Dingo Bells, Dingo Bells, Dingo all the Way!!!! - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#121 of 213 Old 12-15-2013, 04:23 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ski today shortened. Minus five was too cold for my toes/hAnds.

Kristin -- mom of Erin (11/5/02) and Leah (9/29/05)
#122 of 213 Old 12-15-2013, 07:32 PM

Welcome, KayleeZoo, and good luck with your PR goals!

Gaye, 5 inch heels? You are impressive!

Nic, :bow Badass hardcore dingo, for sure. I hope you had a nice day in after your run.

kerc, brrrrr!

RR- Run date tomorrow with my husband. Yesterday's run together convinced him that we should do it more often :)

NRR- The girls had their Christmas recital for violin this afternoon, then we decorated our Christmas tree this evening. We poached a tree from an area slated for development, and read Danny the Champion of the World. I love our little wild Christmas tree, complete with the star I made out of cereal boxes and tissue paper when I was 24 and we had our first Christmas tree. We still put the same origami swans on it, too, though we've accumulated a lot more decorations over the years :)

"Guess what? It's a magical world. And when I sing, my songs are in it."
Madly in love with my 7 and 4 year old daughters

#123 of 213 Old 12-15-2013, 07:55 PM

MelW - Thank you for the inspiration!  I can be pretty slow so no doubt you'll all be like, well duh but Ali G put "a star for the top of the Christmas tree on her list to Santa (did I mention her first <3 page> draft got kicked back to her by the kindly old elf and she was asked to pare it down to 4 or 5 things she'd "treasure"?)  Obviously, we should have a craft day and make one.  I can get past my innate loathing of doing crafts at home for this special moment.  I can.

Nic - Don't beat yourself up over the eggs.  Eggs are yummy and the hens are going to lay them whether vegans want to eat them or not, and whether they are fertilized and incubated or not.  So enjoy!  And I love the description of your pants.  I recognize that I have the same pair and they are the perfect foul weather running pants!

Reading along and thinking about what a western white christian culture I'm suffused in here.  I was just in our community choir concert which was unabashedly Christmas.  Honestly the only nod to non-Christian culture was the French Canadian carol that used Huron tonality and referred to Great Gitchi Manitou.  Being part of the dominant demographic here it's easy to not even think about alternatives.  I wonder if the director hears much about this, if this year's concert was particularly Christmas heavy or if it's something that just hasn't even come up as a question - totally possible considering the demographic.  But, it bring s me to Nic's bias towards the lights.  I love them and I wish they were less tied to Christmas and more to the winter darkness because it sure does help to have those pretty lights twinkling here and there in the depths of December and would be at least as nice in January and February when it's still darker than you are willing to believe.  

Ali G just asked for a hair cut so I'd better go do it while the spirit is willing!

A little bit grasshopper a little bit ant   energy.gifom.gif

#124 of 213 Old 12-16-2013, 05:37 AM

Jakey-cat is not doing well. He hasn't eaten more than a kibble or two since coming home from the vet. he's painfully thin and wants to be with us/on us all the time. He drools profusely. DH and I got in a huge fight yesterday about him. It was awful. The total bill was $852 and still no definitive diagnosis. The vet suspects lymphoma, but diagnosis requires a $500 ultrasound and the associated chemo costs for maybe 6-8 more months of life. I think we need to have him put down, but DH doesn't even want to pay for that. I guess we'll just let him die here. I don't know.

Sorry to be such a downer. This weekend was just horrible.

~~Kristina~~ Mama to DS(10/30/01), DD1(VBAC 3/28/04) and DD2(HBAC 5/21/06)
#125 of 213 Old 12-16-2013, 06:04 AM

I'm sorry, JayGee. :(

"Now bid me run, and I will strive with things impossible." (William Shakespeare -- Julius Caesar)

#126 of 213 Old 12-16-2013, 06:16 AM

Oh, JG, I am so sorry to hear that your kitty is so sick. :( I had missed that he came home, what a surprise! And now this. Gosh, I am sorry that you guys have to go through the agony of making that decision. So sorry. I hope that you can enjoy your time with him, know that you have done what you could and what was reasonable. I guess I have lost too many pets in the past two years and just feel that when their time comes, it's best to let them go. guilty.gif Just so heart-wrenching to find him just to have all this happen.

Gaye, Nick, kerc, Plady, Mel, Geo  Lofty, Sparkle, Jo, Real... wave.gif

Welcome KayleeZoo!

