Mothering Forum banner

Running in the new year with the Dingos: January 2014

Tags
fitness
8K views 256 replies 18 participants last post by  bec 
#1 ·
It's the New Year! Time for making goals and looking ahead to healthy living in 2014!

New visitors to the Dingo Thread may ask, "but, what is a Dingo?"

Dingoes are mamas (defined loosely, when needed) who run, walk, cycle, tri, and participate in whatever sport they need to sustain their awesome mama selves in lives that are definitely dynamic. Sometimes, a Dingo is injured, or life takes a turn, and she has to take a break from her chosen sport. Whether active or aspiring, Dingoes support one another in spirit. When two Dingoes are in the same place at the same time, something incredibly special happens. This is called a Dingo Meetup. They are relatively rare, and so we try to record them with photographic evidence.

Are you a Dingo? You just might be, if:

You sometimes perform acts of brilliance in order to squeeze a workout into a busy week.

You're never ashamed of coming in at the back of the pack, even if you're used to coming in faster.

You have found yourself sincerely respecting and admiring moms in all forms, observing how they're doing it for love, and growing from their experiences as well as your own

You won't know until you try, and all comers are welcome.

See less See more
#28 ·
Nic--hope you have fun at the spa. DH's grandmother lives in that area. Technically, I guess that's the Taconic range and not the Bershires, but she's less than 5 minutes from the CT border so I'm not sure it really matters. Sounds like it's a chilly weekend for that sort of thing though!

MelW--so many
goodvibes.gif
as you make decisions this weekend.

kerc--stay warm and
goodvibes.gif
that your DH heals quickly. Also, congrats on finishing day 3 of 3!

goodvibes.gif
to all of you out in those chilly temps.

sparkle--thanks for the suggestion. I'll find some for him to try. It's clear that his anxiety was too high for him to cope using the usual methods, and he really needs something to take the edge off.

Plady--yes, he knows, but it's a double-edge sword because when he thinks about what impact it might be having on them, he gets really worked up again and is more likely to just start the cycle over. At least he agrees that he needs something to take the edge off, at least in especially intense situations such as those involving dying family members. Glad you got some kickboxing in today!

Things are slowly improving here, though I'm guessing we have a couple weeks more before things return to normal. Bleh. I'm really looking forward to Monday when he goes back to work. (One might imagine that if I leave to go run, that would help, but he's back into the pattern about complaining endlessly if he watches the kids for an hour or two, even if he was happy to do it before I left.) It's just a lot of
banghead.gif
and
greensad.gif

Tomorrow: a 5K and then a 10K in 20-degree weather and snow. The race is "The Resolve." I'm not sure what I'm resolving, but maybe it will give me some time to figure it out. My primary 2014 goal is to get a job, but I probably should think about this from a big-picture perspective too.

#29 ·
Lisa - its called Calming (not calm), and "symptoms of PMS" is listed under "for temporary relief of..." Just tell him to ignore that one
winky.gif

MelW - congrats and eek! Very much luck hashing it out this weekend (weekend!)

DD2 is officially 6 (as of 1:30am last night). The parade of events, which started Oct. 3 with DD1's bday, is almost over. Have to make it through the party Sunday with 21 kids. .... then I can turn my attention to the "modifications" sought by IRB - ugh, as Im barely holding on to my interest...

#30 ·
MelW - Whoa is right! 1 weekend??? I hope you both already had some solid ideas about what would make the change workable or not and it was just a matter of if the numbers were right. Whew though. That's a fast decision time.

Real -
:hug

Nic - Have a nice weekend in something warm!

Sparkle - 21 six year olds???
yikes2.gif

Geo - I like the blog. So far I don't know any G/T kids but I've got you bookmarked.

Thinking of you all that are in the subzeros.
:cold
It's 40* outside and probably 60ish in (didn't get the fire going until after 5 today) and I'm freezing. I sat in the hot tub today which was great but somehow could get my back warm without the rest of me getting woozy and didn't get my hair totally dry so as soon as we got into our chilly house all that warmth was for naught. Actually I think I may be harboring a cold but all the talk of vitmains being useless has me spinning me wheels on what to do about it. I ate a lot of heavily garlicked ceasar salad in case garlic still works.

