Running toward an early spring (we hope)! The February 2014 Dingo thread - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 145 Old 02-08-2014, 04:09 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Lazy day here too, kerc. I did kick the soccer ball with DH in the basement for for 30 minutes and worked up a good sweat. DD1 has two friends over for a sleepover tonight, DD2 has a late indoor soccer game. Now watching women's hockey.

~~Kristina~~ Mama to DS(10/30/01), DD1(VBAC 3/28/04) and DD2(HBAC 5/21/06)
#62 of 145 Old 02-08-2014, 04:49 PM

Nic great report. I would have been flummoxed by the nudies too.

What a horrible meeting! Ignoring such real experiences. A few minutes will not derail. I understand sticking to protocol, but still.

I got 3 1/2 today. But I felt like my legs were so leaden. My ankle held up fine, but my legs were like running through water.

Dd went to the 4th grade class of our local public school and gave a presentation on her bee project that went to state last year in 4h. She was super nervous at first, very quiet and uncertain. But she warmed up and by the end was laughing and talking easily with the group. She's a year older than these kids, but they seemed so young to me. It was a good opportunity for her.
#63 of 145 Old 02-08-2014, 04:52 PM

Kerc - awesome school feedback. There is nothing sweeter than people genuinely liking our kids.

Vday - ugh. I suck at sentimental stuff. We've been together since 1997. Does time really kill romance? I dunno, I don't think I was more romantic then either. Maybe a little more energetic. Dh is more romantic, or at least he used to be...
#64 of 145 Old 02-08-2014, 04:54 PM

Have you guys noticed you can see who is viewing the thread? It lists member names...plus 1 guest. Wonder who's reading.
#65 of 145 Old 02-08-2014, 07:22 PM

Cool run keeper data maps: http://www.policymic.com/articles/81395/mesmerizing-maps-of-where-people-jog-reveal-something-odd-a-city-s-rich-and-poor-neighborhoods

"Guess what? It's a magical world. And when I sing, my songs are in it."
Madly in love with my 7 and 4 year old daughters

#66 of 145 Old 02-09-2014, 12:37 AM

MelW--interesting link!

BBM--maybe a Dingo just isn't logged in? I've accidentally read as a guest before when my computer logged me out somehow, and only discovered I was a guest when I went to post.

bec--hope they did well today!

RR: 11 miles, 7.25 outside in sun (sun! melting snow!) and then the rest on the treadmill after book group.

I didn't go to the school board meeting this morning, but it was ugly and short. The short version: they pushed our superintendent to leave months earlier than planned. She said "by the end of the month" but within an hour the board president was saying Feb. 21 and that she'd be put on administrative leave 'til the end of the month. This is a nationally-recognized superintendent who's worked for the district for 40 years, and whose relationship with the district began when she started kindergarten in the very district she now leads. Supporters were out in full force this morning, and they were vocal. Meanwhile, the board president is saying he won't appoint an interim superintendent and the four top district officials will report directly to the board. We haven't even started the superintendent search yet.

Lisa  caffix.gif and her wonderful girls: R (9) violin.gif &  J (3-3/4) coolshine.gif 
#67 of 145 Old 02-09-2014, 05:08 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Bbm, I browse on stealth mode. I think I view as not logged in even when I am. I find it creepy that you could see which threads I was reading. Congrats to your daughter! How did I have her off a grade level? What did she think of the classroom environment?

Lisa, your district is amazing.so glad to have you around to give me a sense of a yard stick on just how off an board can get. Our district just released the raw data from their "efficiency survey," including all comments. Let's just say that when we complain about lack on instruction of logic or grammar, this clearly isn't a new issue.

Kerc, your kids are awesome. What a lovely think to have others recognize it, and better yet, have an environment full other kids equally kind.

Gym yesterday. That needs to happen more often.
#68 of 145 Old 02-09-2014, 06:11 AM

Geo that makes sense... I think I'm a little creeped out by how little privacy we have.

she's 5th grade, did you think she was 6th? Or did you think I meant she was 4th. I have people comment all the time about how mature she is, I thought they were responding more to how tall she is, until I saw the other kids in action. Then I wondered.

