Keeping the Motivation Flame Bright through November - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 305 Old 11-01-2013, 11:42 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Welcome to the November 2013 Dingo thread run.gif

New visitors to the Dingo Thread may ask, "but, what is a Dingo?"

Dingoes are mamas (defined loosely, when needed) who run, walk, cycle, tri, and participate in whatever sport they need to sustain their awesome mama selves in lives that are definitely dynamic. Sometimes, a Dingo is injured, or life takes a turn, and she has to take a break from her chosen sport. Whether active or aspiring, Dingoes support one another in spirit. When two Dingoes are in the same place at the same time, something incredibly special happens. This is called a Dingo Meetup. They are relatively rare, and so we try to record them with photographic evidence.

Are you a Dingo? You just might be, if:

You sometimes perform acts of brilliance in order to squeeze a workout into a busy week.

You're never ashamed of coming in at the back of the pack, even if you're used to coming in faster.

You have found yourself sincerely respecting and admiring moms in all forms, observing how they're doing it for love, and growing from their experiences as well as your own

You won't know until you try, and all comers are welcome.

mom to  dd1 (11) hearts.gif,  ds (9)bikenew.gif,  dd2 (6) dust.gif  , Daisy (4) dog2.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 305 Old 11-01-2013, 12:06 PM

subbing!

#3 of 305 Old 11-01-2013, 12:06 PM

You people are crazy. It isn't even the third or the fourth yet.....

Kristin -- mom of Erin (11/5/02) and Leah (9/29/05)
#4 of 305 Old 11-01-2013, 12:23 PM

Here!

You don’t owe them an explanation, just a response.
#5 of 305 Old 11-01-2013, 12:49 PM

lol.gif kerc!

Finally boarded here, a two hour delay later. How does Mel's flight get cancelled and she gets in earlier?! orngtongue.gif

Go Lisa!

Gaye, single mama to Tyler (5/06) and Baxter the labradoodle
surf.gif bikenew.gif jog.gif Wait...I signed up to DO an Ironman??? I thought I was signing up to go SEE Ironman! nut.gif

#6 of 305 Old 11-01-2013, 01:24 PM

Subbing. Go marathoning Dingos!

"Now bid me run, and I will strive with things impossible." (William Shakespeare -- Julius Caesar)

#7 of 305 Old 11-01-2013, 02:07 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

here

#8 of 305 Old 11-01-2013, 02:24 PM

Hey Mamas,

Thanks for the new thread Sparkle!

I've been reading but couldn't bring myself to post much.  My friend's death sort of wiped me out for a while there.  I could not see the light.  At all.  I often thought of Sparkle and Nic and wondered if they'd recognize the dark and scary place and hoped not.  I also thought about Lofty a lot and am hoping she's not down there too.  :grouphug I'm hoping my last sob-fest flushed it all out of my system on Wed.  I feel much lighter now anyway.

RM - Maybe you could take this Mary extra slow just to have some quiet time to yourself?  It sounds like you could use a few hours of peace.

Thinking of our NYMers!

Love to you all.

P

A little bit grasshopper a little bit ant   energy.gifom.gif

#9 of 305 Old 11-01-2013, 02:37 PM

Thanks for the new thread!

grouphug.gif Plady

Hope you get to NYC soon, tjsmama.

Off to swim practice.

~~Kristina~~ Mama to DS(10/30/01), DD1(VBAC 3/28/04) and DD2(HBAC 5/21/06)
#10 of 305 Old 11-01-2013, 03:20 PM

Go Mel, Gaye and RM!!!

My oldest is 8 today. I got a 93 on today's epidemiology/Biostats exam. I might make it to bootcamp for the first time in three weeks.

Happy November!

"Guess what? It's a magical world. And when I sing, my songs are in it."
Madly in love with my 7 and 4 year old daughters

#11 of 305 Old 11-01-2013, 09:15 PM

November. Wow.