#31 ·
MelW, congrats to dh, and yes, whoa. Like others have said, I hope you guys have both followed the path in your own minds and now can figure out an approach that works for everyone. The relo question is not an easy one under the best of circumstances.

Real,
:Hug
Does dh take magnesium? Would he consider it? Again, not a solution, but might take the edge off. Anxiety is no joke. Will be thinking of you as you move through this. And so sorry about his Gma and the family's way of dealing with it by misinformation and vagueness that just adds to the worries.

Wow, weather. kerc, my FB feed has been lit up with screen shots and forecasts (a very funny ND rez radio forecast included), and dh and I are just shaking our heads, sure we would just die. OK, maybe not die, but that's hard. Stay safe!

JayGee, welcome back to cyberspace.
:wink

Plady, I am doing a Whole30 and would consider making it a 40 or 50...of course, I blew it on our impromptu camping trip, but am back on the horse. I was thinking of you squatting with a feed bag today.

sparkle, I had raging anxiety that seemed timed to PMS a couple years ago. Benzos worked but I wanted to eat them like candy. I hope you're feeling whole today.

Nic, I would be all over a spa weekend while my family went outdoors. If only!

We jumped in the car yesterday and drove out to a huge dune area about 20mi from the Saudi border, with cots and tent and sleeping bags, but no advance planning. Turned out it was the weekend of a huge 4x4 festival. There was a whole city there in the middle of empty desert. We pitched a tent a bit away from the big mess of people (after I convinced dh I would not stay among them). Not far enough to be out of the way of middle-of-the-night dune bashers, and the road traffic went on until something like 4AM. We didn't pack food, so I ended up having shawarma. Next time I will fast instead. It was nice to have a fire but we left city traffic just to end up in uncontrolled 4x4 traffic on the dunes. Noisy, lots of horns, and trucks with "pimped" exhaust to be extra loud. Fun stuff. Passed a few camel farms, but the workers made us feel melancholy. Dh went to buy food and the workers there made him even more sad. The whole trip fed our bitterness more than anything. Oops.

Today I got up determined to get a grip on myself before I can really get downright depressed. I did the laundry and went out for a two-hour walk, jumped back on the Whole 30 wagon, cooked a bunch of food, fed dh and the kids what they wanted, and next I am going to do some reading, and hopefully get my mind right for some more writing. I've been sleeping too much (so is dh), and I need to start getting up earlier to get back on track.

#32 ·
We didnt invite 21, but several families pulled the "is it ok if we bring siblings?" and I couldnt say no
bag.gif
Should have foresaw that better
irked.gif

Jo - yes on the benzo craving but I am steering far away from that route, as even the thought feeds the anxiety (the word trigger is a new and useful one for me these days) due to family history
yikes2.gif
But yeah, in my experience, and from convos with others, anxiety is pretty common part of peri. Yuck. Its given me much more compassion for my mom though. A lot of her history is making sense in a new light, for better and worse I guess ..

Kerc - I remember those sub-zeros weeks of January. Thats when people pull out that useless Norwegian (supposedly) expression "there's no such thing as bad weather, just bad gear". Yeah thanks. Good luck staying sane, and comfortable

Geo - like it

#33 ·
Posting from phone. Good day so far, kids anddh boarded this morning while i held a table in the lodge. Then came to hotel, which is really a beautiful resort. Muds hit game room, dh x cntry skiied and i had a sauna (further confirming i belong in a desert climate. Hot never felt so good. It was -2 this morning.). Dh gets his spa evening tonight and i get a massage tmrw morning after i run on the mill. Then we go back to the mountain for reg skii g which will be my first time in oh, about 30 years). Spa stuff is my belated chanukah present, and BAM, totally great. Then back to realitt on Monday, alas...

So need this even with kids along... maybe next time no kids?

