A New Year of Dedicated Home Yoga Practice: 2014 - Page 4 - Mothering Forums
Welcome, coyotemist. You last visited: Yesterday at 04:18 PM Private Messages: Unread 0, Total 37.

Forum Jump: 
#91 of 104 Old 05-01-2014, 04:11 PM - Thread Starter
SweetSilver

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by prosciencemum View Post

First class after my twisted ankle tonight. Was lovely. Hip openers, outstretched puppy and downward dog variations. smile.gif

Not working out how to start a daily practice yet, but at least I'm back at weekly classes. smile.gif

:joyYou forget how sweet it is until you can't have it.  Good to hear you are back in the swing of things!  I am transitioning to a schedule that makes one day really busy, but gives me an extra day to stay at home.  Enjoying it.

"Let me see you stripped down to the bone. Let me hear you speaking just for me."
SweetSilver is online now Report Post  
#92 of 104 Old 05-09-2014, 01:43 PM
Yammas

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Glad to see everyone is doing ok congrats in getting back into class the one one that I found has been cancelled greensad.gif so im back to home practice for now but its just not the same I find my mind wonders and I am more concerned over whether or not im doing the poses properly than the practise itself iykwim?
Yammas is offline Report Post  
#93 of 104 Old 05-10-2014, 05:34 AM
MsBe

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)

Argh, all this travel has wreaked havoc on my already struggling practice.   Changes in sleeping patterns is especially disruptive for me and I haven't slept well since the trip before the last one.  I feel a little overwhelmed by all the chores awaiting me each day (spring is a terrible time to be away from the farm)  and am having a really hard time carving out the time- and energy!- for focusing on self-care.  Remind me again how it's good for me and will bring new energy and focus to the other things I have to do?  I did spend some pretty big blocks of time meditating on these eight hour train rides.  But since I've been home (Tuesday night) I have only done two 15 minute practices.  I am going to try to really recommit myself tomorrow to 20 minutes twice a day with a focus on just making it through the next week.  :p  

Yammas-  I agree that the mind wandering is much worse at home than in class.  But I find that the slower pace that I can set for myself gives me more time to really settle in and focus on alignment in the poses in a way that is not always possible in a class.  Perhaps you can shift your focus from worry over whether your posture is "right" to observing how your body feels as you make small adjustments in each posture without too much judgement.  

Sweetsilver-  I like the schedule change!  I am a wicked homebody but my son is already the type who wants to be going somewhere everyday, and my husband worries incessantly that since he's not in daycare or preschool he may be missing out on important socialization.  I think it's a bunch of hooey, but still agreed to take him to three classes a week: gymnastics, music, and swimming.  It's a real pain because two of the classes are a 45 minute drive each way and it eats up such a huge portion of my mornings (my most energetic and productive time).  I am eagerly anticipating the cessation of his music classes at the end of this month and another day home myself.  

prosciencemum-  Glad your ankle is healed up!  Your class sounds yummy.  

RebeloveMa-  Everyone recovered over there?  DS and I have both really struggled with allergies this spring.  I've been neti-ing pretty regularly but the congestion still makes it difficult to practice.  I try to slip into the Ujjayi breath and next thing I am coughing and sputtering and definitely not feeling in the flow.  It's tough because I am pretty dependent on the sound of my breath to anchor me in my practice.  When it is scattered, I am scattered.  Thanks for sharing the great links.  I looked one over briefly but haven't had a chance (or made a chance) to try them out yet.

MsBe is online now Report Post  
#94 of 104 Old 05-10-2014, 10:08 AM
prosciencemum

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Made it to class second week in a row. In often tired and just fancy stating home on the sofa, but feel so much better if I can make myself go.

This week we did some half sun salutations, and a bunch of bridge variations. Was great.

Mother of two living in UK. Daughter (2007) born in USA, son (2010) born here. I'm pro natural birth, midwife care, breastfeeding, co-sleeping, baby wearing and a keen advocate of cloth diapering. I'm a full time working research scientist (physical sciences) and I'm pro-vaccine.

prosciencemum is offline Report Post  
#95 of 104 Old 07-03-2014, 10:42 AM - Thread Starter
SweetSilver

Mid-year.

How is everybody doing?

