Pilates or gym membership? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 10-22-2013, 02:20 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hello mamas:

I haven't posted in ages but I'm wondering if anyone with more experience would like to offer some advise. 

I am looking to either get a membership to my local gym, or do weekly pilates classes. I can not afford both. My objective is to get strong and fit, and to stick to it. Which way to go?

Gym pros: 

Variety - I can swim, use the sauna (love), use machines, maybe even fit in a group class on the weekends.

Frequency - I could go 2 to 4 times a week.

Yummy - Did I mention pool and sauna?

History - I've had gym memberships before and I have always loved it.

Gym cons

Location - 10 to 15 minutes on my bike. That hill.

Motivation - I'm on my own, so I have to work out what to do and when.

Pilates pros:

Location - I can walk there in 4 minutes.

Attention - The teacher is there to guide me as needed.

Ease - The teacher will tell me what to do. I used to go to Bikram yoga regularly (now too much ££) and I loved just showing up and doing the class without having to think about what to do. Just do what you're told! 

Pilates cons:

Frequency - Just one class a week. For the rest of the week I'm on my own exercising at home or in the park.

Variety - It's just pilates in the same church hall each week. Would I get bored? I don't know. 

If Bikram classes were an option this would be no contest as I loved it so much and it was the only time in my life I felt myself getting younger. Pilates is mostly an unknown to me. I'm going to the intensive pilates workshop this weekend with the teacher and obviously that may help inform my decision, but I'd love to hear anyone's thoughts or experiences...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-28-2013, 08:22 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I'm a pilates enthusiast! When I has my first child, almost 13 years ago I no longer had time to do much, never mind getting to a gym. I started pilates and got hooked. It is a total body workout that is particularly fantastic for the core and back strength. You could do the class once per week and still do pilates at home (tons of free pilates videos on YouTube).
I do pilates regularly and also run 4 days per week. This allows me to maximize my time and not feel like I'm taking too much time from my kids and busy schedule.
Good luck making a decision. I would suggest not locking yourself into a long gym contract in case you change your mind. Oh, and most gyms offer pilates classes.

Tags
Fitness
User Tag List