Yeesh, I need a run. Only 2 more days of this work-overload that I got myself into. Almost through it... geek.gif 

Melissa
mom to 3 lovely kids
#127 of 213 Old 12-16-2013, 09:10 AM

I am so sorry, JayGee. It's hard and frustrating to get that kind of bill and then have to go through more of this. Maybe Jake tried to go off on his own and failed to launch. Poor, poor kitty. I hope dh can feel his feelings and then set it aside and help you do right by your friend. :Hug I am so, so sorry.

Fast schon fertig, Mel38! Keep working!

Nic, I am with Plady on the eggs. I was pretty close with my chickens, and I don't think any of them really minded my eating the eggs, except when they went broody.

Today, I cooked good food, edited a poem, wrote another poem, graded some school work, took my kids for a walk in the cool windy weather, and tutored them in French for almost two hours. Also, I sent a package to my parents. This was a productive day. I hope tomorrow is productive, too, but dh has been so busy that, even though we got the birth certs and my passport pages, I am concerned we might miss our deadlines. Frustrating.

I wore a sweater today.

#128 of 213 Old 12-16-2013, 09:55 AM

JayGee - I'm so sorry about Jake.  And I'm sorry that dh is blinded by the $$.  It's hard enough to face the hard choices but harder still to feel your hands are tied.  I hope that Jake can let go gently knowing how much you love him.  

Nic - Also thinking about your struggle to find the best path for your ds.  Be gentle with yourself mama.  There is a certain degree of grieving we do as parents when our children don't match the vision we have for them.  We want to love them perfectly for who they truly are but it isn't just automatic and easy to accept that who they are isn't the ideal that we developed for them.  We want them to be happy, healthy, focused, fit, self-motivated, loving, obedient, responsible, funny, jolly, clever, optimistic, diligent, respectful, intelligent, friendly, loving, loved etc. and it can be overwhelming to realize that they are their own imperfect person heading out into their own imperfect world doing imperfect things and having imperfect relationships and there is so little we can do to change any of that.  But your son, my daughter, all of our little ones have a great advantage of being loved deeply by people who are paying attention, even if we can't always divine the perfect course for them.

I'm home this morning with a mildly sick dd.  I'm keeping her home from morning kindergarten and hoping she can handle her afternoon school.  But it's a long day ahead so I'm not making any bets.  Tonight we'll be showing the Nutcracker cast the dvd of their performance and it's always fun to watch the kids see themselves perform.  

Had a discussion with dh about things.  We so rarely get a chance to talk without kids in earshot so a lot of stuff never gets said.  It sounds like he's really getting fed up with my schedule and feels unsupported.  I can see his point and of course I hate being told that I need to change anything.  So we'll see how this goes.  He's planning to run for the Prosecuting Attorney's job in November and campaign season is on the horizon.  I'll have to use whatever acting skills I've got to look the part of candidate's wife.  But it comes with dental coverage so I've got my motivation!  

#129 of 213 Old 12-16-2013, 11:49 AM

Plady, love your thoughts about grieving the image of our child. So sweet. Love your attitude re: candidate's wife, too! You really crack me up!

JG, greensad.gif So sad about Jake's illness. This is not the time for dh to be a bear. Hope Jake gets lots of love regardless.

Sparkle, I wonder if your ds had LOTS more gifted and challenging classes and students around him in which he could thrive, he might then feel satisfied/fulfilled and do well in a mainstream setting - but only after all his strengths are met. I think many adults are that way, so it's not like you have to figure it out when you're young. If the gifted teacher has no problem with him, then certainly this is his element but it sounds like he needs more of that element in order to do well in the other areas. Check out Jenifer Fox's Huff Post page for articles about putting strengths first.

Nic, that book looks fascinating. Metal Child sounds like it applies to one of mine. You sound like you're on the right track to figuring out the right thing to do. Re: Christian holidays, here's one for you: I was raised in a Christian faith that believes it's A SIN to celebrate Christmas, Easter, Halloween, etc. I would make Christmas decorations only to trash them later. My family put up lights but made sure to iterate that it's just in winter fun and not to celebrate Christians. So we are a Happy Holidays family. You're not alone.

Sick kids at home and getting interrupted. I'll be back for more personals and RR report later.