I can't say I'm doing all that well in the yoga department. Recently I've been very good about doing a few core exercises in the morning. I've been sick these last 3 days and haven't done anything. I've resigned myself to the fact that a true yoga routine will not happen in the morning. There is a sense of freedom in that. It feels natural to do 5 minutes of corework. It challenges me to find space in my day for some time. I love the afternoon. I've been mindful to block out my week for walks and yoga. This week I've been blasted with a really bad cold, but otherwise I've stuck to it. Yes, I need to schedule in time for exercise!

The basement is almost finished. The stuff stored down there has "exploded" into the upstairs and I roll my yoga mat out in the bedroom and don't even have time to spread my arms out. So discouraging! But since we've decided to not seal the basement floor, we can start moving some things down. Amazing how much that affects your state of mind.

Summer time means that more of my time to myself takes me outdoors for walks and work rather than long yoga routines, and that's OK. I just need to 1. create a place holder each day for when winter sends us indoors and 2. bring my yoga state of mind to my walks, which is easy to do for me in general (though still challenging with all the mental chatter!)

6 months and I'm no closer to reestablishing my daily routines, but I'm no further away, either. That is still an improvement over 2 years ago when I didn't do anything at all.

Habits are hard to break and hard to make. I need to be content with little victories.

Now to kick this cold. Bleah!!! I feel like crap in a way I haven't for several years! I'm feeling a little inspired to go and sit on my mat and see what feels good in this state. Even a moment of mindfulness would be helpful. A twist or two. Cobbler's pose. Savasana for a change.....

"Let me see you stripped down to the bone. Let me hear you speaking just for me."
#96 of 104 Old 07-20-2014, 08:38 PM
MsBe

@SweetSilver Ahh, clutter is such a distractor, and how lovely this summer has been for being outside. Hope your cold has cleared. Summer colds are a bummer.

AFM I've been doing lots of running and not as much yoga as I'd like. But a little bit every day I run (~3x/wk) and I've started taking a Sunday class in addition to the Saturday one, so actually not too bad, at least a little bit at least 5x/wk. Still want to work in more silent meditation. We did a reverse triangle in my new Sunday class (I had totally forgotten that pose even existed!) and did some work with the dolphin in preparation for the headstand (not part of my regular practice but should it be? What are the thoughts out there about the headstand?). I wish I could make my home practice more exciting, i.e. work in some poses I don't always do, but how?
#97 of 104 Old 07-21-2014, 08:42 AM - Thread Starter
SweetSilver

I really should add a modified headstand pose to my "routine", if I can find the d@mn walls!

Thoughts on headstand, from a yogini's perspective, not an experts..... There is something amazing about headstands. The strengthening is amazing. I've never reached any sense of ease to benefit from any purported restorative properties, but I loved doing headstand between chairs so the the head and shoulders are supported, body up against the wall. I remember it feeling lovely, but I only did that in class with supervision.

But, alas, no walls, period arrived (just in time for camping.... can I grumble here? Trying to to complain where the girls can hear!) I think my life will resume when we get back :/

#98 of 104 Old 07-28-2014, 09:53 AM - Thread Starter
SweetSilver

Did a sweet 30 minutes with dd9, watching Shiva Rea's Yoga Trance Dance. We both really love that video. She likes the dance, I like the luscious spine movements incorporated into all the poses. "Seprentine cobra", undulating downward dog. Then there are the twisting kriyas and Shiva Rea's awesome dialogue. I always get choked up on this one part that transitions to slience, but this time, after not watching it for so long, I choked up in a few places. I never actually cry, but came close to tears several times. Don't ask me why. But it's a great release.

#99 of 104 Old 08-25-2014, 07:11 AM
MsBe

Tore my calf a couple of weeks ago and had to stop running. Felt pretty depressed about it and thought I should add in more yoga but couldn't motivate myself for any last week. Still can't run but want to keep up with my general fitness and hope that I am healed enough for my race on Sunday so I am determined to do some yoga every day this week.

The Shiva Rea video sounds fascinating. I added it to my Amazon wish list, maybe I'll pick it up in the next couple of months.
#100 of 104 Old 09-02-2014, 12:52 PM - Thread Starter
SweetSilver

Managed a 30 minute routine due to the fact that I put on an old Depeche Mode CD and grooved my way through my poses. Awesome. I love a little back beat with my yoga. Love the heart-pounding music some instructors play during classes. Having that in my own way really helped deepen and lengthen my poses, and prevented a lot of rigidity. Listening to "People Are People" puts a little wag in my downward dog! A slower song wrapped up the routine, then it was time to crank it up and dance my way through "Master And Servant". So energizing and fun and Wow! An entire half hour passed by and I didn't have a video playing. I think I've stumbled onto something.