Go Gaye! Go Mel! Go RM!!! I'll be rooting for you from afar! clap.gif

Plady, I have been in that dark place and haven't posted either. I can barely even talk about how bad it was except to say I wrote several emails in my mind to the yahoo group. I did decided to do 3 things this week that might help: 1) see a counselor, 2) visit an architect and 3) see an attorney. Yesterday I finally made it to a counselor. I followed it up with a long, cathartic swim and then did the crazy, random, unplanned, kid-friendly trick-or-treating and so many things happened in the process that I feel like I have made a bizarre 180. I almost feel crazy thinking how different I feel. Maybe just seeing the counselor gave me an outlet and then making the other calls helped me to put some order into my life, which has been chaotic and painful on the inside and outside, both physically and emotionally. I loved seeing the pictures of us in SMA but for some reason the joy on our faces sent me for another loop. Was I that happy? I don't remember being that happy in a long time. I don't know what will be cathartic for you but I hope the dark doesn't stay long. It's so lonely there. You looked fantastic in the play. I'm so sorry about Maureen and just the plain stupid lack of sense it makes. hug.gif

Sparkle, have I already mentioned checking out this kid and reading the book by his mom? Let me know if you're familiar with it. I'm anxious to check out Parenthood, too.

So, as I mentioned to Plady, I saw a counselor this week and it was unimaginably revelatory. In the past, I've only seen a counselor to "fix" something something specific. This time, I just went for clarity. What a relief/release it was just to talk. Without judgement, condescension, justification, etc. I'm going every week indefinitely and I'm so happy about it. I'm sure some of the relief is having an outlet and another part might feel like I'm controlling some little bitty party of my world. Following the session, I swam hard and then did the impromptu trick-or-treating. Since I have an hour-long ride in the country, this amounted to stopping at every single ranch house, farm house, country house along the way that had its lights on. It was unbelievably fun! Those people living way out in the middle of a pasture were SO DANG HAPPY to see us! We got store-loads of candy mostly b/c they have so few visitors and were just that delighted. Right before we got home, someone invited me in for a glass of wine and I thought, sure. why not? I'm almost home. 1/2 an hour later, I realized this was the FIRST TIME since living in Austin that I had had any impromptu visit with a friend and certainly with an alcoholic beverage. It gave me so much hope, in just about everything. hope and faith. the whole universe. i see my entire backyard (endless pastures) in a new light. Makes me wonder if i've self-imposed my own shell. Even going into town felt different. All this because ds2 complained about never trick-or-treating. Next thing you know, we were laughing and having fun, drinking wine with a neighbor, getting contacts for the right builder and architect, lots of good advice, feeling connected, and I'm working the local voting booth on Tues. Serendipity.

Happy Birthday, MelWdd!! birthday.gif

Homeschool Planet http://planethomeschool.net
#12 of 305 Old 11-01-2013, 09:35 PM

Checking in from the big apple! Mel38, her DD, and I are all tucked safely into our hotel room, and way excited for the weekend ahead! They already hit the expo before I got here, but I still need to go and get my race packet and do a little shopping tomorrow, then we have show tickets tomorrow afternoon, then will do dinner and an early bedtime. EEK. And did I mention EEEEEEK? orngbiggrin.gif

surf.gif bikenew.gif jog.gif Wait...I signed up to DO an Ironman??? I thought I was signing up to go SEE Ironman! nut.gif

#13 of 305 Old 11-01-2013, 10:03 PM

Yes, prompt, sparkle. :wink

Plady, I think when someone goes who is so important to us--or just so loved--it becomes a huge task to just figure out how to keep moving. Even when they aren't actually day-to-day in our lives anymore. It's enormous and heavy, and when it feels so wrong on top of that, it can be just too much hurt for a person. And all the interceding issues in trying to climb up the pile of grief...well, hugs. I can't imagine how hard you worked to do all the things you just had to do.

Lofty, your voice sounds alive. That alone is wonderful. I hope things move in a supportive direction for you.

MelW, happy birthday to your DD, and way to go on the exam!

Gaye and Mel38, woot! Have a super race!

RM, you too! Go mama!

Feeling a little conflicted. Just the usual--fitting into a crowd we don't fit into because of our conscious choices. So, living with the consequences of choosing not to fit in. It doesn't bother me, really, but does affect the kids more than I wish. We'll move past it.

