Mothering Forum banner

Running toward an early spring (we hope)! The February 2014 Dingo thread

Tags
fitness
6K views 144 replies 18 participants last post by  Realrellim 
#1 ·
New visitors to the Dingo Thread may ask, "but, what is a Dingo?"

Dingoes are mamas (defined loosely, when needed) who run, walk, cycle, tri, and participate in whatever sport they need to sustain their awesome mama selves in lives that are definitely dynamic. Sometimes, a Dingo is injured, or life takes a turn, and she has to take a break from her chosen sport. Whether active or aspiring, Dingoes support one another in spirit. When two Dingoes are in the same place at the same time, something incredibly special happens. This is called a Dingo Meetup. They are relatively rare, and so we try to record them with photographic evidence.

Are you a Dingo? You just might be, if:

You sometimes perform acts of brilliance in order to squeeze a workout into a busy week.

You're never ashamed of coming in at the back of the pack, even if you're used to coming in faster.

You have found yourself sincerely respecting and admiring moms in all forms, observing how they're doing it for love, and growing from their experiences as well as your own

You won't know until you try, and all comers are welcome.

See less See more
#27 ·
RM, I'm glad you're home safe and sound, and sorry about the awkwardness at the funeral. My husband's family is Catholic and even after several family funerals I still feel awkward about not knowing what to do during parts of the service.

Congrats, Nic! I'm looking forward to hearing more!

I just registered my youngest for kindergarten. Thankfully it was online, and fingers crossed that I got in early enough for French Immersion (it opened at 8, I got in at 8:00:08 and was 110th in the queue district-wide). Now to commit minor fraud with my rental agreement with a friend to establish local residency, and we should be good. My mum camped out overnight to get me into French a Immersion, and 30 years later I'm going to similarly extreme measures...

#29 ·
Nic, I wish you were teaching my kids! The organizational thing is really tripping my ds up. He is a very intelligent and creative kid, does excellent work - when he doesn't lose track or get overwhelmed by the organizational piece and shut down completely. He was excellent with these things until puberty, now when it matters most, not so much. Combined with all the stress and upheaval of these past months, he really dropped the ball in one of his important courses. I am not letting myself over-stress about it but it does worry me. In the past I kept up with him but this fall has been challenging for all of us and he made it through but not with the kind of success he wanted or is capable of. His teacher has been very understanding and supportive to him and made some adaptations but it is still hard. When they get to this age it is hard to know how much as a parent I should be involving myself and how much he needs to learn from real life. I have a new plan for next semester - I just hope it works.

My kids had school today, first time in almost two weeks. I have some serious work to do outside to make my driveway safer as the drifts from shovelling are probably 10 - 12 feet tall right now. My workout plan this week is to lower those and dig some kind of trench around the house as the snow is coming up against the windows at this point all the way around.

#30 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shantimama View Post

The organizational thing is really tripping my ds up. He is a very intelligent and creative kid, does excellent work - when he doesn't lose track or get overwhelmed by the organizational piece and shut down completely. He was excellent with these things until puberty, now when it matters most, not so much. Combined with all the stress and upheaval of these past months, he really dropped the ball in one of his important courses. I am not letting myself over-stress about it but it does worry me. In the past I kept up with him but this fall has been challenging for all of us and he made it through but not with the kind of success he wanted or is capable of. His teacher has been very understanding and supportive to him and made some adaptations but it is still hard. When they get to this age it is hard to know how much as a parent I should be involving myself and how much he needs to learn from real life. I have a new plan for next semester - I just hope it works.
Mama. This is a learning thing. IMO as an educator: you get a chance to screw up, reflect on what happened, fix it and call it a learning experience. Every single time -- not so much. When he writes on his college or graduate school application what he learned from this "screw up", the person reading the application will think very highly of him regardless of one or two low course grades.

Yes, organization. Yes. yes yes. This is one of those untestable life skills. Err, it's testable. But not on a standardized test.

