Running in the new year with the Dingos: January 2014 - Page 7 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#181 of 257 Old 01-26-2014, 07:55 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

aw geez. more snow? really?

we've given up shoveling the path from the house to the garage/back driveway/trash bin.  The first day after a snow we put on snowshoes and pack a path.

We shovel the steps and shovel out a space so we can open the garage door.

Kristin -- mom of Erin (11/5/02) and Leah (9/29/05)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#182 of 257 Old 01-26-2014, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayGee View Post

Currently reading The Orphan Masters Son which is profoundly disturbing. This year's Newbery and Caldecott medals are going to be announced in the next few weeks, so there is lots of KidLit on my reading list smile.gif.

I LOVED that book. Disturbing, yes, but SO powerful, so deeply felt. I have never been moved by a book as I was by that one. Yes, disturbing, and you aren't even at the end yet!! (or are you?) That was my favorite book since Oscar Wao... Although The Sense of an Ending is up there

RR/NRR: biked to school, which started Th. Taking a seminar (one is required for the degree. This is my second. The first was last Spring for which I am now revising the final paper for publication). On that last note, I think I might be hearing from IRB soon with the go-ahead. I had to do some modifications, and literally had a question about one of the mods, and it took them 3 weeks to answer it. If not for that I would have turned in the modifications the day after I received the request. oh well. Walked for an hour yesterday

DD1 took the entrance exam for private school yesterday and tanked on the math. Like, shockingly. Skipped the last page. Dh and I were jaw.gif. She just ran out of time. No test-taking skills, clearly (even though she takes standardized tests every year). We're still trying to recover. So we'll see if that option ends up on the table at all .... greensad.gif

Kids are doing chores, unasked. Ds came out of his room this morning, naked, with an arm-load of dirty laundry loveeyes.gif

mom to  dd1 (11) hearts.gif,  ds (9)bikenew.gif,  dd2 (6) dust.gif  , Daisy (4) dog2.gif
#183 of 257 Old 01-26-2014, 08:02 AM

Kerc, get thee to Paige on facebook or email and ask her. She is the Queen of Everything Disney and she has a travel business helping people go. If anyone would know, it's her...and she's a magnificent Dingo! 

Shanti that photo you put up on fb of the snow is terrifying. I am so OVER this. BLEH. 

Gaye, your schedule is exhausting to even read, much less live. 

RM, I"m so sorry for your loss. May you and your family be comforted.

Jo, I cannot WAIT to hear all about your pilgrimmage. Please take lots of photos, and journal everything. When, oh when, can we get together IRL and spend a few days just talking?! 

As for me, I'm tired. Went on my school's weekend retreat over Shabbat (Fri to Sat. night) and while it was very nice, at times uplifting (we were in Newport RI so had the opportunity to have our services in the nation's oldest working synagogue, built in 1688 by refugee Jews from the Portugese Inquisition), it was also really aggravating and depressing in some ways (teenage shenanigans). My mentored student with whom I am very close is off to DC this week to start a five month program as a Senate Page, which is a huge deal for her. So she was very emotional, and I became so as well. All in all I'm glad I did it, but the ride back was fraught (terrible weather and road conditions) and the kids were totally DONE and all had minor to major meltdowns. I think we're good today, but whew. Re-entry is a bitch.

RR: 9.2 VERY cold miles this morning with my group. I wanted to do an even 10 but by the time we all met up at the end (from where I planned to run home) I was getting cold and tired, and I figured the extra effort involved in running on snow cover made up the mile I didn't cover. Whatever. Now, on to writing student narrative reports....

"Now bid me run, and I will strive with things impossible." (William Shakespeare -- Julius Caesar)

#184 of 257 Old 01-26-2014, 03:55 PM

I finally emailed my realtor and we're meeting next week to talk about details for listing/selling our house. I love decluttering and am getting ruthless about tossing things that I don't want to bother moving. We did the master bed/bath and my mini bedroom office today. I can't wait to run through our office and the garage and lightening our load!

I also have no voice at all after teaching prenatal yesterday. My only RR is purging closets- the kids have gone off on a bike ride to the park and I've been given instructions to stay in bed and rest.

