• 1 Post By katelove
  • 1 Post By silkworm
  • 1 Post By MaryClarens
  • 1 Post By Catholic Mama

#1 of 19 Old 10-07-2013, 06:08 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)

I'm really out of shape and get really overwhelmed by making big changes, like "I'm gonna start exercising an hour a day!" So I've been trying to incorporate just 10 minutes of sub-moderate exercise into my day to make it a habit.  All summer I did a 10 minute walk after my DD went to bed, but now it's dark by then and I need a new plan.  Exercise during the day has been pretty difficult, so I'd like to do something in the evening.  BUT my house is teeny tiny, so I can't jump around and make noise after kiddo's in bed.  Any ideas for something indoors that's kind of on par with the fitness level of my 10 minute walks?  My only idea so far is a bunch of sun salutations all in a row. 

#2 of 19 Old 10-08-2013, 08:11 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)

10 sun salutations would be amazing.  Throw some warrior poses in there, a twist, end with pigeon pose.  You would be walking tall.  I couldn't really think of something better and more quiet.  I like to throw in some extra push-ups in push-up pose (knees on ground) and start with some abdominal work, especially plank on the forearms and sde-arm pose, again on the forearms. 

"Let me see you stripped down to the bone. Let me hear you speaking just for me."
#3 of 19 Old 10-14-2013, 07:59 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I have been using an exercise ball for about 10-20 minutes a day.  There are so many different workouts you can do on the ball to target most trouble zones.  Plus its a quiet exercise. I use mine mostly for abs, thighs, and arms.  You can find workouts to do with the ball on youtube or pinterest. Make sure when purchasing you buy the correct size ball for your height.  I ended up ordering mine online because I am on the shorter side. You can use this guide to help pick which size ball is best for you- http://www.beachbody.com/product/fitness_gear/balance_ball.do

#4 of 19 Old 10-18-2013, 12:14 AM

Ideally if you have a mat, you can just do floor exercises.  A towel can be used, but it may slide a little much.  If you have carpet, then that makes it easier.

Some abdominals, as  long as you try to keep your back to the floor, you can quickly build up a sweat.

There are a lot of things you can do, even in small spaces.  What to do depends if you are trying to burn calories or tone up.

Example of a small space workout is that YouTube video, how to lose weight in the bathroom without taking a sh**.  Kind of hilarious, but when you really think about it, as he says in the video, "Look how small that bathroom is...  No excuses..."  I can't imagine your apartment being smaller than that bathroom.

Honolulu, HI
#5 of 19 Old 10-27-2013, 01:00 PM

Yoga and walking are my exercises of choice.  I have several yoga dvds that I use to give me a a bit of variety.  You just need a little space to do yoga workouts in and a mat.  Here's to a healthier you!

#6 of 19 Old 10-28-2013, 07:25 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I highly recommend pilates. You can get a total workout in 10 minutes. Tons of free videos are on YouTube to get you started.
#7 of 19 Old 10-31-2013, 06:00 AM

I've been doing 10 minutes of sun salutations 5x/week for the last 2 weeks and I already feel stronger (and the stretching feels so good!). I highly recommend at least that and anything else you add in is awesome as well but I do think you could see some results with just yoga.
#8 of 19 Old 11-01-2013, 04:06 AM

Hi!

I just started exercising again after having let myself go somewhat... I love yoga and have found a program that I really like! It's scientifically created for weight loss, it's really straight forward and simple, and the warm up stretches are relaxing and easy to do. It also comes with a manual, and you can download it from: www.basicyogapositions.com!

Best of luck!

#9 of 19 Old 11-01-2013, 04:47 AM

I recently participated in an influenster Dr. Scholl's® Active Series®trial.  I would certainly recommend these for anyone starting a new exercise program.  They do not slip, fit and support your foot well and no sweating feet!

In terms of exercise from home ideas.  There are "standing abs" exercises available that are 10 mins long and do not require a lot of noise making.  The firm and the abs diet both have good tapes on these.