#34 ·
jog.gif
jog.gif

Mel38 - Charlie Post Classic 15k - January 25, 2014

tjsmama - Runnin' of the Green Lucky 7k - March 16, 2014

Mel38 - Cooper River Bridge Run 10k - April 5, 2014

Bec - Eggshell Shuffle - April 19, 2014

tjsmama - Colorado Marathon 1/2 marathon, May 4, 2014

realrellim - Colfax Marathon, May 18, 2014

tjsmama - Ironman 70.3 Boulder, June 15, 2014
tjsmama - Boulder Peak Triathlon, July 13, 2014

Bec - Route 66 Half Ironman - July 26, 2014

tjsmama - Ironman Boulder, August 3, 2014

tjsmama - Rock n' Roll Denver 1/2 Marathon, October 19, 2014

Special dates:

candle.gif
September 24 Annual Griffin Memorial 5k - where ever you may be that day, whether organized or solo, whether running, walking, cycling, meandering or otherwise, please hold Griffin Patrick (and all those born silently or too soon) in your hearts.
stillheart.gif

Other places to find the Dingos:

: cooking blog
:

knitting blog

We have a private Yahoo group. Submit a request to join and mention your MDC
username in the request so we know who you are.

#35 ·
run.gif
2013 Dingo Race Results
partytime.gif

mommajb - Tinkerbell Half, January 20, 2013

mel38 - Charlie Post Classic 15k - January 26, 2013 - 1:38:46

realrellim - Yeti Chase 10K, January 27, 2013

bec - Desert Classic Half Marathon, February 2, 2013

realrellim - Ralston Creek Half Marathon, February 10, 2013 - 1:59:47

tjsmama - Runnin' of the Green Lucky 7k, March 10, 2013 - 41:58

JayGee - AOH 5k - March 10, 2013 - 27:48 (DS's time - 26:53, for his first 5K ever!)

poppywise - Oakland Half Marathon, March 24, 2013

Mel38 - Cooper River Bridge Run 10k, April 5, 2013 - 1:00:28

Mel38 - TryCharleston Sprint Triathlon, April 20, 2013 - 1:32:21

bec - Kentucky Derby Marathon, April 27, 2013

tjsmama - Cherry Creek Sneak 10 Miler, April 28, 2013 1:41:58

bec - Indy Mini Marathon, May 4, 2013

Mel38 - Hell Hole Swamp Gator Run 10k, May 4, 2013 - 1:00:?

Dmitrizmom - Pieathlon, May 11, 2013

JayGee & DD1 - St. Louis Girls on the Run 5k, May 11, 2013 - 41:00

realrellim - Colfax Marathon, May 19, 2013 - 4:00:44

tjsmama - Colfax 1/2 Marathon, May 19, 2013 - 2:15:54

Dmitrizmom - Gladiator Assault Challenge, May 19, 2013

Mel38 - Charleston Sprint Triathlon Series #1, May 19, 2013 - 1:26:37

realrellim - Boulder Bolder 10k, May 27, 2013 - 53:11

tjsmama - Boulder Bolder 10k, May 27, 2013 - 59:07

Mel38 - Lowcountry Splash 2.4 mile swim, June 1, 2013 - 57:36

Nickarolaberry - Amica Iron Horse Half Marathon, June 2, 2013 - 2:30-ish

Dmitrizmom - Grinnell Games Half Marathon, June 8, 2013

mel38 - Charleston Sprint Triathlon Series #2, June 16, 2013 - 1:26:03 PR!

tjsmama - Loveland Lake to Lake Olympic Tri, June 22, 2013

realrellim - Winter Park Half Marathon, June 29, 2013

realrellim - Run for Independence, July 6, 2013

Dmitrizmom - Iowa Games Triathlon, July 14, 2013 - 1:41:06

bec - Door County Triathlon - Half Ironman, July 21, 2013 - 7:55 PR!!

poppywise - The Giant Race San Francisco Half Marathon, August 4, 2013 - 2:39:12

Dmitrizmom - Run for Blood, August 4, 2013 - (31:52 a PR by over 3 minutes!!)