"Guess what? It's a magical world. And when I sing, my songs are in it."
Madly in love with my 7 and 4 year old daughters

#185 of 257 Old 01-26-2014, 07:06 PM

kerc--I hear you on the cost. The thing to consider is whether that experience is what you want. Our trip cost about $1900, including airfare, transportation to DL and food. That amount didn't include DH's plane ticket or two nights of lodging at the DL Hotel, but it did include one of those ridiculously expensive but totally fun princess lunches and souvenirs. Our trip to the in-laws last month was $2500, and that includes the fact that two nights in the motel in nowhere, Conn. cost more than two nights at one of the hotels in DL would. For us, the fact that our DL trip was full of awesomeness and fun and we actually all loved each other the entire time (!!!) vs. pretty much any other trip we've taken to the in-laws which inevitably result in hours-long fights and general dislike of each other for at least two weeks...well, you can see why we want to go back. lol.gif But a week on the beach may fulfill that need just as well, if not more depending on what it is that your family needs.

sparkle--sorry to hear about the test. Perhaps it was designed to be really rough and they expect low scores?

Nic--good luck with reentry and the cold weather.

Warm weather to all! goodvibes.gif

Lisa  caffix.gif and her wonderful girls: R (9) violin.gif &  J (3-3/4) coolshine.gif 
#186 of 257 Old 01-26-2014, 08:49 PM

Hi mamas!

I've been trying to peek in but falling behind.  I did see the sad news from Bec, how horrible.  And Shanti, that picture of the snow was amazing!  You are incredible to be digging your kids out pre-dawn, but I'm sure the Tim Horton's customers would thank you for it.

RR: Nada.  I had my heavy bag at the theatre for the week as a prop and didn't get to class since C was sick until Thursday afternoon.  Tomorrow I might get a little movement in at work but chances are it will be minimal.  Today I did Just Dance for an hour and got sweaty and thirsty but it wasn't really enough.

Kerc - I don't know what to tell you about DW but DL was certainly C's highlight until we went on the Disney Cruise which holds the crown for best family trip on all of our scales.  I briefly looked into the cost of another one and totally choked, but when dh told me he has a big case that has the potential to pay out big time I'll admit it was the first thing that occurred to me to spend it on.

It's time for us to start packing for Mexico even though it's still 10 days away.  And a friend from down there sent us an article about how flu deaths went up 322% in the past week.  I think we'll squeeze in time for shots this week.

A little bit grasshopper a little bit ant   energy.gifom.gif

#187 of 257 Old 01-26-2014, 10:26 PM - Thread Starter

mel38~I WISH I skied 50 days a year, lol. I did get 20 last year, and that was the most I'd ever gotten. The BF got 42 last year, although I would be shocked if he gets anywhere near that this year. I just hit 10 and will be thrilled if I get 20...but yes, I do love it here, and I do use the mountains as much as I can. I know people who never leave Denver, though!

kerc~I agree on checking with Paige. She was very helpful when we were planning our trip, although not so much with discounts, unfortunately. I think Disney discounts are really hard to come by. We did 4 day park hopper tickets, and with those and a day at Sea World, I think I paid nearly $1000 for tickets, just for DS and I. DS loved Epcot, and he loved Animal Kingdom. He said Epcot was his favorite of the parks, and then probably Animal Kingdom. He liked Magic Kingdom a lot, but could have taken or left Hollywood Studios...although he did love the Toy Story ride there. We were lucky and didn't have to pay for airfare or lodging, or there's no way we could have made it happen (thank you, ILs...).

Hanging in here. I survived last week's craziness. Friday was a little rough, but I squeezed in a 40 minute nap in the car between getting back from the stock show and school letting out. Thank goodness our new cub scout pack is run SO much more efficiently than our old one such that the pinewood derby started at 6:20 and was done by 8pm. I had DS in bed at 8:45 and I was asleep by 8:46! I slept 13ish hours Friday night, another 9 or so last night, took a 3 hour nap today, and am still tired. And of course, here I am back at work tonight for three more nights of fun. orngtongue.gif The weekend was way, way too short. Not helped by the fact that C was out of town all last week, is going to be out of town all this week, and will be up in WY next weekend for his national guard duty weekend. Blah. Just counting down until we get to go on vacation...three weeks!

rr~Had to cut short two of my last three workouts, but still got most of them in. Trainer ride on Friday, swim on Saturday, and run today. And this week my swim workouts increase in distance. Yay? orngtongue.gif

Gaye, single mama to Tyler (5/06) and Baxter the labradoodle
surf.gif bikenew.gif jog.gif Wait...I signed up to DO an Ironman??? I thought I was signing up to go SEE Ironman! nut.gif