Good Luck

#10 of 19 Old 11-01-2013, 04:58 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)

Thanks for the suggestions, everyone.  I'm sorry for not responding sooner.  I was attempting the sun salutation thing for a while, but it's kind of fizzled.  For some reason I find it more mentally challenging and easier to give up on than walking.  Maybe because it's private?  A video might be better, but I don't have a way to play one in the space I have to exercise.  Anyone know of any audio exercise things?  I will have to dig out my old exercise ball and give that a try.  That's something I hadn't considered.  Any specific youtube videos that you like?  I tend to get caught up in searching for them and never actually do any...

#11 of 19 Old 11-01-2013, 06:30 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
You could just do some body weight exercises - a minute of push-ups, a minute of squats, a minute of tricep dips, a minute of lunges, a minute of sit-ups, a minute of calf raises and then some stretches. Pretty much silent and if you have room to lie down you can do them all.
pumabearclan likes this.

Mother of two spectacular girls, born mid-2010 and late 2012  mdcblog5.gif

#12 of 19 Old 05-17-2014, 03:40 AM

I don't know why but one of the most ugly looking and troublesome of obesity problems people face is often ignored. My double chin is has made me hate looking into the mirror uuurrrrggghhhh im helpless!! I thought i'd just share a simple exercise to get rid of double chin which my friend told me.......although iv just started it and havent experienced the results, I thought i'd just share the technique. So here it goes, whenever you're free or like sitting, try moving your neck in all directions so as to stretch the extra fat at your neck. Its easy to keep rotating your neck while you are sitting and ofcourse you can take breaks.

#13 of 19 Old 05-27-2014, 07:17 PM

They're not necessarily simple, but I started T-Tapp because I could do it quietly (no jumping, music, etc) while the kids napped.  The exercises are actually NOT simple, but you can go at your own pace, pushing yourself to your own max, and improving as you go.  There are some threads on here about T-tapp and I think it's just www.T-tapp.com

Zia+Lane+Sonora=Mi Vida Loca! :
#14 of 19 Old 06-09-2014, 06:14 PM

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Free weights, calisthenics. Also sun salutations, properly done, work the entire body. Of course other yoga routines are silent and effective as well.

Last edited by pumabearclan; 06-10-2014 at 07:58 AM.
#15 of 19 Old 06-13-2014, 02:48 PM
AAK

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
I like using a medicine ball. There are all sorts of things you can do with them, they are more enjoyable for me than free weights. I will use them as weights, but I will also throw them in the air or pass them back and forth with someone else.

Amy

Mom to three very active girls Anna (14), Kayla (11), Maya (8). 
#16 of 19 Old 06-26-2014, 07:39 AM

Just like Amy said, a medicine ball is a great piece of equipment to use for a ton of different exercises. I have one at home that I got from beachbody that I use very regularly- http://www.beachbody.com/product/fit...icine-balls.do I can't get to the gym everyday so I like to do some weighted exercises at home even if I just have 15min. I usually use the nike training club app on my phone which has a ton of exercise moves. It gives step by step simple, easy exercises that usually incorporate a medicine ball so it's perfect! http://www.nike.com/us/en_us/c/women...-training-club There's never any jumping so it's quiet and if you wanted to listen to music along with it you can have it playing along or use headphones to listen as well.
#17 of 19 Old 07-03-2014, 02:30 PM

I do yoga, like everyone else, and I just started hula hooping.
pumabearclan likes this.
#18 of 19 Old 07-19-2014, 10:56 AM

Yoga is a good exercise at home it can relax your mind, body and spirit. It will also increase your flexibility and can flatten your tummy. You can watch some yoga tutorials on Youtube and try it at home. I recommend you to start by doing the basic first. Jumping rope is also a good exercise it will tone your muscles and help your heart rate up.
pumabearclan likes this.
#19 of 19 Old 08-01-2014, 05:24 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
My mother-in-law gave me some exercises to try after my doctor suggested that I exercise my abdomen in order to lose my pregnant look. Here is what she said:

- Lay on back, hands on floor, bend knees, lift up stomach/bottom and hold

- Lay on back, hands down, lift up one leg at a time then both

- Hands and knees, put one knee up to stomach then go back and hold 10 times

- Lay on back, hands forward, lift up both legs at once straight
pumabearclan likes this.

May God bless you and His Blessed Mother Mary keep you!  :-)

Tags
Fitness

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page