Share your favorite recipes featuring leafy dark green veggies! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 12-14-2013, 07:20 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Collards, cale, brussel sprouts, broccoli, cabbage....    I am trying to incorporate more of these superfoods into our family diet to prevent cancer and for all the multitude of health benefits.   Also I want to lose the last eighteen of my pregnancy pounds and I'm sure that eating more veggies can only help that!

Today I stir fried chinese cabbage and brussel sprouts and broccoli with some olive oil and a few cloves of diced garlic, tossed with soy sauce, and it was pretty yummy.  I slightly overcooked it though, so looking forward to more crunchy next time.

What do you do with brassica veggies?

nak.gif Relentless mommy of 2 mancubs, 8 & 10 years old.... and now a little lady (Oct 2013)!      computergeek2.gif   http://relentlessmommy.com   
#2 of 9 Old 12-14-2013, 08:18 AM
AAK

Quoted: 16 Post(s)

We love to oven roast the broccoli and cauliflower with a sprinkling of parmesan cheese.  It is very yummy, simply, and will work with frozen or fresh.

We also keep broccoli, cauliflower, (and other veggies) prepped and in baggies in the fridge.  It is so easy to just "grab a bag" and go that we have been eating a lot more.  Personally, I don't like raw broccoli, but my dh and some of the kids do.  I love raw cauliflower though.  

Amy

Mom to three very active girls Anna (14), Kayla (11), Maya (8). 
#3 of 9 Old 12-15-2013, 08:13 PM

Kale chips with nutritional yeast are a big hit with my kids.

Oven roasted cauliflower with olive oil, salt and pepper and served with a squeeze of lemon juice.

Sautéed Brussels sprouts in olive oil or bacon fat, with lemon, salt and pepper.

Salad with grated cabbage, carrots, broccoli stem and red pepper, green onion, edamame (or whatever veggies are in the fridge) With peanut/lime/soy sauce /sesame oil dressing.

Kale salad with roasted squash and pears or oranges and almonds.

"Guess what? It's a magical world. And when I sing, my songs are in it."
Madly in love with my 7 and 4 year old daughters

#4 of 9 Old 12-16-2013, 12:11 PM

Potato, kale or cabbage and sausage skillet meal 

Potato, kale, sausage, and white bean soup

Pasta with chicken, sausage, or white beans in a tomato sauce with kale or spinach 

Pasta with chicken or sausage in a EVOO sauce with broccoli

Pasta with chicken or sausage in a creamy sauce with kale, spinach, or broccoli

Oven roasted brussels or cauliflower are wonderful

Chow mein style noodles with cabbage or bok choi, onion, mushroom, and shredded carrots 

Cheryl, wife to an amazing man, homeschooling SAHM to Gavin 12/03, Rhys 09/06, and Ian Aug 11, 2010.

#5 of 9 Old 12-18-2013, 10:18 AM

Two of our favorite (these are more for leafies and less for broccoli/cauliflower):

You could sub any green for the spinach: http://www.thekitchn.com/recipe-braised-coconut-spinach-chickpeas-with-lemon-164551

I have used various greens in this recipe (kale, mustard greens or chard work well) http://allrecipes.com/recipe/curried-mustard-greens-with-kidney-beans/detail.aspx (we try to eat vegan, so I replace the ghee with coconut oil, use coconut milk instead of half and half. I also add some garam masala and 1/2 cup raisins).

knit.gifMarried to my best friend, mama to two boys (12/5/07, 2/12/10) and a sweet little girl (5/2/13).

#6 of 9 Old 12-18-2013, 12:55 PM

Roasted broccoli, brussel sprout, squash, string beans, and red onion. Chop everything up drizzle with extra virgin olive oil little salt and pepper and garlic powder and toss together.  Lay evenly on baking sheets and bake at 370 degrees for about 20 min or until crispy

#7 of 9 Old 01-03-2014, 09:13 AM

Spinach Smoothie:

1 cup vanilla almond milk

2 oz Greek Gods Greek yogurt - honey flavor

1 cup frozen mango or papaya chunks

1 TBSP honey if you like it sweeter

1 TSP vanilla

1 cup baby spinach

Blend and enjoy

Mom to 2 boys, Ian (6) and Duncan (4)

HR goddess and Soapmaker - check my profile for a link to my lovely soap blog!

#8 of 9 Old 04-19-2014, 06:26 AM

DD(8) eats raw broccoli and cauliflower, not cooked.

She eats brussels sprouts sauteed in butter with salt and garlic powder.

We saute coleslaw mix in olive oil with tamari, garlic powder and a little ginger powder.

She will eat spinach, kale or chard if I chop them small and cook them with eggs (saute greens first then add eggs, cook like omelet but greens will be mixed in eggs) then add shredded cheese before folding.

#9 of 9 Old 05-05-2014, 10:40 AM

I love enchiladas! These are full of vegetables in addition to the cheese and creamy sauce.

Tags
Fitness

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page