Might ride the bikes this morning, maybe get some beach time. Tomorrow is a holiday for dh, so it's nice to have him hanging around. I don't always love the plans he makes, but at least I feel like I have a friend. Plus, he makes breakfast.

#14 of 305 Old 11-02-2013, 12:21 PM

More later but a huge DINGO HIGH FIVE ro DrJen who BQ'd today!! Woot!

"Now bid me run, and I will strive with things impossible." (William Shakespeare -- Julius Caesar)

#15 of 305 Old 11-02-2013, 06:37 PM

Yay Mel and drjen!!

Good luck Gaye!!

I can't believe we did it. It felt like forever especially the last 6. I pleased as punch not to have injuries just soreness. Race report maybe tomorrow. I'm supposed to work in the morning and then spend a few hours at my dads. Right now I'm tuckered out. smile.gif
#16 of 305 Old 11-02-2013, 10:26 PM

Woohoo for RM and drjen!!!

And good luck to Mel38 and tjsmama tomorrow!

Also Yay to MelW for an awesome exam.

joy.gif and hug2.gif and goodvibes.gif to all other Dingos as needed.

Lisa  caffix.gif and her wonderful girls: R (9) violin.gif &  J (3-3/4) coolshine.gif 
#17 of 305 Old 11-03-2013, 02:33 AM

Way to go, drjen! :joy I can't even imagine! Woot!

I just signed up for the GRE. Someone, please tell me I can still do well on a test. help.gif I have 5 weeks to prepare.

#18 of 305 Old 11-03-2013, 04:39 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Yay runners!

Why, jo? Can you get access to a practice program? You take it on a computer and it's an adaptive test. It takes some practice to learn how to do it, completely independent of your abilities.

Up before 6 to 'celebrate' the end of daylight savings. Hoping to finish painting today... Then we finish moving into the kitchen!
#19 of 305 Old 11-03-2013, 05:21 AM

Congratulations to RM and DrJen on the completed marathons! And a BQ for DrJen, wow!!!!

Good luck to Mel and Gaye today in NYC joy.gif (that's me, cheering you both on!)

jooj - I'm no help on the GRE since I last took it in 1992, but good luck to you on the test. What kind of grad program are you thinking about?

Geo - I did the same thing this morning. I woke at my usual 6:20, which is unfortunately 5:20 now.

lofty - you sound so deliciously happy! So glad the therapist is providing the outlet you need. Tell more about the whole "architect" and "builder" thing... Your Halloween sounds like it was just perfect.

I took my crazy Brownie troop on a hike yesterday and it actually went really well. It certainly helped that there were at least 6 parents who joined me and my co-leader, as well as a couple of older siblings. No one got lost, fell in the river, burned themselves in the fire or impaled anyone on a s'mores stick, so I'm calling it a success! My 1.5 mile jaunt through the forest doesn't exactly count as RR, but it'll have to do.

~~Kristina~~ Mama to DS(10/30/01), DD1(VBAC 3/28/04) and DD2(HBAC 5/21/06)
#20 of 305 Old 11-03-2013, 06:18 AM - Thread Starter

Jo - you can definitely do it! They changed the test the year I took it, so I've now taken the old one and the new one, and the new one is so. much. better. They got rid of several dumb sections (analogies), and the ones remaining are very intuitive if you are a language-oriented person (which I consider myself). I did take a course, but even then, the language portion of the books was somewhat easy (compared to math, which was like re-learning most of it redface.gif) However, I do recommend some kind of review book so that you can learn the tricks, because of course the hard part is when they give you two answers that would both work but you have to have some insight into what the test wants you to say, right?

RM, Gaye, Mel38, DrJen - run.gifjoy.gifbroc1.gif Congrats and Good Luck

mom to  dd1 (11) hearts.gif,  ds (9)bikenew.gif,  dd2 (6) dust.gif  , Daisy (4) dog2.gif
#21 of 305 Old 11-03-2013, 10:39 AM

Congrats RM and the-very-speedy-Dr. Jen!!!!

