Keeping the Motivation Flame Bright through November - Page 5 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#121 of 305 Old 11-13-2013, 04:12 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Sparkle, when you say allergies and asthma are gut-related, what do you mean? Could it be that my celiac and asthma etc. are related? I know the stress affects me. How can I be you and figure out what is going on with me with all this stuff? I don't even know where to start.

That school sounds awesome. I hope it works out!

JayGee, good vibes to your dad.

Gaye, yay for sleep. And for boyfriend. :D

As for me, quite a mixed day. The cold was biting today. I did go for a swim this morning, and the exercise really does help me. My quads are still totally trashed from the race the other day, and I'm trying to decide if I'm ready to go out for a run tomorrow or not. Supposed to be seriously cold in the a.m. early but warm up, but I don't really have time later in the day. So, I don't know. I need warmer running clothes.

Got an early email from ds' teacher and principal about his 'Daily Litany of Sin' and 'accountability' and everything else. :(

Got to school, and found out that one of my freshman students -- also the son of a good friend, and they live across the park in Springfield proper, in a historic neighborhood bordered by tougher areas -- was beaten up on his way home from the bus yesterday evening by two older boys yelling the 'k' word (Jewish slur). This poor kid was terrified of course, and quite battered. His whole face is swollen. :angry After Saturday's encounter (mine) which of course thank GOD was only verbal and not violent, I'm just feeling so awful about living here. I trashed my curriculum today and did two things: told my students we are entering the "Learn the Address" video program (Ken Burns is making a movie with all kinds of people giving the Gettysburg Address -- in honor of the 150th anniversary -- www.learntheaddress.org); and I also am showing all my classes the movie "Paper Clips." 

But -- I also got a phone call from the kids' school (same principal, different issue) that dd1 (who organized a fundraiser at the end of October to raise money for an organization that assists women and families dealing with breast cancer) was featured on the local news. Then, after the news spot aired this morning, apparently a woman came in from a neighboring town, asked to speak to dd1 (with the principal there of course), gave her a gift and a check for matching funds for the charity, saying how impressed she was with her project and initiative. Wow! :throb  This is the tv spot if anyone is interested. http://www.wggb.com/2013/11/13/abc40-honor-roll-student-bakes-for-great-cause/

So, up and down! I am upping my Vit D to 5000 IUs a day plus caving and getting some serious fish oil stuff. I'm hoping it starts to help. As far as the cold weather goes, when we moved to Florida I had just weaned ds a year before, and for the entire time I was pregnant/nursing (basically 1999-2008) I was ALWAYS HOT. Seriously hot. Before that I think I didn't love winter but didn't mind so much. Then we moved to FL and I didn't ahve winter and I really liked it most of the time. Then we came up here and since then I am just never warm. Even in summer I suffer if the a/c is too low. Bleh.

"Now bid me run, and I will strive with things impossible." (William Shakespeare -- Julius Caesar)

#122 of 305 Old 11-13-2013, 04:57 PM - Thread Starter

Nic - would talking more specifically about your ds' issues on the yahoo group be helpful, like maybe Geo could offer some concrete suggestions as to what he may need in terms of consultations/appropriate professional guidance, testing, intervention, etc. It sounds like the school doesnt get him, and you cant or dont know how to get through to them. I know I have been through months of hearing the daily litany of sins (um, his initial K teacher was reading a book called "The Child who is not yet Peaceful" b/c of him redface.gifirked.gif) and it feels AWFUL.

As for the other (gut related), it is my belief that obvious gut issues like celiac, food allergies, IBS, etc. are connected to more general allergic responses like rashes, asthma, non-food allergies. There is a surge of interest in this potential relationship these days, which I think is way behind the ball (I think conventional medicine is generally skeptical and conservative - with good reason, but this leads to an epidemic before any interest or action comes from that sector). I can tell you more about what I have read and maybe give you links (if I can dig them up) if you want to pm me.

Meanwhile, at the private school tour thing today, the Sikh mom was very interested in the security at the school; what and how did it work. Honestly, Ive given security at my kids' schools passing consideration, but as she was so persistent it hit me that she must have to worry about it b/c her son wears a turban! And of course I thought of you and recent events greensad.gif I cant believe that is happening, let alone in a liberal place like that (supposedly). Just tragic and mind-blowing greensad.gifgreensad.gifgreensad.gif

Congrats to your DD orngbiggrin.gif

mom to  dd1 (11) hearts.gif,  ds (9)bikenew.gif,  dd2 (6) dust.gif  , Daisy (4) dog2.gif
#123 of 305 Old 11-13-2013, 06:50 PM

sparkle, go for it. I guess I would rather have the MA and half a PhD if it doesn't work out, than not. I haven't done the NMSU app yet, but you should definitely whisper my name around the halls, see how it feels. :wink :lol

Gaye, not only yay for BF, but the idea that BF = better sleep! Woot!

Nic, you must be very proud of dd. I am so glad you got that gift in your day. I've been pretty serious about my sun exposure, my fish oil, and my probiotics since arriving here. I take magnesium in the evening, and I've tried to stay far away from ibuprofen. I'm definitely in a better place (emotionally, not geographically) than in the past, but I'm trying a lot of things. On the anti-semitism, it's so difficult to put to words what I think about the people who work so hard to perpetuate hatred, especially when the ones pushing the thinking are supposedly well educated, so that the "little people" can do their dirty work for them. It's gross on so many levels.

