A New Year of Dedicated Home Yoga Practice: 2014 - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 101 Old 01-27-2014, 10:28 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)

Started exploring a new Shiva Rea find from the library--though not actually new, 2009.  I love it.  "Daily Energy Vinyasa Flow Yoga".  Like other videos of hers, they tend to be better for yoginis with some experience.  Not so much that the poses are inherently difficult, but I find that her sequences require the student to know their limitations and make the proper adjustments, especially if you are prone to pushing yourself like I am.  With that in mind, I am a big fan of her cycling back to energy flows from the earth to heart and radiating out.  I find myself close to tears in several of her routines in this and her Trance Dance routines, another video of hers I highly recommend.  

This is the first video I have done in ages, and it feels marvelous.  I had a few mental breakthroughs as well, and that's what I love about yoga and movement.  A one-time yoga instructor said that you haven't truly experienced yoga until you cried and farted.  Love it.

"Let me see you stripped down to the bone. Let me hear you speaking just for me."
#62 of 101 Old 01-29-2014, 12:44 PM - Thread Starter

Now I'm off to purchase some "public" yoga pants for leading my girl scout troop in some animal yoga.  My jeans are a size too small and my "private" yoga pants are a bit too, um, not private :Sheepish.  They stay up, so I haven't felt the need to replace them.

And shave my legs, too.  I like knee-length pants and I don't want to frighten the more properly groomed families out there!

RebeloveMa likes this.

"Let me see you stripped down to the bone. Let me hear you speaking just for me."
#63 of 101 Old 01-30-2014, 03:06 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Update on my "fear" practice (that really sounds awful!)  - I have to say, it has been difficult for me to actually think about fear while I am in the midst of practicing, moving. And I think that is a profound thing in and of itself! But I have been thinking about fear a bit, usually right before or right after visiting my mat. MsBe, the book you bring up matches well with what I have been thinking.

One, it is alarming to recognize how many decisions I make based in fear. I'm sure the numbers aren't exact, but I would say somewhere upwards of 85% of my decisions are somehow related to fear. This includes fear of being judged, fear of failing, and fear of wasting time. Just those three fears can take up an embarrassing amount of head/soul space!

Two, the quickest and most powerful way for me to switch the fear mindset when I recognize it is to devote my activity to love and gratitude. It doesn't work (for me) to just try to reason my way out of the fear. Reason helps me identify it and want to change it, but only through changing my intention do I alleviate the actually feeling of fear. Its kind of amazing! Saying, "I do this out of love" can put a complete stop to whatever negative spin my head was in. And you can pretty much do anything out of love, especially if you include love of yourself (yoga, cleaning, eating or not eating, sleeping, etc). For example, if I am distracted from the task at hand because I am worried that I am not doing the right thing (in other words, I am afraid that I am wasting my time) I think, "I do this from a place of love" and then the task seems as important as anything I could ever be doing. It puts me in the moment. Or, if I am laying in bed with negative thoughts welling up I think, "I love myself and it is good for me to rest peacefully. It is good for my daughter if I am rested." and, usually, it helps relieve the anxieties so that I can get to sleep. When I am worried about being judged I remember to love myself and appreciate who I am. I mean, love can help so many aspects of one's life, even those that aren't connected to fear. All in all, I have really gained great insight from thinking about fear. But now I need to cultivate the love and gratitude that transforms fear. So this will be the focus of my practice for the next week! :stillheart

Its my super DH superhero.gif, my lovely DD jog.gif(11/15/11), ferocious Future Cat, and myself read.gif

familybed1.gif

#64 of 101 Old 02-05-2014, 10:09 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
I'm out of town for work. I miss the family of course, but upside is 2 mornings free for ygpa. But I have a cold. greensad.gif Anyone have recommendations for decongestant poses? Does such a thing exist - I hope it does!

Mother of two living in UK. Daughter (2007) born in USA, son (2010) born here. I'm pro natural birth, midwife care, breastfeeding, co-sleeping, baby wearing and a keen advocate of cloth diapering. I'm a full time working research scientist (physical sciences) and I'm pro-vaccine.

#65 of 101 Old 02-12-2014, 09:46 AM - Thread Starter

:dizzy

I fell off the wagon so hard, I think I lost consciousness.  First yoga in, what?  2 weeks?  

I desperately need to start putting intention back into my day.  I feel so scattered.  This computer doesn't help, but it just exacerbates what is already there.  I'd love to just turn it off, but we homeschool and having it on is good for our day in many ways.  Just...ignore...

