8 week healthy weight loss challenge Number 15 (starts April 28, join anytime) - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

Old 05-01-2014, 07:45 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Arghgkfjdkjfkdjfkd. I'm doing really poorly in this challenge so far. I don't even want to weigh myself on Monday. My one excuse is that breastfeeding makes me SO hungry and I just want to eat all the time. And not good-for-me things. I scarfed five strawberry muffins today. Plus regular meals. 

But that excuse will only go so far. I really really want to get back to being totally comfortable with my weight.  :(

p.s. I'm running a marathon relay with my cousin on Sunday (my leg is 4.7 miles). I didn't train for it well at all, because I've been battling depression and my 14.5 month old has been sleeping terribly so I've not had the energy to do much beyond regular walking. I'm interested in seeing how this run feels for me on Sunday. and I'm hoping the race, plus the incoming warmer weather, will jolt me back into my normal healthy-eating-exercising self!  :thumb 

24 years old. Central PA. Married to a medical student. DD1 - Valentine's Day 2013. treehugger.giflactivist.gifcaffix.gifdelayedvax.giffamilybed1.gifwhale.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-02-2014, 04:18 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)

in order to have a better feeling of satiety (and therefore not jump on any junk food you see ...) have you tried adding a good table spoon or two of coconut oil on part of your meal (i like it on vegetables + with extra salt) ? although it feels counter productive when trying to loose weight, it does something to the body fat burning mechanism, as well as tricking the brain into feeling "not hungry anymore " ...

Old 05-02-2014, 04:30 AM

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)

waywornwanderer-  Good luck on your race this weekend!  I didn't lose any weight the first year I was breastfeeding, but did see a major redistribution as I gained more muscle from toting a tot around all the time. But then around 14-15 months (just after he started walking), I dropped 5 lbs like magic.  You may see a major change real soon! 

Catholic Mama- Never heard of coconut oil & ACV together?  But I LOVE coconut oil.  I have been doing smoothies with coconut milk and I am an ACV addict, I drink about a quart a month.  

This week hasn't been so good on the exercise front.  Early this week I spent 3-4 hours mucking out the sheep pen.  I had thought I might go for a run that day but by the time I finished I didm't want to do anything but lie flat on my back for hours on end.  Today we head down to the in-laws for a few days and I hope to get a couple of runs in there where the terrain is gloriously flat.  

Bedtime munchies are a big problem for me too.  I'd like to cut them out but have the same problem someone else mentioned about waking up famished early in the morn.  Like 4 am.  I try to get back to sleep by filling my belly by drinking a big glass of water, but it rarely works.  A chunk of sharp cheddar is my fav nighttime nibble.  

Old 05-02-2014, 12:07 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by IsaFrench View Post

in order to have a better feeling of satiety (and therefore not jump on any junk food you see ...) have you tried adding a good table spoon or two of coconut oil on part of your meal (i like it on vegetables + with extra salt) ? although it feels counter productive when trying to loose weight, it does something to the body fat burning mechanism, as well as tricking the brain into feeling "not hungry anymore " ...
I will have to try to remember to do this. I find that even though I eat a full meal and know I should be satisfied I'm constantly wanting to eat something (or several somethings) sweet after a meal.

Trish~mama to Kaelie 5/03 and Amelia 12/13, surro mama to Aidan 2/08 & Ellyss 6/09, 

Old 05-02-2014, 12:51 PM

just reading posts who mention being hungry when breasfeeding and not feeling full after large meals ... gave me some flashback to 13 years ago when i started being rather traumatised by the intensity of the senstations of hunger i was experiencing then with all the hormonal changes of the pregnancy, birth and breastfeeding ... it is NOT easy to cope with all the changes ... good luck with it all ... i now can see, in retrospect, that it's only when my youngest was well past 6 years of age ... that i could sort of "move on" in my life and finally gather the internal ressources i needed to find a way to start finally to loose my baby weight ...

Old 05-03-2014, 07:53 AM

Hey, I actually made  it out for a run today!  It was tougher than it was two weeks ago (when I last ran) but not as bad as I had been anticipating.  I never would have gone out today if it weren't for you women and this challenge.  Thanks and hooray!

