Lots to lose support thread? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 21 Old 01-19-2014, 03:42 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Hello! Is there a lots-to-lose support thread floating around anywhere? If not, let's make this one! Anyone in?

I have about 100 pounds I want to lose. Yikes! Would love some company on the long journey ahead of me!

My goals for this week are:

1. Go to bed by 11pm most nights. That should give me about 7-8 hours of sleep, though I sleep with my 3yo so, well, you know. :)

2. Drink 6-8 glasses of water.

3. Eat healthy lunches. My breakfasts and dinners are usually pretty healthy, but lunches I fall down on.

So that's what I'm focusing on for this week. Doable, right??? :)

#2 of 21 Old 01-20-2014, 07:40 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)

I am back up 10 pounds and counting, and that from being 3 pounds up from my low.  After I lost 40 pounds, that is so discouraging.  I need something outside a challenge to keep me motivated.  Being on a weight-loss team left me feeling guilty when I gained.  I don't want to be so hyper-focussed on weight, though that is important.  I maintained for 1.5yrs at a place I felt was a plateau.  I was so frusutrated, but now I would give anything to be frustrated in that same place again.

I do need to change my eating habits some, especially since I think I went through a metabolic shift.  I need to eat more veggies, not load up at dinner (which I don't really feel like cooking, but do for the fam and I end up eating too much which didn't used to be too much and ack!)  Reduce sugar intake, but honestly I will give up sugar entirely when pigs fly.  I am both hungrier than I was a year ago, and less able to maintain my weight on the same calorie load.

I need to exercise a little more.  I am hanging in there will my regular yoga (5-10 minutes, sometimes 15-20, but it helps!) and some walks, though I need more and more and more, especially since my body seems more sensitive to calories in the last few months.

Yes!  Water!  More water, less juice.  I crave cold juice and lots of it.  

So, now I am back to having 40 pounds to lose.  Is that a lot?  It seems like a lot.  I would love some company as well.  I'm in.

Give me a few minutes while I caffeinate.
#3 of 21 Old 01-21-2014, 09:25 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Sure, I'll join :)  My goal right now is to lose 80 lbs (from 240 down to 180).  I started a running program in early December and have been seeing my weight creeping back up due to increased muscle mass.  So I'm trying to look at it as losing inches, not necessarily pounds.

I volunteer for a horseback riding charity for disabled kids and they won't let me ride the horses until I'm under 200 lbs, so right now that's what I really want.  I was at 280ish when I started this weight loss program in July.

I started using Weight Watchers but have since switched to MyFitnessPal.  I also have a Fitbit, which shows me that I'm meeting my calorie burning goal every day, so I wish the weight would come off faster.

Mom to 2 boys, Ian (6) and Duncan (4)

HR goddess and Soapmaker - check my profile for a link to my lovely soap blog!

#4 of 21 Old 01-24-2014, 05:38 PM - Thread Starter

Yay! I'm not alone! :) Been a busy week so just getting back to this thread now. Hoping for a quieter week next week!

Quote:
 Originally Posted by SweetSilver View Post

I am back up 10 pounds and counting, and that from being 3 pounds up from my low.  After I lost 40 pounds, that is so discouraging.  I need something outside a challenge to keep me motivated.  Being on a weight-loss team left me feeling guilty when I gained.  I don't want to be so hyper-focussed on weight, though that is important.  I maintained for 1.5yrs at a place I felt was a plateau.  I was so frusutrated, but now I would give anything to be frustrated in that same place again.

Oh goodness I know that feeling! If I could go back in time and talk to myself at one of my lower-but-I-thought-too-high weights, I would!

Quote:

Originally Posted by SweetSilver View Post

I do need to change my eating habits some, especially since I think I went through a metabolic shift.  I need to eat more veggies, not load up at dinner (which I don't really feel like cooking, but do for the fam and I end up eating too much which didn't used to be too much and ack!)  Reduce sugar intake, but honestly I will give up sugar entirely when pigs fly.  I am both hungrier than I was a year ago, and less able to maintain my weight on the same calorie load.

It's interesting you talking about a metabolic shift. I've been at this weight for a few years now, no matter how badly I eat I don't seem to gain! When I was pregnant 4 years ago I gained, of course, but within weeks of giving birth I was back to this weight. About 7 years ago I was 30lb heavier, my highest ever, and worked to lose weight, got to the point I'm at, and got stuck here. I have heard about this idea of a set point for weight -I should probably look into that more.

Thing is, for years I've been scared to try and lose weight again because each time I do, I end up gaining it back and more to boot. Well, except that last time when I lost 30lb. Hmm. So I guess I do have evidence that I CAN lose weight and keep it off! Whoa. That's actually a really big revelation for me!

Quote:

So, now I am back to having 40 pounds to lose.  Is that a lot?  It seems like a lot.  I would love some company as well.  I'm in.

You're in! :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maitribb View Post

Sure, I'll join :)  My goal right now is to lose 80 lbs (from 240 down to 180).  I started a running program in early December and have been seeing my weight creeping back up due to increased muscle mass.  So I'm trying to look at it as losing inches, not necessarily pounds.