Gotta start somewhere.  Where would you start?

#66 of 101 Old 02-14-2014, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yammas View Post

Hi Im slightly new to yoga I downloaded an app on my phone but havent got a consistent practice going just yet I have a couple youtube channels im subscribed to but again have yet to try them I like what a previous poster s aid about just going with what your body wants to do rather than following a video or book.

My questions are what mats do you use or would recommend? and how do you go about adding new poses to your practice do you do them seperately after your sun salutations or try to put them into a routine straight away?

Yammas- to answer your question about mats, it mostly depends on the comfort for you.  I practice hot vinyasa yoga so I needed to find a mat that was sticky because you sweat a lot during class. (Crow pose was impossible for me to do on my old mat).  I currently use the monster yoga mat- http://www.beachbody.com/product/fitness_gear/yoga_monster_mat.do. Its comfy and I don't slip while in my practice. I would add new poses right into your routine.  I also practice new poses on my own separately as well.  

I take hot yoga classes at a studio near me, but I would love to start doing more yoga on my own time. If anyone has recommendations for online vinyasa classes I would appreciate it :) 

Thanks!

Yammas likes this.
#67 of 101 Old 02-17-2014, 04:44 AM

Thanks for the recommendation smile.gif I bought a cheap one from us pro I think? Its got a slight texture but I still find my hands slipping they get quite sweaty during normal practise so I think I might have to keep a towel on hand unless someone can suggest another way to keep hands dry?

I did my first yoga class yesterday it felt great plus I got crow for the first time!!!! I was too proud of myself progress can happpen when least expected orngbiggrin.gif

I really wanted to try hot vinyasa but I think I wouldve died the room wasnt even that warm and I was sweating buckets.

@Sweetsilver sun salutations are my go to for a quick simple practise when Ive been out of the loop for a while.

Hope you ladies are well x
#68 of 101 Old 02-18-2014, 03:10 PM

I am so glad that my mat doesn't judge me! :D Gotta get back to it!

Its my super DH superhero.gif, my lovely DD jog.gif(11/15/11), ferocious Future Cat, and myself read.gif

familybed1.gif

#69 of 101 Old 03-18-2014, 05:15 AM

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)

Hello All!

I can't believe I haven't checked in for so long!  My practice sputtered through February. Ugh, February.   I am running a 5K with my in-laws in April, and my DH and I joined the Y so we could start running a couple of times a week.  And I started taking a ballet class.  I always wanted to take ballet but never had the opportunity before now.  So, it's taken a while to adjust but the last couple of weeks have begun to look like a daily practice again.  It feels great to return after a hiatus.  

How goes it for you SweetSilver?

RebeloveMa- I never got a chance to respond to your last post about fear; I loved it!    I can't read what you said about reason and fear enough times,; I spend way too much time worrying when I need to just relax into the love in this moment.  Thank you for sharing that.     

Yammas-  I adore crow.  I hadn't done it in ages either and then we did it in a class I am taking about two weeks ago.  It feels amazing when you are balanced up there. :)

#70 of 101 Old 03-18-2014, 08:37 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsBe View Post

How goes it for you SweetSilver?

My posting is about as fickle as my yoga practice.  Largely, I keep forgetting!  I'm so busy, then I'm out the door.... it's been a hard time, but I get in a sun salutation here and there.  I'm so frickin' tired!

#71 of 101 Old 03-22-2014, 09:53 AM

I twisted my ankle in feb and have been off yoga since. greensad.gif might be about ready to start again. Any advice for ankle strengthening poses?

Mother of two living in UK. Daughter (2007) born in USA, son (2010) born here. I'm pro natural birth, midwife care, breastfeeding, co-sleeping, baby wearing and a keen advocate of cloth diapering. I'm a full time working research scientist (physical sciences) and I'm pro-vaccine.

#72 of 101 Old 03-22-2014, 10:03 AM - Thread Starter

I am thinking tree pose?  Modified on the bad side--just put your foot just above the ankle.  You don't want to work the ankle harder by making the balance  trickier.  I would avoid or modify poses that might put pressure on the ankle--even poses where you squat might put pressure there.  I went back into yoga after a knee injury, and I had to do a lot of my own modifying as I went.

Anyway, I will try to think of more.  I even think some time in mountain pose would be a great place to start and feel out the limits of your ankle.  Changing the weight distribution, just feeling around.  And most definitely ending the session with legs up a wall for a time, especially if you still have some swelling.