Homeschool Planet http://planethomeschool.net
#130 of 213 Old 12-16-2013, 05:00 PM

nic~Hardcore for sure! And I also agree that the chickens did not care about the eggs, and if you need the protein, you need the protein!

wave.gif Kayleezoo. Welcome!

jaygee~hug.gif So sorry that jake isn't doing well. goodvibes.gif for peace and healing for you and him.

plady~Love that your motivation is dental coverage! orngbiggrin.gif

It was a very nice weekend here, and continued today. I'm back to work tomorrow, so I have one more *day* to enjoy before the crap hits the fan. We had a very nice domestic day yesterday wherein C worked on his car, we ran errands, I got lots of laundry done, etc. I was also introduced to the wonders of going on base to do shopping and get children haircuts (C is in the guard). It was quite lovely. orngtongue.gif Today was a ski day with friends from work, although a short one, since I had to get DS to school and pick him AND a friend up after. I made him ride the bus to school to give me an extra 20 minutes. bag.gif It was a really lovely day...beautiful weather, good snow, and good company. And then my phone rang around noon, and it was C...who had gotten out of work early and came up to join us. I only got two runs in with him before I had to leave to get to school pick-up, but it was a lovely surprise. And then DS's friend entertained him long enough for me to get presents wrapped and laundry put away, so that was a nice little bonus. I'm just starting to stress out about all the things that need done before we leave for midwestern parts on Friday...*especially* since I work the next three nights. Christmas shopping is mostly done (and we'll have time to finish up when we get there), but there's still more laundry, and cleaning up the house, and packing, and just making sure everything is ready. I'm slightly less stressed about it since we're driving and not flying, but still. I don't think space is going to be an issue, but C is using his Hertz points to rent a car for the trip (both for better gas mileage than my SUV and also not to put miles on my SUV) and I have no idea what kind of car it's going to be. Hopefully a comfortable one, since we're driving straight through, and I may or may not get much sleep on Friday between getting off work and hitting the road!

rr~Skiing today. I did some bumps, so that counts, right? And a quick bike ride yesterday. It was absolutely gorgeous yesterday, too nice not to ride outdoors. Of course, by the time we finished running all our errands, daylight was fading fast. Still, I squeezed in 45 minutes, not too bad...

Gaye, single mama to Tyler (5/06) and Baxter the labradoodle
surf.gif bikenew.gif jog.gif Wait...I signed up to DO an Ironman??? I thought I was signing up to go SEE Ironman! nut.gif

#131 of 213 Old 12-16-2013, 08:41 PM

Nic--I don't think it's odd to like Christmas lights just because you don't celebrate it. These are, after all, partly cultural celebrations and if you wouldn't bat an eye at attending festivities from another culture (Chinese New Year? an American Indian ceremony or sweat lodge?), you shouldn't feel any weirder about doing something that involves holiday lights. And that's without delving into the deeper historical context, which basically shows us that most cultures and religions have celebrations of some sort involving lights this time of year, including, most obviously, your own. smile.gif Lights are pretty widespread, culturally, even if they tend to be more connected with a certain religious tradition than others in this country.

Plady--I spent some time thinking about what you said about your choir, but the flip side of diversity is this: who are we kidding when a bunch of white people sing music from the Middle East or Africa or China? If they do, it's almost always in Westernized arrangements and I'm not sure what we accomplish...musical colonialism in the name of diversity? IMO, it makes more sense to invite other ethnic groups to do performances of styles outside the Western realm--perhaps on the same concert even. That's not to say that "white people" can't perform the music of other cultures, but it is an acknowledgement that in general, most members of a specific culture group excel in the art of the culture in which they were raised. It's possible to learn the other cultures, but it takes a lot of study to present the music without an "accent," so to speak.

JayGee--so sorry about the cat and the DH and the bill. Ugh all around.

tjsmama--yay for skiing and I feel your anxiety. We don't leave until Monday, but we're flying and all the usual space concerns apply then and for the rental car. I want to bring all our stuff with us when we leave my in-laws to go visiting everyone else, in case weather forces us to go straight from my uncle's house in MA back to the airport in Burlington.

OK, onto the giant to-do list before I collapse into bed in a few hours.

Lisa  caffix.gif and her wonderful girls: R (9) violin.gif &  J (3-3/4) coolshine.gif 
#132 of 213 Old 12-17-2013, 05:31 AM

Nic, nothing weird about liking the lights. Empirically, they are beautiful, no matter what your belief. Nice job on the hardcore run too!

Plady - hey, health insurance is as good a reason as any to don your "politician wife" hat!

tjsmama - good luck getting it all done and have a great trip!

As for the cat, he's still alive. DH and I finally talked about everything and he really didn't realize how sick the cat has been for months. I think this lymphom thing has been going on for a lot longer than we realized. And he doesn't want to put him down because in his family, they always just let their cats die naturally and he thinks putting nimals down is inhumane. So for now we are keeping Jake as comfortable as possible, giving him tons of love and forgiving him of the drooly messes he is making all over the house. I'd say he has a week left at the most, especially since he's not eating at all now.

#133 of 213 Old 12-17-2013, 06:47 AM

Let;s start with running related.

I went for a ski last night with my friend. 48 minutes skiing. WOOT!  And I might have time to make it two days in a row. Imagine!