Plady and JayGee, you rock. I am sitting here drinking coffee. But I do usually follow it with water.

Mel38, thanks for your input! Part of the issue is that dh and I are both pretty natural with second languages (he speaks 5, and the worst one is German, where he is adequate enough to do daily tasks). Ds is resistant in part because he wants to sit in his room and read fantasy tomes for hours. So, guess who's downloading French books?! LOL. Arabic is still a long way off because the alphabet and linguistic system are just so different from English, but I am thinking we could take turns reading from The Little Prince or Three Musketeers or some such. Better than the 1970s readers! And yes on the register! But especially in Arabic, I still need big letters so I can see the diacritical marks. Until I learn the vocab, I need every diacritical mark. But we are learning. This is the big year.

RR: I did end up running for an hour yesterday (of course with walk breaks, but a lot more running than walking) and it felt super. Then I did my grocery-shop-and-haul-bags for half a mile. Not hard but it does work my arms and shoulders. And finally I did make yoga at night, and it was tough but good! Today is Arabic class at our tutor's apartment, so it will be a short walk. I'm sore, so this is good.

Pulling out the TM for some evaluation. Looks like it was very much a long-term sort of map, but definitely inching in the right direction, after months spent stalled. Standard Arabic is starting to click in my brain, and I am trying to will the dialect I know to feel free to go if necessary, to make room. :duck There are also writing, spiritual and financial goals in there, so we'll see what happens.

Our weekend starts today. There's a science festival on the Corniche, a bbq at dh's boss's place, and I need new Birkenstocks.

#124 of 305 Old 11-13-2013, 08:47 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)

Nic - celiac and asthma are both inflammatory processes and I have found a connection between them with me this year. When I went on that three month super strict anti-inflammatory diet all of my symptoms for both died right down. Now I am pretty good about avoiding gluten and that helps the celiac symptoms but I am not all that great at avoiding all of the inflammatory foods and my asthma and joint pain are not great. My stomach is pretty irritable too, just not as intensely as with gluten.

#125 of 305 Old 11-13-2013, 09:52 PM

Nic--the violence is really distressing. I wish we could change the way society thinks these days, about that and so many other things. Congrats to your DD though--that's awesome. I'd second sparkle's inflammation theory. For me, it seems like a vicious cycle. If my allergies are bothering me, especially during hayfever season, I'm more likely to react to some things that don't usually bother me and my asthma flares. Stress makes all of that worse. If I can relieve some of my stress and/or avoid some of the foods that might be contributing to the load, it helps. I cut back on wheat during hayfever season because the theory is that the hayfever allergies are related to grass pollens and grass is a type of wheat (or vice versa? I'm too tired to look it up), so by not ingesting it in addition to breathing it, I'm lessening the amount my body has to deal with. My chiropractor could explain it more elegantly, but the long and short of it is that reducing stress and problem foods and increasing the stuff that's good can help.

MelW--I completely agree that updating footnotes beats thinking about job futures any day. I might even finish one of the two papers that I've left sitting to avoid dealing with finding a new career path.

JayGee--I'm sorry to hear about your dad. Hopefully the double vision stuff will resolve itself quickly.

sparkle--what kind of a program are you in now? I can see benefits and drawbacks to finishing the MA depending on what it is you want to do. (Drawbacks largely amount to the fact that it takes time and energy away from current projects, including upgrading it for publication, yk?)

tjsmama--ITA, I love not having anything to be training for right now. But there's the sad reality that November's always been the month where I don't want to run anyhow so it's a bit of a mind game to get out there anyhow.

sparkle--I'm glad she was asking. My safety focus, should we ever leave our district, would be on what kind of drills they do, how often they do them, and how fast the police response is. I don't think about it much, but the fact that we do lockdown drills every year and even an evacuation drill last year comforts me. The fact that we live in a world that requires this and where specific populations may be targeted, however, does not.

RR: was going to go grocery shopping with J and she was asking whether we were going in the jogging stroller. I said no, but then asked if she wanted to go for a run instead. She said yes! joy.gif For whatever reason, age 3 is an iffy jogging stroller year. But as tjsmama said, it was a gorgeous day and I was happy to get out. She got to play at the playground some and I fit in 3 miles.

Also related to running: after I pulled the jogger out of the garage, I went back in to grab something else and noticed a snake on the floor right where the jogger had been. A snake. In November. DH was within walking distance (the Saturn was in for repairs) so I called him and asked him to remove the snake. I thought we could get away with it without the girls knowing, but then he went and said something in front of J who is currently terrified of snakes and won't even walk in grass much less jump in a leaf pile lest there be a snake. We've been telling her they're all hibernating for winter but um, clearly we're wrong.