I am a great believer in the "walking asana".  Walking seems to set everything back to normal.  Though, I have a tendency when injured to overestimate my abilities, and have found myself too far from home, relatively, and facing a painful walk back. Up and down the block, or even around the house (because I remember after my cesarean being stranded just 6 houses away!)  Long enough to have as natural a stride as possible, but not so far that the commitment is too great.  

Good luck!  Bummer about ankles.  I sprained my ankle badly about 20 years ago, and I still wasn't 100% 3 years later, though I only noticed it after going on some very long walks.

#73 of 101 Old 03-23-2014, 12:25 AM

Thanks. I have been walking (carefully), but not with a yoga mindset. And some exploration of mountain/tree does sound like a good idea. smile.gif

#74 of 101 Old 03-31-2014, 09:48 AM - Thread Starter

I have been a lazy girl.  

Today I did my 10 sun salutations rounds after not doing *any* yoga for weeks.  Nt even a measly 2-salutation round like before.   have been walking more, which is always a good asana for me, but no mat practice, nothing.   

I have got to whip myself back into practice.  I am now 15 pounds up, and no twisted ankle as an excuse.  

#75 of 101 Old 04-02-2014, 08:26 AM

prosciencemum-  Hope that ankle is healing nicely.  Sorry I don't have any strengthening advice for you, but I'd like to hear if you find something that feels great and really seems to help. 

SweetSilver-  Yay for your 10 rounds!  May this be the beginning of your triumphant return to the mat :)  It is great that your walking meditations have picked up.  I am currently visiting my sister in Virginia and it is truly spring here.  I have been out walking or running everyday, or just bringing my mat out and doing some slow stretches in the sun.  It feels so incredible after what was beginning to feel like like an interminable winter.  Tomorrow I head back North and I'm hoping and praying for just a little less snow cover when we get there...

I'm still a little plumper than I'd like to be too, but I figure it's just the time of year.  Once the days are above freezing, the ground thaws, and I can spend my time out in the garden instead of sipping cocoa by the wood stove, I figure I'm bound to drop a few pounds.  

My mat practice has been somewhat spotty, but much better than February now that I am tracking it again.  I'm still missing two or three days some weeks but most days I am managing at least 10 minutes at some point.  I think I mentioned before that I am trying to train for a 5K later this month and that makes it difficult to carve out significant time for yoga.  My asana work is also suffering a bit from my renewed efforts at sitting meditation, but things on that front are at least moving forward... slowly, slowly.  I am up to about 20 minutes most days, although sometimes that is one 20 minute session and sometimes that is 10 in the am and 10 in the pm.  My goal for this season is to establish a 30-40 minute/day sitting practice, preferably 20-30 in the am and another short session before bed.  Spring has always been my least favorite season.  The weather is so inconsistent and unreliable, and everything is mud and slush and ice, and yet it is so busy.  There is so much to be done before summer comes.  I am already starting to feel overwhelmed.   Blech.  But I making an effort to embrace it this year instead of letting it get me down.   

Rebelove, Jaxy, and any others who are MIA-  How are you?  Where are you in your practice?  I miss you & hope to hear from you soon.  :)

#76 of 101 Old 04-02-2014, 09:47 AM

My ankle is improving slowly, and I'm aiming to go back to my classes following our 2 week Easter break. Getting a real break during that period which I'm really looking forward to. smile.gif

#77 of 101 Old 04-02-2014, 02:44 PM - Thread Starter

Going to post every day I do a routine.  Don't hear from me, I didn't do it.  Must get my ass in gear.  For the record, did 10 + my core work this morning.  Hope I don't bore you with the repeptition.  Hope I *do* bore you with repetition because that means I'm doing it!

#78 of 101 Old 04-03-2014, 06:53 PM - Thread Starter

Nearly forgot to check in.  Yup, did my routine this morning.  I felt like I was my own mother reminding me to do my homework.  The joy was not apparent, but it got done.  :)  Sometimes dedication feels nothing like bliss.  Need to remind myself of that from time to time.  Well, more often than that!  That's part of the problem!

#79 of 101 Old 04-05-2014, 04:30 PM - Thread Starter

:Peace One more session.

Instead of the core work on the floor, I did udyana banda, which I highly recommend as an alternative to or addition to core work.  I always take an extra breath or 2 or 3 in between repetitions.  I'm amazed that doing 3 rounds of this seems to affect my posture better than more difficult core work, and without the soreness.