Quote:

Originally Posted by loftmama View Post
Re: Christian holidays, here's one for you: I was raised in a Christian faith that believes it's A SIN to celebrate Christmas, Easter, Halloween, etc. I would make Christmas decorations only to trash them later. My family put up lights but made sure to iterate that it's just in winter fun and not to celebrate Christians. So we are a Happy Holidays family. You're not alone.

Awww geez. That just breaks my heart.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plady View Post

Had a discussion with dh about things.  We so rarely get a chance to talk without kids in earshot so a lot of stuff never gets said.  It sounds like he's really getting fed up with my schedule and feels unsupported.  I can see his point and of course I hate being told that I need to change anything.  So we'll see how this goes.  He's planning to run for the Prosecuting Attorney's job in November and campaign season is on the horizon.  I'll have to use whatever acting skills I've got to look the part of candidate's wife.  But it comes with dental coverage so I've got my motivation!  

I think it is awesome that you managed that discussion. And that you are not reporting back bitterly that you need to change. Also did you say dental coverage?

Gaye:  When did I miss this relationship became take the boy home to meet the 'rents serious?  Wahooooooooo. I hope it goes well. (The road trip. I'm sure mr hottie, c, will go over well).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Realrellim View Post

Plady--I spent some time thinking about what you said about your choir, but the flip side of diversity is this: who are we kidding when a bunch of white people sing music from the Middle East or Africa or China? If they do, it's almost always in Westernized arrangements and I'm not sure what we accomplish...musical colonialism in the name of diversity? IMO, it makes more sense to invite other ethnic groups to do performances of styles outside the Western realm--perhaps on the same concert even. That's not to say that "white people" can't perform the music of other cultures, but it is an acknowledgement that in general, most members of a specific culture group excel in the art of the culture in which they were raised. It's possible to learn the other cultures, but it takes a lot of study to present the music without an "accent," so to speak.

Hmm. Interesting perspective. Just mental chewing here, but there is some benefit to having kids perform stuff outside of the "mainstream", no?  Like the whole idea that hey, there is an "other". In the academic world we see the term "inclusive excellence" bantered around -- the idea that everyone/culture/etc is equally important and should be/feel included. Conceptually I get it. In practice, I'm back at what you just said -- is this stuff just lip service or can we do it right? 

I would love love love to see a Native American opening to our holiday concert. Because the largest minority (still tiny) is Ojibwe  where my kids go to school.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayGee View Post
As for the cat, he's still alive. DH and I finally talked about everything and he really didn't realize how sick the cat has been for months. I think this lymphom thing has been going on for a lot longer than we realized. And he doesn't want to put him down because in his family, they always just let their cats die naturally and he thinks putting nimals down is inhumane. So for now we are keeping Jake as comfortable as possible, giving him tons of love and forgiving him of the drooly messes he is making all over the house. I'd say he has a week left at the most, especially since he's not eating at all now.

Oh gosh. I'm so sorry to hear about Jake. But I'm happy that he returned home to be with you at the end. and also that you heard dh and now understand it was a question about end of life care, not money, driving the desire to not put Jake down at the vet.

Kristin -- mom of Erin (11/5/02) and Leah (9/29/05)
#134 of 213 Old 12-17-2013, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerc View Post

Gaye:  When did I miss this relationship became take the boy home to meet the 'rents serious?  Wahooooooooo. I hope it goes well. (The road trip. I'm sure mr hottie, c, will go over well).

lol.gif Yeah, I kind of neglected to mention that, didn't I? Well, it was kind of a combination of things. The big one being that buying plane tickets (round-trip for me, one-way for DS) was going to cost almost $1000, and I can't really afford that. But, I can't really drive across the country by myself, either, especially with a small person in the car. Soooo...he offered to go with, I wasn't sure if he was serious, so I made it clear that I would love for him to come but didn't really expect him to take vacation to do it AND not spend the holidays with his family. Obviously, he chose to come with us. orngbiggrin.gif Sending my mom into a total tizzy, lol. It's so funny, I think everyone besides us thinks it's a huge deal that he's going home with me for Christmas, but it just feels natural. Kind of like almost everything with this relationship. He actually slipped the other night and made a comment about "when, I mean if we get married." Didn't freak me out a bit. And, you know, he does want kids, and I'm not getting any younger here...not that anything is going to happen in that direction until a) after my Ironman orngtongue.gif and b) things are official. Although I did also learn that his lease is up in April, and that makes me just a teeny bit nervous. redface.gif Not rushing into anything as far as that goes. At least not yet, anyway!