Lisa  caffix.gif and her wonderful girls: R (9) violin.gif &  J (3-3/4) coolshine.gif 
#126 of 305 Old 11-14-2013, 06:12 AM
bec

Nic - My heart aches for the violence that you are seeing in your community (verbal and physical).  It really sounds like the school has no clue what to do with your son.  He is clearly a very bright, creative, out of the box thinker that needs to be engaged and feel respected in his educational environment. Katie had a 1st grade teacher that had no clue what made her tick.  I remember the teacher conference where she really had not a single good thing to say about her.  She added at the end that she was very sweet but...  It was so disheartening.  What a wonderful piece on your DD!!  Definitely makes it an up and down day.

Gaye - I love hearing you talking about your boyfriend! 

Real - I think 3 was about the outside edge of when I used the jog stroller!

JG - Healing thoughts for your father.  Very scary. 

Sparkle - Definitely go for the MA with the almost written paper!!! 

On winter - I struggle with winter.  Every year.  I feel like I cannot get warm.  I have 5 months where I am cold, my skin is dry regardless of the water or moisturizer, and it feels like the sun is so very far away.  I am going to take Vitamin D daily throughout this winter and see if that helps.  I also had something of an epiphany yesterday about winter.  I spent much of my middle and high school winters very sick with one upper respiratory infection or another.  I was diagnosed with Chronic Fatigue syndrome my Freshman year of high school.  The bottom line is that some part of me has associated winter (particularly late winter) with sickness and darkness.  No wonder I get depressed!  I'm hoping that this new found knowledge will help to let me re-write what winter means. 

RR: So no running yet, but I did get a strength workout in last night!  Hearing Lisa talk about Jackie Eason put something of a bug in me.  I'm thinking of picking her back up too.  I liked how strong her program made me, and how my body looked with the strength!  I have been doing a plank challenge for November.  Day 14, and it is starting to get tough.  I have a minute and a half for today!  I am also thinking of going to the gym to do something.  Maybe starting Jackie.  Who knows?

Mama to: Katie, Emily , and Abby
Not perfect, Just amazing!
#127 of 305 Old 11-14-2013, 06:28 AM

Nic - I'm sorry your DS is having such difficulty this year. Is it the teacher? The curriculum? The fact that your son seems to be a square peg in a round hole? The school in general? Praying for clarity for you. But a huge congrats to your DD1 for making something REAL happen joy.gif! An up-and-down-day for sure.

sparkle - finish that MA! Why not, if the thesis is already written?!

Real - snakes! Yikes! I'm with you DD on this one. Hate 'em! I think 3 was about the top range for the jogger for us too.

jooj - enjoy your weekend! I agree with Mel that speaking a language and actually reading literature in that language are two entirely different beasts. I can speak German fairly well, but reading it?! No way!

bec - hoping your realizations about winter help you get through this one more easily.

Both girls are home sick today with the same crud I have. I feel a little better today, thankfully. I've already warned them that our day at home will NOT include a TV marathon as they had hoped. Yeah, I'm a mean Mama. Thank you for the well wishes for my Dad. He had his pacemaker batteries replaced yesterday too (since he's off Coumadin for now, it was a good time). Need to call Mom now for my daily check in. Watching your parents age is really difficult.

~~Kristina~~ Mama to DS(10/30/01), DD1(VBAC 3/28/04) and DD2(HBAC 5/21/06)
#128 of 305 Old 11-14-2013, 06:46 AM

Bec and JayGee: on ds -- yes. and yes.

I'm waiting on the results of the district's comprehensive evaluation/observation that are supposed to come out this or next week. I'm looking at public schools and at the Montessori near where I work (even though I can't afford it). 

Bec -- on winter. Yes. Interesting. I have to think about that.

More later, students here. RR: 5 easy-ish miles this morning. It was cold, but it's interesting how when I run, the cold doesn't permeate me the way it does other times. I realize part of that's the heat that comes from running but somehow it still feels...different. For someone who uses words for a living I can't seem to describe it properly. My right quad was still feeling very sharp and tight; I might try and find time for a massage (HA! TIME?!) which would help in so many ways. I still have a spafinder gift card from two birthdays ago...

"Now bid me run, and I will strive with things impossible." (William Shakespeare -- Julius Caesar)

#129 of 305 Old 11-14-2013, 06:58 AM

Morning mamas,

Nic - The piece on your dd was super!  So glad you got some balance in your day.  The violence sounds awful and so history repeating itself.  Economy tanking?  Take out your anger on someone who doesn't look like you!  I'm thinking that Orthodox Jews are probably the most minority looking group in your neck of the woods and they have a private school? = obvious target.  I really worry for the future of humans. guilty.gif  

JayGee - Sending prayers for your dad.

MelW - Good luck with the C25k plan!

Real - Leave it to a guy to make sure to mention the snake.  :irked  Glad you got out for a run though!

RM - Yay for the graft holding!  Saw that on FB, sounds like good news.

Bec - I hear you on the dry skin!  My knuckles are bloody pretty much all winter because I cannot seem to moisturize enough to keep them from cracking.  And they get super itchy.  I think I've noticed that they are better when I'm more consistently off grains - which I haven't been lately and need to be.   

-so I typed that and then thought, "you know, I should go put some coconut oil on my hands now" and got up to cross the kitchen to where it is.  It took me 3 trips back and forth across the room to remember why I'd gotten up in the first place. :dizzy  This is why I can't trust myself to invest in supplements! 

