Mothering Forum banner

Running toward an early spring (we hope)! The February 2014 Dingo thread

Tags
fitness
6K views 144 replies 18 participants last post by  Realrellim 
#1 ·
New visitors to the Dingo Thread may ask, "but, what is a Dingo?"

Dingoes are mamas (defined loosely, when needed) who run, walk, cycle, tri, and participate in whatever sport they need to sustain their awesome mama selves in lives that are definitely dynamic. Sometimes, a Dingo is injured, or life takes a turn, and she has to take a break from her chosen sport. Whether active or aspiring, Dingoes support one another in spirit. When two Dingoes are in the same place at the same time, something incredibly special happens. This is called a Dingo Meetup. They are relatively rare, and so we try to record them with photographic evidence.

Are you a Dingo? You just might be, if:

You sometimes perform acts of brilliance in order to squeeze a workout into a busy week.

You're never ashamed of coming in at the back of the pack, even if you're used to coming in faster.

You have found yourself sincerely respecting and admiring moms in all forms, observing how they're doing it for love, and growing from their experiences as well as your own

You won't know until you try, and all comers are welcome.

See less See more
#2 ·
Good luck at your tri tomorrow, nic! I know you're going to do awesome!

My lovely stretch of days off is coming to an end. I'm on call tonight, and I haven't gotten a call yet, and while I could really use the money, I REALLY don't want to work tonight. Especially since C has been gone all week, got back at 10pm last night, and it's his guard duty weekend up in WY. So, he left this morning at 5, and has to be back up there again all day tomorrow. Even if I don't end up working tonight, we'll really only get a few hours together. And I work three in a row starting tomorrow. I've at least been fairly productive with this stretch of days off...got lots of laundry done, grocery shopping and the like. And my workouts, oh, the workouts. I currently have a turkey in the oven, because what better way to greet February than by roasting a turkey, right?
orngtongue.gif
Ok, so it's my free Thanksgiving turkey from work and really, I just wanted to get it out of my freezer so I can actually put some stuff in said freezer. But it's cold and snowy out, and it will be delicious, if more work than I wanted to do for a Saturday dinner.

I am TIRED. I invited DS's friend and his mom over last night for movie night and then the friend stayed for a sleepover. All well and good except that this particular friend gets up before the crack of dawn. So, when C got up to leave at 5, the kids were already in the playroom playing legos.
rolleyes.gif
I shooed them back to bed, and then had to repeat the process again at 6 and 6:30 before letting them get up at 7. Needless to say, I did not get much sleep, and what I did was pretty broken up with interruptions. I did get a decent nap in this morning, at least, so hopefully it won't be TOO terrible if I get called in.

rr~An hour and forty-five minutes on the trainer yesterday while watching Chicago (almost exactly the right length). It was supposed to be an outdoor ride, but I do not ride in the snow, so the trainer it was. And then my longest swim to date today, 2700 yards. And no, kerc, I was NOT ready to get back in the pool.
winky.gif
Ok, so once I got in and loosened up, it was ok, but I thought I was going to die the first few lengths, my arms hurt so bad. And then it was a sprint set (16 x 25, three times!). So, yeah, that felt good, too. I can't lift my arms above my shoulders right now. Is that a problem?
redface.gif

#3 ·
DH has the (man) flu, so that, plus 10000 other things from the week, the gym has kinda fallen off the agenda. That changes tomorrow.

It's time to give up on this no cell phone thing. Anyone recommend a phone/plan that makes calls and texts easily enough (no multiple tapping on numbers) that's pay-as-you-go? I don't really use it, so a $50/mo plan seems dumb.

We're trying to make the office into something useable by all. It's long and narrow with windows along the long side, so we're planning to put shelves above the windows. We've picked these, but we can't stomach the $100 in shipping or the 3 hr round trip to get them in person. Any substitute?