I volunteer for a horseback riding charity for disabled kids and they won't let me ride the horses until I'm under 200 lbs, so right now that's what I really want.  I was at 280ish when I started this weight loss program in July.

That's a wonderful motivation!! And congrats on how far you've come already!

So for me this week was OK. Busy, like I said, so I didn't focus as much on this as I'd hoped. For water I did good when I was home, but when I was out I didn't drink much. I did eat pretty healthy lunches most days - some high in fat, but I'm not focusing on fat or calories. As for getting to bed by 11pm?? Yeah, no. Up late working mostly, though some time wasting for sure. I'm tired. Trying to get to bed early tonight (10pm) and aim for 11pm again starting tomorrow.

So for next week, same goals. If I'm feeling really motivated I might start doing a food journal, but seeing as I struggled this week with my existing three goals I should probably just try and focus on those for another week! Baby steps get you there, right?? :)

#5 of 21 Old 01-25-2014, 03:15 PM

Chose to wash our very dirty car at home, thinking it would save us some money, and it turned out to be a bit of exercise as well.  Yippee!!  Clean car!  I just wish it looked shiny and new instead of tidy-but-crappy, but, hey, I don't like spending money on cars anyway.

Staying steady, weight-wise.  Better than the quick and seemingly unstoppable gain of the last few weeks.  Getting some moderate exercise through family walks through the forest trails on our property and the neighbor's, working (I'm a housekeeper) and cleaning cars.  Found a new Shiva Rea dvd from the library I'm eager to pop in.  Not now.  I'm pooped!

#6 of 21 Old 02-07-2014, 05:22 AM
DBZ

I wonder how you know you had a metabolic shift? My metabolism has always seemed a bit slow, but maybe I just want to place the blame there. I wonder if there is a really good way to increase your metabolism.

Kara, single mom of 4 girls (5, 8, 16 and 19) crochetsmilie.gif
Kids have strokes too! superhero.gif 

#7 of 21 Old 02-07-2014, 08:06 AM

For me, it's because I noticed that I'm gaining and heavier in general on less food than what I was maintaining with a couple years ago.  It's really just a guess.  I'm 44, so that possibility is not such a long shot.  In the end, it doesn't matter the what or why-- if I'm gaining, I'm gaining.  Which means I'm not exercising enough and I'm eating too much of the wrong things, plain and simple.

Thankfully I've been holding steady still, with a very slight loss.  I'll have to be content with that for now after all that's happened on the scale this last year.

#8 of 21 Old 02-08-2014, 06:02 PM

I have about 75-80 lbs I would like to lose . I have started with exercise doing the daily burn move which is dance so its fun and I look forward to it. My diet is the hardest part since I do t have alot of will power when.it comes to that unfortunately greensad.gif

Mother to  Joaquin 10-13-00ribboncesarean.gif , Israel 9-5-2008 hbac.gif Judah 01-26-11hbac.gif Jax 01-26-11ribboncesarean.gif
#9 of 21 Old 02-16-2014, 10:09 PM

I've been on these threads in the past and I have lost and gained a few times - very frustrating. I lose weight the most easily by going low carb but this is not sustainable. It helps me take the weight off but then I eventually need to go to a less sever diet and the weight comes back on. Trying to find something that really is more reasonable. I have about 50 pounds that I would like to lose. These are the same 50 lbs I lost last year and then gained back. I am literally the exact same weight I was when I started dieting last time. Oy. 

I do about 60 miles of biking or spin every week and I walk a bunch (about 15 miles a week) and I drink tons of water but I don;t seem to drop weight very easily even with watching calories and such. Its challenging for me because I want it to come off quickly (and super low carbs does do this) but I really want to try for something more reasonable this time around. 

Hope I can join you all on this journey!

#10 of 21 Old 04-11-2014, 08:28 PM
AAK

Quoted: 15 Post(s)

I am joining this.  I have about 45 pounds that need to go.  I would love it if I could lose 50.  I have been very frustrated lately about weight. 

Amy

Mom to three very active girls Anna (14), Kayla (11), Maya (8). 
#11 of 21 Old 04-11-2014, 10:22 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I have 70 lbs that I need to lose. Last year I lost a lot of weight but I've seemed to gain most of that back. I have tried different things to help but nothing has in the long run. I try to exercise but its a constant struggle with will power and fatigue. I try and eat right. Guess I need to do more research on it all. It's nice to have others to get you motivated. I think that's a problem I have. ... Motivation.

luxlove.gif Mommy to my 2 girls 2whistle.gif,joy.gif and 1 little boy thumbsuck.gif.  Wifey to my amazing stillheart.gif husband!  blowkiss.gif Loving my every moment of motherhood! 
#12 of 21 Old 04-15-2014, 07:10 AM
AAK

OK, well this is day 1 for me.  While I need to make changes that will eventually become a lifestyle, and I hope that whatever I do becomes just that, I am taking the next six weeks or so to see what I can do when I plan meals, track what I eat, and track what I do.  After six weeks, I will reevaluate.  If I am losing, I will continue with what I am doing.  If not, I am making an appt for some bloodwork or with a nutritionist.  I have had bloodworm done in the past regarding thyroid, etc but it was several years ago.  There are thyroid issues in our family, and I have some signs of it.  However, I have also had some negative medical issues that probably affected my weight too.  I am hoping that I am on the other side of that journey.  I really hope this next six weeks shows a nice loss.  I would rather just need to be diligent to lose weight rather than need to try to find a problem.  As much as I would love the 2lb/week loss, I will be happy with 1 lb/week average loss.  