RR: boxing, though I've had a cough for weeks and weeks now and it's barely getting better.  On Tuesday I had one of those gnarly coughing fits during class where I couldn't get that one little bit of phlegm to clear so I could breathe, yuck.  

NRR: In the last 8 days of rehearsals for The Nutcracker.  Everything is going so smoothly it's a little unsettling.  I don't know if it's because A) the kids are getting trained and so need less barking from me B) I never felt like the script was any good so the original bar was set super low or C) I had some sort of stroke and am just not seeing obvious problems.  But my lighting designer pronounced last night's rehearsal "painless" so I'll take that as a good thing. :lol

A little bit grasshopper a little bit ant   energy.gifom.gif

#130 of 305 Old 11-14-2013, 09:11 AM - Thread Starter

Nic (and all) - Here is a link to an article about the Gut microbiome and its relationship to illness. This is an example of how conventional medicine is slowly catching on to what alternative medicine has been talking about ( and being scoffed for) for years. When I developed gerd symptoms 7 years ago, it was after a round of antibiotics and severe stress. I found the Healing the Gut thread on MOthering. Those moms knew everything this artcile describes, and now its on the cutting edge of science eyesroll.gif When I was in the hospital for pneumonia getting "the big guns" (abx) intravenously for weeks (yuck), I was religious about taking probiotics as much as possible, and the docs and nurses humored me.

Point is, there is increasing evidence that how the gut functions is tied to many illnesses. When the body is at rest, the gut uses more blood than any other organ in the body. Stretched out, it is the size of a tennis court. When you are stressed, and I dont mean just by life circumstance, but also your disposition toward life (are you in a state of readiness? Are you braced, "type-A", on guard...) your body shunts blood firstly away from the gut (fight or flight response, reason for loose stool when stressed). Over years of being braced, your gut becomes malnourished, and leaky (also a term conventional medicine scoffed at in the past, and is now using like its a no-brainer), which can cause allergic reactions and inflammation. This, along with the microbiome component, is another layer to the gut-illness relationship.

There is also the fact that the gut is a big source of serotonin production, such that gut health directly correlates with mental health (there's a book called The Second Brain)

There's more, and what I see is conventional science catching up to what a lot of people have been talking about for years, so I expect the more to show up in mainstream publications one of these days. Obviously I think the role of the hypothalamus in all this is huge - it registers stress, and happens to be responsible for regulating blood flow to the gut, and also involved in many other feedback loops that can show symptoms of things when they malfunction as a result of the hypothalamus malfunctioning...

I think there is a lot that can be done, on a personal if not social level, to counteract these illnesses/causes of illness, but our modern lifestyle is designed in opposition to balance, self-care, relaxing your readiness, etc. There is no support for balancing ones system, first and foremost in the absence of time in the day, as you say Nic.

Bec - I think its wonderful what you realized and that definitely it will help you

Plady - who cares if you had a stroke! (kidding of course). Sounds great!! Congrats. Could the kids actually be learning over time (wha?) (have they done other productions?)

NRR: ok, you know that game "telephone" that kids play? Thats what just happened with my last post. If I am allowed, I am getting the M.A.; the post was in response to the realization that I have already written a paper that may well qualify and that I am almost done (vs. having to write a thesis some time during this M.A. process, which is what I had in mind). Turns out, I already did it. The intent was always to come out of this with 2 M.A.'s, but then I considered that I could just segue into a PhD, if I can in fact get that old M.A., like, by next semester (as my current program requires an M.A. to qualify for the PhD program...). Not that I want to get a PhD, but somehow knowing that I could makes me feel more valuable as a human being. Yup, I have issues

mom to  dd1 (11) hearts.gif,  ds (9)bikenew.gif,  dd2 (6) dust.gif  , Daisy (4) dog2.gif
#131 of 305 Old 11-14-2013, 11:39 AM

Wow, I am so behind! And here you are, running, inspiring, sharing, helping just like always!

Gut: I am in the gut-illness camp, too. I've downloaded The Second Brain and Gut And Psychology Syndrome (GAPS) both. And next week I give a talk on gut-healing foods. Was it Hippocrates who said, "All diseases begin in the gut"?

Cold: I am in healthy fats camp, here. My problem is moderating my fat intake. I can't get enough of dairy and red meat. Our 2-story log cabin, about 1500 sq ft, is only heated with one poorly-working wood stove. Not that big of a deal in Texas, but hey, it's been in the 20s the last few nights. Which is to say maybe there's a reason my body craves dairy and red meat!

Jo and Sparkle, you're both inspiring me to return to my MA program as well. I have spent lots of time googling and researching the last week. Unfortunately I'll have to retake the GRE. I downloaded some samples, which I found do-able and not intimidating at all but would still want to study for. Still, I'm just fantasizing about taking a grad course at the campus that's an hour away b/c it's such a cute, quaint town but I don't find what they offer particularly appealing. I don't really want a MA in English when that's what my BA is in. Kinda interested in Education but I've become too cynical, I think, to pursue it honestly. Which leaves Psychology (b/c of the limited offerings.) Not really my cup o'tea although I do have an inordinate number of friends who are psychologists. But the thought of listening to people all day would make me want to commit hari-kari. No, I'd like to teach at the university level but how to get there...? Especially when I read all the woes that those of you with PhDs have. So I don't do anything. As usual.