Heading out. I'm definitely chanting don't think, just run.
#69 of 145 Old 02-09-2014, 06:47 AM

From what you post to fb, I'd assumed 6th grade based on her maturity and the work she does.
Also, a lot of message boards often fail to differentiate between bots and people. So some of the "people" viewing might just be the programs that troll, copy, and index.
#70 of 145 Old 02-09-2014, 07:06 AM

Good morning mamas,

Checking in from Mexico.  It is very warm and lovely here which is a big relief.  I overpacked warm clothes but I was apparently scarred from our last trip down when it snowed and rained and was freezing the whole time.  What hasn't changed from last time is the weirdness of sharing space with our tenant who is a long time loner with AR tendencies.  It is such a fine line to walk, trying to be grateful that we're allowed to stay (as per the rental contract) and trying not to resent how grudgingly it happens.  But, whatever, we'll try to be home as little as possible and hopefully as the days go by everyone will mellow out a bit.

The other bit of excitement in our family is that all four of us have been cast in Annie for the spring musical.  Even dh who has never been enthusiastic about theatre, especially community theatre, decided that it might be fun if we were all doing it together.  C was disappointed (to put it mildly) that she was nit cast as Annie though she was one of the final four girls who were called back.  I feel a serious mix of guilt and relief about it.  Dh and I were worried that she might be cast as Annie and that by May it would become overwhelming for her, the pressure she'd add on top of everyone else's expectations.  She tends to get pretty wound up even in smaller parts and so I told the director as much before she'd cast it.  She had sounded really surprised and a little disappointed (which had surprised me).  Then at callbacks C's audition was really stellar, and I'm probably her most critical audience.  SO it was a surprise to everyone when it was announced that another girl got the part and C was heartbroken.  So I don't know for sure that I'm to blame for her not getting it, and I still think my concerns for her sanity were valid but yikes, the guilt of thinking I may have altered the future for her is pretty heavy.

Oh well.  I'll have to check back in later, it's time to get out of the house. 

Real - that board situation sounds horrifiying, it actually makes my stomach hurt to hear about it.

A little bit grasshopper a little bit ant   energy.gifom.gif

#71 of 145 Old 02-09-2014, 07:30 AM

Hi mamas!

Real, just...UGH. As a political scientist I say...typical of tyrannical behavior, intellectual intimidation/extortion, and look OUT for the push-back. As an educator I say..this guy has no interest in the students or what's best for the community, the schools, the students, or the educators. What a tool. :angry

Plady, no worries on the play. Sometimes we have to guard their sanity if they can't/won't do it. As she matures a bit and can process her anxiety better, she'll be ready to take on those parts, and hey if she is that talented then the parts will come her way! Hugs. Have fun in Mexico! So jealous of the warmth.

BBM, awesome for your dd!

Welcome back, Jo! Can't wait to hear about your haj.

As for me, I'm leaving today to take four students to the Yeshiva Univ. Model UN three day extravaganza. :eyesroll We are not at all competitive (take 4 students, have one country represented, while other bigger yeshiva high schools bring delegations of 20 and have 4 countries, etc.) but it's a great experience for them in debating, Roberts' Rules of Order, committee/policy sessions, understanding international issues and how they might affect even 'small' nations with no direct stake in the outcome but with huge investment in how other countries behave, etc. I hate leaving my kids but I'm coming back Tues. afternoon so hopefully they'll manage. I'm trying to decide if I should go to the AIPAC conference in March (similar idea...Sun.-Tues.) to which I was invited -- that's to do with my 'other' career (policy analyst/writer/pundit) but it feels self indulgent and bad for my family for me to go away again so soon. I'd like to go...I don't know. 

RR: 10.3 today with my running group friends. I felt pretty sluggish even though it was "warmer" (at a balmy 19*) and my breathing wasn't so easy. But the run is done, and with that, I'm Bolt.gif

"Now bid me run, and I will strive with things impossible." (William Shakespeare -- Julius Caesar)

#72 of 145 Old 02-09-2014, 09:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nickarolaberry View Post

I'm trying to decide if I should go to the AIPAC conference in March (similar idea...Sun.-Tues.) to which I was invited -- that's to do with my 'other' career (policy analyst/writer/pundit) but it feels self indulgent and bad for my family for me to go away again so soon. I'd like to go...I don't know. 

My thinking on this - because I sometimes have similar feelings about trips for conferences - is that it is *not* indulgent to invest in our careers and our work. Even if it is not work that you are doing to earn $$ now, it might become that later. It is the whole idea of getting out of the house and staying in a hotel, no responsibilities for taking care of the children's needs or cleaning or cooking ... well, that is the part that to me feels a little decadent. But that's how conferences are done! How else would you have the freedom to meet with people between sessions, go to dinner with future colleagues, etc. Those kinds of things are often what make it all worthwhile. So, I say go for it. And don't feel guilty.