Homeschooling moms, it looks like we might need a 9th grade physical science curriculum for DD to do over the summer. I'm not sure the kid needs it, but the kid will have to go through the motions. I'm guessing she has 80% of the content down pat already. Recommendations? Bonus would be to actually learn something, so I'm going for quantitative and focused on scientific thinking. Anyone?

#6 ·
Geo, I don't know about homeschooling, but the new (young and very talented) physical science teacher at my school might have some ideas, if you want me to ask him.

Gaye, enjoy your turkey! And any time off you get....

Mommajb,
:blowkiss
it's good to see you.

Kerc, hope you had a wonderful birthday.

Jo posted a beautiful pic up on FB, Jo, if you're reading this...safe travels, Godspeed. I can't wait to hear all about it.

Ok I am sitting here charged up on coffee being nervous because my triathlon doesn't start for two hours, and I don't have to walk across the street (it's at the JCC which is across the street from me) for an hour and a half.
:2whistle

#7 ·
Lots of thoughts.

Thanks to everyone for the birthday wishes (here, on facebook and via email). It was a good one. My kids and I went with three friends about 2 hrs away for a ski in the woods. By request from dd2 we went to the new YMCA there and kids swam in the pool for an hour, we soaked in the hot tub (and I swam a little with the kiddos). Dinner out together at a nice restaurant. I was beat by the time I got home.

Nic: an indoor tri is not more wussy than an outdoor tri. IMO they are two different events. If the triathlon organizer who lives in your home is telling you this crap, don't believe it.

On skipping grades in school. I have nothing to add. I'm tall. Apparently my children are not. Err, one kid is something like 40% and the other is taller, but I'm guessing 60%. One kid could be ready to skip, but is just fine in the grade her birthday naturally puts her into. The other kid is pulling things together well in second grade, and is happy there (and her birthday is only 24 days after the cutoff), but its never even been a consideration.

Geo: on cabinets -- is there a nice home builders supply store there? They sell similar cabinets to insert in kitchens for display stuff.

Lofty: I was taller than my teachers by fourth grade. On slouching. I don't know that it is intentional. But I surely have rounded shoulders. I used to think it was because of me slouching due to being uncomfortable during my middle school years. But now, as I look at photos of my mother in her 30s, I realize maybe I need to work harder to hold my shoulders back, but it's probably a genetic body thing.

The higher education equivalent of standardized testing is this thing called "assessment". And frankly I have to spend WAY WAY more time on assessment than I care to. Yuck.

#8 ·
Kerc, thanks! Oh yeah, on assessment. Bleh.
:eyesroll

Geo, I've seen similar at Home Goods and Target and the like. Also I think at Home Depot/Lowe's. They just might not be as 'pretty.'

On grade skipping/holding back...interesting. Dd1 has an October birthday. When we lived in NY where the cutoff date is Dec. 31, she entered school at not quite 5, and was 'fine.' When we moved to FL, the cutoff date was in August, and she was by far the youngest in her (Montessori) class, with some kids almost 3 years older than she, and as she was approaching the middle school division, I didn't feel she was socially/emotionally ready to be in a class with 12-13 year olds, at barely 10. So we 'reclassified' her and she repeated 4th grade (although because it was Montessori, she could do the work appropriate for her intellectual level which was more like 5th grade in math and 8th grade in verbal stuff). Now we're in MA, and we *could* have accelerated her a year based on their cutoff, but she is fine where she is even as the oldest in her class, still also mostly social/emotional and executive functioning skills related. But I know she wishes she was back in her 'proper' year (physically she is in the 75th percentile so just at average...but she is not yet really going through puberty, so it's just as well).