#188 of 257 Old 01-27-2014, 08:12 AM

Shanti~thanks for asking about the hat.  was going to post a picture yesterday but was already in my animal print jammies and didn't want to change.  I stayed up after every one else so that I could finish it.  After two swatches, both being too small, the hat is TOO  big.  ARGH!!  Eye roll.  thinking of pulling it all out and starting over.  I. want. a. hat.  :)

RR: back on the wagon today and did a HIIT workout of my own.  drinking more water and have cut WAY down on my diet coke.  Plady you'd be so proud.  :)

NRR: loads of homeschool to get caught up with because everytime I think ds1  is okay to do some school on his own, he turns in crappy work.  Add public school week off due to weather and now so many delays due to the cold, we are even more behind.  Called the high school the other day to get ds1 enrolled for the fall.  He needs people that are stricter than I am and he needs more hours of school work and more rules.  I'm too much a push over.    today and tomorrow trying to pack for 4/5 of us, and clean the house for people to come in and check the furnace that keeps going out and make sure the pipes don't freeze while we are out of town for the funeral.  My dad is riding with us which shall be interesting as he doesn't like too much fuss and noise (note videos for kids and three rambunctious boys trapped together for 7 hours). 

Artic blast is back and with wind chill should be -40.  Right now it's 3 with wind chill of -15.     

#189 of 257 Old 01-27-2014, 08:51 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

I commend you Lisa on your ability to change course when needed for your DS!  May I reframe a few things?  Does he need "stricter" or "external motivators with a predictable routine"? Does he need "more rules" despite your being a "push over" or does he need "a regular schedule for his day"?   Ease up on yourself!  You've done amazing things, and you have gotten him through middle school successfully when you *knew* public school wouldn't be right for him.  But please, cast things in the positive when at all possible.  Maybe it'll rub off, eh?  ;)  I think you're awesome, and your flexibility (NOT push over) has been amazing for this child. 

This weekend's exercise was shoveling 3 times and repainting the dining room.  I'm pretty much counting on tomorrow being a day too cold for school.  I normally whine about these things, but if I feel it's too cold to let my kids walk 5 minutes to school, school probably should be cancelled.  And no, I'm not going to let my 70 pound kid walk to school tomorrow morning in the dark with -30F windchill.  I'll drive her if they don't call off school, but so far the superintendent has been calling off these days.

DS has been back to his occasional barfing routine.  Back to the food diary and antacid routine.  Ick.

#190 of 257 Old 01-27-2014, 09:01 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)

Runningmommy - go for it - rip it out and start over. It was a pretty quick knit so you might as well do it again and have something you are happy with!

tjsmama - naps are highly underrated - glad you squeezed some in!

MelW - I love decluttering too. What I don't understand is if I like it so much, why do I keep having to do it???

And just to keep things interesting around here, for a change we have - another snow day!!! :cold  My kids were supposed to start exams last week but some forecasters are saying it may be as long as Thursday before they get back to school. I am starting to wonder if I can save enough cash to buy myself a snow blower if they go on sale at the end of the season! For now I just keep digging and digging since it just keeps piling up. At least it is pretty. And we haven't had to deal with power outages - keeping all my fingers crossed on that one.

I love, love, love my work - but it can be challenging at times working in a virtually all female environment. In some ways that has been a healing and very positive thing for me over the last few months but then there are those days…….

#191 of 257 Old 01-27-2014, 09:53 AM

Geo~sorry I didnt' mean to sound negative at all.  I think he is ready and that it is needed for multitude of reasons. :) 

Shanti~starting the rip!

#192 of 257 Old 01-27-2014, 05:49 PM

My RR from Saturday's 15k (sorry about the strange formatting - I copied/pasted it, and it just turned out a little funny.)

I got up around 6 for a shower and oatmeal for breakfast. I also had coffee, then brought some water to drink on the road to the race. I arrived at about 8 a.m. and found a good parking spot near the lighthouse. Jogged to the fire station to get a little bit warm, and once I got there, just found a sunny spot to stand in.

It was a cold day for a race - at least for us southerners! Temps were 23 when I got in the car, but it warmed up a bit before the start. I had hand-warmers in my gloves, 2 layers of wool (undershirt and long underwear) under my L/S tech shirt, buff and wool hat. Overkill? I don't know, I didn't think so at the time. Started off right after 8:30 am and the first mile is crowded, since 5k and 15k all start together. I felt ok, and thought I would just work on getting warmed up for the first 5k, try not to look at my time.