About the privacy thing, I don't think I am logged in on my phone, so if I check the thread from there, I wonder if I show up as a guest?

Plady, that must feel like a huge burden for you! I agree with Nick and think you did the right thing. Why not give her another year or two to grow into roles before being placed under that much pressure? She must have her mother's talent :D

Speaking of theater, I took the kids to see a play put on by the high school kids at my DD2's arts school. It was so well done! The students did the sets, costumes, there was an orchestra, dance and vocal majors all participated along with the drama majors. I loved it, and DD2 did, too. DS was a little bored but behaved so well. What a trooper.

Today is a fund-raiser oyster roast put on by DD2's band boosters. Oh how I wish I didn't have to go - I am the only one in the family who eats oysters, but I don't like the way they are served here. In a big pile dumped on a plywood table. But we are doing it as a family outing so here we go!

Melissa
mom to 3 lovely kids
#73 of 145 Old 02-09-2014, 04:09 PM

Geo--I don't remember if I thanked you for the fluorescent mineral information, but if not, thank you! I was looking for the link to the synthetic ruby you mentioned and really appreciated all the other info as well. As for school boards, yes. I didn't think this could happen here, and even after they got elected I was pretty optimistic that it wouldn't get extreme. They've only been in office since late November.

Plady--That sounds like an uncomfortable tension to overcome, if the tenant isn't thrilled about having you there. I hope you can enjoy the experience and have fun when you get back getting ready for the show. It's awesome that all of you are in it!

Mel38--I hope you find a way to enjoy the band booster event anyhow, though I wouldn't be thrilled by the way they're doing it either.

Nic--it's not self-indulgent. It will feel that way and some member of your family may well tell you that, but it's not. If you can go, go! As for the Model UN, I never did it but everyone I know who did thought it was an amazing experience. Hope it is for your students.

kerc--I meant to say last time: yay for your kids!

If you ever need fodder to convince apathetic voters that a moderate district can be taken over in bad, bad ways, here's the video from Saturday's meeting: http://youtu.be/zS3OytSHb1Y. The superintendent is in tears, the supporters yelling, our two minority members fighting the majority to do what's right, and the three conservative majority members refusing to answer questions and the point when the three left to illegally discuss board business with their lawyer, like the transition plan in a back room. Her statement gives the impression that this was all her idea, but the fact that the president tried to have an executive session to discuss personnel matters only two days earlier makes it pretty clear that they forced her hand. She's said she didn't want to leave until after TCAPs were over, next month. Even now, she said she'd be gone by the end of the month and they're saying she'll be on executive leave for the last week of it. Geez. Our superintendent was named Colorado Superintendent of the Year in 2010, one of four finalists for national Superintendent of the Year that same year, has been recognized as a "Leader to Learn From" by Education Week, and has spent 40 years working for our district. She's also a product of the district, having started here in kindergarten, graduating, and then returning to the district as a teacher. She certainly has her share of critics, but there is no excuse for these three to treat her or even their fellow board members, much less the taxpayers who can't get answers, like this.

Lisa  caffix.gif and her wonderful girls: R (9) violin.gif &  J (3-3/4) coolshine.gif 
#74 of 145 Old 02-09-2014, 07:27 PM

Real - Sounds like maybe a recall petition on that board might not be out of line?  And what about any open meeting laws?  Sounds like there could be some traction there? 

Mel38 - What was the play?  I'm always interested to know what other groups do for high schools or whatever.  The current high school drama coach wants to retire and wants me to take over but it seems like the school district only allows things like The Importance of Being Earnest or Alice in Wonderland and I can't face that.

Nic - Go to the conference if at all possible!  I really doubt it would be so awful for your family despite what you might be told, and I can just imagine how rejuvenating it could be for you.  And who knows what doors might open after something like that?  Thanks for the thing about keeping kids sane even against their will, that helps.

Jo - Also looking forward to hearing about your excellent adventures.

RM - Thinking of you mama, it sounds like you're having some rough days.

MelW - Those maps were interesting.  And depressing.

BBM - That is so cool that your girl got to go into a school and present her stuff.  I bet she made a lot of kids think about how there are other ways to learn beyond the classroom that they hadn't considered before.

Anyone have btdt with Osgood Schlatter disease?  C gets flare ups of knee pain now and then and she got one today.  We're doing RICE (minus compression) but this visit is really all about walking everywhere, especially since the house is not a home.  I'm thinking of keeping her on a steady drip of ibuprofen to try and control the inflammation and rest as much as possible.  Any other thoughts?