I hope Mel and Gaye are having terrific races, I can't wait to hear and see photos!!

jo, I think you'll do terrifically. As an amusing aside, my husband applied to grad school programs in the US based on two factors: reputation/faculty and not requiring the GRE. We don't do SATs here and many programs don't require the GRE. We tend to follow the US in some regards, but we're way "behind" on the test-mania.

lofty, I'm glad that seeing the counselor is helping in moving forward with things. Sometimes "getting it out there" creates a terrific momentum.

RR- 450m at the pool during the birthday party. I was called to supervision duties before getting in more.

NRR- We had one friend stay overnight after the birthday party, and the combination of late night movies (but still all kids asleep by 9:30 old time) got us "reset" for wake up around our usual 6:30, with the big girls sleeping even later. I call it a successful time change so far.

Big news that I've been keeping to myself for over a week while I mull on it: my husband has been short-listed for a tenure track job and goes in a month to do the interview/public lecture/lead a class. It's at the UBC Okanagan campus, in the same city where I was visiting my grandma last weekend and where my aunt and uncle live. I don't want to live there. It's the opportunity of a lifetime for him, and it's been a few angst-ridden days mulling over the possibilities. This week it was complicated by one of my colleagues suddenly announcing her retirement, which could quite likely mean me *finally* getting a regular position here. I'm sure you'll hear more about this later- it plays into all of the kinds of uncertainties we have both had about our careers and our relationship over the past few years.

#22 of 305 Old 11-03-2013, 04:57 PM

Checking in for marathon results! I hope you're out celebrating your successes!

#23 of 305 Old 11-03-2013, 09:28 PM

Just popping in quickly for those not on FB...those of you who are have already seen the results! orngtongue.gif

The super quick down and dirty version...this race is AMAZING. Brooklyn was one huge party. The Queensboro bridge hurt bad (mile 16) but the crowds on First Ave in Manhattan carried me for another three miles before the Bronx (and its stupid bridges) chewed me up and spit me out. I was on pace for 4:30 until mile 19! The last 10k+ was a huge struggle, but thanks to amazing crowds and pure stubbornness, I sucked it up, got 'er done, and still managed a 9 minute PR and to beat my (more realistic) 4:45 goal. Official time: 4:44:59. lol.gif

Mel38 also had a huge PR and beat her 5 hour goal! And now, time for me to hit the hay. I am way tired and sore. I have a three page (single-spaced) race report written up, but I might have to pare that down a bit before I post it here. winky.gif

#24 of 305 Old 11-03-2013, 10:09 PM

Gaye, it sounds absolutely awesome! And the pics with Mel38, excellent! :joyCongrats, ladies!

MelW, what a uhoh3.gif. Of course I trust you will figure out what to do, and how to make life start to really feel right. You have put so much in, I would love love love to hear that you are getting something out.

I've decided to apply to MFA programs. For a number of reasons, both head-in-clouds and feet-on-ground. I've talked it over with dh and either I sold it well or he is just behind me. He said go for it, and is willing to finance me (of course I do feel entitled, and considering what we have spent on ILs in two years, I am really OK with it) and be supportive/understanding of my needs to make it happen. Including my relocation (with kids) to US. I am looking at fully-funded programs to begin with, and hoping that I can differentiate in a good way from the youngsters. :p Five programs don't even take GREs, two recommend but don't require, one requires it. I'm not too worried about the verbal, have downloaded a math study app, and que sera, sera. I sent requests to three contacts to beg references: my closest prof died 10 years ago, so I am going to have to work for the references, I think. I got one yes already, I am banking on a second yes, and the third is a stretch but we shall see. I have no idea how many programs to apply for. I see people doing 10-15...and I think, $1000 in application fees?! No way.

But now I have to bust a move to get all the writing done. Deadlines are between 15 Dec and 15 Jan. :nut So now, I am off for a walk to clear my head and start writing. I don't know what's more daunting, the sample or the personal statements.