The first 5k went well, though I did stop and get water at the first stop. After that point - that was only 2 miles in - I felt a little bit like - woah, I have 7 more miles to go! Why do I feel tired? I am definitely not used to running in colder weather though, and the hat bugged me, and the hand warmers were really too much, so I took them out around mile 3. I actually took a glove off, too, and my buff, and unzipped my collar. I just generally felt too hot on mile 4. If I had not pinned my race number to the outermost layer, I definitely would have taken off the tech shirt at that point.

I decided to take my gel at mile 5, where there was a water stop. I felt kind of tired, and keeping the pace below 10 min/miles felt hard. I took my gel, got water and a nice hug from Rachel (a friend from my summer training group) at the water stop :-) That gave me some energy for the next 2 miles. For miles 8 and 9, I started to feel cold again, especially when we started to head back to Ft. Moultrie. The wind picked up and since I had sweated, I got a little chilly! At that point, I was super glad that I had not taken off a layer.

The last mile was tough and involved some counting exercises to keep my cadence going. I remember counting backwards from 100 three times in that last little bit. I just wanted to finish, and since I had been maintaining under 10 min. per mile, I had this idea that my time would be under 1:30. Well, imagine my surprise when I saw 1:32:02 on the clock at the finish line. I forgot how much longer 15k is than 9 miles! It's like 9.3 miles! Still, I was happy with it, and even happier to get 3rd in my AG. It's a PR, too!

Apple and water, hung around and talked to some people after the race.

Overall, I am pretty happy with my race, but I felt like the effort level was a little high. Mentally, I really had to work to get through this race. I wonder why, if I need to put in fewer miles on the treadmill and more on the road? Or am I slacking off a little too much?

Melissa
mom to 3 lovely kids
#193 of 257 Old 01-27-2014, 07:03 PM

Mel38, Way to GO on the PR and the great race! :joyI got a little cold just reading about it, though.

I can hardly imagine what the northern/midwestern Dingoes are dealing with. I got a note from my sister that just said she hates it, and I would just hate it. I am pretty sure I would. Another friend's beehives have frozen off, cars aren't starting. Just, oh, yuck. Shanti, I really, really hope you can find that snowthrower. Start checking Craigslist or local ads as soon as the season winds down. Kerc, I abhor all things Disney, but that weather might be enough to have even me considering a trip there.

And Plady, my packing stalled--now I am BEHIND! I have dd and me figured out, but the boys need abayas and have not yet gone to get them. Same with sandals for dh. I did buy juice boxes, though, half of which I plan to freeze to keep stuff fruits, veggies, olives and deli meats cold in the food cooler. But pay no mind to my vax reaction--it passed, and now we are all just fine, and we will probably be thankful to have done it, maybe.

RM, Geo is so right! No need to apologize for "sounding negative," just give credit where it is due--and that is you, mama. You have stepped in and made changes in so many ways, especially just over the last few years, to help your family in just the way it has needed at the time. That's being a good mom. :thumb My kids are so ready for B&M school, too--and so am I! Ds had MAPS testing Sunday morning, and it was nice to listen and watch him interact with the MS principal before his test. Of course there will be more transitions. I think my kids need outside teachers because they will do more for themselves with the right teacher chemistry. And I want them in a classroom daily for foreign language. And we need math and science specialists now. And they want to play sports, and the art studio has so much more than I can offer.

Nic, I seriously do wish for that visit. I have a feeling we'd have a tough time cutting it off once we get started. You're in my prayers, mama.

I finished my final app yesterday, and then got some feedback on a story from a writer a prof knows...long story short, she gave good and useful (and also encouraging) feedback, but seems to scoff at the degree, and I am still digesting that POV. I mean, for that reason I will only entertain either a fully funded offer or a low-res program (for which I'd also need some funding). And, I do have a plan in place for how to use the time and resources--I am not lah-dee-dah about it. I guess it just goes to show you, different people, different lives and opportunities. You just never know what's behind everything someone says.

I fasted yesterday. It was rough. I need to get to bed early the night before, and I didn't, so I crashed for a nap at 330. But dinner was SO good. :wink

I am going to head out for a short run as soon as it is light enough, and then later this morning, we have Arabic tutoring. We've been living in the clouds the past two days, but forecast says 80F today, so I want to take the kids to the beach if I can for a couple of hours today AND tomorrow, so we can load up on Vit D before covering them all up for a week. Should be back to sunny and around 80 when we get back, and only up from there.

So, I don't know if I will have time to check in back here before we go, but I wanted to ask you ladies before I take my leave, if I have said or done things that have hurt or offended you in any way, that you please accept my sincere apology and forgive me. See you, G!d willing, on the other side.