*If* she was very accelerated academically, I'd reconsider. The truth is, while she can handle the academic skills of a higher level (she reads at a high school level easily), in terms of executive functioning (organizing, prioritizing, keeping track of stuff properly, etc.) she is average or has difficulty with it. I've been working with her to improve these skills and we have a new color coded everything and double check system, and it's improving a lot, but she still needs considerable scaffolding there. I think these skills are sometimes overlooked as part of the bigger picture when dealing with gifted kids, as I see many intellectually gifted students of mine who can't find the nose on their face, and their grades as well as self esteem suffer for it. And, kids who have neurological or learning challenges (ADHD, SPD, etc.) who definitely ARE gifted academically tend to ALSO have the most challenges with executive functioning, and it can impair their progress because they spend so much time trying to cope with keeping track of everything that they have no room for active listening/processing when it comes to learning. I think its an area that most schools really don't address well, and it's not as well understood as it should be, especially because it can also be a negative aspect with other peers, who may tease/deride a kid for being the 'sloppy' or 'out to lunch' one whose stuff is everywhere and never has the right things for class. So...if acceleration is a choice then it may also be worthwhile to consider extra support in this aspect. We tend to think kids absorb these skills by osmosis, but really it's a discrete set of skills that for some is more challenging than others. When they have a system that is working and supported/reinforced though, you can see the relief they feel -- they have the 'safety net' of a foundational system and can release that energy toward learning.

Just my $.02.

#9 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickarolaberry View Post

On grade skipping/holding back...interesting. Dd1 has an October birthday. When we lived in NY where the cutoff date is Dec. 31, she entered school at not quite 5, and was 'fine.' When we moved to FL, the cutoff date was in August, and she was by far the youngest in her (Montessori) class, with some kids almost 3 years older than she, and as she was approaching the middle school division, I didn't feel she was socially/emotionally ready to be in a class with 12-13 year olds, at barely 10. So we 'reclassified' her and she repeated 4th grade (although because it was Montessori, she could do the work appropriate for her intellectual level which was more like 5th grade in math and 8th grade in verbal stuff). Now we're in MA, and we *could* have accelerated her a year based on their cutoff, but she is fine where she is even as the oldest in her class, still also mostly social/emotional and executive functioning skills related. But I know she wishes she was back in her 'proper' year (physically she is in the 75th percentile so just at average...but she is not yet really going through puberty, so it's just as well).
Hmm. Interesting. I've often thought that I might try for a sabbatical around middle school time for dd1. When we came back (semester), I would then assess if we should grade skip or not. But frankly, I kind of like having her around (most of the time).

Quote:

We tend to think kids absorb these skills by osmosis, but really it's a discrete set of skills that for some is more challenging than others. When they have a system that is working and supported/reinforced though, you can see the relief they feel -- they have the 'safety net' of a foundational system and can release that energy toward learning.
Yes. YES! These kids do absorb by osmosis (but not everything). Like somehow they're good at the academic end of learning and the day to day tasks of how to get the job done they aren't good at.

#10 ·
jog.gif
jog.gif

Dmitirizmom - Leprechaun Chase - March 15, 2014

tjsmama - Runnin' of the Green Lucky 7k - March 16, 2014

Mel38 - Cooper River Bridge Run 10k - April 5, 2014

Bec - Eggshell Shuffle - April 19, 2014

Bec - Indy Mini - May 3, 2014

tjsmama - Colorado Marathon 1/2 marathon, May 4, 2014

Dmitrizmom - Market to Market Relay - May 10, 2014

Dmitrizmom - Gladiator Assault Challenge - May 17, 2014

realrellim - Colfax Marathon, May 18, 2014

tjsmama - Ironman 70.3 Boulder, June 15, 2014
tjsmama - Boulder Peak Triathlon, July 13, 2014

Bec - Route 66 Half Ironman - July 26, 2014

tjsmama - Ironman Boulder, August 3, 2014

tjsmama - Rock n' Roll Denver 1/2 Marathon, October 19, 2014

Special dates:

candle.gif
September 24 Annual Griffin Memorial 5k - where ever you may be that day, whether organized or solo, whether running, walking, cycling, meandering or otherwise, please hold Griffin Patrick (and all those born silently or too soon) in your hearts.
stillheart.gif

Other places to find the Dingos:

: cooking blog
:

knitting blog

We have a private Yahoo group. Submit a request to join and mention your MDC
username in the request so we know who you are.