mel38 - Charleston Sprint Tri Series #5, August 11, 2013 - 1:31:20

tjsmama - Rattlesnake Triathlon Crazy Back-to-Back (Oly & Sprint), August 17-18, 2013 - 3:23:10 & 1:27:39

Realrellim - Rattlesnake Sprint Tri, August 18, 2013 1:32:23

Realrellim - West Side Duathlon, August 25, 2013

mel38 - Francis Marion Dirt Dash Half Marathon, September 7, 2013 - 2:25:22

1jooj - Fox Cities Half, Sept 22, 2013

Nickarolaberry - Providence Rock n Roll half marathon, Sept 29, 2013 - 2:08:54

bec - Des Plaines River Trail Half Marathon, October 19, 2013 - 2:51 with DD2 & DH!

tjsmama - Rock n' Roll Denver 1/2 Marathon, October 20, 2013 - 2:06:48 (course PR!!)

realrellim - Kooky Spooky Half Marathon, October 26, 2013 - 1:56:26 (PR!!!)

tjsmama - New York Marathon, November 3, 2013 - 4:44:59

mel38 - New York Marathon, November 3, 2013 - 4:46:31

Nickarolaberry - Monson Memorial Classic - November 10, 2013 - 2:13:20

Loftmama - Milam Settlers Day 5k - November 23, 2013

Nickarolaberry - Somerville Jingle Bell Run - December 2013 - 27:54

:twothumbs
2014 Dingo Results
:clap

jog.gif
bikenew.gif
jog.gif
surf.gif

Nickarolaberry - Gordy's First Race - January 1, 2014 - 57:xx (PR!!)

realrellim - The Resolve Double (5K + 10K) - January 4, 2014 - 25:11 & 58:45 (fastest female!!!)

2010 Results

2011 Results

2012 Results

#36 ·
kerc, good luck with the cold. Across state closing of schools seems drastic. We had a "snow day" here in December that involved maybe 1/2" of snow and a -2C temperature- supposedly the roads were too icy for the buses, but by 9:30 in the morning it was sunny and glorious and I saw some kids playing in the snow in t-shirts. Our district has never heard of a 2 hour delay, apparently. My inner conspiracy theorist wants to chart the number of snow days that fall by day of the week, because I suspect a spike in Friday snow days.

sparkle, you amaze me with your party tolerance. Good luck with the IRB- you can do this!

nic, enjoy the last of your spa time!

As for the job we've had weeks of discussion since the interview when we decided that this would probably be the right choice. He asked for the weekend to look come back with a counter offer for salary/research/relocation, but it looks like it's going to happen.

The negotiation on "this end" is when the kids and I will go. After the interview I had said that he should go for the job start (July 1st), but that kids and I would stay here until the end of 2014, giving me time to get all of the coursework done in my MPH and to do a full year of my new contract so that I'm eligible for an unpaid leave from the college. I could then take an unpaid leave, relocate myself and the kids and find a practicum placement there for Jan 2015. As I think about this more I think it might be better to all go before the start of school- no mid-year transitions for the kids (especially the youngest, who starts kindergarten in the fall), better to try to sell our house in summer (and if we sold and stayed, no need for me to rent/crash at MIL for 4-6 months). I also think on a relationship level that going all together as a family is probably better than him starting a bachelor social life there then being joined by friendless us. My initial thinking about January is that the first year after a move traditionally sucks for us relationship-wise, and that I might avoid the first six months by being apart while he adjusts. It may just be prolonging the inevitable, though, so I'm leaning toward going for September or even a bit earlier. It's a 7 1/2 hour drive (plus ferry wait and often terrible traffic), so not commutable. Going in summer has a disadvantage for my job hunt because I know that I'll need to work minimally in Jan-Mar/Apr for my practicum, but maybe casual at the hospital would be a good short-term plan with the hopes that I make good connections in my practicum to find a new job. There may be nursing instructor options there, and more bigger city stuff (health authority/government-type work).

Then there's the whole leaving the community that we love for a big truck, strip mall, tanned bodies city. My aunt, uncle and grandma all live there, and I do know a small niche of "our" people connected to the university and public broadcaster there. I'm trying to keep it real about what life will be like, which is easier for me than for him since I don't have the dream job waiting for me.