#194 of 257 Old 01-27-2014, 10:39 PM

RM--Glad you took Shanti's advice. It will be worth it in the end.

Mel38--congrats on the PR and AG placement. As far as feeling hard: cold races are hard. Temps in the '40s or high '30s with sun aren't too bad, but much colder than that and your body has to figure out how to keep warm while sweating, yk?

1jooj--perhaps her thinking is that if you have the talent, the credentials aren't all that important? There are many fields like that. At any rate, I hope you have an amazing, inspirational experience on your trip.

The horrifying news from my neck of the woods today: a 16-year-old set himself on fire in the school cafeteria just before school started. It was a suicide attempt. He was burned over 80 percent of his body, but in critical condition as of last reports. I don't even know what to say, other than to ask you to send prayers and good thoughts toward the area. It's the high school in the neighborhood where the 10-year-old was murdered last year. I wish we could gather up all involved--the students, the staff who jumped in, his family--and just hold them in warmth and love and light until they find peace, yk?

Lisa  caffix.gif and her wonderful girls: R (9) violin.gif &  J (3-3/4) coolshine.gif 
#195 of 257 Old 01-28-2014, 03:55 AM

Bec - I'm so sorry, how awfu

Lisa I'm glad you were able to spend so much time with your grandmother before she passed, hugs to you and your family.

Shanti that would just be surreal that much snow. We are at -20 this morning. Ridiculous.

Must add orphan masters son to book list.

Mel some races are just harder and we can go back and analyze and never quite know why. The temps could have been a big part though if your body was having to regulate more than usual. Regardless that the effort was great, the result was awesome!!! Nice race!

Real how awful. So very awful.

I got on here to complain about sick kids, lazy husbands, and waking to a disaster house when I need to do school with at least one child, the other is too sick, and go to work for 9 hours. But then I read all of our struggles...and while these are annoyances, they are small.

In other news...I ran 3.25 Sunday. I've been secretly running for at least a month, but always thinking I was going to have to quit again. I haven't told anyone 'in real life' yet. I don't want to deal with all the questions if I have to stop again. But I am over the moon. I had this thought...running for me is like church. Not running since March has been like a spiritual person not going to church. It has been that painful.
#196 of 257 Old 01-28-2014, 04:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by babybugmama View Post

In other news...I ran 3.25 Sunday. I've been secretly running for at least a month, but always thinking I was going to have to quit again. I haven't told anyone 'in real life' yet. I don't want to deal with all the questions if I have to stop again. But I am over the moon. I had this thought...running for me is like church. Not running since March has been like a spiritual person not going to church. It has been that painful.

:joy That's so awesome!!!

Melissa
mom to 3 lovely kids
#197 of 257 Old 01-28-2014, 06:27 AM

BBM: Yay!!!! :energy

Real, I'm so sorry your community continues to be hit with these unspeakable tragedies. Sending vibes of light and peace in your direction.

Mel, great race! Woot! 

Jo, safe travels and Godspeed. May you find revelation, commune with God and your spiritual life, and also have a good time. :blowkiss

I am freezing. I am so DONE with this. I know it's not as cold here as it is in the midwest but you know what?! I HATE THE COLD. Bleh.

RR: On the up side, when you wear enough layers to run in the cold, it's not too bad. Oddly it's the only time I don't mind it. 6.1 outside this morning, and last night a 1500 yard swim in the pool. First (indoor) triathlon is this Sunday, so...yeah.

"Now bid me run, and I will strive with things impossible." (William Shakespeare -- Julius Caesar)

#198 of 257 Old 01-28-2014, 07:11 AM

Nic - I am SO with you on the cold. Done with it. It's 3 right now. As my DH says, "3 is not a temperature!" Good luck on your tri this weekend!

BBM - so happy to hear you're running again! It gives me hope that one day I might be able to report the same.

Real - that is so unspeakably awful! May your community find peace and healing hug.gif.

jooj - enjoy your trip! And congratulations on the good commentary and review of your writing. Not sure if the degree makes a difference, but it's nice to hear that you've got what it takes orngbiggrin.gif.

RM - you are doing right for your boys, that's the most important thing. Best of luck with the upcoming changes.

RR - walked on the treadmill for 30 minutes last night. Heading to he Y here shortly for more of the same.