#11 ·
:twothumbs
2014 Dingo Results
:clap

jog.gif
bikenew.gif
jog.gif
surf.gif

Nickarolaberry - Gordy's First Race - January 1, 2014 - 57:xx (PR!!)

realrellim - The Resolve Double (5K + 10K) - January 4, 2014 - 25:11 & 58:45 (fastest female!!!)

Mel38 - Charlie Post Classic 15k - January 25, 2014 - 1:32:02 (PR)

Dmitrizmom - Icebreaker Triathlon - January 26, 2014 - 54:58

Nickarolaberry - JCC Triathlon - February 2, 2014

Past Dingo results:

2010 Results

2011 Results

2012 Results

2013 Results

#12 ·
Nic ~ I hope you tri was great! I can't wait to hear about it
smile.gif

kerc ~ sounds like a great birthday!

lofty - you asked on the other thread about what I'm reading
orngbiggrin.gif
! I finished the Orphan Master's Son (LOVED it, in spite of the disturbing depictions of torture). I also decided to take a break from the heavy fiction for some kid lit and read Okay for Now by Gary Schmidt (historical fiction set in 1968). I picked up Jen Hatmaker's Interrupted which is a book about how the current Christian church in America looks nothing like how Christ wants our Christian churches to be (embracing the outsider, ministering to "the least of these", serving the poor). I'm about halfway through it, but keep needing to put it down because so much of it resonates with me and I need time to think about it and process it.

RR - not so much. I have a stomach thing today that's making me feel just awful. Yesterday I should have walked, but I took a nap instead....

NRR - still battling the sadness. I have an appointment with DD1's teacher on Thursday to talk about math. Sigh.

As a military spouse, I have grown accustomed to moving to a new town every 3 years. We've been here now for 3+ and I'm getting antsy. Of course, now that DH is retired from active duty and working as a civilian, we won't be moving anytime soon
greensad.gif

#14 ·
YES on the moving. We moved 17x in 14 years and now are committed. It disturbs me. I find myself fantasizing about the day after dd1 leaves for college (as somehow that's the arbitrary soonest cut-off for another move). Although, Dh has th opportunity to work in NZ anytime, and I am agitating for that for the 2015-2016 school year ... Nic, you could house-sit for a year and try it out
loveeyes.gif

Nic - Thank you for that post about your DD! Ours sound identical, right down to the October birthday and the desire to be in the grade ahead (which we considered but decided against, and which she has grumbled about since). It is exactly the spacing out and lack of organization and follow-through that worries me and that I see no concrete attention directed toward at school (despite being in gifted, where I would expect them to have seen this combo a lot and do something to help with it!) I would love an itemized description of what you do with her that has helped, either here or in a pm. It helps me to know that its normal, relatively, bc it is the one aspect of her that drives. me.
splat.gif
I end up compensating for it bc it is the most expedient in the short term but I hate myself for it bc I know its the wrong thing to do, and get angry at her, and yeah, lots of productive energy all around
eyesroll.gif
Cant wait to hear about the Tri. SO proud of you!!!!!!!!!!!

JG - despite your moods not being in sync, necessarily, with your cycle, I do think its hormonal. Knowing what I do now. The thing is, there's not a lot to be done, and what there is has its own pros and cons. For example, you can have a succession (several months) of annovulatory cycles (due to stress, poor diet, perimenopause, whatever) and this leads to a build up of estrogen. Too much estrogen in proportion to prog. causes something called estrogen dominance which has some yucky symptoms. Then your body can start ovulating again and things balance and you are "normal" again. There are other versions. The vit. D thing, or melatonin, or other winter things could factor in too. Do you notice that it happens more in the winter months, historically?

