Losing Weight After Depo Provera? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 10-09-2013, 09:34 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

June 19th I got my second Depo Provera injection. I had very few side effects with the first injection (besides a lot of spotting) so I didn't really think much of it. It is no longer "effective" as contraception now but I know the half-life is relatively long and it won't have passed through 4 half-lives until the beginning of next year. Since that injection (the last I will ever get in my life), I've gained 15 lbs. I've been a pretty steady weight since 9th grade, between 120 and 125 at 5'3". Even when I had my son and put on 40 lbs its like the weight was pouring out in my breastmilk. I ended up lighter than I started and slowly crept back up as he ate more solids.

I'm 137 now and never before have I been disgusted at the way I look. This is not my body, this is not even my "mom body" that I learned to love. This is someone else's body with fat rolls and folds that never used to exist. We'd like to have another baby, desperately, but if someone told me the fat would melt right off as soon as 4 half-lives of Depo Provera pass I think I'd keep DH at the other end of a yardstick for the next 3 months so I could at least have a better starting weight. I know now why my SIL only ever had one pregnancy photo of herself when she was pregnant with her twins (which she later set to private) and none at all with her youngest child. Forget covering the mirrors, I'd bathe fully clothed if it was an option.

I don't know what to do. I tried doing the obsessive measuring and counting thing and lost two pounds but after a few days my hunger came back with a vengeance and I gained 4. I'd like to go to the gym and run but I don't know what to do with DS. The nearest YMCA is 30 minutes away. I really don't feel safe running outside, haven't since I was a kid, and winter is coming (I haaaaaate the cold). How far would you travel for a gym? Do you think putting off (or being unsuccessful) TTC for another month or two will do much of a difference if I end up not going? How do you "do" gym workouts if you don't care about building strength but really need to burn fat?

This Mommy and Military Daddy are loving their son.
DS born Dec 2010 bouncy.gif   Pregnant with #2, hoping for a  stork-girl.gif 

#2 of 2 Old 10-10-2013, 06:56 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hopefully bumping this up will get you some answers. 

bfinfant.gifbreastfeedingfemalesling.GIF baby-wearing familybed1.gif bed-sharing greenthumb.gif herb growing/using nocirc.gif no circ'ing  lady.gif Mama 

bikenew.gif6-25-2006goodvibes.gif11.29.2008dust.gif7-6-2010babyf.gif10-3-2012 belly.gifcraving #5 ALREADY 

Tags
Weight Management

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page