NRR - Wise Dingo-mamas, I am losing it greensad.gif. Ever since Christmas, my anxiety levels have been rising and depression has been taking over. I feel like I'm just existing, not participating in my own life. My head feels like it 's full of cotton and my thoughts and ideas just can't get to the surface. DH is tired of me watching life from the sidelines, snapping at him and the children, falling asleep at 8:30 every night leaving him to do bedtimes. I wake up every morning in full anxiety-alert, unable to get my heart out of my throat, but there is no reason for my anxiety. What the heck....

Meanwhile, I am finding daily evidence that DD1 is not getting the education she needs at school. Two recent examples, from yesterday:
1. She couldn't read to me the number 134,254. She hasn't learned place value?! How is she still getting an A in math every report card? She is still doing addition on her fingers, in spite of tutoring. She is almost 10 and in 4th grade.

2. She brought home an essay yesterday. It was the worst piece of writing I had ever seen. Full of sentence fragments, no paragraph structure, and a multitude of exclamation points. But there was no commentary on it, just a grade - B and some lines crossed out. When I was in 4th grade, I learned how to write for real. Paragraph structure, topic sentences with supporting points, introductions and conclusions, and for the love of Pete, no repeating exclamation points!

Apparently, I will need to be teaching her how to write and how to read numbers over 100 here at home, because she isn't getting it at school.

~~Kristina~~ Mama to DS(10/30/01), DD1(VBAC 3/28/04) and DD2(HBAC 5/21/06)
#199 of 257 Old 01-28-2014, 07:35 AM

JayGee, I am so with you on the depression thing. Could it be possible you have SAD, and/or a vitamin deficiency of some kind? Food issue? I have similar patterns, especially with the waking up at full anxiety alert and the falling asleep ridiculously early. I think the darkness and cold is a HUGE part of it, at least for me. Life circumstances don't help of course, and exercise is the only thing -- and I mean only thing right now -- keeping me functional. Ugh.

:Hug

#200 of 257 Old 01-28-2014, 08:06 AM

Ugh, JayGee.  I feel for you.  Check common core standards for place value. I'm now mixed up because DS is getting a few grade levels interwoven with each other, but I think the 100 thousands is 5th grade now.  Writing instruction is my new high horse.  As far as I can tell, paragraph structure isn't really taught until 6th grade.  Amazingly, 1 quarter with real writing instruction, and DD's writing climbed 6 grade levels.  (total gain of 9 grade levels with some intervention services).  Instruction works, folks! Let's try it now and then, eh?  And I now write a blog for this stuff ;)

The heat has been running continuously today.  DS was literally bouncing off the walls, so both kids are now in the basement with forced treadmill time.

#201 of 257 Old 01-28-2014, 08:32 AM

For depression and anxiety...do check vit D levels, iron, and thyroid issues. Also is it at all hormonal? That said, the gratitude journal at night with a twist. Try to find at least three things you are looking forward to tomorrow. If it works as a motivator and not pressure, do it with your kids. It's a great way to teach optimistic thinking. They can be very minor like you are looking forward to the lunch plan for tomorrow. If you can only come up with one, that's okay, but keep trying to add.

For the record, I may never be able to run more than three again. My Achilles still feels weird, it just doesn't hurt.

Our homeschool math has taught place value more heavily now in fifth grade. It began last year, but it is expected for her to know it this year. Interestingly, I have noticed at work many of the kids doing certain math concepts much younger. For example one little girl in second grade iwas already doing multiplication at the beginning of fall. When normally that didn't happen until the end of second grade/beginning of third grade. Geofizz seems to have a really good handle though on what things happen when.

As for writing, this has been my biggest struggle. I moved so much when I was a child that my instruction in that area was extremely weak. Although, I think dd's writing is really pretty good for her grade level. When she writes for herself, I ask if she wants feedback and if she doesn't, I don't give it. But because of that many times she will invite feedback. I wonder if you could get your DD to do some fun writing for you and see if she wants feedback and guidance. I talk my DD up quite a bit, complementing her creativity and ideas (very genuine compliments - I think she's extremely creative) And then emphasizing a way to make a point more strongly or clearly... I Will also throw random things out at her like today as I was leaving for work, saying, you never start a sentence with the word and.... This is my weakest area though as I said. I would love to hear others thoughts.
#202 of 257 Old 01-28-2014, 10:07 AM

Writing instruction for all members of this house has been painful and fraught with tears.

I'm coming around to the thought that teaching the structure of language and writing is of primary importance for kids like mine.  DH and I, wired similarly, would also have done much better in such an environment.  DS did horribly in 2nd grade writing, which was taught mostly with a blank piece of paper and instructions to "write something." The philosophy seems to be based in one where you give kids tons of practice and let them be creative.  My kids can't be creative until writing is comfortable.  They can't be comfortable until they can do it well.  They can't do it well until someone teaches them.