Me? organization has been lacking since about may last year when I had a serious low morale at my job issue. I've been digging myself out ever since.

Running related? nothing today. see lacking organizational skills. and also book club tonight. But darn it, I did leave the office with most tasks finished for my 8 am start tomorrow. That leaves me with a few spare hours tomorrow afternoon before I have to be home at 5. (whew. ready for those few spare hours!).

#31 ·
I think those executive functioning skills are some of the hardest, most elusive skills to learn. I just wrote a long email to Katie's band teacher (He's a long term sub for the regular teacher who is out on maternity leave, and this is his first job...like ever, so he is very young) about how she really isn't being lazy or apathetic, just that it is over the top hard for her to adjust on the fly when her whole routine has been disrupted (snow day after snow day after snow day). I'm hoping for a good response.

RR: I had a horrible, no good, rotten, very bad run on the treadmill. On the positive, I did get the 3 miles in that I was supposed to.

#32 ·
kerc (and geo?)--R is doing a science project on florescent rocks for the science fair and I just discovered that apparently there's more than one type of UV light. She received a kit with a UV penlight for her birthday, but we also ordered a really cool-looking one from Ebay and the seller had all this detail about different wavelengths of UV light:
Quote:
SW fluorescence is quite unusual. The smithsonite fluoresces blue while the other minerals fluoresce red. Longwave light causes the botroyoidal smithsonite to fluoresce a very attractive orange color. Finally, MW fluorescence is more of a deep purple.
Her UV light works, but doesn't give it the really cool colors. I'm thinking we should get a second UV light (maybe midwave? or another longwave? He said shortwave was pricey), especially if it makes a difference in how the rocks look. She's just doing a demonstration this year, but it would be really cool to buy another UV light so the students can see the effect of different UV lights. Do you have any UV light recommendations? Thanks in advance!

RM--glad your back and sorry there was so much awkwardness during the service.

bec--sorry about the run, but I'm always convinced the next one will be much better.

tjsmama--hang in there. I'm convinced the cold and snow is causing my funk. I want reasonable winter (30s & 40s), not cold, cold winter.

shanti--snow trenches! I love it. Or rather, it sounds so very Little House on the Prairie, yk, which is great when one say, doesn't have to live it. That should count for your exercise for the week and then some!

Trying to work up the mojo to head to the gym. My executive functioning feels drained for the day.

Speaking of executive function: my kid won an award for such things today! It's the Blue Feather Award, for things like staying on task, being respectful to students and teachers, and (I think) generally being a good example of the stuff in her school's HAWKS acronym. Each teacher nominated one student and R was the winner for the three third-grade classes. She said she took a picture with the principal and there was a certificate that she'll get to bring home sometime. She said the principal had visited their classroom several times in the past week and she wonders if he was making his own observations to choose a winner.

Now the funny part: she was heading back to her class when the dismissal bell rang, so she hurried and filled out her planner and packed up, got halfway out before she realized she forgot her violin, went back to get that, and realized when she got home that she'd forgotten to bring home the math homework that she'd written in her planner. Executive function fail!
lol.gif

#33 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Realrellim View Post

Now the funny part: she was heading back to her class when the dismissal bell rang, so she hurried and filled out her planner and packed up, got halfway out before she realized she forgot her violin, went back to get that, and realized when she got home that she'd forgotten to bring home the math homework that she'd written in her planner. Executive function fail!
lol.gif
Too funny! Congrats on the award!!

My husband bought his fourth pair of goggles in 6 weeks today, because he loses them at the pool. At least they're cheaper to replace than wallet or keys. It's part of his executive functioning challenges (which get worse with anxiety).

