5-2 diet? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 26 Old 01-20-2014, 01:33 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Has anyone tried this? It's sometimes called intermittent fasting.

I'm not one for fad diets, but I heard Diane Rehm talking about this on NPR, saying that she's doing it and having good results, so I checked into it. Basically you eat normally for 5 days of the week, and then on 2 non-consecutive days you keep your caloric intake under 500 calories. On the 5 days of normal eating, you don't go hog wild, but it's fine if you choose to indulge in a bit of dessert or whatever -- you really aren't supposed to be that concerned about calories on those days.

This appeals to me because, although I've had success with Weight Watchers in the past, I get calorie-counting-fatigue from having to always track everything, every day. I like that with this way of eating, you just count calories twice a week.

Anyway, I've been doing it for about 3 weeks now, and have lost 7 pounds, and I'm finding it really easy. I'm a bit hungry on the "fasting" days (although protein helps with that), but knowing that I can literally have anything I want the very next day helps me not get too obsessed with the hunger, and I haven't had the urge to go nuts and binge on the non-fasting days, although I have had a cookie here and there.

The researchers Diane Rehm interviewed talked a lot about how eating this way puts your body into repair mode instead of starvation mode, and how intermittent fasting can help with overall organ health, prevent dementia, and all sorts of other stuff. I'm not sure how credible those claims are, but from a weight loss standpoint I'm clearly ending up with a calorie deficit each week, since the weight is coming off at a reasonable 2-pounds-per-week pace.

Anyway, just wondering if anyone else has tried this.

DH+Me 1994 heartbeat.gif DS 2004 heartbeat.gif DD 2008 heartbeat.gif DDog 2014
#2 of 26 Old 02-01-2014, 04:30 PM

Mentioned: 146 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
I like Diane rehm!. I have not done it but congrats on the 7 pounds. I was thinking of doing something similar I think I read on wellnessmama.
#3 of 26 Old 02-02-2014, 06:41 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Yes and I really like it.  I watched a BBC show about it and was pretty convinced it would be good for me. 

#4 of 26 Old 03-29-2014, 01:31 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
There's a great Facebook group for people who do 5-2. It's been on my radar for awhile. As soon as I figure out exactly which foods I'm allergic to. smile.gif

AP Mom to 5 knit.gifhomeschool.giftoddler.gif

#5 of 26 Old 03-29-2014, 02:35 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've never heard of it. Sounds like something I would be interested in doing.
#6 of 26 Old 03-29-2014, 08:31 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Would you exercise during those days?

Looking at 5:2 diet recipes and lots of them look good! I think I'd like to try!

French Canadian living in the Big Easy. Happy mama to Jaxson Lee born on 9/16/12 and loving wife to Denis Lee since 11/03/11

Lovesbikenew.giftreehugger.gifwhistling.gifnamaste.gifteapot2.GIFread.gifdishes.gifchampagne.gifeat.gifcoolshine.gifROTFLMAO.gifnotes.gifjog.gifbroc1.gifstillheart.gifbiggrinbounce.gifRainbow.gifcaffix.gifand all that good stuff

#7 of 26 Old 03-30-2014, 09:59 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Some people do, but your energy may be low, so I'd not exercise too hard on the fast days.
Jaxy likes this.

AP Mom to 5 knit.gifhomeschool.giftoddler.gif

#8 of 26 Old 04-02-2014, 10:42 PM

Quoted: 126 Post(s)
I've been trying this. I read a book on it and it sounds interesting.

I work quite hard and I find I'm grumpy on proper fasting days so I haven't had massive success yet. Lost a couple of pounds, but I always do even just by weighing myself regularly.

Mother of two living in UK. Daughter (2007) born in USA, son (2010) born here. I'm pro natural birth, midwife care, breastfeeding, co-sleeping, baby wearing and a keen advocate of cloth diapering. I'm a full time working research scientist (physical sciences) and I'm pro-vaccine.