#25 of 305 Old 11-03-2013, 10:23 PM

MelW-- many, many goodvibes.gif as you navigate the relationship and career waters during the next few weeks.

tjsmama--congrats again! I'm so, so very happy that you PR'd and had an amazing race. I had my phone on just in case you wanted to berate me for sabotaging your last 20-miler. winky.gif

Mel38--congrats on your PR too!

1jooj--I would imagine that the work you've done to support your children's education will be a great asset on the GRE. A review book (or website?) will definitely help matters in terms of knowing what to expect. Your verbal skills are amazing and that also will make a great deal of difference.

geo--Did your kids wake you or did you do that on your own? I wake up before 6 only for races and early flights. Then again, the only time I tend to go to bed early is for the same reasons....

JayGee--glad it was a good hike.

RR: 8 miles here, though not until tjsmama had finished running. I figured I could probably cheer her on virtually through their website, and she was at about mile 15 when I started watching.

NRR: all sorts of thoughts are flying through my head these days, ranging from how to find my mojo to how to fit in everything I want to do, to money and career issues, and last, to my frustration with the current national dialogue regarding college majors and career choices. My girls, thankfully, are still young, but I'm chafing at the idea that I should steer both of them toward a career in math/science/medicine/engineering because that's where the money is. I'm frustrated by a society that consistently devalues the work of all but a few and frustrated even more knowing that people often do make trade-offs between their passion and their salary. And yet I sit here with my degree and lack of income, wondering if a radically different career choice would have been a good idea. (Journalism was my original goal, but that wouldn't have worked out so well either. What I really wanted to do was work for the FBI, but my eyesight wasn't good enough to meet their standards. I considered the CIA instead but it didn't seem worth it 'cause it wasn't nearly as interesting as the FBI.) Anyhow, it's just unfair and probably a pointless exercise to steer children toward any particular area because who knows if we'll be paying anyone decently in another 20 years anyhow.

Lisa  caffix.gif and her wonderful girls: R (9) violin.gif &  J (3-3/4) coolshine.gif 
#26 of 305 Old 11-04-2013, 08:16 AM

Morning mamas -

Congratulations Gaye and Mel38!  This calls for some dancing produce I believe!    carrot.gifbanana.gif carrot.gifbroc1.gif   carrot.gifbanana.gifbroc1.gif carrot.gif  banana.gifbroc1.gif  ​Those brocs hear their own drummer.

Jo - That's exciting news!  Will you give us some hints about which schools you're looking at? (alas I suppose there aren't any attractive options in my neck of the woods).

MelW- Exciting and scary news for you. There's the final hurdle for dh still right?  But you feel his connections will make it happen for him?  Sending some :goodvibesfor clarity for you both.

RM - Congrats on your marathon finish too!  One marathon down, life picks up right where you left off right?  

Real - I hear you.  I could totally see you as a Agent Scully type.  

Lofty - I like the sound of your new planning!

RR: Not much, I'll be planking briefly some time today and I'm also climbing back on that wagon.  You would certainly not recognize me as a sugar-avoider if you could have seen me for the past three weeks.  It's time to straighten out my diet, my moods and my cough are likely fallout from it coming apart at the seams.

NRR: My dad has been here for a couple weeks helping hold things together while I've been off losing my mind.  Now he's heading home tomorrow and I feel more or less back to myself so it's just a matter of getting back on course.

A little bit grasshopper a little bit ant   energy.gifom.gif

#27 of 305 Old 11-04-2013, 08:49 AM

So as usual I'll apologize for my self absorption. Sigh.

Plady, I'm sorry you've been pulled into the vortex of sadness. I have been spending way too much time there lately myself. I feel like I write here every day, "I've got to make some changes." And I do -- I just feel pulled in so many directions I don't know where to start. But losing your friend had to have been devastating, and mama, I am so very sorry for your loss -- of her in this world, and of yourself for a while. We love you. Hang in there.