Followed that with 10 sun salutations, adding some good hip strengtheners (half moon pose, standing splits, flying warrior) as well as warrior 1 and 2.  Sample:

Forward bend

step back, knee on floor to crescent pose

plank pose

push up pose to floor

low cobra

plank

down dog

warrior 1

standing split

mountain

repeat on other side

next round, change out warrior 1 for warrior 2, half moon pose for standing split

at some point, I drop the step-back to crescent and just jump back.

keep changing it up with every round until the last (10 salutations, 5 rounds, for me) you move into pigeon pose on each side, then done.

I threw in a twist in there somewhere and cobbler pose where it made sense, at the end I like to move into prayer pose before pushing into down dog.  Just feel what your body needs.  If it's a strong routine, pepper it and finish with more supple poses.

Nope, no savasna.

ETA: I just read the instructions on the link I posted.  I wanted to emphasize that you *release the lock and relax your abdominals before you inhale*.  Also, my teacher did this crazy thing where she held the lock, then started undulating the belly up and down.  It's weird and jiggly, and I recommend doing it without an audience at first :p

prosciencemum likes this.

#80 of 101 Old 04-07-2014, 12:11 PM - Thread Starter

:namaste

#81 of 101 Old 04-09-2014, 08:43 PM

SweetSilver-  I am enjoying your "post-everyday-I-do-it".  Not bored yet!  :wink

I had a nice little run going myself but missed today.  I find it so hard to motivate when AF visits.  I went to the Y today and swam with DS and then came home and got in the garden for a bit, but then I was so exhausted I took a nearly 3 hour nap.  Dedication to practice begins anew tomorrow.  

prosciencemum likes this.
#82 of 101 Old 04-10-2014, 02:13 PM

Hey y'all! I am glad to finally be back here. My practice was going pretty strong there for a while, especially in March. I was doing relaxing stuff almost every night, a couple moon salutations and spine twists. Then about once a week I was doing a more hardcore (hardcore for me) vinyasa flow. I found a couple of 50-60 minute routines on the internet. They were awesome and really kicking my butt!

Then, a couple of weeks ago, my dd caught something. I fell away from yoga a bit, but tried to keep up with my interval training at the gym. I was doing well, not getting sick myself, then I went for a run and BLAM... fever.gif

I am still feeling pretty bad, but I'm on the up and up. In fact, I think tonight I will try to do a couple of mellow poses to ease back into a practice.

I am thankful to come here and share the ups and down of a not-so-regular yoga practice.

@prosciencemum- I hope your ankle is feeling better!

@SweetSilver - I love your posts! Thank you!

@MsBe - I appreciate you calling the MIAs out!

EVERYONE: Blessed Be and Happy Spring! flower.gif 

familybed1.gif

#83 of 101 Old 04-10-2014, 06:49 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RebeloveMa View Post

I found a couple of 50-60 minute routines on the internet. They were awesome and really kicking my butt!

Something you are able to link us to?

#84 of 101 Old 04-15-2014, 06:19 AM

Ugh.  I have been terribly absent from my practice lately.  I am really stressed out about this 5K on Saturday, probably would be really helpful to spend some time cooling out with meditation, but I am having a hard time just doing it.  

#85 of 101 Old 04-15-2014, 10:16 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for checking back in with us, MsBe.  It looks to be a hard time all around for us.

As for me, when you didn't hear from me, I wasn't doing yoga!  Today I did my first 5 rounds.  Really had to dedicate myself, but then when we are feeling energetic it seems easy to skip that part.  When we are at our deepest low is when the dedication flows.  That is the "gift".  When you need it the most is when you are most open to receiving it.

What exactly does it mean to be dedicated?  I know I'm stepping into a more spiritual territory when I've purposely placed this thread in Fitness, but it is hard to separate.  Is "dedication" different from "inspiration"?  Maybe contemplating the nature of the two will bring you to a place where you find the motivation to pull out your mat and offer yourself 10 minutes of yoga.  I know it works for me.

ETA:  What are you dedicating your practice to?  Yourself.  You are the giver and the recipient.  Cosmic.

prosciencemum and MsBe like this.

#86 of 101 Old 04-16-2014, 04:18 AM

Thanks for the wise words SweetSilver.  

I am leaving for Pennsylvania today, for this weekend's race and Easter with in-laws.  I am bringing my mat and my meditation pillow.  With DS occupied by grandparents and cousins and no chores to do I should have plenty of time and space to get in some practice over the next few days.  