#9 of 26 Old 04-03-2014, 01:01 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

yes i did try back in August ... but then i had emergency surgery on one eye and also coping with various emotional issues

... so i stopped, then switched to the Harcombe way of eating (books by a British Nutritionist who had food issues before studying to become a dietician)

which worked better for me for a while

now am back on to 5:2

which has been hugely popular in the UK for the last two years (a BBC program was first broadcast during the London olympic presented by a medical doctor/journalist who used himself as a guinea pig, trying out different way of fasting to see which one was the least hard & compatible with normal everyday life)

basically i think both of these diets make sense and are rather simple to follow => i'm back to a BMI of 25,

(i lost about 10 kilos since last August, mainly with Harcombe, not feeling hungry, appreciating my food, no feeling of deprivation as can happen on the 5:2 since i have sleep issue and sometimes go through phases of night time emotional eating, which can get worse when on the 5:2)

but now trying to loose another 8 to 9 lb so as to get nearer, the BMI 22.5 mark

both diets, 5:2 or Harcombe, are good to try + most of the information can be had from the internet, searching websites for FAQs or people explaining what worked for them & what didn't work and why and how they got on with it .... so ... no need to spend money on books (although it helps to have it conveniently all together in print) & just eat "regular" food ...

(am using psyllium though, from the health food shop on my semi fasting days, it helps with providing fiber as well as feeling full ...)

#10 of 26 Old 04-05-2014, 01:37 PM

IsaFrench I'm very interested in that Harcombe diet! I think it would suit me better as I like being active and fasting is just too hard when you are active like I am...

Thank you so much!

If you have any tips, let me know :)

French Canadian living in the Big Easy. Happy mama to Jaxson Lee born on 9/16/12 and loving wife to Denis Lee since 11/03/11

Lovesbikenew.giftreehugger.gifwhistling.gifnamaste.gifteapot2.GIFread.gifdishes.gifchampagne.gifeat.gifcoolshine.gifROTFLMAO.gifnotes.gifjog.gifbroc1.gifstillheart.gifbiggrinbounce.gifRainbow.gifcaffix.gifand all that good stuff

#11 of 26 Old 04-05-2014, 05:40 PM

Harcombe eating plan

first 5 days (only)

eat unlimited quantity (enough at each 3 meals so that you are not hungry in between) of

protein

+ vegetables (not potatoes nor mushrooms but tomatoe and olives, yes ....)

+ olive oil + butter

+ natural live yogurt (with no lactose in the ingredients list, just milk and ferments)

plus either 50 grams of brown rice or oats or quinoa per day

the food you are allowed to eat must be in its most natural form (most transformed food contain sugar in various forms ... those words ending in ... ose in the ingredients list)

so quit eating fruits, most dairy, wheat in any form, sweeteners, cafein

drink a lot of water, herbal tea, decafeinated tea or coffe (served without milk, without sugar)

this exclusion diet for 5 days helps detox the body (am sure it changes the biochemistry of the brain too ... = the body stops acting like a "drug addict" around food)

then phase 2

re-introduce (gradually if you can) fruits, other starches/cereals (including wheat)

only 3 rules to follow for phase 2

- eat food in its most natural form (to avoid hidden sugars in processed food & additives etc ...)

- do not mix fat meals and starches meals + leave 4 to 5 hours in between those two types of meals

so when you eat meat or fish or egg, you eat veggies (but no potatoes, bread, pasta, rice, etc ...)

when you want to eat starches (potatoes, wheat, rice etc .... ) you can eat any veggies with it and 0% fat yogurt or 0% fat milk, and fruit

(so fruit only with startches not after a "fat meal" ...

only exception to that are berries :raspberries, strawberries,etc .... are allowed after a fat meal -with cream if you can digest it

- do not eat food for which you have compulsions

in phase 2 if you stop loosing weight ... it's likely you have re-introduced too early one or several types of food you cannot digest properly (= causing water weight gain)

so go back to a few days of "phase 1 menu" and try re-introducing food even more gradually

so as to work out which food cause weight gain (different for every one .... but wheat for most people ... and not a good combination when eaten with milk, as in breakfast cereals from the super market basically ....)

when you've lost all the weight, phase 3 ... "cheat" (= mix fats and starches)

if you cheat a lot and often, you put back on the weight

if it's only occasional, you maintain your weight loss

#12 of 26 Old 04-05-2014, 10:33 PM

Thx for the elaborate and fast reply!

