Keeping the Motivation Flame Bright through November - Page 9 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#241 of 305 Old 11-23-2013, 02:38 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Lofty - congrats on the race, but BOO on your DH for not coming out to watch. Then again, I can count the number of times DH has watched me race on 1 finger myself rolleyes.gif.

jooj - good luck getting all that paperwork in order. When do you anticipate your kids starting at the American school?

NRR - the auction is DONE! Thank goodness. We actually had a good time last night and I think the PTO raised a good amount of money. No final tally yet, but a couple of live auction items went for big money.

RR - DS and I are officially registered for the Thanksgiving Day 5k!

~~Kristina~~ Mama to DS(10/30/01), DD1(VBAC 3/28/04) and DD2(HBAC 5/21/06)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#242 of 305 Old 11-23-2013, 06:34 PM

Lofty, I am so sorry you were let down like that. It was a perfect opportunity to show you some support, blown. :irked I'm the JayGee's club, too...dh came to my first marathon. But so did my parents and siblings and even friends, so he was shamed into it, pretty sure.

JayGee, we'd enroll for fall semester. Ds will be in 8th and dd in 5th. I already know dd will be beside herself with social opportunities. And ds would have a class trip abroad.

We took the kids out last night for a second walk, the weather was so good.

#243 of 305 Old 11-24-2013, 06:18 AM

Lofty, :irked on your dh for not coming to support you. Mine doesn't very frequently either, although at least sometimes comes with the kids. Emphasis on rarely.

Jo, would you be staying there, or coming back? I think I lost the thread of this plan. :o Jealous on the nice weather.

RR: yeah. Holy ARCTIC CHILL batman! I don't know what I was thinking. I went out this morning for a long run and the temp said 21, I neglected to check the wind chill, which was a balmy tropical 9*. Ugh. Actually my torso and top of my head were warm enough, but my bottom half was not -- I need to improve on that. I wore a pair of winter tights under one of my capri skirts but it was not warm enough. My thighs were freezing. My toes were warm (thank you Kerc for the wool socks rec -- bought some at Sierra Trading Post and they are awesome) and my head was warm (fleece hat) but I should have worn my fleece buff over my face. Now that I'm home and warm I'm glad I went running but I probably should have just headed over to the JCC to use the treadmill. Whew. 

Now, errand-full Sunday beckons.

"Now bid me run, and I will strive with things impossible." (William Shakespeare -- Julius Caesar)

#244 of 305 Old 11-24-2013, 07:52 AM

Happy weekend mamas,

Lofty - I'm sorry about that B.  I can't remember dh ever being in the sidelines for anything I've run either but you would have thought that this one for your dh would be a no-brainer seeing as it is current events headlines that you're desperately unsupported. But I'm really glad your mom is nearby enough that you've got somewhere to go get the pampering you need.

I've been trying to read along but I'm pretty distracted.  The Nutcracker opened on Friday and the audiences were very enthusiastic.  Last night's show was sold out and it looks like today's will be too.  The kids have been having a ball but I can see the cracks starting to show, more and more little tired faces and some sniffling and coughing getting caught on mics.  I'm so glad that the show always runs the weekend before Thanksgiving so they can all recover over the next long weekend.  Here are some photos that my awesome choreographer took. :)

A little bit grasshopper a little bit ant   energy.gifom.gif

#245 of 305 Old 11-24-2013, 08:20 AM

Plady, how can you stand the cuteness?!! Adorable!
#246 of 305 Old 11-24-2013, 08:55 AM

Plady, you pretty much blow my mind! How awesome and what incredible memories you are making for the whole community!

Thanks for the perspective on dh attending races. Yeah, I feel like I have no meter anymore but part of it is just the lack of emotional connection to another adult. So thankful for my parents but also realizing I have to make a change and I don't know what it is.

JG, yay for the turkey day race. I remember taking dh to his last year and bringing the kids to cheer. I think it's fun to watch races. I hope you have a blast with ds!

Jo, I'm having a hard time keeping up, too. I think I got lost in that list of paperwork you're coordinating.

Nic, yeah, pretty cold here for Texas so I can only imagine what it's like for you. Sending warm thoughts caffix.gif

Homeschool Planet http://planethomeschool.net
#247 of 305 Old 11-24-2013, 09:19 AM

LOL I am contingency planning. Looking at both full res options which would be in US and low res which would enable me to study here. If in US, then public school. If here, American school. Either place I need the work time while kids are in class.

Night, Dingoes.
#248 of 305 Old 11-25-2013, 06:07 AM

Ok mamas. Need some perspective here.

