Mothering Forum banner

Weight loss challenge!

2K views 24 replies 6 participants last post by  Nazsmum 
#1 ·
I saw a bunch of weight loss threads, but most are underway. Would anyone like to join a weight loss challenge/support thread?

I am 8 days post partum and my plan is to eat only nutritious foods. I am looking to lose around 30 pounds, which I figure will take around 15 weeks. I plan to add light exercise (walking) in 5 weeks and rigorous exercise (running) in about 8 weeks.

#2 ·
Sure, I'll join. My husband (and doctor) keep telling me I'm not overweight, but people keep asking me if I'm pregnant when I'm not so I could lose at least 10 pounds.

I was advised to cut down on the granola I eat for breakfast, so I've switched to an egg, cheese, and vegetable omelet - baked - for four days in a row with a bowl of fiber rich cereal on the fifth day, then more omelet after that. I just finished the first omelet today.

It's Lent so I'm not snacking between meals anyway. The only thing I have is water or fruit juice. Sunday is the only exception and even then I don't have much more than an apple between lunch and dinner and maybe a milkshake with a small piece of fruit or some leftovers at bedtime.

When it's not too rainy and not too hot (in Florida) I walk around the 2.5-acre yard four times to make a mile. When my exercise bike doesn't croak like a frog I like to ride that for at least half an hour too. I also do 100 sit-ups at a time up to three times a day.

#4 ·
So how are you gals doing?

I have been measuring all my food. I went out to eat for my mother's b-day. I did not have cake only because was not sure of the serving size. LOL So doing well.

I will get back on the scale on Tuesday. I started at 140. Need to get to 130.

#5 ·
I went down from a little over 160 to about 156. (Two years ago I was at about your weight, Nazsmum, and I was there for most of my twenties. I'll be happy to get back around 150 but 145 wouldn't be bad either.)

I'm not going to measure my food because I could see myself getting obsessive about that - not saying you are, but that's how I am. I'm only going to weigh myself once a week. Not eating between meals for Lent is really helping, along with walking two miles around the yard yesterday and one mile today. I'm trying to rearrange my routine after my children's bedtime so that I have time for my exercise bike too - have to fit dishes and everything else around the hour my husband wants me to watch anime with him and still get to bed to read and sleep around 10.

#6 ·
I am about 148 and I want to get down to 125. I am usually 125 (was pre-pregnancy), which is thin for my height (5'10) so I might have to settle for around 128-130 while nursing. I'd like to lose most of it by mid-May when I plan to start running. I'm registered for the NYC marathon this year, which doesn't seem that appealing right now!

I have been eating whole foods... nothing processed. I feel good!

#7 ·
Do you ladies have any advice on limiting how much you eat in one sitting? I'm not eating between meals because it's Lent, though after Easter I will eat small snacks again, like fruit and vegetables, because I believe more smaller meals are better than fewer bigger meals. But we eat meat for dinner most days and I let myself eat more, and that sort of undoes all the work I did during the day with exercising and fasting.

#11 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarAndSun View Post

Sometimes getting over hungry can make you eat too much before it registers. Only take as much as you want to eat and don't allow yourself a second serving...
Yes, thanks for the reminder. When Lent is over I will go back to eating a light snack between lunch and dinner so I don't overdo it at night.

While I haven't lost any more weight this week, I finally tried a skirt on after wearing dresses all week and my skirt fits a lot better than last time. Better fitting skirts is one of my goals
smile.gif

I hope you're all having a good weekend.

#14 ·
Wohoo! I walked tow miles yesterday, three miles today, and mulched with two bags today and just weighed myself (before dinner, no shoes no dress): 154, down from about 160! My hard work is paying off :)

I miss when the scale said the numbers you're saying, but people around me keep telling me I'm not overweight or heavy so I'm not going to worry about it.

#17 ·
I stepped on the scale tonight while trying on clothes for Easter Mass and was pleasantly surprised to find that my weight is closer to 150 than 160: 153! It's not a digital scale and I'm nearsighted but I was wearing my glasses and I think that's what it said.

I'm going to keep walking and riding my exercise bike to try to at least maintain lower 150s :)

#21 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.