Post Pregnancy Can't lose weight or Can't lose weight while Breastfeeding.... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-28-2014, 01:42 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I wanted to start a new thread for the few women who are truly having a hard time losing weight while breastfeeding or even if you're not nursing & just Post Pregers weight loss in general.  When I say "truly" I am talking about giving something your all, daily exercise, eating smaller healthy portions & not having weight loss of any kind. 

When talking with other women & two of my sisters actually, we were all pregnant around the same time; I discovered that a lot of women who couldn't lose would say, "Well, I'm eating out too much" or "I'm not exactly exercising or trying to lose though..."  Its totally fine to not be panicked about it or be in a rush to lose weight, you're more important than your weight! :)  However, if there are people like me, who eat super healthy, fruits-veggies-lean meats & few healthy grains, it might be SUPER frustrating to not see the scale do anything.  It really bothers me when people say, "You can't expect it to all fall off overnight..."  DUH... who expects that?  I"m talking I worked really HARD with daily speed walking with a double stroller, some of it hiking on trails, most days 3,4 & even 5 miles a day sometimes.  Plus eating really healthy AND NURSING.... and NO weight loss after a year.  That is not me expecting something overnight.  Then people say, "well, maybe you're not eating enough... well, maybe you're eating too much..."  And I understand they are trying to help, I really do.  But lets just say that if you exercise & eat healthy & watch your grains so you're not getting too many outlandish carbohydrates... losing weight just shouldn't be so hard.  You work out, you eat healthy, you lose weight.  Especially while you nurse for goodness sake!!!

So my youngest just stopped nursing a few months ago, she weened herself overnight almost haha, silly girl.  Anyway so 3 months later & for the last month I went really strict on the Zone Diet, which is not a Diet but a way of eating.  Its NOT low carb, its NOT high Protein, its just a super healthy balanced approach to eating.  An example for a snack would be 5 thin slices of Mesquite Smoked Turkey (mmmmm) half a big orange & 4 Blue Diamond Almonds.  It doesn't sound like much but its amazing how filling it is!  And that is just a snack, for lunch I have a low carb Whole Wheat wrap (with loads of Spinach, more Mesquite Smoked Turkey, half an Avocado, salt & pepper) & half a piece of fruit (or a few cups of veggies for my carbs rather than the fruit.)  It is SOOOO filling and you really feel your body burning through your food, it also gives me lots of energy. 

Anyway, I saw lots of posts that were super old on this topic so, if you are like me & you really are trying your best & aren't losing, try the Zone.  There are lots of books on Amazon and I started with "A Week In The Zone" its simple and a really good read.  You can totally customize it too for being pregnant or nursing, he tells you how much to add to each meal or snack depending on if you're Nursing or Pregnant.  Also keep in mind everyone is different, some women lose all their weight in the two weeks after & its their body and genetics that do that for them, not because they are super awesome or eat better than the rest of us who don't lose right away.  The Zone is all about how the different things you eat effect the insulin your body pumps out - which keeps your levels higher or lower depending on what you eat.  For instance the more grains, breads, starches & sugars you eat the higher your levels will be and the harder it will be to lose weight.  Two people can both eat a 1,200 calorie a day diet with the same genetics and have way different outcomes depending on WHAT foods they're eating & how it's effecting their insulin. 

ANYWAY, super good read!  I've lost 5 pounds in the last 3 weeks and my clothes are super baggy... I'm hoping it will continue.  He talks about how you will lose 100% body fat and not water or muscle like on Low Carb or super Low Calorie HCG type diets so, don't expect 5 pounds a week.  He says the most fat you can lose in a week is 1-2 pounds & that's the only way for permanent loss is fat loss.  I was already eating balanced before reading this book but I don't think I was always eating the best things for my insulin levels if that makes sense. :)  Even a few fruits & veggies promote high insulin response so, his books are just a wealth of knowledge!! Also it could be helping that I'm not nursing anymore too, as far as my body letting go of stored fat now too.  Who knows but I do know I feel much better & my tummy looks much better!  I did really well with both my babies and gained 35 with my first, 25 with my second, but had them SUPER back to back so didn't get a chance to lose with the first, before I got pregnant with my second. :)  It is better to eat this way during pregnancy so you gain a healthy amount but not too much, that way you won't have much to lose at all!  I have 30lbs to lose because of the two put together & it has not gone anywhere in the last year and 3 months.  He also talks about genetics in the Zone books & how some people can eat super high carbs and not have any issues what so ever, but about 75% of Americans just don't have that super awesome metabolism makeup.  So when you know someone who eats her body weight in goodies & pasta but is super skinny - she's that 25% that has awesome genetics & they just don't have much of an insulin response to anything! :)  LUCKY!!! :)

Oh!!!  Also he says caffeine can raise your insulin levels too because its a stimulant, even without all the sugar & cream & stuff, so keep that in mind when you're having caffeine in any form.  Anyway it helped me and I just wanted to put this info out there.  For the last year I've been looking around for chats like this for help, hope I can help someone! :)  And keep in mind that everyone is different too, my sister gained 60 lbs with her first baby and she is back to thinner than her post pregnancy weight & he is only a year old.  Her weight just literally FELL off haha with no dieting but like I said, everyone is different.  I also think there are women who gain much more than the recommended 25-35 and its healthy & just how their body creates life.  I'm just sharing my experience.

Happy baby weight losing! ;)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-31-2014, 11:55 AM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Hello! I moved this thread to Fitness and Weight Management because it seems like a better fit here. I hope this starts a great discussion!

Married to a wonderful woman since 2010. Baby boy C arrived in June 2013!

Check out our User Agreement.

User Tag List