I know I spin my wheels about this a lot, and I apologize for the navel gazing. But I can't get clarity.

I need to make a change career-wise. I like my job, I love the kids, and I really do like teaching (mostly). But the hours worked, the aggravation, and the lack of pay just make it not so worthwhile long term. I need to make a career change. Teaching (at least at this level) is just not going to be compensatory in the long run. I can stay with it for a few more years because the schedule works, etc. Or not.

The thing is, I don't know if I want to go back into academia in my field. Some parts of it excite me (subject wise) and others, well, not so much. It all seemed so important and interesting 20 years ago. Some things about it still are. In other ways, I've moved on in my interests.

Ideas I'm toying with but have no idea where to go with them:

1) Law school (for Constitutional law/academic law) -- expensive, time intensive, and a lot of time spent on stuff I'd rather not do (litigation, corporate, etc. YUCK.)

2) MPH or similar, including IBCLC -- with an interest to going into research/teaching for the benefits of breastfeeding as well as lactation consulting. Not sure what this road actually looks like, I'd need more research to figure out this path. Advantage -- eventually could have my own practice. Cons -- possibly also not very renumerative.

3) Open Montessori charter school -- obvious down sides (bureacracy, time intensive, lots of local politics and aggravation); advantages -- providing what I think is a superior form of education free of cost in an area where that is not available.

4) Educational administration -- up side, I'm already nearly in. Better pay. Ability to effect real change at the micro level. Down sides -- another degree, mostly in subjects I find deadly boring and mainly wrong-headed as they reflect a paradigm of educational theory I reject; politics within the school/community.

OK, that's enough navel gazing for now. Totally self absorbed, I realize. Bleh.

I think #3 is merely a fantasy. 

"Now bid me run, and I will strive with things impossible." (William Shakespeare -- Julius Caesar)

#249 of 305 Old 11-25-2013, 07:10 AM

Nic - it's a shame your "fantasy" is the one I like best! Law school is probably too much of a financial/time investment. I like the IBCLC one too, but as far as I know, you pretty much have to have a BSN now to do lactation consulting, and the pay is stinky too. Has your school come through with any offer on the director position? I feel your "what should I do with my life" pain. I didn't think I'd be having this kind of angst at 45.

Plady - totally adorable! I took the girls to see The Nutcracker last night, but I'm sure they would have enjoyed your version more than the local ballet school verson. The only other place I'd seen the ballet before was the NYC Ballet production when I was a kid. No comparison. My DH called me a "culture snob" lol.gif!

RR - heading to the Y to walk/run in preparation for my upcoming 5K.

NRR - My Dad is now in a rehab facitility and it seems his fall caused a lot more brain injury than first thought. He can't seem to hold thoughts together and will stop in the middle of a sentence, unable to remember what he was saying. My brother and sister spent the weekend with him. I am looking into cheap flights to NH myself. I feel like I should go and see him at some point. Maybe after he gets out of the rehab and is back at home, if only to give my Mom a little break.

#250 of 305 Old 11-25-2013, 07:15 AM

JayGee, let me know if I'm near enough to be of help when/if you come out here. I live near enough to Bradley Airport in CT to pick you up, etc. My dad had a brain injury from a fall when I was expecting Sophia (subdural hematoma) and he was in rehab for about 3 months. It took time, but I would say now he is 95% recovered. If you know him, you know there are still some deficits/gaps (mainly in things like selective aphasia, ability to tolerate frustration, etc.) but he went back to his work (pediatrician) about 5 months after his accident. I'd be happy to talk to you more about it if you want. He also had significant physical injuries with the fall so that also took time in rehab.

#251 of 305 Old 11-25-2013, 07:18 AM

Lofty~yay for the race and count me in on times dh came to see me race to ONE and that one I begged him and he was MISERABLE.  He supports me training and buying shoes, paying for race fees, and welcoming me home after a race, checking my stats and having them ready for me when I walk in the door.  He also texts me my stats and supportive messages on my training runs and on race day before, during and after the race.  So, him not coming to the actual race is totally fine by me.  He supports me so much in the ways that he is comfortable with and that still mean a LOT to me.  I hope your dh can do the same for you. 

RR: last week I ran 2 miles and got 2 body work outs in (to which I could hardly walk or sit after both).  So I'm calling it a win.  Today's work out is going to be another killer and I'm looking forward to the shaky legs again.  I hope I'm burning off some fat.  :)

#252 of 305 Old 11-25-2013, 07:52 AM

Nic, that is hard. Obviously I am no source of wisdom. I like to change course. A lot more often than most people are comfortable with changing. The smoothest transition would likely be going into admin. And, like you said yourself, a lot of potential to effect change. Yes, you would have to study theory you reject, but you have to study theories to reject them, anyway. Doesn't mean you have to actually drink the Kool-Aid, right? :innocent I don't know. A private school is a small business. I know I don't have what it would take, but you have passion there. Either way you would be in ed admin. If that helps to clarify?