I was wondering if you have to eat the meals in a certain order? Like fat, carb, fat? Or is there restriction like only a carb meal a day or something like that?

Thx again!

Also, can I start on caffeine, sweeteners (like honey) in moderation after the 5 dys or is that still prohibited in the diet?

#13 of 26 Old 04-06-2014, 12:25 AM

one coffe cup a day allowed after the 5 first days if you cannot do without (or two max, early in the day)

if possible no sweentener at all (if you must, rather together with a carb meal then)

no specific order for fat or carb meals, as you prefer, just 4 to 5 hours time between types of meals

(= if you need a snack in between, try to stick to the "type"of meals each "side")

the only restriction regarding carbs is in the first 5 days with the limited quantity (50 grams) .... but then you can divide the portion & can even do stir fry with the brown rice + olive oil (thus not following rule 2 of phase 2 ... but then Harcombe thinks that it might be too hard during the first 5 days if not "breaking" rule 2 of phase 2 ....

one of the books she's written is "stop counting calories & start loosing weight" or a similar title

i learned a lot by reading replies on the forum & FAQs

(i registered on line, but it's free, or at least was free at the end of 2013 ....)

http://theharcombediet.com/the-diet/faqs/

i think there's still a way to register for free somewhere ... (hidden behind the comercial offers)

http://www.theharcombedietclub.com/forum/content.php

#14 of 26 Old 04-06-2014, 05:34 AM

Ok cool! Because all I need is one cup a day, but I sure need it (most of the time lol).

Will start tomorrow (although today I do have an all-carb meal already ready!

Sounds good!

Last question, I don't drink cow milk at all, but I do drink a little low fat almond milk. That good?

#15 of 26 Old 04-06-2014, 10:46 PM

apparently

http://www.theharcombedietclub.com/forum/showthread.php?20197-Almond-milk-ok-in-phase-1

almond milk has both carbs and sugar in it ... so that would be considered "mixing" (rule 2 of phase 2) ... and then sugar is a no-no ....

but then ... for people who cannot to with red wine, one or two glasses are allowed per week in phase 2 ... so, if that is you only variant from the food list/rules .... you could try & with a bit of luck, and not much in quantity it wouldn't impair your weight loss ....

from this discussion,

http://www.theharcombedietclub.com/forum/showthread.php?7775-Almond-milk

i see that some people use it as part of a carb meal ....

#16 of 26 Old 04-08-2014, 09:25 PM

#17 of 26 Old 04-09-2014, 08:59 PM

Thank you so much Isa!

I've been doing all right during the day, but then the evening comes and I feel ravenous. Tonight I had some yogourt but the last few nights I just ate anything that I could put my hands on :( Not good... BUT it's in the past and I will do my best to clean my diet.

I love the fact that there is sooo much veggies :)

#18 of 26 Old 04-09-2014, 10:21 PM

i understand "feeling ravenous" ....these last 2 days i tried doing two days back to back of the 5:2 diet....

it would have gone all right if i could have gone to bed earlier .... but 

- i had to "have a fit" in order to get DD1 to leave her phone alone and go and get a bath ... and other various issues (so as not to go to bed too late  ....)

- i had not finished sewing paper circles covered in aluminum foil onto a dress for DD2 school carnival costume for today (I had thought i could have used some princess dresses i was passed down, by just taking up an inch or two at the waist but she wasn't interested AT ALL and wanted a purple DALEK costume .... I don''t watch Doctor Who on TV so had to enlist the help of DH, DD1 and DD2 in order to have a brainstorming session & to know how big the aluminum circles, where to place them, and what to use from the recyling bag to make the paper mask ...)

so i ended up finishing sewing in front of the TV, then caught a program i like so knitted a good hour and a half on top of it instead of sleeping = NOT good 

& i ended up eating some left over meat in the middle of the night !!!