Fantasy #2: going to Austin once a month just to be around my peeps, my family, etc. Wish I could justify it with an occasional job there. I am so rudder-less.

RR: Two days of hot yoga which were fantastic as was yesterday's swim. My body and brain so need it right now. I may go back for a swim tomorrow... not sure.

NRR: Great individual counseling session yesterday. Tonight: joint counseling and I can barely breathe just thinking about it.

JG, how's your dad?

RM: I always go to bed at night with a very tall cup of water and usually sip on it in the morning while headed to the coffee machine. I never "intend" to drink water first and am constantly surprised by how much I like it. I'll then think I should drink a whole glass but that sounds so boring. So for now, a few sips work and my body seems to find it really replenishing although my mind isn't interested at all.

Also, my right hand has been hurting a lot these days. Very weird. Totally new experience. I find myself opening and closing it over and over and then using my left hand to massage it. I keep thinking I need to run it under some hot water and I want to put it right on the woodstove to warm up. It doesn't feel cold enough for mittens but wearing just one glove on it, ala Michael Jackson, seems to help a bit although it's annoying. I think I'm too young for arthritis. It's not really my wrist like carpal tunnel. Probably not diet-related which would be ideal. Weird.

Homeschool Planet http://planethomeschool.net
#132 of 305 Old 11-14-2013, 12:16 PM - Thread Starter

Lofty - ooh ooh ooh, maybe Also, arthritis is a symptom of peri, so maybe. I have it in my left hand (actually, my ring finger, all the way down that line through my palm; metaphysical pain much lol.gif No)

#133 of 305 Old 11-14-2013, 03:10 PM

nic~So awesome for your DD! Also, I have several spafinder gift certificates that have been sitting, unused, on my desk for entirely too long (nursing school?)...maybe we should go together! orngbiggrin.gif

real~Snakes?! Shudder... I have enough problem with the occasional ones I run into on bike paths and hiking trails, let alone finding one in my garage. yikes.gif

lofty~goodvibes.gif for a good counseling session.

I'm trying to decide if it's an entirely stupid idea to invite C's parents over this weekend. I mean, I really do need to meet them before Cozumel, but my plan is to (hopefully) clean house and decorate for Christmas on Saturday (I know! But DS leaves for XH's next Friday, so...) and then have a mini Thanksgiving meal on Sunday with my turkey that I get from work. I will NOT do a full-fledged meal, I'm thinking pretty bare bones...turkey, potatoes, green bean casserole, maybe salad. But, DS has not been super well-behaved at meals lately when C has been over, partly due to just being tired, and partly showing off. So, do I really want the stress of meeting these people for the first time in my house, which may or may not be clean enough, with my kid who may or may not be well-behaved, while trying to make a Thanksgiving meal? But, on the other hand, if they don't come over, who's going to eat all the turkey? It's 14 pounds! orngtongue.gif

rr~a quick 3ish from home. I was going to go a bit longer, but got home from my errands and decided that I should take a nap instead. Nevermind the fact that I got nearly 10 hours of sleep last night. I DO work tonight, so I needed it, right? Besides, it's not like I'm training for something right now...

Gaye, single mama to Tyler (5/06) and Baxter the labradoodle
surf.gif bikenew.gif jog.gif Wait...I signed up to DO an Ironman??? I thought I was signing up to go SEE Ironman! nut.gif

#134 of 305 Old 11-14-2013, 03:24 PM

I think I've plugged it before, but if not, the Radiolab episode "Guts" is terrific, especially the section about probiotics and depression.

Real, I'm glad you were able to run and are snake-free.

Plady, hooray for good rehearsals and co-operative kids at the theater.

Bec, I hope the vit D is helpful.

Nic, your DD is amazing!

jo, I did 13 years of French Immersion, but very limited reading in French other than what was required for school, despite devouring books in English. In grade 12 I hired a tutor (true geek: with my own money) to prep for provincial French exams because I hadn't had great French teachers in grades 8-11. I was reading but not enjoying Camus and other literature in class, but my tutor gave me trashy novels in French that helped me make the leap to reading more French. It was a great strategy for exposure to more words and language- at one point she told me she would be happy if I was only reading the R-rated scenes to start :Sheepish

NRR- Last night we got the second draft of the Official Community Plan, and I'm starting to feel proud of all of the work and the eventual final product. Still some work to be done, but I can see the end in sight. The end is in sight for my term paper, too. Today I'm too bleary-eyed from an early morning with my youngest, but hopefully there's some RR to report tomorrow.

"Guess what? It's a magical world. And when I sing, my songs are in it."
Madly in love with my 7 and 4 year old daughters

#135 of 305 Old 11-14-2013, 04:11 PM

Drive by to say, Gaye, no to parents yet.  Freeze the turkey, pull it out later when you've got more time, less newness to ds and who doesn't enjoy a T-day meal any random day in the depths of winter?  Maybe you could meet the parents at a drinks out thing instead.  