Job-related: The new university has a standing posting for nursing clinical instructors and lab assistants. I wrote a cover letter this weekend and today my husband called his new dean to ask if he knew the best contact for me when applying. He asked to have my CV and cover letter emailed to him so he could hand deliver it to the dean for Health sciences. The manager for public health who oversees my prenatal teaching job also emailed me today to ask if I wanted to do some other casual public health work. If I wasn't moving I might try to figure out how to squeeze it in, but thankfully for my sanity and time management I turned it down.

Shanti, your snow situation sounds intense! Good luck in the trenches!

#34 ·
RM - Glad you all made it through a stressful situation without internal strife, funerals are hard even when they are organized and nobody is sniping about the dead!

MelW - That sounds like a terrific lead! Good luck on that and on the French immersion program!

Shanti -Wow, that snow and unrelenting cold is crazy to read about, I can only imagine how ready you must be for a thaw!

Bec - Good job on getting the miles in despite the terrible no-good very badness of it.

RR: I'm off to box in a few.

NRR: Leaving for Mexico in 45 hours. There's lots that still needs to get wrapped up, including getting the petsitter in the door to talk about lighting the woodstove and what to do if the pipes freeze. Also, one cat keeps puking but I don't see how I'll be able to squeeze him into the vet's before Thursday morning. Gar. Nothing is ever simple is it?

#35 ·
Lisa, yes, UV is a relatively large range of wavelengths and I can certainly imagine that UV lights would have a variety of wavelengths.

Also realize that not all samples of a particular mineral will fluoresce as well as the ideal. Cruddy is the nature of geoscience. So it could be that your lamp isn't the right wavelength, or it could be that your sample of smithsonite isn't very pure. It will tend to form with a huge range of compositions, all of which will tweak that electronic structure to change the nature of the fluorescence. A whiter fluorescence would indicate that it's giving off light over a wider range of visible colors, consistent with a varied composition. Make sense?

The minerals I've found that are very reliably fluorescence are all uranium-based minerals, not exactly what I'd give a 3rd grader, no? You might try ruby, though, which should glow red reliably under a near-UV light. Synthetic ruby is reliable in its composition and can be cheap.

This is how I buy mine:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/synthetic-ruby-facet-rough-86-65ct-boule-/231126345080?pt=Loose_Gemstones_1&hash=item35d0342578

#36 ·
Plady - Have a GREAT time. Sorry about the pukey cat

MelW - you handle all of your obligations/commitments with such grace that it is no wonder people are reaching out to you left and right to offer positions. Of course they want you!! I hope the move and house-selling go smoothly. I have a few pointers if you want them from selling our house ourselves (and we had 4 offers in the first 4 hours ... after prepping the house for several months, and we sold it in a day). Little things, like Decluttering! We moved a lot of our stuff into a storage locker (boxes of kids' toys, furniture, we emptied the whole garage into the storage locker, etc. We kept the locker for one month. Basically, make your house look sparse, neat, and orderly. Take down personal photos. Consider fresh paint. It sounds like your yard is probably well tended already (ours was really overgrown; we hired someone to come in an basically raze it
lol.gif
). We cleaned epically (dh figured out how to attach a green scrubby to his circular hand-sander and we used that to clean the shower, one tile at a time, etc). We replaced the funky (small) kitchen counter with a new one (a couple hundred dollars). I actually bought a new (used) dining table that fit in the space better as part of the "staging" (and which we brought to the new house and have in our kitchen). I framed some of the kids art work for staging, as well as bought 2 new lampshades at Cost Plus. Little decoration things went a long way, plus the general emptiness of the place. I have to say, the house looked amazing that first day we showed it
lol.gif

RM -
goodvibes.gif

JG - I hate medication so much. I wish there were some way for you to find a way out of this without it
hug.gif

RR: I'm so on the verge of being there, and I know it would in fact help with the very physical/biochemical challenges I am going through currently. I just need to force myself ... but havent yet
redface.gif