And I'm not in the least bit concerned about him meeting my family...as much as my stepdad apparently thinks that I don't need a boyfriend (per my mom, anyway! hellooooo...I've been divorced a long time here, I think I'm allowed!), I'm relatively certain that he's going to love C. Especially compared to my XH. orngtongue.gif

Ok...time for me to nap before getting my workout in...back for more later!

Gaye, single mama to Tyler (5/06) and Baxter the labradoodle
surf.gif bikenew.gif jog.gif Wait...I signed up to DO an Ironman??? I thought I was signing up to go SEE Ironman! nut.gif

#135 of 213 Old 12-17-2013, 07:56 AM - Thread Starter

Plady - I was so moved by your post about the grief involved in parenting. Yes. I feel that a lot lately (when I dont like ds but still love him so intensely). Thanks for articulating it for me.

JG - Im so sorry about Jake. I dont think either option is inhumane, as long as it feels like the right thing to do. We nursed our very old cat for months until she couldnt get up anymore and was peeing herself and couldnt eat. I hope he has a peaceful transition.

Hi to everyone else ....

mom to  dd1 (11) hearts.gif,  ds (9)bikenew.gif,  dd2 (6) dust.gif  , Daisy (4) dog2.gif
#136 of 213 Old 12-17-2013, 08:12 AM

Real - I do agree that it can be somewhat ridiculous for a group to sing something so obviously foreign to them and yet I also think that it's worthwhile to sample all that is out there in the musical world because you just never know which one thing might spark a lifelong interest in someone.  I'm not too conflicted for this past concert since A) I am the newest member and have no agenda, I just love to sing and B) we are not singing in any sort of educational capacity, this is a small town community choir.  I will be interested to see what the selections are for the spring concert.  Will it be a bunch of Easter music?  Or will it have an entirely unrelated theme?  Or what?  

JayGee - I'm glad you're both together on caring for Jake.  I'm sure he must feel so relieved to be in his home where he's loved and everything is familiar.  

Gaye - Yeah, this relationship certainly does have the sound of one settling into a nice foundation. :stillheart  Drive safely!  

Jo - I'm so sorry you had to find a sweater.  That must have been awful for you. :wink

RR: Heading off to box, need to get dressed!

NRR: C wrote a play for the Playwright's festival and last night she auditioned actors, adult actors.  I couldn't be there to see it but my friend said she held her own. :love  It was so cool to see her sitting at the big table with all the other directors, all adults, checking out the actors.

Ali G lost a tooth right before bed last night, her first.  That was pretty exciting.  Then she noticed the next one over was loose too.  Then 10 minutes later she yanked it out as well!  The tooth fairy paid out $.50 per tooth.  I hope Ali G didn't get hosed on the price.

#137 of 213 Old 12-17-2013, 10:44 AM

JayGee, :grouphug to you and to Jake the cat.

Plady, I had a funny conversation with my MIL recently about grieving imperfect children. I happily sent my oldest off to kindergarten without a tear, but lost it in the optometrist a month later when I was told she needed glasses (in my mind: her eyes were imperfect).It seems so silly but so *real*. Life is so real. Thanks for being real, dingoes.

Speaking of real (see how I did that?), I am grateful for your insight into cultural appropriation of doing "other people's music" poorly. I'm lucky to live in a part of the world that very consistently acknowledges the first nations whose traditional territory that we live/work/hold events on. We also have a small, but strong, multicultural association that works hard to focus on the sharing of culture where each group brings their own traditions to share. We're headed to a multicultural solstice celebration later this week (see, light!!) that involves a sharing of many traditions related to light and this time of year. My girls might bring their fiddles to share their Irish/Scottish heritage.

My sitter bailed so yesterday's run with my husband didn't happen. I have running gear under my desk, and a plan to escape the office early if at all possible.

My washer also needed to be bailed yesterday, and I have a repairman coming tomorrow to replace the water pump. In my desire to confirm the problem I bailed it and ran it again, so I have a bathtub full of sopping wet towels and a need to bail my machine again tonight.

#138 of 213 Old 12-17-2013, 11:02 AM

Plady, my heart swells imagining C taking auditions for her play. That kid is super cool! Like her mama, she has a very bright light that shines through. I just want to banana.gif dance thinking of it!

Jo, you had a sweater? winky.gif Congrats on all your writing!

JG, how is Jake?

Kerc, love the skiing you're getting done already. Is it me or is it early in the season?

Gaye, you make me smile all the time. smile.gif Just love how naturally and easily things are progressing.

RR: Ran 3 miles around the track this morning - no walking! And took off time from my 5K a month ago which was the last time I ran w/o walking. The best part was that it felt so natural, so good, like I've found my zone again. I am truly a track workout person. If I can't run w/a girlfriend, then I need to run as if I'm meditating and the track is the only place I can completely zone out. I am confident enough to look for future 5Ks and maybe this time, even travel, if there's a place to stay with family.