#136 of 305 Old 11-14-2013, 08:24 PM

Plady sounds like a very wise woman from here but I am excited about how happy you are Gaye.

I am reading along and drawing strength. I hope I am not taking more than my share but I need all I can gather lately.

You don’t owe them an explanation, just a response.
#137 of 305 Old 11-15-2013, 04:18 AM

Mamas, please head over to the Yahoogroup and send our sister up north some support and love. She really needs some Dingo-at-the-back uplifting. 

#138 of 305 Old 11-15-2013, 06:53 AM

I'm with those other ladies! 

freeze that turkey!

Instead if you want to meet earlier -- maybe a place that would be informal.  We had so much fun meeting your ds, got to chat with you and ds seemed really comfortable.  Maybe a trip to a park?  Or else you meet them, minus ds. From here, it seems like your son is a well behaved kid. If he's acting out with just one unknown/semiknown person there, then it's a lot for him to meet the 'rents too. And also spend the time instead of cleaning your house, prepping the dinner, do something fun with ds, who will be oot for a while.

ok, back to my normally scheduled crazy.

Kristin -- mom of Erin (11/5/02) and Leah (9/29/05)
#139 of 305 Old 11-15-2013, 07:38 AM

Gaye~ I spotted that little reference of "bf" right away but haven't had time to post in days.  I'm with the other ladies that you should put the brakes on having the parents over for turkey.  They have had good ideas on alternatives.  Have fun and let us know how it goes!

Since it was mentioned a few days ago, I upped the water intake tremendously (from nothing it wasn't hard to do, lol).  It really helped with the night time dryness, dry throat issues.  Thank you so much!  Unfortunatly, I'm still filled with snot and couldn't  take it any more (two weeks now, not forever but it's coating the back of my throat-EWWW!!).

Went to doc in the box because my Nurse PRacticioner didn't work today, which I don't know her office hours.  She said my left ear was pretty red, right ear slightly red and then look at the back of my throat and said something like "that's a LOT of drainage!".   She had me change my allergy med since I've been on the same one so long so  here's hoping that will help prevent this from happening so often.

RR: I'm leaning toward running 3x week and HIIT 5 days, maybe some yoga too.

Off to have Thanksgiving feast with my 3rd grader.

Plady~thanks for mentioning ds1's finger!  I almost forgot to mention here.  The graft looks super good and I think it's gonna stay!  Arm looks good too from whre they took the graft.

#140 of 305 Old 11-15-2013, 09:32 AM

Gaye - I'm going to have to agree with Plady, RM and kerc. Wait on the turkey dinner, and save yourself the stress of putting on a big meal.

MelW - not sure Jo wants to get her son reading french through "those" kinds of books twins.gif! But hey, it might work!

NRR - the girls are back in school today and I'm back to the library. I feel a lot better, but still congested. I talked to my Mom this morning and my Dad is now running a fever. They are looking for the source of infection, treating him for C. Diff., and trying to figure out why he's still coughing and unable to keep his oxygen levels up. Honestly, I've never really worried about my Dad's operations, hospitalizations, etc., but this time it just seems worrisome to me. It doesn't help that no one seems to know what is going on and new and different things keep popping up. To think all of this started with a fall at church last week.

Busy collecting baskets for next week's PTO Auction, our big fund raiser for the year. Sad that it took people coming to my house to drop off stuff to make me dust and vacuum bag.gif.

~~Kristina~~ Mama to DS(10/30/01), DD1(VBAC 3/28/04) and DD2(HBAC 5/21/06)
#141 of 305 Old 11-15-2013, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayGee View Post

MelW - not sure Jo wants to get her son reading french through "those" kinds of books twins.gif! But hey, it might work!

I thought about that after I posted. What I meant was that something light, entertaining and a "step back" from what he's capable of might make it more enjoyable. I'm pretty sure you don't want him reading smutty French books, right? :lol I bet there are some cool French graphic novels or something. My youngest sister read a lot of TinTin in French. 

Gaye joining the chorus of not inviting that kind of stress. A park or coffee shop or other situation where there's less pressure on you and on your son will probably make the whole situation easier. Even meeting them without your son for the first time might be wise. (In a strange reverse situation, my kids met my FIL's new girlfriend over the summer, and it was pretty confusing for my oldest at seven. She wasn't sure how much of a "grandma" she might be, and as a woman who doesn't have any kids it's not a natural role for her. All is good, but we really downplayed the relationship to keep it low pressure. Yes, she's his girlfriend, but she's not your grandparent..)

JayGee, sending lots of healing to your dad.

RR- Bootcamp tonight

NRR- Insert grumble about my partner's stress level here. 

#142 of 305 Old 11-15-2013, 12:15 PM

So much I want to say, but posting from my phone is too clunky to quote and scroll back and forth.

Mel, when you mentioned that idea about the books, things like teen lit came to mind, but I really love the graphic novel idea!! Asterix and Obelix!

JG, I hope your dad feels better soon and you all get answers.

RR, 7 miles this am and 1k yards at lunch. I wish I could be more disciplined about fitting in workouts every day.