This also led dh and I back into the uncomfortable topic of her weight which is high and probably contributing to her discomfort but which I don't like feeling implicated in contributing to by being the majority cook and shopper.  And back we go to the usual how-to-help-redirect-her-appetite-without-shaming-and-making-it-all-worse vortex of despair and hair-pulling?  Why does so much of parenting feel like it never is going to come naturally even after I know I've been here done this before?

A little bit grasshopper a little bit ant   energy.gifom.gif

#75 of 145 Old 02-09-2014, 07:49 PM

Hi ladies. :blowkiss

Plady, I think what you did re the play is really OK. You know C better than anyone, and if she does great in a supporting role, it will build her confidence, and meantime you can do other things to build her up and try out again in the future, and when she lands that lead, she'll be ready. Tenant sounds weird, but two weeks in Mexico = worth a little weirdness, I think. Enjoy the sun and fill your cup.

Real, I hate that. It completely freaks me out and takes away a lot of the faith I have in the general common sense of Americans (whom I consider to have it in spades as compared with my current neighbors). This has got to be an ongoing trauma for so many in your community.

Nic, I agree with Mel38. I think you should go, in the name of checking the doorknobs. An investment in yourself is an investment in your family. I am still struggling with this idea myself, but I know in my brain that it's true. What would you counsel your daughters to do, in your place? :Hug

I am still mystified by the crazy weather situation going on over there, and thankful that I am not struggling against it this year. Spring is coming, Dingoes. Hang in there. JayGee, I have been thinking of you, too, and the struggle you're feeling right now, wondering what is winter, what is peri, what is dietary, what is other life stress, and how it all weighs against the kernel inside you that influences how we think. What sucks is that it is so expensive and consuming to take a non-med approach. If I had an endless supply of dollars, I would up the D, take fish oil, magnesium, B complex, take a daily yoga class and see a Chinese doc. But for a $4 copay or even for free, I can get a script that brings me nearly to hypomanic, so why bother, right? It sucks.

We're back, and still processing everything we did and saw and felt. Wow. First, on the logistics of the trip, note to self: never again a bus tour with M. Easterners. This is not a culture of respect for schedules or one that values organizational skills. Thus, a 15-hour trip became a 26-hour trip. Both ways. Plus border shenanigans both in and out. The hotels booked were bad and worse. The food situation was not good. Happily, we were not there for hotel or food. We ate through what I packed along, and then subsisted on what we found.

The Prophet's mosque in Medina is wonderful. Its vibe is like a welcoming home. Its courtyard is kept cool by automated umbrellas that come out of columns. Our first full day there, we went into the Rawdah, the part of the mosque where the first Muslims used to sit and discuss and hold prayers, just outside the homes of Muhammad (s) and family. A million Turkish, Moroccan, and other grandmas were also on Umrah, and many other older women, and in general, these old women were out of their element and prepped to respond violently to crowds. It was all I could do to keep dd from being crushed in the crowd, and some blessed young women helped me with that. Dh and ds went in to see the graves of Muhammad, his best friend, and his wife, Aisha, and ds got to make a prayer in the place where he used to sit and give sermons. Pretty emotional. In Medina, we also traveled to see the site of a historic battle, as well as two historic mosques.

From there we made Umrah. We rose on our last morning, showered and changed into our pilgrim clothes (for the boys, nothing but two unstitched lengths of white fabric; for girls, just normal abaya) and drove out to a particular mosque where pilgrims officially start the trip with ablutions and prayer. The short trip grew long (lost a pilgrim in the mosque and lost an hour waiting), and we came into the middle of Mecca late at night. We dropped our bags in the hotel and went straight to the Ka'ba, and I think we need to be grateful we were so late. We were exhausted, but the crowd was smallish, and we all got to touch the Ka'ba, though not the Black Stone. We joined up with one pair of pilgrims from our bus after circling the Ka'ba, and together we made up our missed evening and night prayers, drank at the well of Zamzam, and walked the 7 lengths between Safa and Marwa. We finished around 2:30 AM. Dd and I went to the room and cut our hair, and the boys went to the head-shaver for ds. I cut dh's hair later.

We spent most of the rest of the week in the Haram, praying and circling the Ka'ba. The boys were able to do and see more, of course, because in Mecca there are men shooing women away from lots of places as prayer times near. This was a real test, and suffice it to say that right now, the control over the Ka'ba and the Haram and Zamzam is a test for all of us. You can, if you try, feel much deeper beyond them and get a sense of the history of the place and the ripples sent out from there. And a lot of other things I can't appropriately articulate yet, or here, or in brief. We saw Mt. Arafat, as well as various places both associated with the Hajj and with the life of Muhammad--mountains he climbed and caves he stayed in.