Jo, can I once again say how absolutely awesome you are?! What a fab idea -- MFA! I'm laughing because I took the GREs in 1992 also, and I totally killed the verbal section/logic sections (perfect scores!) and totally bombed the math. Which is really gaming the test, in all honesty. Luckily it didn't keep me from grad school and I ended up in the exact right program for me (with full tuition remission and a stipend to boot!). It will work out for the best as far as which program and I have no doubt you'll also kill that test. You are so incredibly talented mama -- what a gift you will be to any program you join. And maybe with you stateside a few more months a year we might actually get to...ahem... MEET IN PERSON!

GAYE AND MEL38! YOU ROCK. DR JEN! YOU ROCK. RUNNINGMOMMY! YOU ROCK.

So proud of our Dingo sisters who put it all out there to race this past few weeks. If I missed anyone, YOU ROCK TOO!

So yeah, I'm probably entering the lottery for NYC again. Got. to. do. it. someday. Although my luck, no entry. Sigh.

Bec posted something on FB about 30 days of gratitude. I saw a post this morning also about seeing the 'flowers, not the weeds' and how the author (of the book coming out, regarding living in the moment essentially) realized she was really damaging her relationships and her family's life through her negativity. That made me feel entirely guilty, and also even more depressed. I don't know how to get out of my own vortex. Seasonal sadness, yes. But also feeling so mired in what should be trivial issues but seem so insurmountable, plus issues that are not trivial (see: ds and school; dh and me), and what feels like endless exhaustion (see: getting up at 4 a.m. to run so I can go to work full time then take care of my house full time with very little help -- see again, dh and me). And now, I am TOTALLY SICK OF MYSELF.

Bleh.

In any case, RR: 12.07 miles yesterday, speedier than usual because I was with a partner who is a lot faster than I. Next Sunday we have a half marathon race scheduled, which a) starts at noon; and b) is very hilly. Ack. Not hoping for a PR here but the second half of the race is a net downhill, so you never know.

#28 of 305 Old 11-04-2013, 09:08 AM - Thread Starter

Real - ding ding ding; yes. I hear you on all of it, except the FBI/CIA part lol.gif And yeah, I totally recognize you in that orngtongue.gif I have considered many times that I should have gone into medicine, mostly b/c I loved bio. and now am surrounded by friends who are doctors and they seem to come close to the goal of doing what you love, service, and quality of life ... although they are all cynical and burnt out by the system of medicine, and Dh says "oh yeah, I get to serve others by writing prescriptions for percocet". But, I am envious nonetheless. I think its part of the mid-life thing, the re-evaluation of past choices and cultivation of new passions, paths, and goals, combined with how this wiser, more experienced perspective can inform your children's lives. I am feeling that acutely lately as I look at middle/high schools for DD1. We have the luxury of choice, which isn't necessarily better, ya know? The 5 options all have pluses and minuses, and would all be 'fine', but it is stressful trying to imagine how each path will affect DD1's drive, sense of self, and interests. Ack! Trying to make up for one's parent's inept parenting is exhausting lol.gifredface.gif

Plady - goodvibes.gif Glad to hear you are on the mend. I have absolutely been where you describe, and it is beyond terrible, like life and those feelings are incompatible. It makes sense that you would go to such a dark place, when something so unexpected and so wrong happens. I imagine that your world view was deeply shaken and altered, and getting back to a new normal would take time and working through some brutal emotions. Screw the planking, how about some deep body-work to release all the stuff you just went through?

MelW - Sigh, that sounds really difficult, but it also sounds like its bringing to a head something that has been building for awhile? I hope this time is productive and optimistic for everyone goodvibes.gif

Geo - joy.gif on the new kitchen orngbiggrin.gif

Lofty - It sounds like you have a lot going on that I didnt know about. Im glad you have found an outlet/support in the counselor and swimming, and many goodvibes.gif transitioning through this time of change on all these fronts

Jo - az, nm, co, ut? Peace.gifwhistling.gif

#29 of 305 Old 11-04-2013, 11:29 AM

Nic, I am not sick of you.

Whoosh. This applying is going to suck, no? Like I needed more self-doubt. Anyway, I got three yes replies for me requests, though one came with a big "are you sure you want me to?" qualification, so I am going to check with a fourth and if she says go, there I go. Working on my personal statement, and digging around in my own work. Yikes.