Melissa
mom to 3 lovely kids
#143 of 305 Old 11-15-2013, 03:23 PM

Well. there will be a turkey dinner, regardless. Because, you see, I have not yet cooked last year's thanksgiving turkey yet, so I had to pull that one out of the freezer in order to make room for this year's. bag.gif But, I think it might be best to just have it be me and DS and C...and maybe a couple of random friends if they're not busy. DS leaves for his dad's next Friday, so maybe we can do the parental meet and greet next weekend. They all leave for Mexico that Tuesday, though, so not a whole lot of time to spare, unless I actually am going to meet them IN Mexico, which...yeah. Not my preference. orngtongue.gif

I've been desperately hoping for release from work tonight, but it is so not going to happen. I'm holding out a slim amount of hope for possibly getting to go home early, but probably not.

Gaye, single mama to Tyler (5/06) and Baxter the labradoodle
surf.gif bikenew.gif jog.gif Wait...I signed up to DO an Ironman??? I thought I was signing up to go SEE Ironman! nut.gif

#144 of 305 Old 11-15-2013, 05:48 PM

JayGee - I'm sorry about your father, I'm sending prayers his way.

Gaye - Speaking as one who has never lived within easy visiting distance of parents or ILs, would it really be so bad to meet them in Mexico?  Everyone will be in a good mood, the weather will be delightful, the IM will be the obvious conversational center point and everyone will look snazzy and relaxed with a margarita in hand (and no driving anywhere later!)

#145 of 305 Old 11-15-2013, 07:11 PM

Gaye, yeah, I think I'd be okay meeting in Mexico for the first time - very informal, fun, etc. Good luck with the turkey! smile.gif

JG, thinking about your dad... goodvibes.gif

Sparkle, um, thanks for the link. I just spent about 2 hours reading, researching and following every little rabbit hole thereafter. lol.gif Another option is to get my masters in library science and return to school as a librarian. But I don't know. I'm boring.

Counseling was really good. It must've been an especially good release for him bc he's so talkative now. I, however, am still so annoyed. And resentful. About so much stuff that wasn't brought up b/c I just didn't want to "rush" the counselor and therefore I left a bit relieved yet still frustrated. Sigh. Better is good, right?

Then I drove 2 hours to my mom's b/c I just feel emotionally battered. And my mom's house is all lounge-y comfy relaxing. Nothing is expected of me and they are so completely happy with anything I do. So it's a really nice kind of easy.

I know I'm missing some comments. Blame it on the rabbit trail. smile.gif

eta: Since you are so obviously good at life-coaching, I'll tell you my other passion besides libraries: religious studies, theology. I have a half-dozen research ideas going through my head at any given moment, none of which have been done, as far as I know. Religion, theology, cross-cultural identity, linguistics, semantics. These are things I think about all the time. I think I have really good thesis ideas. Not really a money-maker or great job field, though, right?

Homeschool Planet http://planethomeschool.net
#146 of 305 Old 11-15-2013, 10:01 PM

Gaye, Plady makes an excellent point about the IM and meeting there. Might not be the worst.

JayGee, I hope the docs can arrest this strange cascade of problems, and that your Dad is soon on his way back to normal in no time.

RM, glad you are feeling better, and hopeful that the graft heals well on ds.

MelW and Mel38, LOL, I did download some classics in French, and I think we can struggle through some reading, with the right attitude. Thinking Arabian Nights or Alice in Wonderland, and maybe he'll get to the smut on his own. In about ten years. :twins Looking at my college transcripts, I only had one semester of French. So I am frankly a little proud of what I have been able to do with it. I don't always suck.

Lofty, I am feeling your bewilderment in that combination of passion and diffusion. I could see it channeled in an MA/PhD in lit, but certainly religion/history could provide similar fuel for your fire? Hard to think about it.

I am absolutely knee-deep right now in the application process, and I think I have settled on the decision to also apply to low-res programs to hedge my bets. Given the experience of the past few weeks, and the ignition of passion just in turning on my laptop and firing up Word, I know I could do good work even in a low-res situation. And that wouldn't require the dismantling of my family. Of course, it would require $35-50K plus travel expenses over two years. The kids would return to classrooms either way, so the next step will be applying for local school (not fun, recommendations, the whole deal), just in case.

Meantime, I also have to write a lit analysis for a TA-ship app, and while it is hard to find the time for focus between everything else, OMG I love this stuff. Reading Kafka (in German, too!) again and revisiting symbols and allegory. I don't have digital copies of old work and it is frankly easier to write from scratch than to send my parents to the attic in hopes they might find the right paper. Anyway, it goes on. I have completed on application, should have one more done this week, then after my transcript comes in the mail, I will wrap these up and hope I don't bomb the GRE. Lofty, like you said, doable but I should study. I am intuitive with math and a pretty good gamer on standardized tests, but anything could happen. Ugh. Anyway, life goes on.

RR: rode bike yesterday AM with dh in a sandstorm. It was not just hard, it was dumb--my breathing suffered the rest of the day, and my eyes are threatening to grow those beautiful chalazia again. Always when the sand comes in from Kuwait. Weird. Also walked about 5 miles with dh.