Instead, it works better in this house to instruct with structure.  Start with graphic organizers and an illustration of what a paragraph is (we use the "paragraph hamburger" here).  The first sentence tells me what the paragraph is about, the last concludes it.  Details go in the middle.  Each sentence needs a subject, verb, and object.  Essays have the same structure as a paragraph.  The first paragraph tells me what the essay is about, the last one ties it together.  Intervening paragraphs give details.  Plan a paragraph with a graphical organizer with TOPIC and details coming off.  Plan essays with a series of TOPICs and details for each topic.

DS was writing 20 words in 30 minutes last year.  He's writing 2-3 pages in the same amount of time.  DD's writing is unrecognizable as being written by the same person 2 years ago.

I give neither kid feedback.  I ask them to read me what they wrote (sentence fragments are almost always fixed), and color code their writing according to each portion of their graphical organizer (so topic 1 is red, underline everything pertaining to topic 1 in red, for instance).

My grad students get shockingly similar instruction, by the way.  Writing instruction in this country stinks.

#203 of 257 Old 01-28-2014, 10:36 AM

Nope, JayGee, place value to a million is a 4th grade standard.  One thing we're seeing here is gaps opening due to less-than-perfect transition between old and new standards.  If she likes comic books, we like the Beast Academy. 

#204 of 257 Old 01-28-2014, 11:52 AM

Geo - thank you so much for your detailed description of teaching writing! She will totally understand the visual aspects of the "hamburger" and the graphic organizer, as well as the color coding. Thank you!!!! How often do you do writing with your kids?

BBM - thank you for your suggestions. It's not a cycle thing (hormonal), because the depression/anxiety can occur at any time during my cycle and can last for months before receeding again. If I think about it, I've had these mood swings since college, so at least a good 25-30 years! The crazy thing is that when I feel good, I can't imagine how I could feel bad (and vice versa). I know I'm not anemic (donated blood, iron was well above the cutoff for donating). Vitamin D could be an issue since I am not getting much sun and don't drink milk. Don't think I have a thyroid issue since there are no other symptoms. I picked up some
Vitamin D at the store today and will start supplementing.

#205 of 257 Old 01-28-2014, 12:51 PM

Only as often as I want my kids to hate me.  :eyeroll:

I only do this as part of homework.  DS has to write a paragraph for homework once a week, and DD has an essay due every two weeks.  Last summer, DS had a tutor to work on writing (it was that bad) who introduced the concept of teaching the child to write...

Quote:

Originally Posted by JayGee View Post

How often do you do writing with your kids?

#206 of 257 Old 01-28-2014, 01:03 PM

Am I just clueless or lucky?  I think my kids are learning well and are generally happy at school.

Their writing skills and computational skills are good.

They suck at doing homework though. At least without a whole lot of griping.

But maybe I don't know what is going on? You guys have me a little worried.

Kristin -- mom of Erin (11/5/02) and Leah (9/29/05)
#207 of 257 Old 01-28-2014, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerc View Post

Am I just clueless or lucky?  I think my kids are learning well and are generally happy at school.

Their writing skills and computational skills are good.

They suck at doing homework though. At least without a whole lot of griping.

But maybe I don't know what is going on? You guys have me a little worried.

Your schools seem to be excellent, and your kids are learning and happy.  Don't rock that boat.

I've learned that our schools here are excellent, and my kids are a poor fit to the schools.  Remember my kids both have diagnosed processing disabilities, plus doses of anxiety for added complexity.  These things add to needing education where most kids don't.  So, I've learned a lot about how to teach writing, spelling, math facts, recognizing ones peers, chewing and swallowing, and consistently peeing in the toilet.

You've got other stuff on your plate, and I'm always a tad bit worried that I'm not paying enough attention to my kids emotional development after hearing from you.  We develop different black-belt parenting skills according to the individual kid's needs. 

#208 of 257 Old 01-28-2014, 01:33 PM

kerc - our schools stink greensad.gif. When we first moved here from Bloomington, IN I was horrified by the differences. Now looking at private school options, again. DS has done well in the public school because a) he got his foundations in Indiana, b) he's very self-motivaed by learning itself. Kids just walked in the door. BBL.

#209 of 257 Old 01-28-2014, 04:01 PM

Real and Bec - greensad.gif I am so sad, mostly because those kids felt so desperate and so unsupported, and I'm so sad for everyone that has to live with this forever ...