NRR: I might have a line on a person to talk to who knows something!
redface.gif
Several months ago I had an epiphany that I should talk to a compounding pharmacist (we have a lauded compounding pharmacy here) to find out who they work with, but also just to have a detailed discussion about pharmacokinetics, as this is beyond the scope of the 2 md's Ive seen. For some reason I never got around to it. Then last week when I saw md #2 (second/other opinion from the person I saw last year who, I think, got me on the wrong track) she said, "you should talk to 'pharmacist' at the compounding pharmacy to answer those particular Q's". So I made an appt. yesterday for a consult, which I cant get for 3 more weeks. In the meantime, I am taking a script from there that I have a Q about, that apparently only she/THE pharmacist can answer, but she wasnt there yesterday, and when I called today they said she would be out all day bc she's up in the capital talking to the governor about pharmacy. Fingers crossed that she can be a good resource going forward...

In other news, I have felt burdened by the new dog (relatively) for months (um, 2013?). She is very sweet but a ton of work and temperamentally just not a great fit for our family. But I feel committed to her and really want her to have a good life, obviously. Well, we finally reached the point where we decided to pursue another owner for her and see what comes of it. We put a post on a Pyrenees rescue site yesterday and I think my dream owner might have responded (wont know until we meet her). Her lifestyle and living situation, age and sensibility and dog history sound perfect, and she lives in a great semi-rural town where I think hazel would ber very happy. We gave the woman the third degree and really underscored all of the challenges of having a pyrenees and she said she knew about that already and described her last dog, which might rival hazel for challenge. So we hope to meet her this week, and while I feel sad, I also feel so relieved!

#37 ·
Secret sprinter, anyone? After the night I had last night, I could really use the prospect of some fun surprises...

#38 ·
Peeking in from Mecca (OMG still can't believe this) to tell you ladies I think of you all the time amd you are in my prayers. Amazing stuff here, I tell you.

RR: Tawaf and Sa'ee and more of that, and lots of prayer. Food is awful but I can't complain. Smooches. Catch you when I get back.

#39 ·
Yes to SS!!

Sparkle - My parents have owned several Pyrenees. They are...strong willed, quirky dogs. I hope you find a good fit for your dog!

Plady - I hope the pukey cat stops. Have a fabulous trip!!

RR: Went to the gym last night to run on the mill with a friend. In spite of forgetting my earbuds and having to run without tunes, it was a really good 3 miles. I think part of my problem was that I am starting to break in a brand new pair of Newton's. Bad run was the first 3 miles I had put on them. Clearly my old shoes are much more worn! So, I'll need to do smaller runs on the new shoes as my feet get used to the newer shoes and as they break in. This morning's strength work is called snow shoveling! Swimming tonight.

#40 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by bec View Post

Sparkle - My parents have owned several Pyrenees. They are...strong willed, quirky dogs. I hope you find a good fit for your dog!
She's actually really submissive and gentle and kind of grandma-like. I think she just requires too much (5 hours vacuuming/wk, for starters) for how hard it is to include her in our lives (cant take a Pyrenees anywhere
lol.gif
) The woman we talked to had a pyrenees mix, and is looking specifically for another. When I told her about the challenges (hello, dog-body-sized holes all over the back yard) she said, "oh I know, you should see my yard". So Im optimistic that these two ladies (the dog and the woman) will bond well. But it still sucks for hazel, we are lame for doing this, and we are all sad
greensad.gif

I dont know if I can do SS. Id like to say yes, but it is all I can manage to get from point A (wake-up) to point B (bedtime) more often than not. I always chuckle when I remember a line from one of those peri articles I posted here where the author recommends "Wisdom of" to a friend and the friend says "why would I want to read a 600 page book about M when every day of M feels like reading a 600 page book" .

Now I really do need to read some of these hundreds of pages for class tomorrow and hope I can see my way out of this fog to have something worth saying about them .... Calgon ...

