Mothering Forum banner

Share your favorite recipes featuring leafy dark green veggies!

Tags
fitness
1K views 8 replies 9 participants last post by  Carolynreddick 
#1 ·
Collards, cale, brussel sprouts, broccoli, cabbage.... I am trying to incorporate more of these superfoods into our family diet to prevent cancer and for all the multitude of health benefits. Also I want to lose the last eighteen of my pregnancy pounds and I'm sure that eating more veggies can only help that!

Today I stir fried chinese cabbage and brussel sprouts and broccoli with some olive oil and a few cloves of diced garlic, tossed with soy sauce, and it was pretty yummy. I slightly overcooked it though, so looking forward to more crunchy next time.

What do you do with brassica veggies?

#2 ·
We love to oven roast the broccoli and cauliflower with a sprinkling of parmesan cheese. It is very yummy, simply, and will work with frozen or fresh.

We also keep broccoli, cauliflower, (and other veggies) prepped and in baggies in the fridge. It is so easy to just "grab a bag" and go that we have been eating a lot more. Personally, I don't like raw broccoli, but my dh and some of the kids do. I love raw cauliflower though.

Amy

#3 ·
Kale chips with nutritional yeast are a big hit with my kids.

Oven roasted cauliflower with olive oil, salt and pepper and served with a squeeze of lemon juice.

Sautéed Brussels sprouts in olive oil or bacon fat, with lemon, salt and pepper.

Salad with grated cabbage, carrots, broccoli stem and red pepper, green onion, edamame (or whatever veggies are in the fridge) With peanut/lime/soy sauce /sesame oil dressing.

Kale salad with roasted squash and pears or oranges and almonds.

#4 ·
Potato, kale or cabbage and sausage skillet meal

Potato, kale, sausage, and white bean soup

Pasta with chicken, sausage, or white beans in a tomato sauce with kale or spinach

Pasta with chicken or sausage in a EVOO sauce with broccoli

Pasta with chicken or sausage in a creamy sauce with kale, spinach, or broccoli

Oven roasted brussels or cauliflower are wonderful

Chow mein style noodles with cabbage or bok choi, onion, mushroom, and shredded carrots

#5 ·
Two of our favorite (these are more for leafies and less for broccoli/cauliflower):

You could sub any green for the spinach: http://www.thekitchn.com/recipe-braised-coconut-spinach-chickpeas-with-lemon-164551

I have used various greens in this recipe (kale, mustard greens or chard work well) http://allrecipes.com/recipe/curried-mustard-greens-with-kidney-beans/detail.aspx (we try to eat vegan, so I replace the ghee with coconut oil, use coconut milk instead of half and half. I also add some garam masala and 1/2 cup raisins).

#6 ·
Roasted broccoli, brussel sprout, squash, string beans, and red onion. Chop everything up drizzle with extra virgin olive oil little salt and pepper and garlic powder and toss together. Lay evenly on baking sheets and bake at 370 degrees for about 20 min or until crispy

#7 ·
Spinach Smoothie:

1 cup vanilla almond milk

2 oz Greek Gods Greek yogurt - honey flavor

1 cup frozen mango or papaya chunks

1 TBSP honey if you like it sweeter

1 TSP vanilla

1 cup baby spinach

Blend and enjoy

#8 ·
DD(8) eats raw broccoli and cauliflower, not cooked.

She eats brussels sprouts sauteed in butter with salt and garlic powder.

We saute coleslaw mix in olive oil with tamari, garlic powder and a little ginger powder.

She will eat spinach, kale or chard if I chop them small and cook them with eggs (saute greens first then add eggs, cook like omelet but greens will be mixed in eggs) then add shredded cheese before folding.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.