Old 05-03-2014, 09:17 AM

so ... have walked a lot these last two weeks, due to no dance classes during school holidays  & only went swimming twice (and half my usual distance for laps)

but ... took part in a 3 hours long workshop on Thursday .... and, crossing fingers all work out well for childcare etc .... am likely to climb a local mountain tomorrow ( about 945 meters above sea level, i believe) ...

i have the impression i'm gone back to just under 130 lb ..... now, i doubt i'll be able to go down as low as 57 kg (125lb66) by Monday morning (my orginal goal for that medical appointment) ... but am wondering what to pack for food for Sunday ....  = how can i eat enough for energy ... yet not so much that i put on weight ? ... i suppose it's easy to over-eat when in the mind set of "this is much more exercise than i'm used to doing on a regular basis, ... surely i can eat this and that and that and that ....."

yesterday i have frozen some leftover chicken pieces, have baught some chicory from the market this morning (full of water & something to satisfy my munching cravings ...)

was thinking of making some "madeleine" individual cakes to share with my friends ... not so sure now ....

Old 05-03-2014, 11:23 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)

Keep up the good work SweetSilver :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrishWSU View Post

I will have to try to remember to do this. I find that even though I eat a full meal and know I should be satisfied I'm constantly wanting to eat something (or several somethings) sweet after a meal.

I experience that sometimes too. Do you eat enough fiber? I've heard that's important for staying full. Also fruit and almonds are both naturally sweet in their own ways and much healthier than typical sweets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IsaFrench View Post

just reading posts who mention being hungry when breasfeeding and not feeling full after large meals ... gave me some flashback to 13 years ago when i started being rather traumatised by the intensity of the senstations of hunger i was experiencing then with all the hormonal changes of the pregnancy, birth and breastfeeding ... it is NOT easy to cope with all the changes ... good luck with it all ... i now can see, in retrospect, that it's only when my youngest was well past 6 years of age ... that i could sort of "move on" in my life and finally gather the internal ressources i needed to find a way to start finally to loose my baby weight ...

I know what you mean. My youngest will be 4 in September. I am still at the age that I could become pregnant again, but it doesn't seem likely. If I can stop thinking I'm in limbo between wanting to lose weight to not look pregnant, and possibly about to be pregnant and needing to gain weight, it will be easier for me to eat right and exercise more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsBe View Post

Hey, I actually made  it out for a run today!  It was tougher than it was two weeks ago (when I last ran) but not as bad as I had been anticipating.  I never would have gone out today if it weren't for you women and this challenge.  Thanks and hooray!

I feel the same way! Thanks.

Do any of you have suggestions for exercise to do on a rainy day with no gym membership? I've loved going outside at sunrise to walk a mile around my yard, but it's been raining since Thursday and I haven't been outside since then. Yesterday I walked up and down the stairs inside for 10 minutes and my husband put a stop to that when my son hurt his younger brother on the landing. Today I'm thinking my only options are sit-ups before meals (if I do it after a meal, I get the hiccups and can't breathe enough to do sit-ups) and riding my exercise bike for as long as it will let me without squeaking and croaking. Beyond that I barely have the energy for the usual cleaning and parenting etc. with so little sunlight. Rainy season is coming here in Florida so I hope to be better prepared this year than I have been.

May God bless you and His Blessed Mother Mary keep you!  :-)

Old 05-03-2014, 07:44 PM

I might try avoiding wheat, dairy, sugar, and soy for a few weeks to see if it helps, after I go to the grocery store again:

http://thethyroidsessions.com/gluten-thyroid-connection/

They say that you can still eat vegetables, quinoa, rice, and meat.

Old 05-03-2014, 08:25 PM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Yoga and hula hopping are great indoor activities and burn a surprising number of calories. Jump rope can be depending on how much room you have but it's hard on the ankles.

I half ran half jogged today for half an hour and tried the ACV and coconut oil. It's quite a shock to the system but I started out small so I'm hoping it eases up soon.
Old 05-04-2014, 01:05 AM

Catholicmama, your eating plan looks much like the Zoe Harcombe phase one eating plan (which she recommends for 5 days ... or more if one wishes to carry on)

unlimited, meat, fish, eggs, veggies (except mushrooms and potatoes but yes to tomatoes and olives) in their most natural form, only plain Natural live yogurt with no added lactose in the ingredient list if one doesn't want to totally cut dairy, but no dairy if it's not well digested, olive oil and only 2 ounces of brown rice or oats or quinoa per day. and that's it = no prepackaged food (because of additives, etc ///

i don't know about the gluten-tyroid connection but that eating plan does work (even with unlimited protein and veggies) to help loose weight, i lost 1 pound a day for 5 days when i went on it for 5 days (+ recommended it to quite a few friends) ... the downside is that it can be hard to stick to it if your body is used to a lot of other stuff that is not so good quality food ... craving it like a drug addict ... BUT it's true that making the effort to stick to it for only 5 days, one DOES feel much better by day 6 ...... am sure the brain chemistry does change, even in so little time ...

not to say that i can always stick to it (i tend to finish pre-packaged foodstuff that i still buy for my family ...)