#44 ·
Ok, race report, finally. You'd think with a snow day I'd have completed all those "I never have time" house tasks, but no dice.
:eyesroll
I did manage to trudge over to the JCC gym (across the street, thankfully) and get a run in on the treadmill, then spent about 2 hours shoveling (ouch...back). And of course the snow is still falling, so good thing I did all that work. Sigh.

Anyhooo, race report.

So they have 24 spots for this indoor tri, and divide up the groups into three. I got there early with my friend so we could get first dibs on the order of events (and we did...went swim/bike/run). I did not want to have swim in the middle and have to get in and out of sweaty clothes/bathing suit twice.

I paid $25 for this event and I have to say, although the organizers at the JCC were very nice, they weren't really on top of things. I gather that the organizer who used to run the thing for many years left, so this was the first time for the new person. She's a lovely young woman (runs the youth fitness gym so I know her). But triathlon issues are not her thing apparently.

First off when they were making announcements of course there was the one curmudgeon (always is at least one) who complained that he didn't get swim/bike/run and that he HAD TO HAVE that order blah blah. No one would switch with him because he was being such a tool. He was this older guy. (back to him later)

Each 'team' was assigned one 'manger' who timed the event and counted laps/etc. So for the swim this one guy was counting everyone's laps. I know I counted that I did 60 (because I do it in sets of 19 with a breast stroke lap finishing off so I can keep track) but he had it at 55. Whatever. I didn't really care but it was annoying. Dh brought the kids to watch me swim and cheer, so that was nice. They didn't stay for the rest (spinning room is no-extra-space and fitness gym is no-kids).

Transition was fine, other than the two naked ladies prowling around the locker room making conversation while hanging out for all the world to see. I mean, I know it's a locker room and that's where people change, but I have never understood the appeal of literally hanging out naked, wandering around, laying down on benches and lounging there with a towel on your head but no where else...and not even in the sauna or something. In the changing areas by the lockers. Weird and disconcerting, and my friend Donna and I who are not prudes but are also not 'let it all hang out' types were really sort of freaked. One of the women was lying naked on the bench right in front of where we had our transition bags and we didn't know how to get around her to get to them. Sigh. Finally I just said, "excuse me can you please move? we need our bags and room to change." She looked at me with this weird look on her face and said, "oh, ok. Fine."

Um.

Anyway, the cycle part was low key because they can't measure the distance, so they just require you to pedal for 30 mins straight. I must say that despite my nifty new bike capris with the diaper cushion thing, the lady bits were not so happy. Maybe it's less annoying when you're outside and can at least enjoy the scenery?

Transition 2 -- quick. But not quick enough. Because when we got to the fitness gym, they had only reserved 4 treadmills and 2 ellipticals for the triathlon. It was 11:30 on a Sunday morning and all the treadmills were taken, and everyone else seemingly had a quicker transition. At this point I must admit I did not act as graciously as I should have (and I had just taken a caffeinated Gu so was revved also).
Bolt.gif
and I kind of said roughly to the team 'coach' that I NEED A TREADMILL NOT AN ELLIPTICAL BECAUSE THIS IS A TRIATHLON AND I NEED TO RUN. Yikes. Also, I fall off ellipticals. So Donna (friend) who is ever the gracious and kind person, took the elliptical (which she was also not happy about but would never be as crude as I was) and I got one of the old treadmills on the other side. I was pissed. I mean, really -- it's a TRIATHLON. They have NO OVERHEAD for this event. Reserve 6 damn treadmills for crying out loud for the event!!! Ack. You can bet I did make that 'suggestion' later on.

I had a good run, kept the pace up around 6.9/7/7.0/7.1 the whole time (30 mns.) and knocked out 3.44 miles. By the end I was barely hanging on to the pace and was just zonked but it was fine.

