Mothering Forum banner

8 week Healthy Weight Loss Challenge version 12 (enrolling through Nov. 13, starts Nov. 11)

5K views 228 replies 21 participants last post by  lilacvioletiris 
#1 ·
Words of wisdom from Milk8shake (with minor modifications):

The version 1 thru version 11 eight week challenges were a great success, and many of us are up for another eight weeks - we're opening it up for any newbies who would like to join the next round of the challenge.

Please read below.

Background: The thought came to my head because I joined the "losing weight in 2012" thread, but I didn't have much motivation, and I had no-one to be accountable to. I was thinking about the Biggest Loser, and how teams can be such a motivation. So, I thought I would throw this out there for anyone who needs to get some weight loss happening, but just can't seem to get off the couch.

The challenge: Commit to an eight week weight loss challenge. You'll be assigned to a team, and your weight loss percentage will be measured on an individual and a team basis. The team with the highest loss percentage at the end of the eight weeks will be the winner. This is a TEAM effort. If you lose, your team wins! Your weekly progress will be updated on the leader board for all to see.

The requirements/rules:

1. You have to be willing to commit to the full eight weeks beginning Nov. 11, 2013 and ending Dec. 30, 2013.
  2. You have to be willing to commit to exercising a minimum of 4 x 30 minute sessions per week - the type of exercise is up to you!
  3. You have to be willing to check in and update your progress and weight at least weekly on Mondays.
  4. You have to be willing to share your weight and your height. (By PM if you are shy) You may not join if losing 1 lb / .5 kg per week will put you in an underweight category according to your BMI (check here) at the end of eight weeks.
  5. If you miss more than 2 weigh-ins in a row, we will continue to track, but your loss will NOT contribute to your team's totals.
  6. You may not join if you are pregnant. If you become pregnant during the challenge, weight loss up to your BFP will be added to the team challenge, but then I will ask that you wait until after your baby is born to join again.

The prize: A thinner waistline, a slimmer derriere, and the opportunity to bask in the glory of the winning team. The challenge will not start until Monday, Nov. 11, 2013. Sign up now to let us know you are interested so I can begin making teams.

See less See more
#4 ·
Great, I think this time of year is the hardest because of the many holiday traditions that involve food and the lack of exercise that happens in the colder regions.

#6 ·
Great! The more the merrier!

#9 ·
Glad to see some familiar names as we look at losing weight through the holiday season.

#11 ·
I'd love to join! I've got exactly 8 lbs to lose to get back to pre-pregnancy weight and i know I'm going to need some accountability to get through the holidays. Usually i sign up for a mid-January half marathon which tends to do the trick as far as keeping me on track through thnxgvng and xmas, but I had a 9lb9oz baby at the end of June, and I'm still just getting back into running. My goals are more fitness related than weightloss, so the challenge to exercise 4x a week is going to be great for me.

#13 ·
I think this 8 week challenge spanning the
Often food heavy holidays in November and December will b great to keep people on track.

welcome and Welcome back!

#15 ·
Someone Thought you were pregnant when you are not. Oh man, those comments are terrible. One of my sisters loves to wear shirts that fit iI such a way that she looks 5 months pregnant when she isn't but wants to be. I have learned to not comment unless someone says they are pregnant just in case they are gaining weight for other . had a coworker who had lost a lot of weight look pregnant but she never announced it. I had suspicions but didn't want to ask. I didn't get confirmation until someone asked me what I was getting for her baby shower, which I wasn't invited to. Very embarrassing either way. But foot not inserted in mouth is better in the long run for me.

#16 ·
hola.gif
Yes...I am in! I keep missing the sign up for these after starting 1 last year and failing out in the 1st 2 weeks. This time I am ready and really committed to seeing it through. Do we giving starting stats now or on the 11th?

#17 ·
Welcome! Starting Stats should come in on Monday november 11.

#18 ·
Ok, I took one session off and I think I am ready again to commit.

Sigh, starting off again at 152.... would like to make it to 148 by the end of the session (my 'real' goal is 140, but it doesn't seem to do me good wanting to drop 12 lbs and I end up losing none.)

DH and I are trying to do Insanity 3 times a week and running 2 times a week.... I am also trying to do no sugar or refined grains most of the time.

Good luck ladies!

#20 ·
Chloe's Mama sometimes weight loss needs a reboot. Small goals are good.

Pacific Cheryl, welcome!

#24 ·
am giving a try to the Zoe Harcombe diet, am on day 2 of 5 for phase one

impatient to see if it will have made a change by Monday weigh in ....

still keeping up with exercise

my downfall is stress & lack of sleep (but then my knitting and crochet projects are in a good way to be soon finished !) and therefore that's when i tend to overeat .....

#25 ·
Oh, are we meant to be starting already? I've been eating tons of chocolate and icecream and drinking beer so as to "get rid of it" before the challenge begins. I think Im going to have to go cold turkey on the sweets and sugar, I'm seriously addicted.

#26 ·
no, not meant to

... i just try not to lapse too much between challenges (i have in the past put on 2 or 3 lb in a week at the end of a challenge ... was not happy about it !)

& the last 3 weeks have been terrible foodwise for me, hence my being fed up on Thursday and being ready yesterday to tackle someting new "right now"

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.