Thanks for letting me type through/process this. Now I'm going climbing.

#37 ·
Plady--tell me more about your thoughts re: vitamins. I've been thinking about that news too, though weighing that with my experience that things like fish oil seem to make a difference.

1jooj--sorry that camping trip wasn't at all what it should have been. Sounds like everything is coming back into order again there, which is good. Thanks for the magnesium tip, though he's not good about vitamins so I think it would sit on a shelf.

Mel38--could you put me down for the Colfax Marathon on May 18? Thanks!!

Nic--enjoy that massage tomorrow!

MelW--that sounds like a difficult decision either way. I wish you much luck as you think about timing and what will work best for everyone.

RR: Ok, so I spent exactly zero minutes during either race contemplating what I resolve for 2014. I spent most of them being in the moment and trying to not inhale snow. But before I go further, my big news is that when they announced awards for the fastest male and female who did the Double, I was the fastest female!
joy.gif
I'm sure it's because I wore the polka-dotted Minnie Mouse skirt for the race, even if it had to go over a layer of fleece-lined tights and a second layer of running pants.
winky.gif

I may have been the only female to run both races. They haven't posted results yet. But I was the fastest!
energy.gif

Needless to say, other women cleaned my clock for AG placement and such for both the 5K and 10K. I wasn't really racing because I'd intended for this to be a supported long run, but I can't relax into an easy pace for a race either. The 5K was short, so my time was 25:14. They fixed the course for the 10K, where I managed 58:49. It was cold and snowing for the 5K, but the snow was heavier and blowing for the 10K, especially for the last few miles. I was pleased to see that in the 40-49 AG, the 10K winner was the woman who'd finished about 30 seconds ahead of me. I'm looking forward to that new bracket in June.

Combined time was 1:23:something (as opposed to the winning male Double's time of 1:09:something), but I snagged a $20 gift certificate to Sports Authority, sunglasses, a case of Kind bars (one of their DF kinds, even), and a case of Noosa Yoghurt, mostly for showing up and running two races in cold and snow! (The yogurt is one of those local, small-batch, using milk from pasture-fed cows sort of goodness, so I'm going to rely on my small supply of "digest-dairy supplements" and eat them.)

I'm hoping this lovely opening to 2014 is a good omen for everything else.

#38 ·
Real~Congrats! Have you had noosa??? It's soooo good...almost like eating ice cream. I am jealous. And, you know, happy to take some off your hands if necessary.
winky.gif

I hope everyone is managing to stay warm! It hasn't been too terribly cold here until this morning. But, geniuses that we are, we're heading up skiing.
cold.gif
I'm already freezing and all I did was stand outside filling the car up with gas.

DS comes back today, finally. I really have missed the little booger but it's been nice having some adult-only time with C, too. And it's been a lot easier to get my workouts in, that's for sure. Unfortunately, I did not get done nearly any of the things I was hoping to get done over the last week, but oh well. C will be back to traveling for work again this week (and the next several weeks) so I should have a little more time during the week.

rr~ I survived the first week of ironman training! I'm actually a little scared because it wasn't that bad and I know it's gonna get a whole lot worse! Week total: 1 run, 1 trainer ride, 1 core workout, and 3 (3!!!) swims. My arms feel like they're going to fall off. Ow. Yesterday's swim was with the tri club, who traditionally does a 5000 yd New Years swim. I did 2500 and called it more than enough (I only had 2300 on my schedule). Did I mention ouch?
orngtongue.gif

Posting from my phone, hopefully more later...

#39 ·
Congratulations to Real!! What an awesome time. I'll get that on the results as soon as I can get on the desktop. And put down your marathon in May.