NRR: This morning, post-run (phew!) I had the first real convo w/dh, sans counselor, in a good 3 months. Difficult, but solid. That is progress, at least. Still thinking about my career options but I have so much stuff to sort that studying for the GRE is enough for now. My friend who moved away came into town over the weekend. Though we talked a bit, just being in the company of one who knows you and loves you makes such a difference.

blowkiss.gif to my Dingo friends!

Welcome.gif Kayleezoo

#139 of 213 Old 12-17-2013, 03:51 PM - Thread Starter

Ds' birthday today (9), then a week later christmas, then a week later DD2's birthday (1/3/14; 6). If I'd had more foresight I would have done things differently winky.gif

Apple pie in the oven for "Battle of the Books" tomorrow, for which kids are encouraged to bring some food item that was described in one of the books. DD1 chose apple pie. Um, yeah. Last time it was a loaf of sourdough

Lofty - so glad for every positive report. and im so sorry for the flakiness on the books. the past two weeks have been very hard

mom to  dd1 (11) hearts.gif,  ds (9)bikenew.gif,  dd2 (6) dust.gif  , Daisy (4) dog2.gif
#140 of 213 Old 12-17-2013, 06:59 PM

Sparkle, my ds2's birthday is tomorrow. 10. I totally understand - not flaky. I always feel so guilty about not getting the tree and decorations up till the weekend before Christmas, but, really, I just have to get the birthday behind me first. And doesn't that sound bad - like I just want to cross it off my list. greensad.gif So happy birthday to your ds! birthday.gif And tomorrow I'll be celebrating my kid's. Then I'll work on holiday stuff and sometime after 12th night, I'll start *thinking* about that GRE. winky.gif No sending w/o paypalling you first, though...

#141 of 213 Old 12-17-2013, 08:23 PM

It's a major Dinglet bday season! birthday.gif My dd turns 10 on Friday too. Our anniversary is a couple days after that.

And yes, Plady, I feel that grief, too. It runs back and forth between me and both kids, and some days, it is so hard. And I also feel like I have to negotiate and soften dh's experience with it (because he clearly doesn't think about it as much as he reacts to it). Some examples? Orthodontics, foreign language aptitude, athletic skills/interests. It seems so silly.

MelW, I liked what you did there. Running on themes this week, huh?

So I think we have the visas sorted. That is, I have mine, and we got the kids' at least applied for, possibly also approved, yesterday. I don't know how it ended, though, because I bailed after 5 hours to get home and help the kids with their work...and then I wasn't going to ask dh how it went when he got home. He's had a ridiculous week, in terms of work, and I like to encourage him to drop that baggage at the threshold. Regardless, I have a visa on one of my new passport pages (yay, even if they spelled my name wrong on it, I totally do not care), and I am sure they are better about grace with kids than with adults, and we are not driving to Oman.

The break in weather is allowing me to focus on school with the kids and still get outside in the afternoon without the weather being too hot for a nice run. Plan is to get out again with the kids this afternoon.

#142 of 213 Old 12-17-2013, 09:22 PM

Happy birthday to all the dinglets!!

I managed a run today, though not the one I thought I would fit in between work and school pick ups. After school I insisted the kids bike while I run on a warm (8C/46F)  day in the last minutes of daylight. We did 2 or 3 km, so short and sweet and enough to keep me sane. I'm at home with my youngest tomorrow and hoping that I can convince her to ride her smaller bike and hit the trails for a short run.

The washing machine is bailed and ready for the repairman in the morning. I should be able to do the repair myself, but don't have the time/energy to figure it out right now.

Geo, kerc and other STEM-women, have you seen this: http://www.npr.org/blogs/krulwich/2013/11/30/247842138/science-reporter-emily-graslie-reads-her-mail-and-it-s-not-so-nice

#143 of 213 Old 12-18-2013, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerc View Post

Just mental chewing here, but there is some benefit to having kids perform stuff outside of the "mainstream", no?  Like the whole idea that hey, there is an "other". In the academic world we see the term "inclusive excellence" bantered around -- the idea that everyone/culture/etc is equally important and should be/feel included. Conceptually I get it. In practice, I'm back at what you just said -- is this stuff just lip service or can we do it right? 