JayGee, they looked for stroke too, right? I mean, I know a blow to the head can do a lot, but they ruled out other stuff, I assume, right? I hope he can follow Nic's father's trajectory and be back to himself soon.

I did it. I finished the applications for the kids (minus the forms their teachers have to fill out), and then walked to the school and paid the application fee (more than twice what any grad school charges, per kid), and even turned in the expense report to cover the application fee, all before 1:30P. :thumb Laying the groundwork and hoping Que Sera picks it up from there. Kids are ready for the change.

RR: Walked a couple miles for errands this morning, then biked this afternoon. The weather is outstanding. I wish you all could come for about 10 days. It would be a win-win. You'd get the weather and I'd get you.

#253 of 305 Old 11-25-2013, 08:43 AM

Jaygee:  my dad died of a fall (blot clot on his brain stem after a fall in a Boston subway station). Go now. Drive if you must. You will never regret it.

Nic:  None of those look cheap or easy.  I think you'd be a rockstar principal fwiw. 

Jo: I can't imagine doing grad school from a distance.  My phd work was sort of like that, but unintentionally. I don't recommend it.  (Not enough time to really say what I mean here. But I'll say more later, if I remember).

My kid is in the nutcracker (guess where I am every saturday until 12-21?).  The Minnesota Ballet (based in Duluth) does a super version of it with a company of 8? 10? people.  The kids in the ballet classes fill in.  But it ain't no NYC or Boston production. That said, my kids LOVE it.  I see a NYC trip in our future.  Only because I loved it so and I know my youngest will adore it.

Leaving for class in 7 minutes. Must jet.

Kristin -- mom of Erin (11/5/02) and Leah (9/29/05)
#254 of 305 Old 11-25-2013, 10:55 AM

Kerc, I love picturing you with your girls at ballet every Saturday. Awesome memories!

Jo, I'm slow, clarity-wise, these days but I'm beginning to grasp all that you're dealing with and holy-moly, dizzy.gif Glad you got those apps in! Wish I could go see you.

RM, thank you for sharing your experience! That really helps! I'm just crashing and burning here lately, in the emotional category. It helps to get perspective!

Nic, #4. I feel the same way about the Kool-Aid that you have to learn to mix but it's really just a thing to get through. I can totally see you thriving in that area and I don't see that you have to eliminate #3 but that it could happen down the road, too. So I think 4 and 3, in that order.

JG, I'm very, very sorry to hear your dad is having a hard time recovering. While I'm glad to hear that Nic's dad recovered, I agree with Kerc. Go. If you can make it happen, make it happen.

Me. eyesroll.gif I, too, am looking at returning to school. Unfortunately, I have to re-take the GRE b/c it's been 15 years since I took it. So, I ordered materials yesterday to study over the holidays and then I'll schedule the test in Feb. I have found an online program for my Master's in Information Sciences that would make me qualified to be a school librarian. Downside: cost - probably $28,000 over 2 years to make $1500 more per year. Upside: Mostly online with some class attendance. Not grading papers. Working in a library. Maybe a stepping stone toward working in a research library, law library or university library one day. Drool. The other option I keep thinking about is in Math but I clepped out of undergraduate math and may have to a lot of classes to qualify. Downside: same expense and hour drive each way. Upside: it's in a classroom with real people. Not grading papers. MS in Math might allow me to teach part-time in the college distance programs in our very rural area and I think I'd like that schedule more than 5 days a week teaching. There is also the university where I got my teaching certificate and did previous graduate work near my mom's house. This would mean staying at my mom's a lot (a plus) but being at a university I'm not as crazy about. Does that matter? I got my BA at USF in Tampa, my teaching cert at Lamar Univ in Beaumont and was thinking my MS should come from a different university like SFA or UNT. Am I making too much of a deal about that? Bc if I went to the uni near my parents, they already have me in their system as a previous grad student. Any thoughts from you wise women? orngbiggrin.gif

RR: Oh my are my legs killing me! They are screaming at me! This is why I didn't bother running a day or two before the race since I thought it might hurt this much and I didn't want to blow it. No running for 6 months and then boom... a 5K in 10.3 m/m in my Vibram's. And I almost went barefoot just to feel the squishy pasture. lol.gif

#255 of 305 Old 11-25-2013, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loftmama View Post