Happy new year to my Dingo friends all over the world!! The days since Christmas have been busy and not exactly what I envisioned for 2014. Definitely not enough forward motion of any sort, but lots of time with family and friends.

kerc, an old friend of mine from 30 years ago visited us along with his wife, and they know your DH from grad school! What a small world. They both work at Princeton now, and are two very interesting and fun people to be around. I found their visit to be a source of inspiration, both personally and professionally. And musically. These two have never stopped looking for new and interesting bands, and I sort of gave up on the music scene. My iTunes playlist is on my list of things to spend time on. I need to quit complaining about bad top 40s radio stations and plug in my own tunes.

Gaye, you are also a person who inspires me with your positive outlook and energy!! I am looking forward to keeping up with your training:)

Keep warm out there!!

#40 ·
me to dh: Hey, which of your friends went to Princeton?

dh: names off three. the first one is a woman I know who did her B.A. there.

me: no, who went there AFTER Carolina?

dh: Oh, John.

me: you know that many people who went to Princeton?

ok so we had one kid out with a pseudo stomach flu Dec 30th ish.

One kid home from school on Friday who is about 75% now.

and we have a man down. I sure hope (a) that I don't get it and (b) that everyone recovers quickly.

Pray I don't get it.

Meanwhile. I'm contemplating a nordic ski. Somehow -6F feels warmer during the day than at night. (We've had below zero temperatures at night for a few weeks now).

#41 ·
Massage = awesome.

Attempt at long run on treadmill = total fail.

Snow sport turned into tubing rather than skiing, which was super fun.

Came home to leaky toilet (ugh), Costco and supermarket run, much laundry, and tomorrow life starts back up again. Ah, well. So long, vacation.

Hope all the dingoes are warm and safe.
:hippie

#42 ·
Subbing....

I wanna roll with the dingos in January! I might not chime in - but I am learning.

I want to get back to running more. I exercise a lot..... and usually run. But my best girlfriend's husband passed away a little over a year ago. I started going with her to the gym ( which I do not prefer!) to get her motivated. She was waking up a lot at night and I thought the activity would help. Fast forward a year and I have become a gym rat which I detest! I need to run.....I have actually had a dream about running and I NEVER dream.

Sooo...here is to you fabulous mom's. I will be running through January with you guys! ( I hope)

#43 ·
Welcome, lab! So nice to meet you. Nothing wrong with the gym! Forward motion is forward motion!

Speaking of forward motion, I am so ready to get some in tomorrow. This is not a complaint - bc, yes, this will seem really warm to many of you - but it's going to be 20 degrees in the morning for my first run in over a week. Yikes! Not sure I have clothes for that, though I know you bada$$ women could totally handle it. I'll probably just overdress in layers and shed along the way. Really psyched to run again.

Mel38, what a small world. Would love to hear what their music recs are.

MelW, I liked reading through your thought process re:move. Sounds like you worked out a few ideas in your head.
thumb.gif

Kerc, I can't stop thinking about you when I watch the weather. I even started googling spa retreats about midway between us - which is Kansas City.

Sparkle, I thought you meant 21 6yos, too. I had to think for a minute if we could find 21 6yos within our county, lol. Hope it was a fun time.

Nic, so glad you got that spa and massage visit!

Ds2 starts school tomorrow. He is so excited; lunch is packed. I'm a little envious. All I can think about is whether I should teach there or use this time at home to do grad work. I check the job website every single day. I found a grad school "nearby" in which I'd be able to get my masters in education in 2 years. Totally doable. I am an obsessive overthinker.

Stay warm and safe, Dingos.
cold.gif
If you need a break, I'll spruce up a bedroom for you!

#45 ·
Stay warm Midwest Dingos!
:cold

Welcome back Lab!

Real - I haven't researched much beyond the headlines that vitamins aren't any more effective than placebos but it does jibe with my own experience in which I can't honestly report ever having noticed any benefit from using vitamins. The only thing I've ever noticed has been fluorescent pee and sometimes the runs if I've gone overboard on Vit. C. Frankly I welcomed the news because I tended to feel like I was failing to do the best for my health and my kids' health by never remembering to take them in a regular way. And I'm always game to abandon an expensive and useless habit.