Starting weight as of this morning:  181.4

Wish me luck,

Amy

#13 of 21 Old 04-15-2014, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AAK View Post

Starting weight as of this morning:  181.4

Wish me luck,

Amy

:blowkiss Good luck!

#14 of 21 Old 04-15-2014, 08:59 AM

OK, I weighed myself this morning and I weigh around 161#.  That doesn't sound so bad as far as "lots to lose" but understand that I am just shy of 5'3" with a petite frame.  In high school that meant 105#, adult weight 115-120.  I would settle for just under 130.

I've been much more conscientious regarding sugar, but not active with doing anything about it.  But getting better.  More veggies and fruits.  No white bread, even though it's delicious "artisan" bread from a fabulous bakery in Seattle (especially because it's delicious artisan bread!)

Feeling a mite more energetic recently, away from the winter doldrums.  I'm still feeling a little lazy because I'm deep into reading the Game of Thrones series, and dang! those books are long and engrossing! On book#5, so when I finish that I will have some adjustment and won't have an excuse to plop on my ass for "just one more chapter".  And no book #6--yet!

#15 of 21 Old 04-18-2014, 11:08 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

I need to lose 50 lbs. Let's start with 10 and then another 10.
Strength to all in their journey.

wash.gif  Me  + bikenew.gif Dh =  broc1.gif  Dd1(9 yrs) + hearts.gif  Dd2(6 yrs) and blowkiss.gif Ds(3.5 yrs)
#16 of 21 Old 04-18-2014, 11:34 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I wish I had a scale so I can check my progress but I don't know what happened to it. I think it got lost in the move. Guess I need to get another one. Lol

luxlove.gif Mommy to my 2 girls 2whistle.gif,joy.gif and 1 little boy thumbsuck.gif.  Wifey to my amazing stillheart.gif husband!  blowkiss.gif Loving my every moment of motherhood! 
#17 of 21 Old 04-20-2014, 08:21 AM - Thread Starter

Wow, I've been completely ignoring this thread, whoops! And, of course, also not making much progress on the weight loss front. *sigh* So I'm popping by here to read up and get motivated. Oh! I just found this site a while ago - halfsizeme.com/ - the podcast is very inspiring! I've been listening to it on walks, when I've managed to fit them in.

Been enjoying too much Easter chocolate lately (yeah, eating it before Easter too!). I think I've almost eaten enough that I'm done with it now!

#18 of 21 Old 04-22-2014, 05:08 PM
AAK

Quote:
Originally Posted by chocolove View Post

Been enjoying too much Easter chocolate lately (yeah, eating it before Easter too!). I think I've almost eaten enough that I'm done with it now!

Me too.  Perhaps the week before Easter wasn't the best time to start.  My weight this morning was 182.0 --up .6 from last week.  I do think that tracking my food made it so I didn't gain 5!  Here's to the weeks to come.  

Amy

#19 of 21 Old 04-25-2014, 09:28 AM

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)

It looks like this thread has slown down a bit. Want to get some increased motivation? Come join the 8 week weight loss challenge 15.  I know I have lots to lose still.  At 220 pounds, my ultimate goal is supposed to be 169 pounds for my height so that is 51 pounds. I would be happy at 190 pounds but that is still 30 pounds to lose.

Come on over and join in http://www.mothering.com/community/t/1401028/8-week-healthy-weight-loss-challenge-number-15-starts-april-28-join-anytime

Crafty Geeky lady (37, hypothyroid) married 7/2010 love of my life (42, azoospermia). I believe in MIRACLES! Twin boys born 12/21/13 at 40 weeks 2 days! 3/52 crafts in 2014 Ramsey's BS1: Done! 2/17/12 BS 2 goal: 6/7/17 no sperm initial DX 3/23/12 BFP 4/7/13!
#20 of 21 Old 04-25-2014, 05:58 PM

I have lost almost 20 lbs but sadly that was do to a bacterial infection ;(, hoping to lose the rest of this weight the healthy way.

Mother to  Joaquin 10-13-00ribboncesarean.gif , Israel 9-5-2008 hbac.gif Judah 01-26-11hbac.gif Jax 01-26-11ribboncesarean.gif
#21 of 21 Old 05-17-2014, 03:33 AM

Seems like im not the only one getting worried about my bulging tummy :( ................... Hey Amy do share with us how your exercise plan is working. If its working, I am surely going for this one too 

Tags
Weight Management

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page