In Medina, we saw a handless beggar (most likely a convicted thief). In Mecca, we enjoyed bringing dates along and handing them out to put smiles on people's faces. We also saw more dead bodies in those few days than we will likely see in a lifetime, as they bring in the dead for funeral prayers at the Haram before burying them. Like no less than 3 bodies borne in every prayer, and sometimes more than 5 at a time. The mosque in Medina was home to countless locusts. In Mecca, swifts during the day and bats at night, and also all day, hawks circle the Ka'ba eating locusts mid-air.

We all stayed healthy until the trip home. The kids have come down with colds, but looks like we have avoided the awful cough so many of the grandmas were spraying all over us in both cities. I am recovering from the swelling from the bus ride and the inflammation from all the food I normally would not have considered eating. Now, I am working on catching up on laundry. We've cleaned the house, shopped for groceries, and yesterday I cooked seriously vegetable-packed foods. Kids took the day off to rest. Today, we are back to the books and I should finish laundry, and if the sun comes back out, we'll walk the beach.

In other news, I got my first school rejection. Sad, sort of, but it was the longest shot of the long-shot schools, and the first I applied to (i.e., my work was rawest for them). Still hoping something good comes around for me, and waiting to hear, and there are 2 more months of this to get through. Oy.

Hope to report some RR soon.

#76 of 145 Old 02-09-2014, 09:24 PM

Hi.
Trying to catch up and don't know where to begin.
I all too closely think I understand what sparkle is going through.
Yes, people we don't know are reading the dingo thread.
Plady, I have had some recent good luck in the area of H's bmi. I keep telling her we are just waiting for her to get taller but it seems whenever she does she gains lbs to go with it. She has willingly taken to my recent changes for the family and we are seeing positive changes and yet nothing so rapid that it worries dh who would worry. I would be happy to talk about it elsewhere. (PM, phone, etc.)
jo, I cried when I read your update. I am glad you had a moving visit and returned safely.
I have so many balls in the air, I could use some goodvibes that I don't drop any too clumsily. Also, I am waiting for some decisions that I would really like to go my way and other things happening that I just want to be over. I didn't come on to ask for help but apparently I now feel like I need it. innocent.gif:sleepytime
blowkiss.gif

You don’t owe them an explanation, just a response.
#77 of 145 Old 02-10-2014, 03:11 AM

Plady - dd has osgoods. It seems it's mostly managing pain until they grow out of it. I would do the pain/inflammation relief and ice and keep going. The doc said it didn't have to stop dd, but the discomfort might slow her down. She's been in a better period lately. Ugh on uncomfortable living arrangements, but yay on adventure! Hearing your story about the theater, I think it was a good choice. Now your dd has some time to gain maturity and add distance for herself theatrically. Potentially losing a spot now but maintaining sanity, happiness, and joy for acting seems so much better. There's time for her. Not to mention there's no way to know if your words had that great of impact.

Jo - that is just amazing. So much to take in and process. What were some of the big impressions for everyone? If it's ok to share.

Nic - go. Enjoy, learn, experience mwah.

Mommajb - juggle mama! And put some down if you can.

I ran 4 miles yesterday!! Two years ago I did the goofy and you may know the kind of mikes that equates. But truthfully this is just as momentous. I need to hover here for awhile, my ankle did not hurt, but was incredibly stiff the rest of the day.

School planning yesterday, I think my favorite to plan is history and science. Has anyone heard of neoK12 ? They have videos on just about every subject. But I really liked them for studying cells. I hope they are just as good for the systems of the human body. I also found a website that has movies/documentaries for each chapter of our history book. We're just slowing down and wallowing in Roman history. Lots of reading about gladiators.
#78 of 145 Old 02-10-2014, 03:41 AM

BBM: Congrats and hover away :D

MommaJB: Here's hoping all those decisions go in your favor!

Jo: Wow, welcome home - and what a trip! It sounds amazing - visually and emotionally. I keep thinking how incredible this all is for your children.

Plady: This play was Thoroughly Modern Millie. I thought it was a great choice for high school, if you don't mind a bit of prohibition-style implied drinking. DD1's high school (different school) is putting on Singing in the Rain this weekend.

Real: :irked and gloomy.gif about that video. What a horrible way to treat someone. And the energy in that room, yikes!!! I hope you can maintain some kind of insulation around yourself.