#147 of 305 Old 11-15-2013, 10:29 PM

bec--R liked the jogger again at 4 and even more at 5, though I think 5 had to do with J's arrival. I'm guessing it will still get some use for the next couple of years, especially if we do running school pick-ups in the spring again. My kids are small and light which helps matters, of course.

JayGee--yes, on how difficult it is to watch your parents age. My parents are fine, knock on wood, but the grandfather of one of R's classmates died Wednesday night, unexpectedly. He or her grandmother were often waiting to pick her up after school, so they talked about it in class and made her a sort of condolence gift. greensad.gif Her older sister is at Outdoor Lab this week (6th graders spend a week in the mountains, so I feel really badly for her. I don't know if she decided to come back early or not.

Plady--here's goodvibes.gif for moisturized hands and memory! Glad to hear the rehearsals are going well and hope it's a fluke in all of the good ways.

lofty--I'd like to teach at the university level as well! Oh wait.... lol.gif Seriously though, if you have a master's degree that would allow you to teach though mostly at community colleges and perhaps smaller local ones. You may be in a location that has ample opportunities too. I know the whole field is overpopulated now, but my situation isn't helped by the fact that DH is tenured so any job I want needs to be in the area--and most of those are state-funded (barely) with more budget cuts ahead. Working as a librarian, however, would be lovely. I worked in a library in high school and during my undergrad years and it was awesome. It still appeals to me, largely because it's quiet and because a place for everything and everything in its place kind of job would suit me well. But I have enough degrees at the current time and none translate to that kind of work.

I'm still moving forward on the jobs front, if slowly. I learned yesterday that our church synod has a regional office that does public policy work concerning state legislation if it relates to church policies on social positions (largely social justice-related kind of things). They have an opening and that also would be a great fit, except that it's also the kind of position where "full-time" means more than 40 hours and not a lot of telecommuting. But maybe when the kids are bigger. (Is this where I admit that I'm a terrible person at a party, because I love to talk politics and religion? I find it so odd that most people want to steer away from those topics.)
bag.gif

It's a limited mojo week. I did a ton of stuff for our school's Holiday Shop on Thursday, including setting up the display case and filling out 540 flyers with the date and time and counting them out for each class for today's Friday folders. (I'm running it this year and probably every year to come until J heads to middle school. Which is fine because I really like retail during the holidays. If the store is managed properly, the customers are happy and it's a great time.) But I haven't run since Tuesday and I think I'm going to regret that soon. Hopefully I really will pound out the miles this weekend, come what may. I did a 30-minute core workout last night and keep pretending that's good enough. Maybe I'll still do one tonight too. My abs could use it.

Lisa  caffix.gif and her wonderful girls: R (9) violin.gif &  J (3-3/4) coolshine.gif 
#148 of 305 Old 11-15-2013, 11:02 PM

I haven't looked recently, but a few years ago heard from a librarian acquaintance that library jobs are hard to find and there are an abundance of MLS grads.

Bootcamp was terrific and my oldest joined us for a cross-fit style workout. She kicked my butt on burpees and pull-ups. We also made it to an art opening fundraiser for the community forest on the way home. Now bed, with prenatal class and a contra dance that my kids (yep, even the little one will join in for one fiddle song!) are playing tomorrow evening.

#149 of 305 Old 11-16-2013, 07:03 AM - Thread Starter

JG - Any news? Is he IN the hospital? Did he go home after the fall, with the O2, and then return b/c of new symptoms? Maybe something else started after he was in the hospital for the fall (especially if he picked up C. Diff. there, maybe some upper respiratory bug too, which would account for the coughing and fever). I hope things are improving and that they are figuring it out goodvibes.gif Im so sorry

Jo - wow. The passion and plans sound exciting

Mamajb - goodvibes.gif to you mama!! Something about this year; so many friends have had just a miserable year. I hope your struggles are solvable with time. I hope you are finding something to support you through it. Im thinking of you

Real - its hard not to tell you to TAKE THAT JOB lol.gif It sounds so perfect. I too love a good religious/political discussion, but rarely engage b/c I know others dont. My in-laws especially redface.gif

Lofty - Small steps. Frustrating that you had to lead this charge and he's the one seeming to feel better for it? irked.gif At least its a door opened, that hopefully will lead to the two of you able to have a healthy conversation at home without the 3rd party.

NRR: So much for that enthusiasm. I cant get the previous M.A., due to an arbitrary protocol issue, which makes me irked.gif Not surprised, but deflated and irked nonetheless greensad.gif Also, dh and I went through our budget with one private school tuition and yeah, that dream may be just a dream. We are very conservative financially, so we have a lot going to various funds (retirement, disability, college, etc), but holy cow it takes away a lot. And then taxes yikes2.gif omg. Anyway, we are very lucky to even be able to consider it and will be lucky to be able to struggle to make it happen. But, yeah, hello unpleasant reality in one afternoon. And of course I feel like the obvious thing is for me to get a j.o.b., whether Im interested in whatever it is or not ... first world problems, I know, but a downer ....

edited to add: I meant "Real" not "RM" redface.gif

#150 of 305 Old 11-16-2013, 07:54 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)

Just popping in here to let you know I am so grateful to be a Dingo  :grouphug  and I will check in with you all later today. 

Tags
Fitness

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page