we were able to have a baby at our ages (I'm 44 and he's 40).  Our little guy is nursing a ton, happy happy happy.  I run 4-5 mornings a week, pushing him in the jogging stroller.  I work part-time housecleaning with DS on my back.  I'm WAY more active then when my first four were little (I was a SAHM)  And, I am probably 20lbs heavier than I was pre-baby!  My eating habits aren't perfect (I'm snacking on jellybeans right now), but I'm dairy and gluten-free at the moment due to some sensitivities, and generally we eat pretty well.  So I'm not going to sweat it.  If I pay too much attention to the whole thing, I'm afraid that I'm going to go down the "eating disorder" path, and I've done way too many years of that.

I run/walk for mental health's sake, rather than for "losing weight."  It makes a difference for me to think of things that way.  I think for a lot of us, our bodies hold onto some weight while we're nursing our little ones.  There is a season for everything, and just because the baby is out of our bodies, doesn't mean we have to be perfect!  Be gentle with yourselves, mamas!  :)

Mom to E(11/92), H(10/95), C(4/98), S(12/00) and M(4/13)
#19 of 27 Old 12-03-2013, 09:39 AM

The same thing happened to me.  I had two kids at age 23 & 25, from a size 0/2, and during the 5 years of continuous breastfeeding, pregnancy while breastfeeding, tandem nursing, and finally just nursing the younger one, I could not shake off the last ten or fifteen pounds to save my life.  Then I divorced and stopped nursing the youngest (at the time) when he was 3, and at 28, almost 29, the weight just fell off and I was thin again!  And single and dating, so that was convenient.    Now I'm in love and getting married in the summer, and he's great with my sons and we just had a baby together, and I'm much much happier but I am again struggling with the mama weight, a good 20 pounds up from when I got pregnant, and I was about ten pounds up from where I was when I met my DF when I GOT pregnant (holidays, TTC, just cozy domestic life and being happy tends to make me put on several pounds, but that only put me at a size 4 so I didn't mind).   So the combined thirty feels like a pretty big deal and I miss my clothes and how they were supposed to fit.

I think I would be happier without mirrors and a scale so I could just focus on how well I feel, how well my body has bounced back after giving birth to my daughter (absolutely no trace of evidence that I have recently had a baby either in my female system or in how I just generally feel, other than this fat I've gained around my middle), and how lucky I am that she's so healthy, calm, and happy and has really made our lives so much better.  

But I still wish I could lose the weight and get back into my cute wardrobe.  Sigh.  I'm vain.  And impatient.  And I know when I stop breastfeeding it will be twenty times easier to drop but I still wanna try to lose it now.  Sigh.

#20 of 27 Old 12-08-2013, 05:57 AM

Wow, those five pounds that kept popping back on finally stayed off for good this last week, now these last few days another two pounds came off. I assume from breastfeeding, as I have been eating as normal.
I have been trying to not eat after 5/6pm, mostly successfully. Maybe that helped!

18 pounds left!

#21 of 27 Old 12-08-2013, 05:13 PM

I want to be part of this thread too!! I am 4.5 months post partem. Before I got pregnant I lost 42lbs ( 140lbs when pregnant) on weight watchers by controlling my portions and exercising like crazy. I had a very traumatic emergency c section and my body is a mess. However, I gained 60lbs in my pregnancy and I really want to lose it, since I am over 200lbs now and at 5'3, it hurts (literally) I have a very low milk supply and have to supplement and my doctor informs me that I should not be trying to lose weight and make milk at the same time. But, I know there are lots of moms out there who do exercise ( I got a jogging stroller for that purpose because I want to run again but I think my 4.5 month old ds is too young for that) and make milk at the same time!! This weight is really bringing me down and I like to know there are other moms out there trying to get control of their weight too!
#22 of 27 Old 12-18-2013, 07:51 AM

I want to lose 20 lbs. I'm 5 wks postpartum. So far all the Christmas baking isn't helping me. Hopefully after the new year I can start eating really well and working out. Lots of stuff planned between then and now.

SAHM  to 6run.gif

#23 of 27 Old 12-19-2013, 11:13 AM

I totally relate, 100%mom.  I still haven't started exercising and I'm 10 weeks postpartum.  I had my checkup at 8 weeks postpartum and got clearance to exercise but I've had a darned head cold for over 3 weeks so I'm waiting to feel 100% energy level before I start.  I have weights at home and some videos that I love, Les Mils Bodypump.  Let's see what it does!  I think I'll try to start tomorrow.  hahaha famous last words.  

#24 of 27 Old 12-19-2013, 04:09 PM

I had my 6 wk postpartum visit today. It's been 5 wks and 3 days. The mw acted like I was already supposed to be working out. I told her I was waiting for the brown spotting to go away.

SAHM  to 6run.gif

#25 of 27 Old 05-17-2014, 04:09 AM

My sister has had her 1st baby a month ago......but she's gained a bit too much weight for a first time mother. Its a bit odd for us since no other girl in the family gained that much on her first born. Wonder whats the problem :/ I guess I can recommend her having a look at this discussion so she can shed a few lbs.

#26 of 27 Old 05-21-2014, 06:18 AM

Well, I lost my 20 lbs!!!!

SAHM  to 6run.gif

#27 of 27 Old 05-23-2014, 11:08 PM

AWESOME!  I started twice a week HIIT training with baby at the gym (it's a 45 minute class for moms and babies) in January, February, and early March.  Then I added in daily workouts via Beachbody's P90X3 home workout programs, 30 minutes a day these last nine weeks.  However, two days ago sprained my knee.  BUMMER!!

As for weight loss, not much. I have lost a tiny bit but I still have a good eleven pounds left, although I've put on a lot of muscles and toned up quite a bit and a bit of fat melted off so the scale doesn't really show much progress but the way clothes fit has changed a lot these last nine weeks since I started really cranking it up to everyday HIIT training.  So that's something.  But I'd really love to see the scale drop back down into the prepregnancy range.

Tags
Weight Management

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page