So I think I am going to back out of Arabic lessons while I work on this process. I feel $h!tty about that, but I have to draw a line.

sparkle, nm, az. plady, or. lofty, tx. And maybe wi and ia. I know I'm dreaming, but I really should at least try. At least the profs said yes.

#30 of 305 Old 11-04-2013, 11:35 AM
bec

I'm checking in here for the first time in ages.  Now that I am on Facebook, it seems difficult to come here as well. 

Anyway, in the past month, my 9.5 year old, husband and I ran a half marathon.  DD did amazing.  Such grit.  She set a pretty punishing pace.  I was expecting to come in over 3 hours, but she stuck it out and had an official time of 2:51!!  So proud of her.  Dingo in the making for sure!  Then, I went out to Arizona and helped my best friend get married.  This is a second marriage for both of them, and they bring 6 kids into the mix (2 girls of her own, and his 4 boys).  They are a regular Brady Bunch.  The ceremony was so filled with meaning, with every moment of it being about creating this family union (not just the marriage between the adults) that was so special it brought tears to my eyes.  Their whimsy and sense of humor was present throughout.  It was right before Halloween, so all the kids were welcomed to wear costumes.  There was a ghost pinata and cupcakes for them as well.  Everyone had a great time. 

Now, I am trying to get back on the straight and narrow food wise.  I want to get my weight down to something a bit more reasonable.  So, I'm trying something new.  I am journaling my food.  I want to get a better sense of how many calories I'm taking in.  That will help me know whether I need to be having more or less (I think I may have inadvertently put my body into a starvation mode with all the 70.3 training I did over the summer, but don't know for sure).  I'm going to try this for a month or two, and if I don't see any positive movement within that time, then I will go to the doctor and see if there is something else going on. 

I haven't been keeping up much here, but it looks like there are definitely some hugs and support that needs to go around. 

Plady, I hope that you come out of your dark spot.  I know how hard it can be to pull yourself out of that kind of place. 

Lofty - I'm glad to hear that you are seeking counseling.  If that is what releases the pressure, then do it and don't look back! 

Jo - I understand that the School of the Art Institute of Chicago is a good one (also my alma mater). :wink  Just sayin.

Nic - I can also get stuck in a negativity spiral and feel like it is impacting my relationships.  It's why I participate in these kinds of facebook affirmations.  I also am keenly effected by the weather (lack of sun).  And it is more so right now because I did spend a week in Arizona (seriously, it is just sunshine every.single.day).  So, I'm working really hard (fake it till you make it sort of thing) to try to avoid the spiral from starting.  My depression brings everyone down, and then I feel guilty and anxious about it, which only leads to more depression.  Here's the thing, though.  You don't have to dig out of a hole.  You can start from the top.  For me, even if I had a horrid day, if I can think of one positive thing, it puts a different spin on things.  Then, I start a positive spiral (usually takes me till mid-april to figure this out, though, so I'm working on doing that sooner).  And I also know that this is all VERY easy to say, and can be so monumentally hard and agonizing to do.  Just know we are here, behind you, regardless of whether you have a crappy, negative day, or are seeing everything as unicorns and rainbows. 

To all that raced, PR'd and generally kicked ass this past weekend, Huzzah!!!!!  You ladies never cease to inspire me!

RR: Whenever I finish a big race, I tend to coast after for a while, and it seems like I have to claw myself back to a good base level.  After the 70.3 this summer (and as soon as I was on antibiotics for a while to get rid of the bronchitis), I was immediately in half marathon training.  I don't have another big race until the Indy Mini, so I am having to work on staying focused.  I am happy to say, that, while my biking has slacked, I am still running 3 days a week (about 12-14 miles), swimming twice and doing strength work 1-2 days per week.  While I'm working out for 5-6 days a week, I am to a much more reasonable time.  I don't have any more 2-5 hour workouts!  1 hour is pretty much the tops for me, as I work on base conditioning through the off season.

Mama to: Katie, Emily , and Abby
Not perfect, Just amazing!

Tags
Fitness

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page