Old 05-04-2014, 06:18 AM

I went from 182.8 Friday to 186.2 Saturday when I got my period greensad.gif I know once it's over I'll go back down but come on! Very discouraged and trying to keep it from affecting my food intake.
Old 05-04-2014, 06:39 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

IsaFrench, so do you cook the veggies in olive oil then add coconut oil once they're done cooking?

The move was quite hard on the eating part, ate lots of junk in the last few days, but yesterday I ditched the unpacking and went for a run to the coop and bought some good organic veggies, beans and yogourt and made me a be chickpea salad, it was delicious! Made my lunch for today : "eggless fried wild rice tofu with plenty vegetables"!

I did more exercise than I thought I would but I think it will just balance itself out. We'll see, I haven't weigh myself at all this week... But last night I was so bloated, made me realize my periods should come any day now. Soooo most likely not a loss tomorrow :P

French Canadian living in the Big Easy. Happy mama to Jaxson Lee born on 9/16/12 and loving wife to Denis Lee since 11/03/11

Lovesbikenew.giftreehugger.gifwhistling.gifnamaste.gifteapot2.GIFread.gifdishes.gifchampagne.gifeat.gifcoolshine.gifROTFLMAO.gifnotes.gifjog.gifbroc1.gifstillheart.gifbiggrinbounce.gifRainbow.gifcaffix.gifand all that good stuff

Old 05-04-2014, 07:55 PM

+I ran a relay marathon with my cousin, her boyfriend, my uncle, and my cousin's friend today. It was really really fun. A hilly 4.7 miles, challenging (since I haven't run regularly since my daughter was born 14.5 months ago), but doable with all the spectators cheering us on and the breeze hitting just right. I feel really ready to get more active again! I bought a BOB jogger off Craigslist on Saturday, so that will help me in my goals :)

+we made a HUGE Costco run this weekend. we don't live near a Costco (closest one is 1 hour 15 min away), but I love the quality of their products. we bought Kerrygold butter, organic olive oil, avocado oil, coconut oil (yes, we love our fats! and I use coconut oil for beauty products, too...); ground bison, organic ground beef, organic chicken; pure maple syrup, assorted nuts, etc.; quinoa. (Also- my husband's favorite sugary cereals, acai juice for me, and assorted other odds 'n ends). I'm loving that our freezer and pantry are stocked with healthy basics. 

+tomorrow's the weigh in and I know I didn't do my best last week... but I'm happy for a new start this week! bring it on Monday.

24 years old. Central PA. Married to a medical student. DD1 - Valentine's Day 2013. treehugger.giflactivist.gifcaffix.gifdelayedvax.giffamilybed1.gifwhale.gif
Old 05-05-2014, 12:04 AM

Yes Jaxy, on days when i do eat coconut oil, i add it on to veggies, even if i have cooked them in olive oil (usually i fry the cut up onion base in a little olive oil, then add the veggies, then a little water later on so that it doesn't burn ) .... i love olive oil and use it in salad dressings usually, but i don't tend to use much of it for cooking since i've been frightened by contradictory reading about its smoking point ...

Jaxy, have you heard about JUDDD way of eating ? i lately read quite a lot on forums to see what people had to say about it ... looks to me to be more or less a step up from Mosely 5:2 way of eating (as in 4:3 with really really paying attention to calories counting ... not much like the Harcombe way )

... although i do think that it's possible and even an excellent idea to combine both, i mean, learn to eat "clean" with Harcombe & then introduce 5:2 or 4:3 (i DID try 4:3 this past week, although i have had cheese cravings late at night ... i now feel that 4:3 is even much more efficient than 5:2 in a way, ....)

so .... i did climb our local well known hiking spot yesterday & took some prepackaged left over pancakes with me ... but only ate half of it & mostly ate "the Harcombe way"

& my girlfriend set us a furious pace on the way down (we had choosen a longer route, more scenic but that added quite some distance & time) because she was set on us getting the 4:00 pm bus back to town & not having to hang out for an extra two hours waiting for the next bus ....

and now, am so, so, so happy to report that i'm nearly to the goal i had set myself for today & my medical appointment

57.9 kg

which translates as 127.64 lb

(and for the British minded 9st 1.6 lb)

Old 05-05-2014, 12:47 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
62.3kg (137.35lb)

Pretty happy with that :-) I've had a cold which has affected my appetite. Hopefully I can carry on with the smaller portion sizes and no before bed snack once I'm better.