Me. eyesroll.gif I, too, am looking at returning to school. Unfortunately, I have to re-take the GRE b/c it's been 15 years since I took it. So, I ordered materials yesterday to study over the holidays and then I'll schedule the test in Feb. I have found an online program for my Master's in Information Sciences that would make me qualified to be a school librarian. Downside: cost - probably $28,000 over 2 years to make $1500 more per year. Upside: Mostly online with some class attendance. Not grading papers. Working in a library. Maybe a stepping stone toward working in a research library, law library or university library one day. Drool. The other option I keep thinking about is in Math but I clepped out of undergraduate math and may have to a lot of classes to qualify. Downside: same expense and hour drive each way. Upside: it's in a classroom with real people. Not grading papers. MS in Math might allow me to teach part-time in the college distance programs in our very rural area and I think I'd like that schedule more than 5 days a week teaching. There is also the university where I got my teaching certificate and did previous graduate work near my mom's house. This would mean staying at my mom's a lot (a plus) but being at a university I'm not as crazy about. Does that matter? I got my BA at USF in Tampa, my teaching cert at Lamar Univ in Beaumont and was thinking my MS should come from a different university like SFA or UNT. Am I making too much of a deal about that? Bc if I went to the uni near my parents, they already have me in their system as a previous grad student. Any thoughts from you wise women? orngbiggrin.gif

Do you have to have a masters there?  In Wisconsin it's an add-on, I think.  (Do you have a TX teaching license?)  We offer an online certificate program.  I know *nothing* about it. Other than we offer it. I think you don't end up with a masters but it is like 10,000 vs. 28000.  Also check into my friend Amy's blog http://delightfulchildrensbooks.com/about/   I think she's in an online program. I'm linking to her "about" page because it tells where. (The I think piece is because I think its online). The rest of you should check it out too.

Super book blog for kids book recommendations. Bonus: she's a running mama. Married to a Ironman.  I swim with him from time to time and she is an amazing mama. I really enjoy her take on books.

#256 of 305 Old 11-25-2013, 12:41 PM

Lofty - the program kerc's friend is in (Univ. of Illinois - Champaign-Urbana) is one I've looked into. It's almost entirely online with a 2 week on campus stint during the summer. I still want to do it, but need to talk DH out of $10K first.... And as an added bonus, you could come visit me on your way up to the U of I joy.gif!

kerc - your story scares me. I'm googling tickets to Manchester NH and Boston. I need to go sometime between Thanksgiving and Christmas, to be sure.

Nic - your story gives me hope. How old was your Dad when he sustained the injury? My Dad is 83, which I think complicates things a bit.

#257 of 305 Old 11-25-2013, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayGee View Post

kerc - your story scares me. I'm googling tickets to Manchester NH and Boston. I need to go sometime between Thanksgiving and Christmas, to be sure.

I didn't mean to scare you, but geez don't mess around. Have you looked into the train?

#258 of 305 Old 11-25-2013, 03:44 PM - Thread Starter

JG - Try not to worry. It sounds like things are heading in the right direction, if in a two steps forward, one step back kind of way goodvibes.gif Im sorry your family has to deal with this

Nic - I like option #4 for you as well (what Kerc said about you being a director or principal of a school - yes). It's kind of the conundrum of anyone trying to make change - how much do you have to play the part to get where you want, while hating the part (think race relations). You have so much to bring to that role already in terms of knowledge and experience and goals. What ever did happen with that director job at your school?

Lofty - :only goodvibes.gif for you. This time of life has been very much what you describe for most of the women I know who are in it or have gone through it. I dont think it would look bad to have two degrees from one school, especially if you hope to work in that area (where employers 'know' the school and may have a loyalty to it themselves). You will smoke the GRE. No analogies! 'Nuff said wink1.gif

Jo - so glad that's all done! Some breathing, writing, and studying room maybe? ...

Hi to everyone else

NRR: heading to CO for Thnxgiving. Rented a house in a small ski town back in Sept for us and two other families; seemed like a good idea at the time, now feels a lot like work. But every day feels like so much work, so I guess the location doesnt matter. Things are very hard. No words, and they wouldnt matter anyway. but checking in when I can

goodvibes.gif to all my Dingoes

mom to  dd1 (11) hearts.gif,  ds (9)bikenew.gif,  dd2 (6) dust.gif  , Daisy (4) dog2.gif
#259 of 305 Old 11-25-2013, 06:07 PM

Sparkle, I'm sorry it's so hard right now and wishing I could do something besides send vibes. Here are some vibes: goodvibes.gif Here's a hug. hug.gif Here's a cup o'joe. caffix.gif and here's a drink. champagne.gif I hope Thanksgiving is peaceful and restful and fills your cup with just what you need. And thanks, I do wonder how much of what I'm going through has to do with my age. This is another reason why I miss my irl girlfriends in Austin so much! Those runs were more about collective wisdom and enlightened humor than anything else.