I would love love love to see a Native American opening to our holiday concert. Because the largest minority (still tiny) is Ojibwe  where my kids go to school.
This would be good--provided the Ojibwe would like to see that themselves and they oversee the performance. A lot of American Indian groups do not want their music performed in public for historical and religious reasons, among others. I don't know enough about Ojibwe practices to know whether that's the case there, but if such a thing were to happen, the tribe would need to be consulted and probably to direct that music. Without that, a number of questions are raised, including what the source is for the piece. Is it some melody "traditionally ascribed" (read: white person said so) to a tribe? Is it music that the tribe has said can be played for all audiences? Among many tribes, music has literal power to make things happen--like a rain dance, for example. Early [white] researchers ignored this and recorded pretty much whatever they wanted, but there are very strict rules around ethnographic research now for that very reason. So yes, we can do it right but it's not as simple as finding a transcription of an Ojibwe piece, teaching the kids to sing it and in all likelihood, using an accompaniment that was never part of the original song (i.e., piano or a Plains-Indian style drum despite the fact that the Ojibwe were not Plains Indians).

Not all cultures need quite that degree of sensitivity, of course. With African musics, one typically doesn't need permission to perform music, but doing it well requires a pretty good grasp of polyrhythms and enough knowledge to know which instruments are typically used. Our school choir did an "African-derived" song on our winter concert two weeks ago: Tuimbe. This video clip isn't our choir, but it illustrates my point: the text is in Swahili and English, and the accompaniment is piano, clave and what sounds a lot like a conga drum. The conga and clave are African-derived but they're Afro-Cuban instruments, not African. (The piece didn't specify percussion. Also, it is very much in a Western time signature, which any traditional African music is not.) Swahili is a language found most commonly in East African countries, but the clave pattern is derived from the music of West African countries where a bell pattern underlies the time cycle. East African music tends to use xylophones or xylophone-like patterns. In our performance, we used a gourd rattle, a bell (played on beats 2 and 4...which is syncopated but clearly not "African" in any real sense), and maracas--which are definitely Latin-derived and quite possibly indigenous to South American cultures. I may have been the only one there who knew this, but it also means the song itself and most performances of it will casually mix Western (piano, time signature, tonality) with Latin American and African instruments and little to no knowledge that they're doing it. Is that a problem? Not necessarily, but it's a very Western way of doing music from other cultures, and one that might allow us to be a little too easily satisfied that we've been "diverse."
Quote:
Originally Posted by MelW View Post

JI'm lucky to live in a part of the world that very consistently acknowledges the first nations whose traditional territory that we live/work/hold events on. We also have a small, but strong, multicultural association that works hard to focus on the sharing of culture where each group brings their own traditions to share. We're headed to a multicultural solstice celebration later this week (see, light!!) that involves a sharing of many traditions related to light and this time of year. My girls might bring their fiddles to share their Irish/Scottish heritage.
The bolded is, IMO the ideal situation because each culture group is represented well.

Sorry for the ethnomusicology lecture. I really need a class to teach.

MelW--sorry about the wash machine!

JayGee--that sounds hard. Hopefully it will be a peaceful passing.

Happy birthday to all our December Dinglets!

RR: took the girls to zoo lights tonight because temperatures were in the 50s and fabulous. Pretty much all of Denver thought so too. lol.gif DH had a meeting and was trying to argue for not going to zoo lights this year because he feels stressed, so we went without him and had a great time. :P

Lisa  caffix.gif and her wonderful girls: R (9) violin.gif &  J (3-3/4) coolshine.gif 
#144 of 213 Old 12-18-2013, 07:04 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Enjoying the ethomusicology talk.  Nothing to contribute, except that I think participation in some of these things is important, otherwise multiculteralism is reduced to the category of watching people with different color skin during a school assembly.  Maybe my perspective is skewed by living in 95% caucasian-ville that does 2 assemblies a year watching non-caucasians perform as many of these kids only exposure to the wider world.

So I joined the gym, along with RP and RPIT.  RPIT can't be made into a distance runner, and @#$%$ it's been cold.  Honestly, since PRIT has a parking pass, the gym at the U is pretty cheap.  We went last night.  Warm up, rowing machine, weights. As I was climbing into bed, I told DH to remind me I'd had fun because I knew I'd be hurting today.  So far, not so bad.

Happy b-days dinglets!

I find it interesting to read what makes us morn our kids imperfections.  For me, it's been the social skills that are so obviously lacking.  For my RP last night, it was her youngest's recent diagnosis of dyslexia.  His profile is remarkably similar to DD's, and she can't understand how I almost welcomed the diagnosis (getting DD the services she needed) instead of being freaked out as to the implications. 