So anyway we all gathered back in the game room where they had some water, apples, bagels. They tallied results all together (hello, no experience?!) so three men won. there was a tie for first place, among whom the curmudgeon (see above) was one -- and he got pissy because they decided the tie breaker was the swim component not the run, and of course he had more run distance. Eventually they came out with results broken down, and I came in 9th overall, which isn't too bad...by age group I think I was first out of one or two.
:lol

Anyway it was a taste enough to see that I'd probably like to do an out door one. I'm still scared of the biking part (pain in the parts, and people knocking me over/falling over) and the open water swim (people swimming over me/knocking into me) but I think it is worth trying.

#45 ·
[quote name="sparkletruck" url="/community/t/1396828/running-toward-an-early-spring-we-hope-the-february-2014-dingo-thread/20#post_17562738
MelW - you handle all of your obligations/commitments with such grace that it is no wonder people are reaching out to you left and right to offer positions. Of course they want you!! I hope the move and house-selling go smoothly. I have a few pointers if you want them from selling our house ourselves (and we had 4 offers in the first 4 hours ... after prepping the house for several months, and we sold it in a day). Little things, like Decluttering! We moved a lot of our stuff into a storage locker (boxes of kids' toys, furniture, we emptied the whole garage into the storage locker, etc. We kept the locker for one month. Basically, make your house look sparse, neat, and orderly. Take down personal photos. Consider fresh paint. It sounds like your yard is probably well tended already (ours was really overgrown; we hired someone to come in an basically raze it
lol.gif
). We cleaned epically (dh figured out how to attach a green scrubby to his circular hand-sander and we used that to clean the shower, one tile at a time, etc). We replaced the funky (small) kitchen counter with a new one (a couple hundred dollars). I actually bought a new (used) dining table that fit in the space better as part of the "staging" (and which we brought to the new house and have in our kitchen). I framed some of the kids art work for staging, as well as bought 2 new lampshades at Cost Plus. Little decoration things went a long way, plus the general emptiness of the place. I have to say, the house looked amazing that first day we showed it :lo[/quote]

Thanks for the tips! I've hired painters, ordered some new bed linens and have a house cleaner coming on Friday to chat about some of the deep cleaning. The decluttering continues, with strict instructions that books can only be one deep on the shelves, etc. We're switching out any edgy or political art, too. Tidy the yard, refinish the kitchen counters, and we'll be ready to list.

I hope you have good luck with the compounding pharmacist. I love, love, love the compounding pharmacist that I used when my youngest was sick and needed corn-free meds, who totally went above and beyond to find/make meds and to call manufacturers and ask them my obnoxious questions about citric acid sourcing and other such things.

Safe travels, Plady!!

I don't know if it's an option, Nic, but I've done triathlons with a pool swim and regular bike/run in colder weather. Awesome tri in less than awesome conditions!

Hi jo! Enjoy the rest of your holidays!

I'm out for SS- too much transition right now. Next year...

I spent the day in my office doing massive amounts of catch-up on class prep and various other paperwork today. Then sprinted out to run to the automotive/hardware store where to buy brake fluid for my car because the warning had been on/off intermittently for a couple of days
bag.gif
I then drove up to my daughter's school, realized I had 15 minutes to spare and filled the fluid in the school parking lot. On the drive to daycare pick up I was searching around the car for my sunglasses, then remembered taking them off to see more clearly under the hood. Got home, parked, popped the hood and there were my sunglasses waiting for me unharmed.
coolshine.gif
I have some serious good fortune and angels looking out for me today.

#47 ·
More later when I hopefully have a little more time, but I'll organize SS...send me your email address if you want in. I'll probably use elfster again this year since that worked out so well last year. We'll probably start the week after next and try to have the reveal around the first day of spring.
joy.gif

#48 ·
I'm in for secret sprinter. I miss the pick-me-up the years I don't participate.

I am running regularly but everything else seems so chaotic. Despite living where an overnight low of 50F is chilly I am experiencing winter doldrums.