Kerc, that blog looks awesome. What a fun friend! Love her blog. And you're right! I don't have to go back to school. I can just study for the test. I just downloaded the study info. I plan to spend the next 2 months looking over that add-on test and re-taking the GRE as well. I'm psyched b/c both are itty bitty baby steps in a direction. I don't know where they'll take me yet, but it feels good and empowering to be taking some kind of step. Thanks! smile.gif

#260 of 305 Old 11-25-2013, 06:17 PM

Hugs and loving thoughts for you Sparkletruck and to you JG.  I agree with Kerc, I'd try to get there, just in case.  Although I hear that this is *not* the time to be heading to NE. :(

I'm in aftermath mode.  It's always a nice high to get the show off and then a seriously hard landing when it's all over.  The cast gave me an Ugly Christmas Sweater Nutcracker doll as a thank you gift. I really really had been hoping for just a poster that they all had signed, unframed would have been fine. :o I feel really petty being hung up on this but I am so not into chotchki like that, no matter how relevant. ANd the especially petty and exhausted part of me keeps whispering that I spent more on the presents I gave to cast and crew than all 96 of them could come up with for me.  Sigh.

Lofty - Is it time for another planned separation? Hugs, tea and sympathy for you too.

Nic - I say 4 then 3 too.  All this talk of returning to school makes me feel :dizzy.  I admire you all for going that route, I have my fingers crossed that I don't get that itch though.  

A little bit grasshopper a little bit ant   energy.gifom.gif

#261 of 305 Old 11-25-2013, 08:05 PM

sparkle, I wish I could send you more than :Hug and :goodvibes. This has got to begin to turn around at some point soon. Maybe the time away will jolt some of the cogs back into the right positions.

JayGee, :1praying for your dad and for safe and speedy travels.

Plady, I don't like that feeling, and it's part of why gifty holidays make me anxious and blue. I hope you can catch up on sleep and be healthy and feel overall better in time to be what you have to for those other, most important folks. You should probably do some boxing. :wink

Lofty, like sparkle said, you'll do great on the GRE. I am reviewing math, which is probably a dumb waste, since I am pretty sure the programs I am applying for don't even consider math scores, and most of them don't care about the GRE at all. An MLS would definitely need more nimbleness with data, I would think. Regardless, I have full confidence in you. Sorry your legs are screamy now, but I hope the running in community was worth it. A couple days and you might feel like running again.

Nic, I agree, kick-ass principal...or charter school CEO? Start or work for a nonprofit ed outfit that promotes change either in the system or in grassroots ways?

kerc, I get your point, and I am applying to only one low-res option, in part for that reason. The program kicks off with a 10-day summer residency of 8-hour seminar/workshop days. At the end, each student is paired with a mentor. Every semester has a 10-day residency to start, and the requirement is to work with at least 3 mentors over two years. Students and teachers use Skype, BlackBoard and other tools to exchange and discuss work. It's a writing program, so the push is, of course, to read a bajillion books, and to write both in the craft and about the craft, and the intent is to come out with publishable material and established relationships in the field. There is also some team teaching of undergrads during  residencies, and I intend to look for/make my own teaching opportunities (volunteer if need be) to work with students in Comp and Creative Writing IRL.

So, yes. Breathing, writing, reading, running, walking, and even taking a more relaxed approach with the kids on school, now that they are caught up and at cruising altitude. We should hit semester's end in 2-3 weeks. I am hauling out old work and digging around for new inspiration. Next step is to look for places to send stuff.

#262 of 305 Old 11-26-2013, 02:08 AM

Nic--do you really need another degree to be in administration? I'm thinking not, mainly because you already have the PhD. To get in really high-level positions you might, but not to start. As far as law school: hiring has been dismal (ditto academia). I'd imagine the Montessori or admin paths are worth pursuing for the money. As far as kool-aid, well no (namely because there's a lot of different flavors of kool-aid these days and half the time they're not logically consistent anyhow), but there will be politics and being willing to accept a middle ground. There's also the potential for some really interesting jobs on the research end of things too. One of our administrators works in assessment and research and their job is to work with the data, internal and external, to determine research-based best practices and such. I don't have the statistical background for that kind of work, but what they do is really interesting, both in terms of discovering that something isn't working and all. (Also, how far do you live from Amenia, NY? I doubt there'd be time to meet up when we're there near Christmas, but now I'm curious!)

lofty--what kerc said!

sparkle--have a safe drive! FWIW, I often feel like that about getting to our location in the mountains, but it's always awesome once we're there no matter what my state of mind. A bad day fishing is still better than a good day at work, yk?