The oyster roast was actually very nice yesterday. The weather was beautiful, and it was held on an island near the beach - just gorgeous. The kids could run and play in the wild overgrown palmetto forests, so they all seemed to be having a blast. I didn't win any of my silent auction items, a bummer - but a relief, too :2whistle 

Melissa
mom to 3 lovely kids
#79 of 145 Old 02-10-2014, 06:56 AM

Reading along the updates.  So glad to be able to share in the details of all your lives, good and bad.

Real, can I assume someone has the Denver Post in the loop?  Our paper has recently managed a purge of the school district for bad behavior by spot lighting it and keeping it on the front page.  IIRC, it all started with reports about closed door sessions with lawyers that didn't seem to fit the spirit of the laws.  You don't want to know how long it's all been going on though.  (And more recently, they spot lighted problems with housing inspections for rentals.  In that case, big changes happened fast.)

DS is back to his weekly vomiting trick.  Awaiting a call from the school councilor now...

#80 of 145 Old 02-10-2014, 08:07 AM

Jo - the beauty and power of what you describe is so moving. I'm glad you got to go and that you are home safe

Real - Sigh. I am so bummed to hear that. We are reading Foucault (Discipline and Punish) and Bourdieu in this 'social and political contexts of writing instruction' class, and I'm feeling so overwhelmed by The Man, like the education system is becoming increasingly, and at great speed, driven by a market-mind-set where conservative cultural-capitalism is the order of the day, and people are behaving in ways that they dont even agree with simply because the panoptican effect is so compelling. It sickens me, for everyone involved. And your story is such a clear example of that greensad.gif

Nic - I say go too!

BBM - hurray for the run. Take good care of the legs

Plady - I hate being in living situations like that. It sounds a lot like staying with my parents lol.gifdisappointed.gif Try to enjoy. The warmth sounds delicious

Mamajb - hug.gif Dont I know it

JG - hug.gif to you to. I hope things look up

NRR: Seriously grieving saying good-bye to the dog (hazel). No one else in the family is, except that the kids have said "the house feels so empty". I know it is the right thing to do, but I didnt expect the transition to be so sad and hard for me, and I just hope to g-d that Hazel isent experiencing same greensad.gif

Comments by mamajb and Jo are making me consider posting something on yahoo. I have learned a ton, and it might be helpful - understanding this process better helps me when Im really in the soup, but Im also a bit of a control-oriented person... I'm in a whole new phase currently. Made a big change in Dec. that I expected to result in particular fall-out by Feb., and while I am experiencing the results, its not what I expected. Its actually an experience I havent had in the course of the whole year - and here I thought Id done it all. Sigh. But on the up side, I could immediately identify what is happening, so the stress is lower, and the path ahead relatively clear. The visit with the compounding pharmacist was like manna from heaven. Love her. Im optimistic that things will really improve this spring and that I will find some equilibrium (Im still in the day-to day, and sometimes hour to hour of symptom management).

Ok, must. read. Foucault ...

mom to  dd1 (11) hearts.gif,  ds (9)bikenew.gif,  dd2 (6) dust.gif  , Daisy (4) dog2.gif
#81 of 145 Old 02-10-2014, 08:59 AM

So much to read and respond to.

Real -- I am astonished by what happened to your superintendent! What exactly is the School Board's agenda that they are trying to accomplish? What they did to the superintendent sounds less-than-legal.

Plady -when you first mentioned doing Annie, I found a whole bunch of YouTube clips from the 1982 movie with Carol Burnett for my girls. Now they are obsessed! I saw Annie on Broadway back in 1979 and remember it as an incredible experience. Hope you enjoy what is left of your trip. My DH had Osgood-Schlatters as a young teen. I'll ask him what he did for it when he gets home.

Jooj - welcome home from your wonderful trip! It sounds like a totally amazing experience.

MelW - those maps are really interesting. I found my old running route through Philadelphia - it seems like a popular one wink1.gif.

mommajb - good vibes to you and wishes for no dropped balls!

sparkle - hug.gif to you and please post your information on the Yahoo group.

RR - walked for 45 minutes and foam rolled this morning.

NRR - feeling a bit more positive today. I'm listening to the Diane Rehm show on NPR and she's having an interesting discussion on chronic pain. It leaves me wondering how much of my depression s related to the leg pain I've had for 4 + years now and the fact that I know a good run would do my brain a world of good, but by body just won't cooperate with that plan.