#15 ·
Sparkle, what I do is not that revolutionary. I try to combine visual cues with other senses so that messages get through.

So: 1) Each class has a color. The notebook (or divider, if student has a looseleaf), pocket folder (to hold papers), highlighter, post-it tab, etc. for that class are in that color. The color key is marked in the front of the binder, and the class is Sharpied on the front of the folder, along with name.

2) Student gets homework sheet each day from school, broken down by class and assignment, and due date. These go into a dedicated looseleaf. Student highlights each assignment as it gets done in the class's color.

3) Student ALSO has a month-at-a-glance calendar book, 8.5 x 11 size, like this: http://www.mead.com/meadstore/mwv/product/Monthly-Planner/70260;jsessionid=61ADCEC9462482CF461DD92DCA3610CD?pageSize=6&rootCatId=cat20013&goToPage=1&catId=Monthly_Planners_AAG&prodId=70260

That is for long term assignments (i.e. projects given in parts, anything not due within a day or two, etc. -- COLOR CODED by class) as well as ongoing obligations (after school activities, etc.) so the student can identify visually what their day/week looks like and how much time they have to do things on a long term basis and also day by day (i.e. if every tues/thurs is blocked off 5:30-7 for an athletic activity, that space can't be used for studying).

** For my dd, I get a weekly email from her teachers outlining how she has been doing, and what assignments are. I frequently write back for clarification because a couple of the teachers really have a negative attitude about this and consider her lazy or stubborn, which is not at all true. They really, really don't get that this is a separate skill and a developmentally difficult challenge for adolescents.

4) If student takes notes on a computer, every day's notes are printed out and put in chronological order in a looseleaf binder. I require all my students to have these. Handouts are given out already hole punched, and put behind that day's notes. I realize this is environmentally unfriendly, but I find it absolutely essential for kids, esp. those who need help with understanding the progression of the class and keeping track of stuff.

5) Before tests/assessments or periodically, I have students outline or copy over their notes. I find that the physical action of writing reinforces the knowledge, and it helps me find deficits with kids who may not have caught everything they needed to. I also have them share notes with each other, esp. when we do projects and each student may have a different responsibility. This way they are internalizing their peers' ideas as well through the act of the outlining.

With my dd, and also with my classes (not my APs though) I check binders once a week. We also go through and toss out anything that doesn't need to be kept, make sure everything is organized and in its proper order/class/color, and that we have what we need -- and if not, they have the weekend to get it straight or obtain it.

Some of my AP students also need this. They are incredibly bright and intelligent and analytical, but some never have developed organizational skills and it prevents them from being successful as the demands grow.

Does that help at all? I probably do other things as well but I'd have to think about what they are.

#16 ·
Nic, I love the organizational system. I'm working on a couple of group projects for my program right now, and quite purposefully got into groups with people that I suspected had similar organizational styles to mine. I knew when my classmate starting reordering the subfolders within our shared google drive folder that I had chosen well- I had been itching to reorganize them but didn't want to be perceived as (too) obsessive about it
:lol

On moving: I'm a frequent mover too, though I don't have that antsy feeling at all. I had hoped that buying a house would prevent us from ever wanting to move again, but here we are. We'll hit four years here before the move. As an interesting note: there's a theme to the timing of our recent moves with children's ages: Moved when the oldest was 10 months old, 2 1/2, just before kindergarten and now at 8. For the youngest we moved at 9 months and now just before kindergarten (skipping the 2 1/2 year old move). I hope to skip the 8 year old move with her, too. The meeting with the realtor went well and her prediction is that we'll come pretty close to breaking even on the house. I hired painters and have some leads on housecleaners. I'm going to refinish the kitchen counters myself and we'll list the house in early or mid-March right before Spring Break for the public schools.