JayGee--I'm really sorry to hear that. Any chance he suffered a mini-stroke of sorts when all this was going on (or even that it caused the fall)?

1jooj--The nursing graduate program that Paul teaches in is structured like that with week-long intensives. It seems to work. You're certainly motivated enough to be able to handle it on your end. It's a bit isolating, but I felt pretty isolated my own program, despite the fact that I was physically present.

RR: 3 on the treadmill. Last week was truly pathetic with a mere 10 miles, so I'm going to get back on track this week!

NRR: neat interfaith Thanksgiving service tonight. We've been pairing up with some other churches in the area (Methodist, Presbyterian, Episcopal, sometimes the Hmong Baptists who were sharing our building for a while and always us Lutherans) for a few years, but this year the Jewish congregation in the area joined us too. Their rabbi did the first part of the sermon (is it called that in Jewish service? I have no idea) and our pastor did the second part. It was very cool. Also, she had awesome stylish hair. Protestant clergy, male or female, tend to look like the middle-aged Midwesterners that they often are.

Lisa  caffix.gif and her wonderful girls: R (9) violin.gif &  J (3-3/4) coolshine.gif 
#263 of 305 Old 11-26-2013, 04:24 AM

Sparkle, hang in there mama. :Hug I'm sorry things are so hard. Be safe on your drive. I understand the not wanting to go away now part, and it seemed like such a good idea at the time. We are scheduled to go to my brother's for Thanksgiving day, then on to the DC area for the weekend to celebrate a very close friend's son's bar mitzvah. But the logistics of that part are really challenging, (my food, dd1's food, ds' behavior, coming back, etc.) and I am planning right now to drive back Sat. night late after the party because Sunday the traffic will be monstrous. Sigh. Something to get through and not at all a restful vacation, but I am taking Monday off to recoup when everyone else is in school.

Plady, I don't think it's petty to be sad about that. Congratulations on a great show, and the let down is so hard. You worked really intensely on something and put everything you had into it, and it's over, and you don't feel as valued or recognized as you should be for that. :grouphug

Lofty, the GRE math part especially is mostly gaming the test rather than subject knowledge. In fact, as I recall (ok, I did take them in 1991, but still. :duck) the only part of the test that is NOT like that is the analogies (vocab knowledge). Get a good review book and don't worry about it too much.

Jo, Real, JayGee, Sparkle, everyone, thanks for the input on the career thing. You all are probably right. Anyway the MPH thing is kind of irrational as I'd have to go back and take bachelor's level basic sciences first, and frankly I do not have the patience for it. I'll stick with being a LLL leader and maybe move into an APL position (which requires some advanced specific-medical or legal type stuff) at some point when I have...don't laugh too hard now...time. :rotflmao:eyesroll

As far as needing an educational admin grad degree, well, probably. The director/head of school position at my school is being searched by a special committee, and I'm not being invited to apply as far as I know. My name was apparently floated and rejected because I don't have an Orthodox rabbinical degree (for which, I'd have to grow a penis, which you know, is not going to happen.) Best I can hope for where I am now is the general studies director position which is currently held by a wonderful retired public school superintendent who is mentoring me and is a really terrific person and administrator. I don't know if they have me in mind for his job eventually or not, but I do know I found out yesterday that another full time teacher who does NOT have a Ph.D. but who has been there a lot longer than I is salaried full time and makes more than 10K more than I do. I am still paid by course, not a salaried full time contract. :irked Believe you me, this will change next year or I will walk (and in the meantime I'm looking elsewhere also). That is NOT OK.

Report card day for the kids here yesterday. Suffice to say that my radical beliefs about the crapiness of the 100 point scale and the stupidity of some teachers is reinforced. Sad for my kids, whose efforts and strengths go unrecognized while every fault, small and not as small, is magnified and criticized. :( 

RR: 6.1 miles this morning in a 'balmy' 32*. Felt a lot warmer! :lol It started to flurry a little (I didn't know snow could feel sharp!) and the run went great until with a mile to go I had the kind of stomach attack that makes you stop dead in your tracks for fear of losing your you-know-what for real in the middle of the street. Sigh.

#264 of 305 Old 11-26-2013, 05:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickarolaberry View Post

Lofty, the GRE math part especially is mostly gaming the test rather than subject knowledge. In fact, as I recall (ok, I did take them in 1991, but still. :duck) the only part of the test that is NOT like that is the analogies (vocab knowledge). Get a good review book and don't worry about it too much.