~~Kristina~~ Mama to DS(10/30/01), DD1(VBAC 3/28/04) and DD2(HBAC 5/21/06)
#82 of 145 Old 02-10-2014, 12:46 PM

Hi mamas. Quick word hello, and thank you for the reminders that it's ok to invest time in myself too.

Very, very frightening experience yesterday...driving down the highway here with 4 students, and a large object in the road in front of me. Too late to swerve around it without causing an accident so I hit it, and blew out my left front tire. Made it across three lanes of traffic to the shoulder by downshifting as h taught me to do (one helpful thing) and we ended up disabled on the side of the highway, with a narrowed shoulder from knee high snow banks. Had to wait there almost an hour for the roadside assistance and the state police were also VERY SLOW in coming to sit behind us to put out flares. I have never, ever been as terrified as I was to have these giant tractor trailers whizzing by us inches from my sitting duck van, with four kids I am totally responsible for.

Thank GOD, assistance came, got us off the road, put the donut tire on, and we meandered 55 miles to our destination (took us almost 2 hours because you can't go higher than 50 mph on a donut). got my kids checked in and into the conference mentality while I tried not to fall apart. Luckily one of the most spiritually exciting speakers of our generation was here to give the keynote address (Rabbi Lord Jonathan Sacks, former Chief Rabbi of the UK -- he's a wonderful speaker, check him out) and that calmed me a bit.

Also thankful I was here last year and made some good friends among other faculty advisors, one of whom lives nearby, and she took me this morning to Costco where I got two new tires (which my school will pay for, thank goodness). So all's well that ends well but...wow. You don't know fear like that until you really fear dying in the next hour.

"Now bid me run, and I will strive with things impossible." (William Shakespeare -- Julius Caesar)

#83 of 145 Old 02-10-2014, 02:17 PM
bec

It sounds very scary, Nic!  I'm glad everyone is safe.

Real - I watched that video.  My jaw dropped.  Really??   These are adults.  Hopefully, some good will come of it, though, as they show their true stripes.

Nic - I agree with the others about investing time in yourself.  Your kids will see that and know that they should also do that when they are adults.  It is setting a good example, even if it is difficult on the family.

RR: I finally got my bike set up on the trainer.  I wasn't able to get the videos running yet that I want to use, so I did a quick, YouTube HIIT spin video.  It wasn't perfect because it is so much more difficult to come out of the saddle on a trainer vs. a spin bike.  But, it left me sopping wet and begging for mercy after 30 minutes, so I feel good about that! 

Mama to: Katie, Emily , and Abby
Not perfect, Just amazing!
#84 of 145 Old 02-10-2014, 02:33 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)

Nic - SO glad you are safe. :heartbeat

Jo - glad you are home and it was such a fulfilling trip.

jaygee - don't understand the effects of chronic pain on every aspect of your life :Hug

No more storms here but the snow is still falling. I was sick for about ten days and let it get ahead of me and suddenly my driveway was barely wide enough to get in and out of. I live on a narrow lane way so there isn't much space for getting around. After years of being given the message that hiring someone to low out the driveway when it really gets to be too much I finally gave in to my reality and made a call. I was worried how much this was going to set me back and how much it would affect this month's budget. The damage? $30. That's all. A five minute phone call and instead of costing me some decadent amount, for $30 I now have a wide, clear driveway. Who knew it could be so easy?! I won't do it again this winter unless we get another blizzard and I can't keep up or if the kids and I get sick - but just knowing it isn't going to break us gives me peace of mind.

RR - It's supposed to warm up next week, still below freezing but not in the double digits so I am blocking off some space in my calendar for snowshoeing in some of my favourite places.

#85 of 145 Old 02-10-2014, 02:44 PM

Shanti, kerc, and other people who live in real winter - what do the side streets look like between snow falls?  It's been continuously below freezing since the last two snowfalls, so we have about a foot on the ground.  The city is running out of salt, so they've stopped salting the side streets.  The ones that didn't get plowed right away and have mostly shade are this awful minefield of 4" layers of ice interspersed with dry pavement and melting slush.  I can't imaging that's how real winter people do it....

So glad you're safe, Nic. 

Shanti, yeah, I can imagine that someone with a truck wouldn't take too long to clear a driveway.  So glad it's a reasonable price. 

Whoever keeps putting ice in the toilets and spoons under pillows, please, please, I'm begging you to please stop!!

#86 of 145 Old 02-10-2014, 03:24 PM

I'm waiting to pick up dd1 at ski lessons. This is what the parking lot looks like. It's roughly comparable to my Street, but it'll be too dark at home to take a picture when we get there.