about feeling ravenous on the Harcombe diet .... are you already on phase 2 ?

if you are still of phase 1, it could be your body's reaction to feeling deprived from whatever it is "addicted" to, which you are cutting out for the first 5 days = second or third day is notoriously HARD (various symptoms for various people) but hand on in there, by day 4 or day 5 of phase 1 you should start to feel much better and vay less addicted to food !!!

yes, the trick is to have huge platter of vegetables when eating protein, & i would add a good large spoonful of olive oil on my mount of veggies (or even coconut oil at one point, but i've run out ... taking coconut oil on food with NO starch at all does help loose weigh, quite a lot ...)

DD2 is up so i need to leave the computer ...

#19 of 26 Old 04-09-2014, 11:53 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)

This is interesting, but I don't think I understand the yogurt that has milk but no lactose?  Is the lactose broken down by the fermentation?

I might try the Harcombe thing.  I'm not really into dieting, but I really want to eat more vegetables and cut out starches, and I'm addicted to starch, especially if it's fried in oil.  I ate half a bag of plantain chips today.

#20 of 26 Old 04-10-2014, 02:57 AM

yogurt .... it's not that it doesn' have lactose ... since it has milk, it has some i suppose, what is meant is that it's advised with the Harcombe eating plan, to choose yogurts by looking at the list of ingredients = select those that only have milk+ ferments in the list of ingredients (supposedly, if it's written "lactose" in the ingredient list, it's a way for the people making the yogurts to add some sugar in them, without having to write the word "sugar" .....)

.... since food selection in general is based on "select food in the most natural form possible" = porridge oats instead of commercial breakfast cereals ...., real fish instead of fish fingers, real poultry instead of chicken nuggets etc ....so ..;yogurt with no added sugar, yogurts that are "just yogurt" (milk + ferments)

one of the principles of the diet is to separate meals which contain fats from meals which contain starches (and sugar from fruits in phase 2) ...

so i have two kinds of yogurts in my fridge now

- 0% fat yogurts for mornings with porridge and fruits

- "normal" plain yogurts for the other meals or afternoon snacks ....( amongst fruits, only berries are allowed after a fat meal, so it's possible the have strawberries + ordinary yogurt + cream after a fat meal ... where i live, i can buy frozen pieces of raspberries .... that's what i usually have, it's convenient & i like it )

+ it's also to combat the addictive effect of ingesting ready made food in which sugar has been added (not only for keeping better or for taste, but also to make people CRAVE some more thus spend more money on food etc ....)

#21 of 26 Old 04-13-2014, 06:04 AM

Isa I've been bad and haven't done the phase 1... I did a 3 week cleanse back in January and I just didn't want to do it again lolll... But I know I should, besides it's only 5 days... I will do it starting May 1rst, since my parents will be gone and should be back to some kind of routine. Right now i'm just adjusting and juggling with the Harcombe diet to see if it would fit my lifestyle (and I think it will!).

One thing I did not understand is that in one of the recipe "books" they recommended a paella, which mixes rice and seafood... How is that supposed to work? Wouldn't that be mixing fats and carbs!?

#22 of 26 Old 04-14-2014, 02:45 AM

well ... you don't "have to" do phase 1 if it doesn't fit in your present lifestyle

.... i mean, it's advisable so as to rid the body of some "auto-pilot food bad habits"

...but i know a handyman who was very happy to show me on a return visit that he had lost one notch on his belt by just getting on phase 2 for a few weeks (which helped him loose the little excess he had put during the Christmas festivities ...)

i've found a paella recipe on page 4 of this document off this link

http://theharcombedietclub.co.uk/assets/downloads/pdfs/Sign-up-letter0910.pdf

but it is a phase 1 recipe ... (when you can use fat to stir fry the rice ... so adding sea food isn't that much of a problem then .....)

also in this discussion

http://www.netmums.com/coffeehouse/woman-504/sport-diet-fitness-613/411088-harcombe-diet-all.html

(net mums is a newish forum in the UK, very popular i'm told )

i found that list of suggestions for phase 1 meals

Anyway, a few suggestions for phase 1 from the book are:

Breakfast
Bacon and eggs (I also have peppers, onions and tomatoes)
scrambled eggs made with butter
plain or ham omelette
natural live yoghurt with a few optional sunflower or other seeds
kedgeree - fish and brown rice

Main meals
asparagus in butter
char grilled veg
veg kebabs
selection of soups
salad nicoise
salmon nicoise
any amount of meat and salad/veg
any amount of fish or seafood and salad/veg
egg and/or meat salad
meat and stir fry veg
tofu and veg in momemade tom sauce
roast leg of lamb with rosemary and veg
roast chicken with garlic or lemon
stuffed tomatoes
stuffed peppers
rice and stir fry veg
tofu and stir fry veg
butternut squash curry and brown rice (this is YUMMY!)
paella

just wanted to add that i don't really like brown rice so for breakfast i usually prefer 50 grams (uncooked weight) of porridge ....

but then, if you want to eat paella .... not a porridge day, have a "rice day" instead .....

#23 of 26 Old 04-14-2014, 02:52 AM

there's also a discussion in the archives about paella in phase 3 .... or 2 for some people ....

take a look http://www.theharcombedietclub.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-18262.html

to make up your own mind !

+ i found the jan issue of the free magazine stored somewhere in my computer, so send me a PM with you e-mail if you want me to send you the document  .... (if you've read the april issue and are interested to read more ....)

#24 of 26 Old 05-16-2014, 07:42 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks. Im definitely going to do this summer

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

Unassisted birthing, atheist, poly, bi WOHM to 4 wonderful, smart homeschooling kids Wes (14) Seth (7) Pandora Moonlilly (2) and Nevermore Stargazer (11/2012)  Married to awesome SAH DH.

#25 of 26 Old 05-20-2014, 10:43 PM

about "starch meals" for the Harcombe eating plan ... i had to take a closer look at the recipe book after a friend asked me for ideas for phase 2 (she's been delighted with her results for the first two weeks, after doing phase 1 for 5 days then switching to phase 2 ...)

and then i realised that whatever veggies served with a starch meal on phase two ... usually the recipe starts with some cut up onions and spices IN ONE TEASPOON ONLY of olive oil to cook the veggies (for 4 people) before serving out with whatever starch is choosen ....

have been slipping quite a lot lately (baking for my children or friends ... then tasting all these mixed fat + startches concoctions ...) so a couple of pounds have crept up and i would have liked to loose at least another 4 ... so 6 lb to go now, BUT i know that if i follow the plan strictly, i can do it ....

#26 of 26 Old 05-20-2014, 10:53 PM

forgot to mention that i'm trying to use BOTH the Harcombe and the 5:2 diet

= this morning i 've just had a "fat meal" (meat in tomatoe sauce and green beans, left overs from last night) of about 250 cal

with white coffee and tea (no sugar)

and tonight i'll have a "starch meal " (50 gr of oats with some 0% fat yogurt and some fruit mixed in, eithe frozen raspberries, or a grated apple ... or whatever i'll buy on the market this morning ....)

tried the JUDDD approach the last 2 weeks but it triggered night time bingeing in me

(usually on cheese, but lately with the baught-for-the-children shop baught cookies  ... = am not happy with myself !)

will have to see if i can tackle the difficult family issues i'm facing in another way than with emotional eating at night whilst knitting somethings i absolutely don't "need" to knit in front of the TV instead of sleeping enough ... (mind you, at least i don't smoke, don't drink, don't do drugs ....)

roughtly Juddd is just one notch above 5:2  being more careful with numbers on non fasting days

Monday, Wedn, Friday, 500 cal only (à la 5:2, with an extended day time fast)

Tuesday, Thursday and one of the week end day : about 1800 cal with no fasting (or whatever number of calories applies to you depending on your needs)

the other week end day, = a 5:2 day but with a few more calories, about 800, spread between a morning meal and an evening meal ....

results are said to be much faster on JUDDD than on 5:2 ....

Tags
Weight Management

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page