On grade levels: We have a December 31st cut-off here, and my oldest has a November 1st birthday. She's currently the youngest in her 3-5 class, and she'll be almost 2 years younger if the grade skip proceeds. Her organizational skills for getting work done are quite good, but she needs big reminders to bring them in to submit. That's an area to work on over the next little while. I sent off the letter/report to the school and am hoping for the best in their meeting on Monday.

RR- Finally something to report! Bootcamp on Friday evening, and today the climbing gym!

#17 ·
Tri race report later. I'm pooped. But happy. AND I went shopping and finally bought myself the Sanita clogs I wanted (Dansko but the parent company, still made in Denmark rather than China). DSW had them for about $50 less than retail. Woot.

#18 ·
I love the organizational information. The schools do similar things around here. But, they seem so darned secretive about it! It is like pulling teeth to get any kind of communication and updates from some of them. It's frustrating, and I am still learning to be assertive with the teachers and really push for the information that should be shared with me.

Nic - I am so excited for your first Tri! I agree that indoor tris are not any less challenging. In some ways, they are more challenging than an outside one for me because there is not the change in scenery (mental focus). It sounds like you did a really amazing job, though, and don't let ANYONE tell you otherwise!

RR: I got a nice 4 mile treadmill run. I even managed to average an 11:30 pace! It's nice to be able to run for longer at faster paces (yes, that is blazing fast for me! I'll take it!).

We also had our Tri class party where we talk about races and t-shirt sayings/style. This year, we are going with T.G.I.T. (Thank Goodness it's TRIday).

Also, can I have a race added to the list? Indy Mini on May 3!

#19 ·
Quote:

We tend to think kids absorb these skills by osmosis, but really it's a discrete set of skills that for some is more challenging than others. When they have a system that is working and supported/reinforced though, you can see the relief they feel -- they have the 'safety net' of a foundational system and can release that energy toward learning.
Yes. One of the things I love best about our GT centers is that they focus on the socio-emotional aspects, which sometimes involves various levels of scaffolding to help with those organizational skills. This year all our third-graders received planners and were rewarded with a poker chip each day that their planners are filled out and signed. Those can be traded in for erasers and other trinkets. Though one of the kids was stealing other poker chips so apparently she had to collect everyone's and start an online system instead. To the class' credit, they've been pretty calm about this and that's despite the fact that they put their heads together and figured out who the culprit was. That tells me the work they've been doing with the group on social skills is also working!

Congrats on a great tri!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MelW View Post

On grade levels: We have a December 31st cut-off here, and my oldest has a November 1st birthday. She's currently the youngest in her 3-5 class, and she'll be almost 2 years younger if the grade skip proceeds. Her organizational skills for getting work done are quite good, but she needs big reminders to bring them in to submit. That's an area to work on over the next little while.
There are a couple of early-entry kids in R's class like that. One just won our area spelling bee (3rd-8th grades from multiple elementary and middle schools, each of whom had already won their school spelling bee). The other will be an Olympic gymnast in another six years or so. I suspect their parents help with the reminders because both of them are crazy busy with multiple activities too.

kerc--a belated happy birthday!

Did my 9 on the treadmill last night. Guess I'll get used to the treadmill because we have another wave of arctic cold coming. DH has to travel to Chicago, so I guess he won't get to escape it either. However, I did manage to take advantage of the fact that all the Broncos fans weren't at Joann Fabrics this afternoon. I'm trying to knock out some projects because it's time to start tomato seedlings and I need to clear off that space in my office. J now has a pair of Mickey Mouse pants (decal on one leg, iron-on glass jewel-things in the shape of the mouse ears on the other). R has a new Minnie decal on a pair of pants. I finished sewing a Christmas pillow with the leftover fabric from the afghan backing. There was other stuff but those were the most interesting.

#20 ·
Hi!

Liking the organizational stuff, I have a few clients where I've dug to the bottom of the barrel for tools and running out.

Still slow, small forward movement.

You know I went through the hormonal dance when I was an adolescent, can I just say I'm dreading doing it a second go-around with dd?