The GRE is different than when we took it. My understanding from my students/friends is that most people now take it twice because the format is a little strange (computer testing takes a lot for students to get used to).

#265 of 305 Old 11-26-2013, 07:06 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

I recommend to my students that they borrow a practice DVD from the library to practice the format.  It's really hard on a lot of students.  I suggest they practice for free instead on their first attempt at the test. 

About to start a major update of my computer.  Please hold your breath, cross your fingers and toes, please!

#266 of 305 Old 11-26-2013, 08:28 AM - Thread Starter

I JUST took the NEW GRE when it came out (August 2011), and I took the old one (1997), and the new one was SO MUCH EASIER. The format is easier, the questions make more sense; its just a better written test. Especially for those of you applying to humanities programs where the math score wont be weighted as much; the Language part is very straightforward and easy to do well on. I have the book from my study time (if I can find it ... its the kind of thing I stumble on when Im cleaning and then forget about) that I can send to whoever (Lofty?). Vocab. is huge, in that, if you have a large vocab., you will do very well. I happen to. But, there are several sections where you have to fill in the blank with the most appropriate word (from a selection) and two of the words make sense (the distinction is very nuanced), such that, knowing the trick of the test, i.e., what ETS is looking for, helps you choose the right answer. Other than that, its reading comp. type stuff. Vocab. is core though

As for the mood stuff, what I am learning is that I am having a particularly out-lying experience, and what is making things so complicated is that "every woman's system is different", and ones system changes from month to month in peri. So, any guidelines are just that, and all of the practitioners Ive consulted do not have a more nuanced understanding of this process beyond the standard of care, which is like hitting a tack with a sledgehammer, or thinking dog when you hear "long tail, four legs, and drools" instead of horse, or even zebra. I have been working out how to titrate hormone therapy, and it is VERY complicated, and the consequence of things not being balanced is severe mood problems (which I shouldnt say here b/c of the public nature of this forum), and I mean SEVERE. Very scary, debilitating, absolutely life-altering. I'm learning as I go, in response to changes I make as I experience the effects of what Im doing, but first I have to experience the effects. The simple version is that too much or too little is BAD, and that there are interactions btwn. the major players that affect each of their levels, so figuring out how they are interacting and what doses of each do what to me and interact together how is not simple addition and subtraction, but a complicated algorythm that I have to figure out with the internet while I am barely making i through the day sometimes.

Mornings are better. This morning, I feel like myself

I was nodding at what Geo said about meds for ADHD, b/c this has shown me how much small tweaks in biochemistry have enormous effects on personality. Its a head-trip (not trying to be funny). Read an op-ed. in the NYT yesterday from a woman who had her pituitary taken out and was shocked to discover that her personality was her hormones, and then she had to figure out the right balance of hormones to bring her back to "herself". I am dealing with less in the cocktail, but yes, Im sorry to be the woman who suggests biology is destiny, but I'll say that it can be some really powerful stuff, even in small changes. Surreal. Next up for me, a medical text on endocrinology.

For example, JG and Nic - my hypothesis about evening anxiety is that there is an interaction btwn. melatonin and estrogen, and that when the light fades in the afternoon, things shift and create that anxiety. Also why I feel better in the morning... Ive read some research that points to this being so. Not that it helps anything redface.gif

Have also talked to a dear friend IRL who is on the other side of this and she said that her mom had severe anxiety during hers such that she was afraid to take the trash out for fear of seeing a neighbor and having to have a conversation. Turns out "agoraphobia" and "social anxiety" are two of the symptoms on the menopause checklist, along with having no motivation, feeling disconnected from others ... oh yeah, and night sweats eyesroll.gif (can I have those instead please redface.gif) Its just crazy to me that my friends mom could be afraid to leave the house for a few years and then, oh, its gone.

mom to  dd1 (11) hearts.gif,  ds (9)bikenew.gif,  dd2 (6) dust.gif  , Daisy (4) dog2.gif
#267 of 305 Old 11-26-2013, 09:02 AM

Sparkle - I read that NYT article a couple of days ago too. I really hope this whole chapter of your life passes quickly and you come out the other side feeling better than ever. For myself, my perimenopausal symptems (mostly very short cycles), have normalized again and the mood issues and anxiety are non-existent for the time being. As you know, all that is subject to change rolleyes.gif.

Plady - honestly, I'd be a little POed as well with that gift. Seriously?!!! I second the recommendation for more boxing.