#49 ·
Hello February! Hello Dingos! :)

Mel38 - can you put the following on the race list for me:

Leprechaun Chase - 3/15 http://www.lc10k.com/iowa-registration/

Market to Market Relay - 5/10 http://iowa.markettomarketrelay.com/

Gladiator Assault Challenge - 5/17 http://www.gladiatorassault.com/

and on the results list: Icebreaker Triathlon 1/26 (http://www.dmymca.org/documents/filelibrary/walnut_creek/IceBreakerResults2014_F0D4098350D9E.pdf) 54:58

Thanks!

Geo - the phone thing... I use StraightTalk - I do the $45/month thing, but they do have a plan that is $30/month. Dh does Net10, also pay as you go, think he said he averages about $15/month (he's not a chatty person and he doesn't text a lot).

I'm not running as much as I would like - recurrent heel pain is killing that. :( Hoping that three weeks off (mostly because I've been sick) will help and I'll be able to get back in the swing.

I'd like to do Secret Sprinter too! :) First for me.

#51 ·
Great race, nic! I would also be
irked.gif
at the naked ladies in the locker room. I mean, I am not a prude, either (hello...I played high school sports where our coach required us to shower before we could get on the bus to ride home after away games
orngtongue.gif
), but that's a little ridiculous. On the other hand, there was the lady at the Y a month or so ago who was taking a full-on shower (not just a rinse-off) in her shorty wetsuit that she had apparently worn into the pool. No joke...it wasn't just a full-coverage swimsuit, it was a wetsuit. And she was shaving her legs...at least, what was exposed below the wetsuit.
rolleyes.gif
I also don't understand the dividing into groups and changing the order for the different groups. Couldn't they have just done three different waves? Or reserve more machines? I've never done a fully-indoor tri, but the ones I have seen around here are wave start and/or they have the whole group cycling room and most of the treadmills reserved. Weird. Regardless, great job! And yes, if the OWS is an issue, there are lots of tris here that have a pool swim with a regular bike and run, so I'm sure you could find one around you.

Oy, my night at work the other night. Well, my Monday night went pretty fabulously. I mostly independently managed two patients (at least until the one who was a cytotec induction went from fingertip dilated to full-on labor in less than 4 hours and popped out a baby not long after), and I felt great about it. I came in Tuesday night and we were pretty slow, so I only had one patient. She was lovely, lovely, lovely. But her little stinker of a baby was not being cooperative. So I spent the night flipping her from side to side, putting oxygen on, giving her IV fluids, turning her pitocin up, turning her pitocin down, lather, rinse, repeat. All to end up with the baby NOT cooperating whatsoever with pushing and going to the operating room for a c-section at 6 am. All was well, baby was adorable (and very large, probably why he was not agreeing to come out the vagina), but I was absolutely exhausted. And I had an hour and a half run to do, which I was originally going to do right after work to get it done with. After that night, though, I really needed the sleep first! Luckily C volunteered to watch DS while I did it after I woke up because otherwise, I would have been stuck on the treadmill at the Y.

And then today, I went Valentines Day shopping. It's been a very very long time since I bought a v day gift for anyone, so I'm hoping that a little trip to Victoria's Secret is an appropriate gift...yes?

rr~So that hour and a half run yesterday...did I mention that we are in the middle of an arctic cold snap right now? It was 0 degrees when I left the house, and -6 when I got home from the run. It actually wasn't all that bad until the sun started going down, and then it was kind of miserable. My eyelashes had a total coating of ice on them. I wish I could have taken a picture when I got home, but it was so cold that my phone was frozen.
cold.gif
Anyway, the run...LSD run, my first time doing a true LSD run. It was all zone 2. My max HR for zone 2 is 130. Let's just say it was sloooooooow. Sheesh. Today, a 45 minute recovery spin on the trainer (which is in the garage, which is so cold right now that my toes were numb and frozen by the end and I wore a fleece for the entire ride) followed up by 2400 yards in the pool. I'm tired.
orngtongue.gif

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.