Mother of two spectacular girls, born mid-2010 and late 2012  mdcblog5.gif

Old 05-05-2014, 05:22 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)

Here are the teams and week 1 postings. Let's see how the week 2 weigh ins go today.

Crafty Geeky lady (37, hypothyroid) married 7/2010 love of my life (42, azoospermia). I believe in MIRACLES! Twin boys born 12/21/13 at 40 weeks 2 days! 3/52 crafts in 2014 Ramsey's BS1: Done! 2/17/12 BS 2 goal: 6/7/17 no sperm initial DX 3/23/12 BFP 4/7/13!
Old 05-05-2014, 05:23 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)

My weigh in for week 2 is 215 pounds! I haven't seen that number in a long time. It might be a fluke. I really walked a lot this weekend. I need to keep it up though.

Crafty Geeky lady (37, hypothyroid) married 7/2010 love of my life (42, azoospermia). I believe in MIRACLES! Twin boys born 12/21/13 at 40 weeks 2 days! 3/52 crafts in 2014 Ramsey's BS1: Done! 2/17/12 BS 2 goal: 6/7/17 no sperm initial DX 3/23/12 BFP 4/7/13!
Old 05-05-2014, 07:21 AM

I didn't expect to lose last week but I'll take it! 124.4. :joy

+I've been doing planks every evening and this week I want to continue that.

+I plan on walking every day, barring truly terrible weather.

+I want to go on one or two runs this week. I'll be really happy if I can keep my running mojo goin'. 

+Food wise, I want to limit the sugar I've been eating so much of. Beyond that, eating reasonable portions and limiting snacks to just one a day. 

Old 05-05-2014, 08:28 AM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
177 buy my period just ended so it's probably because of that
Old 05-05-2014, 08:31 AM

151 this morning. Blah.

SAHM to Chloe«- 6/2008 (10 lbs, 5 oz), Hannah- 9/2010 (9 lbs, 12 oz), Liam- 2/2013 (9 lbs, 6 oz)

Old 05-05-2014, 08:54 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

My goal is 160 and if I want to ever get there, I need to stop binge eating and get on it!

French Canadian living in the Big Easy. Happy mama to Jaxson Lee born on 9/16/12 and loving wife to Denis Lee since 11/03/11

Lovesbikenew.giftreehugger.gifwhistling.gifnamaste.gifteapot2.GIFread.gifdishes.gifchampagne.gifeat.gifcoolshine.gifROTFLMAO.gifnotes.gifjog.gifbroc1.gifstillheart.gifbiggrinbounce.gifRainbow.gifcaffix.gifand all that good stuff

Old 05-05-2014, 09:01 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)

My screwy old dial scale could not decide on 161 or 162.  Usually it settles on a weight, but not today so I took the middle ground.

So, no loss but still a good beginning:  for the first time in weeks I did not have one day over 162, and even hit 159 one morning.  My weekly average was 161.35.

"Let me see you stripped down to the bone. Let me hear you speaking just for me."
Old 05-05-2014, 09:04 AM
AAK

Dang it!  I am up.  180.8

I am really bummed.  I did so much exercise this week--it was how I stopped myself from grazing throughout the day.  The weather was nice most the week so I did lots of walks and a couple bike rides.  However, the weekend wasn't so good--eating or exercising so I guess that killed it for me.  :-(

Amy

Mom to three very active girls Anna (14), Kayla (11), Maya (8). 
Old 05-05-2014, 09:14 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

188 today. 

Old 05-05-2014, 10:53 AM

150.4 today (on my friend's scale, so I'm not too hopeful)  But ready to really commit to another week with at least two runs.

Old 05-05-2014, 11:59 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)

I find that exercise has a reverse effect on my weight sometimes.  Especially if I have a big week of exercise followed by a week of slacking.  

"Let me see you stripped down to the bone. Let me hear you speaking just for me."
Old 05-05-2014, 01:11 PM

184.5 today.
Old 05-05-2014, 01:27 PM

187.5. Not enough exercise. I need to find childcare so I can get to the rink more often.

Amanda,  SAHM mama to love.gif Rose and rainbow1284.giflove.gif  Sean.   Always in my heart and never forgotten  angel3.gif Violet (18 weeks due to I.C.) candle.gif
Old 05-05-2014, 01:34 PM

152 again. This is actually a relief because I ate too much yesterday, and it went back down because I've been walking and doing yard work. I'm so thankful to God that we will have lots of sun and not much rain this week because that will allow me to be outside walking and working a lot more than last week. I hope to fit into another skirt more comfortably by this time next week! :)

Tags
Weight Management
User Tag List