Nic - I hate the 100 point scale too. DD1 currently has a D, two Cs, and B and an A (in Reading, of course). Why do her grades stink? Because she skips whole rows of questions/problems, forgets to put her name on a page (-5 points), or doesn't realize there is a back to the page. Those Cs and Ds tell me NOTHING about how much she is learning, what she knows, or how smart she is. Just that she's easily distracted. In fact she told me yesterday that she spends her time in school "writing stories in her head", thinking about the book she's reading (Percy Jackson series, currently) and daydreaming about horses. Not sure what to do about that either.

RR - ran/walked for 45 minutes yesterday and hit a 1 hour spin class today joy.gif!

NRR - my brother offered to give me some of his frequent flyer miles to get my ticket to NH! And my Mom offered to pay my bus fare from Boston to Portsmouth! I am so glad! I really feel like I need to see my Dad. He was doing much better yesterday when we spoke - his thoughts were clear and he didn't lose track of the conversation. The rehab facility anticipates him going home tomorrow, but my Mom will need to be with him all the time since he can't stand up by himself and is still catheterized. One of the main reasons I want to go out is to give her a break.

#268 of 305 Old 11-26-2013, 02:09 PM

Oh JG, that is the best news! I am so happy you're going to get up there and see him soon and be there with your mom, too! I feel relieved for you!

Plady, irked.gif Really? I'm so surprised that anyone gives that kind of gift. I'm taking this thing one day at a time for now. At this point, no plans to separate and I don't think I'd have it in me again.

Sparkle, great news about the test. I look forward to studying for it and testing. I just bought this book yesterday, for a whopping $1 plus sh. so if it's the same one or similar, save it for someone else, otherwise, I'd take it b/c I like practicing. Also, I noticed when I signed up on ETS there is a study option that is computerized. Did you do that? B/c I think I should definitely do that since my experience is not with the computer version. On a different topic, I hate reading about how hard life is for you right now. I am buoyed by how well you seem to be processing and studying and experimenting. I am worried a bit about what I have in store. I think I've experienced peri off and on the last few years. This is why it's so important to have an ample supply of female friends just to help sort your thoughts. I'm grateful we have that here, but I'm really glad you have it irl.

Kerc and Geo, Great advice, thanks! Will look for the DVD version, too.

Real, that service sounds so meaningful. Love it.

Nic, I keep thinking how much I'd love a principal/administrator like you! I think you'd be as likely to go to bat for me as you would for your own kids. I can't help but think how lucky some teachers would be if they could work under you. You just have this amazing breadth of knowledge, wisdom, experience, passion, and smarts and this ability to convey it clearly that, wow, just makes me feel like I could trust you, trust in you, be confident by and in your leadership and that that would bring out the best in me /other teachers and that I might even perform better with someone like you leading. I just wonder if there's not some deserving program out there for which you'd be the answer to their prayers.

Jo, I'm really liking your plan. I'm seeing it more clearly now and it all sounds so great! I really look forward to seeing what program you end up going to and how the kids do in their new surroundings. I really enjoy seeing you blossom in a place that works for you and for your kids. I am inspired.

RR: hot yoga scheduled for tonight but since I have so much cleaning and organizing and packing to do, I may blow it off. The weather is the pits for driving, awesome for sitting in front of a fire. Maybe a run would be better... but it's super muddy and pot-holey on the roads today. Not really fun.

#269 of 305 Old 11-26-2013, 02:13 PM

JayGee, I'm so glad you're going to see your dad. I hope he continues to heal.

Nic, I'm frustrated for you that you're not even in the running because of your lack of penis. I hope something good comes for you. I'm doing a low-residency MPH right now and loving it, but I do miss the classroom experience and on-campus community. The non-RN IBCLC work is hard to find, other than the occasional not well-paid WIC job.

Sparkle, you'll need to write an article about this process once you're through it.

RR is actually more regular at the moment! Bootcamp Friday, climbing Sunday, 5k run with big kid biking yesterday and I snuck in 1250m at the pool before pick up today.

NRR- So close to ends of semester work done. One very short paper to write and some final student evaluations. Next Monday/Tuesday is my husband's big interview.

I wanted to fit in more personals, but the car wash line up is finally moving. Yes, I am posting from inside a car wash! Thinking of all of you!

"Guess what? It's a magical world. And when I sing, my songs are in it."
Madly in love with my 7 and 4 year old daughters

#270 of 305 Old 11-26-2013, 06:33 PM

MelW, haha. Love hearing that the low-residence option is working for you!

RR: did hot yoga after all and I'm so glad! It was awesome and a great way to start off the Thanksgiving holidays.

Tags
Fitness

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page