I've been on a retro nostalgia kick this last week, digging deep into my personal archives for the music that moved me the most when I was growing up, and Depeche Mode were the epicenter of that for me from 1985 onward. So much fun!

#101 of 104 Old 09-17-2014, 09:47 AM - Thread Starter
SweetSilver

Happy to say that I'm back in the groove, and more than ever. The music has really helped stretch out the routines to half an hour, give or take a few minutes. It's interesting to explore the routine with different music as it will often suggest to my a new pose or kriya.

Late summer always gives me energy to strike out on walks, and I've been prioritizing those, even on days where I've done some intense yoga. I've always said "I've done my yoga, I'll skip the walk" but not now. I have a new, very heavy job cleaning a shop for a friend's business on Sundays. It is very physical work, and I decided that I needed to up my activity on other days so I wasn't so wiped out on Monday. The last 5 pounds have melted off, though I think the easy part is over!

The old music has flooded my psyche with many of the emotions and memories of my teen self, the one I cast aside with all the craziness but part of her stays with me now. Hard to explain. I guess on my spiritual journeys in my twenties I turned my back on the attachment and materialism of that era, and never looked back. Now I've looked back and see that not all of me had been thrown into the "fire". So now it's time to embrace that girl and envelope those emotions in the wisdom of my years.

Had a shock listening to one of my all-time favorite albums, the Cure's Boys Don't Cry from 1980 (I came upon it in 1985). Hadn't listened to it in 25 years, and I get to these songs that had me in tears of confusion and lonlieness after my first romantic heartbreak. I didn't cry, but it was like a punch in the gut. Not any feelings of the old boyfriend (long since past and quite thoroughly) but the lingering emptiness and helplessness. It made me angry that my favorite music was so spoiled and I intend on taking that back.

Depeche Mode's Black Celebration is similarly tied up in so much emotion, but those songs conjure up feelings of happiness and contentment both with myself ("Heeeere on my own/ Aaaaaall on my own/ How good it feels to be alone tonight") and the better parts of those early relationships, and my naive but growing sexuality. Amazing what that music brings to my yoga.

OK, I've rambled more than I intended!

#102 of 104 Old 10-29-2014, 06:41 AM
MsBe

Thanks for sharing your music insights Sweetsilver. After reading your posts I've tried putting more music back in my life and my yoga practice and I'm really liking it. I am struggling along at doing something 3 to 5 days/ week. Finding it hard to get back into a daily groove but feel a change might be a'coming with the time shift and the change in seasons.
#103 of 104 Old 10-29-2014, 08:20 AM - Thread Starter
SweetSilver

Good to hear from you, MsBe.

3-5 days a week sounds like a better place to be than struggling to get in one walk or one salutation in a week. I know it doesn't feel much different on the struggling end, but physically you are ahead.

I can't believe I was ever content to do 5 minutes of yoga or less. It does make a difference so I'm not writing it off, but 30-45 minutes of yoga 5 days a week (and 10 salutations on those days I can't indulge) is AMAZING! And the music still powers it, though I've done one or two sessions without it, and was surprised to see it only came to 20 minutes or less-- easily half the time. I've been doing a lot of strengthening poses for core, hips, torso, etc., which can get very rigid, and the music reminds me to keep it more fluid, and I've even taken "breaks" and just danced my way through all or part of a song. I've got a fairly good sequence going with my favorite album, and I never get seem to tire of hearing it.

#104 of 104 Unread Today, 11:50 AM - Thread Starter
SweetSilver

New thread for 2015!

Just so you know it's there, ready and waiting....

Tags
Fitness

Quick Reply

Cut
Copy
Paste
Undo
Redo

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Bold
Italic
Underline
Align Left
Align Center
Align Right
Ordered List
Unordered List
Decrease Indent
Increase Indent
Insert Email Link
Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
Wrap [CODE] tags around selected text
Wrap [HTML] tags around selected text
Wrap [PHP] tags around selected text
Wrap [MENTION] tags around selected text
Wrap [SPOILER] tags around selected text
Smilies [More]
:x :grin: :wink: :crying: >:D :laugh: :serious: :eek: 0:) :frown: :nerd: :smile: :) :thumb :love
Attach Files
Valid file extensions: bmp doc gif jpe jpeg jpg pdf png psd txt zip
(0)
(0)
(0)
(0)
(0)
(0)
(0)
(0)
(0)
(0)