#145 of 213 Old 12-18-2013, 07:06 AM

Hello!  Sorry I have been MIA, just haven't gotten the updates to my email and have thought about checking in when I didn't have time to do so and vice versa.  DH is away and life has been sooooo relaxing.  Last Wednesday we got into an argument and he cut off our discussion and never came back to it to work it out.  Days went by and I approached him gently each day waiting for him to be "ready" and he never has been.  So he left for Colorado Monday night and I'm chillin' like a villan!!  :) He called last night and asked to say hi to me once the boys had all chatted with him.  First words out of his mouth were complaints about the work day.  Then complaints about the level of noise on my end (hello, these are your three kids you know!).  So I quickly ended that call with "well I'll let you go then".  Not going to be brought down AGAIN from a thousand miles away.  geez!! 

RR: been doing the body weight work outs and no time for running.  I do miss it but feel good that I am getting something in this holiday season. 

NRR: class party tomorrow, then on to wrapping presents and making sure we have our ducks in a row.  I'm thrilled that our holiday celebrations are contained to 3 days instead of the usual 5. 

#146 of 213 Old 12-18-2013, 10:21 PM

RM, I'm glad the time to yourself has been relaxing. I hope you can get some resolution when he returns.

Lest you think I live in a totally culturally respectful part of the world, my daughter's school provides "world music" curriculum which involves playing westernized songs on marimbas and ukuleles and a variety of random African-style percussion instruments. This year involves a new teacher and significantly less Justin Bieber, so I'm happy to see the improvement.

RR- Two days in a row of running with kid(s) biking. Today was a much slower 3.5km with the youngest, except for one mad sprint down an icy street that she was having trouble slowing down on. My bootcamp trainer drove by at the maximum speed moment, making me look much faster and more ambitious than the rest of the "run" where I often had to push her and/or walk.

NRR- Spamming with a super cute Christmas video of my kids. It gives a sense of my oldest's serious intent and the youngest's energy, and most impressively how much they love each other and (sometimes) get along: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uBgPixVQ8T8 (I'll probably come back and delete the link in a couple of days)

#147 of 213 Old 12-19-2013, 03:47 AM

Melw- Adorable!!!!!
#148 of 213 Old 12-19-2013, 05:31 AM

MelW - that was absolutely adorable! They sing very well.

re: ethnomusicology disicussion - Tuesday was the "2nd grade musical" featuring different countries. Much of what Real spoke about was evident. And they mispelled Israel on the banner rolleyes.gif. DD2 did a nice hula to "Melekeliki Maka" though lol.gif!

RM - I hope DH has some time to ponder how difficult he's being while he's away and can discuss things reasonably when he returns hug.gif.

kids imperfections - mourning many things here too. Love them dearly though smile.gif.

Jake is still hanging on, although I have no idea how since all he's done is drink water for a week now.

Lots of baking today, and an afternoon in the library. I really need to get back to a daily workout schedule of some kind. My mood and body are suffering.

#149 of 213 Old 12-20-2013, 07:22 AM

MelW - They are super cute.  And thank you for the link to the link to Brain Scoop.  I passed it on to C and she's been watching it voraciously (such a welcome change from Peeta Melark pinterest pins and My Little Pony vids!!!)

JayGee - Thinking of you and hoping that you're able to feel okay about Jake.

RM - Glad you're enjoying some down time and hope that dh returns feeling ready to be a good partner.

Real - I just love your posts!  You do need a class though, you've got so much knowledge and you are so good at making clear concise connections.  I suppose you've thought about online classes?

Geo - How's the gym going?

Happy current and belated birthdays to our DInglets!  Hope the celebrations all went as hoped.  Jo, birthday steak sounds awesome!

I'm celebrating our first snow delay (and so no school for A) by soaking my weirdly swollen and incredibly sore toe in epsom salts while I catch up here and sip coffee with eggnog that C made last night.  I do not know why my toe is all of a sudden feeling like it wants to burst at the seams but I'm suspecting my 2 week old pedicure.  Is that unfair?  

I'm a little conflicted, the kids would probably love to get up to play in the snow, but they could really use the extra sleep.  Am I a horrible mom for not waking them up in case it gets rained away really soon?  Or can I wait until it's light out at least?

RR: Boxed, last class until 1/2.  But I am pretty sure my dad got me a heavy bag for Christmas and I think dh got me new gloves so I've slowly been clearing out space in the house to make a little workout area.  I also got the kids Just Dance 2014 so once that's open I have a feeling we'll be grooving out a lot.  Thank goodness too, I've been sugar bingeing like never before.  All year I've had these fancy dresses I needed to fit into out on my calendar every 4-6 months which has helped me keep a handle on my diet.  But right now I don't have anything out there on the schedule so between that and all the treats everywhere? - whoa mama!

#150 of 213 Old 12-20-2013, 08:08 AM

Taking Jake to the vet for the last time. DH agreed it is best. It am sure the fact that he peed and pooped in DDs riding boots overnight helped him come to this decision. RIP little Jake candle.gif.

Tags
Fitness

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page