Sand. Sand sand. Vs salt. Sand adds traction when you can't melt the snow.

More later, not from my phone.

Kristin -- mom of Erin (11/5/02) and Leah (9/29/05)
#87 of 145 Old 02-10-2014, 04:02 PM

Living in Mpls. for 4 years, I dont recall salting the side streets. They were packed snow and ice through the winter. Didnt see concrete from Nov. - Mar. Just drove slow, and we had a 4wd. I recall once stopping (way ahead of, and driving slow) at a stop-sign, only to just glide right through the intersection. Thankfully it was a side street so no cross traffic

Nic - how frightening! Very glad you are ok!

mom to  dd1 (11) hearts.gif,  ds (9)bikenew.gif,  dd2 (6) dust.gif  , Daisy (4) dog2.gif
#88 of 145 Old 02-10-2014, 07:04 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)

Geo - this is a snowbank on a side road about 10 minutes from where I live. Keep in mind that I live in a rural area but even so, you get the idea! There is a tree in my front yard that isn't a huge tree but it's still a mature tree, if small and it is 75% buried because of the snow banks. I hope the snow has all melted by August.

#89 of 145 Old 02-11-2014, 12:16 AM

1jooj--thank you so much for your post. I really enjoyed your descriptions. Glad you had a good trip too.

BBM--yay for 4! There's a time for low mileage and a time for high mileage. Hopefully the high mileage will return in time, if you desire.

mommajb-- goodvibes.gif for your juggling.

Mel38--Glad you were able to enjoy the oyster roast and avoid actually winning any of the auctions. I've experienced that feeling of relief often. Regarding the energy at the meeting in the video--yes, it's definitely edging close to the scary side of things. I wasn't there in person for that one but I can see why security told them to close (well, if that happened, and I'm not convinced that it did). I'm hoping the next meeting won't be rowdy, but I'll plot my escape path just in case. And honestly, I don't think the yellers are doing anyone any favors. It's one thing to hold signs and applaud the superintendent. It's another to shout at the people on the board and it could play out badly on TV and diminish support in the long run.

geo--yes, the Post knows. The new majority has managed to annoy the press enough that they're not getting sympathetic coverage. The bad news is that the Post is anti-union and ran so many heavily-biased stories during the mill and bond campaign that I refused to renew my subscription when it was up. (It wasn't the only reason, but the slanted coverage wasn't limited to education.) The Post is one of the major reasons I started writing about the district for the Examiner.com. We needed accurate, (mostly) objective reporting and it wasn't happening there or in the other local papers.

On winter: when I lived in Chicago, they always had salt, even on the worst of winters, and plenty of plows. But older cars were always having fuel tanks rust through and such, thanks to the salt.

sparkle--so sorry to hear how hard the dog transition has been. Sorry too to hear you're still reading Foucault. He makes a lot of great points, but it's depressing reading.

Nic--that sounds awful and having the kids along makes it so much harder. Glad everyone is ok.

bec--awesome about your trainer. That's something I want to try one day, not least because getting out of the saddle isn't something I usually manage.

JayGee--no one has any idea what their agenda is. We have guesses, but they're not talking. Your thoughts about chronic pain and how it's affecting you are probably spot-on. It makes so much sense in many ways.

Shanti--yay for a plowed driveway! Also, that is an awesome picture. We have one like that from up high on Trail Ridge Road when they were still plowing to get it open. It's an amazing sight.

#90 of 145 Old 02-11-2014, 03:31 AM

JG chronic pain has a huge impact on mood! I'm glad seeking answers is giving you some comfort

Nic !!! How terrifying! What poise you had in the moment. I'm so impressed at your clarity...I can't imagine being that self possessed. Glad you all arrived safely.

Bec excellent workout!

Shanti I'm so glad you called and now you have peace of mind if you need help. Snow shoeing sounds hard and fun smile.gif. Your picture won't upload for me this morning, hopefully I'll get to see it later.

I don't know if I live in 'real winter' or not, but our side streets are just sheets of ice. And seriously! Quit with the snow dancing already! -8 this morning. Every morning I have to take hot water out to the chickens and wonder what I'm going to find. One has died this winter, but it was not after a night of extreme cold, cold yes, but not negatives. So, I'm not sure what happened, nothing obvious. I also wonder if my bees can make this. I gave them some bee food, basically sugar turned into fondant a little over a week ago.

Work day for me, no forward movement. I may do a little yoga...the older I get, the stiffer I get.

Tags
Fitness

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page