#23 ·
Organization ~ I really like how Smart but Scattered discusses these things. (1) Our expectations are generally too high too early for a large fraction of kids, and (2) it takes a lot longer to learn the skills, so reinforcement needs to go on for longer than we'd think. Our elementary school has a system a lot like what real describes, but support generally fades after the first quarter 3rd-5th grades. That's not long enough, particularly since it doesn't seem as though DD was ready to learn those skills before this year (6th). She's really learning it now because she's ready and daily reinforcement is in her IEP. And this, amongst other maturity issues, is exactly why we've been turning down skips for her. She *needs* HS level work, but also *needs* MS level development time.

#24 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by bec View Post

BBM - Forward motion, no matter how slow, is still forward. Keep on trucking!
Exactly! Says the Dingo who is currently walking a 20 min/mile every day. Any faster and my hip and calf don't like it.

sparkle - well, I know I'm not anovulatory because I use FAM for birth control and still have temp shifts every single month. I remember being depressed in college, in Maine, where it was winter from October-April. And as a young adult I was very, very depressed (Prozac saved my life, literally, but stopped working after about 2 years). Not sure what the issue is, but I'm thinking I need to find a therapist and perhaps get back on an SSRI of some kind.

NRR - running errands all morning, library this afternoon, swim practice tonight. I will walk during the girls' swim practice. Snow expected tomorrow and then negative temperatures again for a few days.

#25 ·
Hello!!

I'm back from our funeral trip to Pittsburgh. The kids really did great as it was a lot to ask of them. My dad rode with us and he actually handled it all really well too. He doesn't like kid chaos, noise, conversation, etc. Seven hours each way and my darling husband drove it all with my dad in front. During the second set of viewing hours my dad says that he wants the great grand kids to be the pallbearers What?! My kids haven't even been to a funeral, and didn't know what that meant, let alone they are 9-14 and several have anxiety issues. So the priest springs it on the kids that night. sigh. During the Catholic funeral church service, my dad says to me, "Father wanted to know if anyone would like to read or sing"...um what?? So cue the very long awkward pause when the reading was to happen as we all looked at each other and shrug. Later my dad turns to me and says that they haven't designated anyone to take up the gifts so he turns to my 13 yo to start to ask him to do it. Um, we aren't Catholic, the kids have not ever been to a Catholic service, so they have not clue what that means, what to do, etc. Thankfully good friends of the family who are Catholic got up to do that. My Aunt was also crummy, dissing my Grandmother to me during the viewing and more. At least my Grandmother is at peace and we are home safe and sound.

RR: haven't done anything last 5 or so days, but it feels good to be back home and on a schedule. Plan on it later to feel the calm. :)

#26 ·
lurk.gif
Eagerly awaiting nic's race report!

rm~Sorry your trip was such a bummer in so many ways.
hug.gif

I am in a funk, for some reason. Not sure why, I'm just generally dissatisfied with life right now. Not helped by clueless boys who, while not doing anything *wrong* per se, also aren't really doing anything right. Sigh. I need a vacation. Good thing I'm going on one next week, although in my current funk, I'm not even very excited by that.
greensad.gif

I had an unexpected night off from work last night because DS was sick. Just sick enough for me to call in, but not sick enough for me to not feel guilty about it.
rolleyes.gif
And of course, I'm sure it probably looked like I was calling out because of the super bowl, when, in fact, I really didn't give a crap about the game. At least I'm on orientation so I don't count in the staffing numbers, so that made me feel a little bit better about it.

rr~An hour and ten minute run yesterday, max HR 148. I finally figured out how to set the HR alert on my garmin so I don't have to be constantly looking at it, so that was helpful. And weirdly enough, I hit a groove in the second half and my HR stayed low enough that I was actually able to pick up the pace a little. So much so that I got back home (I ran an out and back) with two minutes left in the run and had to keep going.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.