#87 of 101 Old 04-16-2014, 08:50 PM

Oh, yes! Here are the links for the two Vinyasa flows that I found. Honestly, there are a few things I can't do in both of these videos. I can not keep up with all of the down dog-chaturanga-up dog-down dog parts. I eventually just stay in the first down dog and try to catch my breath. Nonetheless, I enjoy them and like to have a goal to work toward. I haven't done either since I got sick, but I look forward to trying one again, maybe next week.

Link 1: 50 min. yoga flow

Link 2: 60 min. Vinyasa flow for shoulders and low back

OK, I am gonna do a little practice and meditation for the first time in a while! Good night!

familybed1.gif

#88 of 101 Old 04-17-2014, 08:20 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)

It's great to see some new posts! We are all in such different places in our lives. Some of you have very tiny children, while mine are older, and I'm sure we're all different ages. And yet, here we all are, learning to drink in the wonderful gift of yoga!

My scale quit working a few weeks ago, and slacker that I am, I've decided to take that as a sign from the Universe that I'm supposed to just forget about weight and focus on moving into a deeper spiritual connection -- but I understand this isn't really the place to go into too much depth about that.

I've changed my routine a bit. I've decided that it's really important to me do the full course of the Five Tibetan Rites as part of my daily yoga practice. Now, on the four days when I work more or less full-time, I generally do 30 minutes of yoga on my morning break and 30 minutes of hula hooping to music on my afternoon break. That 30 minutes of yoga includes the Five Tibetan Rites, 12 or more sequences of sun salutations, and some side-to-side twisting. 

And on the three days when I work part-time or not at all, I do an hour or more of yoga. This yoga always includes the Five Tibetan Rites and generally also one of the two yoga videos I mentioned earlier. I usually do the Kundalini video twice a week and the Hatha video once a week. When I do the Hatha video, as it's a little shorter than the Kundalini video, I precede it with some sun salutations and side-to-side twists so that I'll still be getting an hour of exercise.

I'm also endeavoring to spend around 30 or so minutes meditating in savasana, at least a few times a week, at the end of my working day. I do also consider my hula hooping to be somewhat meditative, and on the days when I'm not hula hooping, I do spend at least 10 or more minutes meditating in savasana at the end of my yoga videos. I'm finding that the deeper I go with my yoga, the easier and easier it's getting to relax into that meditative state.

One thing that really excites me is that I'm now able to completely follow some instructions that I'd learned on Wikipedia for doing the fifth Tibetan Rite. When I'd first started doing the Rites a couple of years ago, I'd read there that I should space my hands and feet around two feet apart -- but when I tried it back then, as I went up into the part that's like a combination of the plank and cobra, I felt a horrible wrench in my belly and had to take a break from that rite for a few days until it stopped hurting. Then when I resumed it, I just did it the way that felt natural, with hands and feet much closer together.

Recently, I decided to gingerly try spacing my hands and feel a little further and further apart each day, and soon discovered that I could fully follow the Wikipedia instructions without any pain. It's so exciting to see how my core has gotten stronger, as well as how the loss of so much weight has helped me and made me more capable!

Susan -- married unschoolin' WAHMomma to two lovely girls (born 2000 and 2005).
#89 of 101 Old 04-22-2014, 11:22 AM

Just a quick check in, only got a minute but-  

Quote:
Originally Posted by mammal_mama View Post

My scale quit working a few weeks ago, and slacker that I am, I've decided to take that as a sign from the Universe that I'm supposed to just forget about weight and focus on moving into a deeper spiritual connection -- but I understand this isn't really the place to go into too much depth about that.

I am really dealing with this weight thing right now.  I am about 5 lbs heavier now than when I delivered DS, but I've never felt stronger, better, healthier than I do now. shrug.gif  Why is this not the place to explore these issues?  I am working on letting go of weight as a measure of fitness.  It seems irrelevant to my practice, which is not about weight loss at all but all about more spiritual issues:  letting go, finding a peaceful place, cherishing myself...  

Thanks for the reminder to look into the Five Tibetan Rites.

I did not do as much practice or meditation as I would've liked while I was away, but I did do a little every-other-day-ish...  Did 10 minutes meditation this first am home.  And feeling really optimistic about how my practice might grow in the coming months. :D Bring on the Spring!

#90 of 101 Old 05-01-2014, 02:48 PM

First class after my twisted ankle tonight. Was lovely. Hip openers, outstretched puppy and downward dog variations. smile.gif

Not working out how to start a daily practice yet, but at least I'm back at weekly classes. smile.gif

Tags
Fitness

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page