JG - oh wow, I would be shell shocked by a school result like that. On the up side, when DD1 was in 4th and had weekly writing assignments (weekly debates in gifted, written up first), she went from pretty clueless to pretty fluent in 3 mos. I think just externalizing this 'hidden' skill with very concrete instructions (color coding, yes!) moves kids forward pretty predictably.

On the other stuff, yes, I have also said how strange it is that when I'm in the soup I cant recall what it feels like to feel normal, and when I feel normal, I cant remember the depression, even though it was awful and I experienced it! So bizarre, and also makes one leery of trying to talk to others about it, b/c if u yourself cant imagine it, how can someone who hasnt experienced it. However, dh needs to support you. You need to feel not judged, and totally accepted for whatever you are going through for whatever reason. Maybe this is seasonal, maybe its hormonal, and maybe there is something to be done and maybe not, but can you talk about it with him and both try to remember that its happened before and it will pass (although I understand the fear that this time it wont pass). In the meantime, try things. Vit. D, chinese medicine? It got to the point where Dh and I had a rating scale of mood, and I could just say, I'm feeling about 8 and he knew exactly what that meant and I didnt feel alone (the numbers changed over the course of the day; morning and afternoon). I feel you.

Melw - I LOVE decluttering. Enjoy...

Plady - I hope mexico is awesome. Im jealous.

Jo - blessings on your journey. I think you are right about the residency and/or tuition. I think you are probably too gifted to 'need' the credential...

RR: I am officially so out of shape that I am injuring myself just from regular activity. Yes, my IT band is unsupported and so now my knee hurts, and yes, I am making an appt with PT because I pulled my hip out cross-training irked.gif (that one time lol.gif) Im just not yet in a mental space for exercise. And if you say "but it will make you feel better", well, just. no.

NRR: ... one day at a time, one foot in front of the other ...

edited to add:
suggestions: I have to write a book review and a policy analysis related to education, the closer to writing instruction particularly, the better. For example, I could analyze the effects of an immigration policy on education generally or writing instruction. I have a few books in mind but none are really doing it for me, and havent thought much about the policy (it can be local, national, global ..). Thinking more about secondary and post-secondary ed.

mom to  dd1 (11) hearts.gif,  ds (9)bikenew.gif,  dd2 (6) dust.gif  , Daisy (4) dog2.gif
#210 of 257 Old 01-28-2014, 04:26 PM - Thread Starter

Great race, mel!

And joy.gif for running, bbm! So good to see you back here regularly!

As for me, I had the worst night I've ever had at work last night. Nothing all that terrible happened, I just spent the entire night feeling off my game and disconnected and then one of our midwives made me feel like the world's dumbest person on multiple occasions. I know a big part of it is probably just exhaustion. Part of it was being with a different preceptor and I think we just didn't mesh very well. I've been pretty independent with my labor orientation recently and I just felt like she was babysitting me and second-guessing me a lot. I think we have very different styles, which doesn't help. My primary preceptor wanted me to start taking two patients this week, which the standard is to have one non-active (very early induction) and one slightly more active patient. The standard also is supposed to be that if your patient is on pitocin, they are 1:1. My preceptor decided that even though I already had a patient on pitocin, it was ok for us to take a second patient who wasn't really active, but was having vaginal bleeding and the baby had had a couple of decels in triage. Which freaked me out and sent me on the downward spiral. It was fine, but I ended up not really actively managing either of the patients because my preceptor (who I think has trouble not doing things) kind of took over. And then the midwife who was the provider for both of my patients kept saying/doing things that just made me feel like an idiot and like I had no clue what I was doing...which then really DID make me not know what I was doing. Sigh. Here's hoping tonight is better. I'm with the same preceptor, but maybe just a different patient and different vibe? 12 more hours, and then I have (at least a small) break...

rr~An hour and a half on the trainer yesterday, broken up by having to go pick up DS from school because I'm dumb and forgot I had a dentist appointment and didn't have time to sleep AND get my entire ride in between the appointment and school pickup. Oh well. Today, 2400 yds in the pool. I'm starting to not hate swimming. I mean, I don't love it, but it's all right. Good thing, since my coach is increasing my yardage this week, yippee.

Gaye, single mama to Tyler (5/06) and Baxter the labradoodle
surf.gif bikenew.gif jog.gif Wait...I signed up to DO an Ironman??? I thought I was signing up to go SEE Ironman! nut.gif

Tags
Fitness

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page