MelW - I think you're very astute to beware the lengthening of the first year doldrums if you and the kids stagger your arrival. And also of the social benefits of arriving as a unified force rather than single dad and then gallivanting wife a kids.
:eyesroll

I still feel like I'm warding off a cold, hopefully I will continue to prevail but I've got an ominous headache. So, no RR over the weekend. I'll be glad to send to little ones off on the school bus tomorrow, not that that will magically get me moving but I think we're all about ready to face the old routine.

#46 ·
Plady--interesting. I'm tempted to abandon my multi, but stick to a few others.

tjsmama--glad you had a nice time skiing. You're welcome to some of my Noosa if you'd like to come visit.
orngbiggrin.gif
It is really good, which is why I'm going to risk eating it despite my system's new aversion to dairy.

Nic--long treadmill runs are difficult even under the best of circumstances.

lofty--stay warm. The only reason I ventured out on Saturday was because I'd forked over money during a delusional spell in which I figured the weather would be fine for a January race.
lol.gif

Lab--welcome! No shame in being a gym rat. I usually prefer to run outside, but a lot of my runs are done around the gym's indoor track these days due to a variety of circumstances.

kerc--hope you stay warm and healthy. Stomach bugs stink.
goodvibes.gif

Results are up, and I was one of two women who ran the double. The other woman who ran both was also in the 30-39 age group and I beat her by about 8 minutes. I was also pleased to see I placed 4th in my age group for the 5K and 3rd for the 10K, with 25:11 and 58:45 respectively.

#47 ·
Lab, you are a great friend.

School's cancelled, university closed. It's still 20F and we have just a dusting of snow. It is windy and it's supposed to drop more. I'm running and interview today and tomorrow, though. Not sure what will happen. What a disaster.

#48 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geofizz View Post

Lab, you are a great friend.

School's cancelled, university closed. It's still 20F and we have just a dusting of snow. It is windy and it's supposed to drop more. I'm running and interview today and tomorrow, though. Not sure what will happen. What a disaster.
urgh.

hope you got in a good run!

My family is fighting said stomach bug. Dh slept basically all day yesterday and through the night. I have a conference to present at tomorrow and a paper to get resubmitted today and my porfolio for review (annual thing?) yeah that's due Wednesday. Did I mention the kids are home today? And probably tomorrow? (today is cold: 25F below out my leaky desk window. tomorrow predicted -4F for the high). oy.

#49 ·
Welcome back lab!

Geo - ugh! Hopefully you can at least get the run in.

lofty - layer up and you'll be just fine
smile.gif

We have a snow day today too. We got 14" yesterday and this morning it's -7. The Air Force base is even closed.

Reading - I finished The Kite Runner and loved it! Also Life After Life by Kate Atkinson, which I liked and didn't like at the same time. I was hoping to get back to the library today for more books, but it's closed too. Snowed in with no books! Ahhhh!!!

#50 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayGee View Post
Snowed in with no books! Ahhhh!!!
yikes2.gif

Stay warm everyone! These temps are insane, I tell you! I wouldn't begin to complain about the cold here - it's nothing in comparison to what practically the rest of the country is experiencing, but cold by our standards. I need to call my mom in TN - I am a little worried that she will try to hike in this weather... she's stubborn like that.

Welcome Lab!

Meeting with a pet sitter in an hour, then I plan to run. I am starting my training for a half distance tri on April 19, which is only 15 weeks away. I am not doing it for time goal, just to finish and give that distance a try. My biggest challenge is definitely getting enough time on the bike. Today is a 6 mile run.

#51 ·
I'm sitting in the dean's office waiting for the interviewee to finish. No way was I making two unnecessary trips across camps. The Polar Vortex has Arrived. It's now 0F with lots of wind. Still. Wimps. I am feeling good that 11 years into this working + parenting gig I got one thing figured out: I got a sitter lined up for today and tomorrow before they ever called off school. She showed up 7:45 this morning bright and cheery.

3/4 of the interview is proceeding. No run in sight, though, as I'm still on the hook for dinner tonight as well.

No books... OMG, not possible. Kindles? Does your library do electronic loans? Trade with neighbors? Write your own? What a disaster.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.