8 week healthy weight loss challenge Number 15 (starts April 28, join anytime) - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

#1 of 235 Old 04-25-2014, 09:24 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)

I think it is time to change it up because some people find us in the middle of a challenge and don't feel they can jump in, but may lose their momentum by the time the next challenge starts. So beginning with challenge, I will add those newcomers to our teams, keep track of their weight loss percentages and add it to the teams total for however long they are a part of the team to keep everyone motivated!  The longer you participate, the better for your team.

Words of wisdom from Milk8shake (with minor modifications):

The version 1 thru version 14 eight week challenges were a great success, and many of us are up for another eight weeks - we're opening it up for any newbies who would like to join the next round of the challenge.

Please read below.

Background: The thought came to my head because I joined the "losing weight in 2012" thread, but I didn't have much motivation, and I had no-one to be accountable to. I was thinking about the Biggest Loser, and how teams can be such a motivation. So, I thought I would throw this out there for anyone who needs to get some weight loss happening, but just can't seem to get off the couch.

The challenge: Commit to an eight week weight loss challenge. You'll be assigned to a team, and your weight loss percentage will be measured on an individual and a team basis. The team with the highest loss percentage at the end of the eight weeks will be the winner. This is a TEAM effort. If you lose, your team wins! Your weekly progress will be updated on the leader board for all to see.

The requirements/rules:

1. You have to be willing to commit to the challenge beginning April 28, 2014 and ending June 16, 2014
  2. You have to be willing to commit to exercising a minimum of 4 x 30 minute sessions per week - the type of exercise is up to you!
  3. You have to be willing to check in and update your progress and weight at least weekly on Mondays.
  4. You have to be willing to share your weight and your height. (By PM if you are shy) You may not join if losing 1 lb / .5 kg per week will put you in an underweight category according to your BMI (check here) at the end of eight weeks.
  5. You may not join if you are pregnant. If you become pregnant during the challenge, weight loss up to your BFP will be added to the team challenge, but then I will ask that you wait until after your baby is born to join again.

The prize: A thinner waistline, a slimmer derriere, and the opportunity to bask in the glory of the winning team. The challenge will not start until Monday, April 28, 2014. Sign up now to let us know you are interested so I can begin making teams.

wpugh731 likes this.

Crafty Geeky lady (37, hypothyroid) married 7/2010 love of my life (42, azoospermia). I believe in MIRACLES! Twin boys born 12/21/13 at 40 weeks 2 days! 3/52 crafts in 2014 Ramsey's BS1: Done! 2/17/12 BS 2 goal: 6/7/17 no sperm initial DX 3/23/12 BFP 4/7/13!
#2 of 235 Old 04-25-2014, 09:38 AM - Thread Starter

I will start.  I am 220 pounds, mother of twin boys who are 17 weeks old.  I am 5 feet 9 inches tall and the "goal" weight for me is 169 pounds.  I know I am comfortable and happy at 190 pounds and I was there 10 years ago for my 10 year reunion.  Wow, is it really my 20 year reunion coming up this summer?  Yep.  Time to look like I did in high school aka 190 pounds.  On the last challenge I lost 4.8 pounds in 8 weeks.  Seems pretty reasonable to me since I am breast feeding twins. I want to keep my exercise up there since I know that is what helps me the most.

Crafty Geeky lady (37, hypothyroid) married 7/2010 love of my life (42, azoospermia). I believe in MIRACLES! Twin boys born 12/21/13 at 40 weeks 2 days! 3/52 crafts in 2014 Ramsey's BS1: Done! 2/17/12 BS 2 goal: 6/7/17 no sperm initial DX 3/23/12 BFP 4/7/13!
#3 of 235 Old 04-25-2014, 09:40 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)

OK, OK, you've got me back.  

I tanked on the last few challenges, so my goal will be super-super low.  Hopefully you can balance that out when selecting teams.  I want to lose 3 pounds in the 8-week challenge.  Just 3 pounds.  I need to lose 30-40, but , my weight has crept up, sometimes slowly sometimes in bursts, and I am now 12-15# up from my last maintenance weight of 148.  And boy, am I feeling it!  I am more tired, slower and feel older.  The last time I lost 40 pounds, I couldn't believe how much younger I felt.  I need that again.

Hoping to add more fruits and veggies (hard time for fruit up here!  Storage apples and no local fruit beyond rhubarb.  Love rhubarb, but still, I need lots of sugar with it.  Produce from our southern neighbors near and far, but oh so uninspiring.  More veggies, too.  Those are looking better.  My metabolism has changed somewhat, partly due to less exercise, partly due to aging because what I would lose on before makes me gain now.  Part of the plan is to increase that somewhat through more regular exercise.  Days are longer, and I'm able to get out of the hous for a walk at 6:00pm when before that was out of the question.

Wish me luck.  See you on the 28th!

Give me a few minutes while I caffeinate.
#4 of 235 Old 04-25-2014, 10:08 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)

I am in..... hopefully I will be a bit more active this time.  I am really wanting to make some progress and get down to 145 by the summer.... and get a chance to work out more and eat better.  I don't really have any big plans for this 8 weeks, so crossing my fingers that I will be able to work out and eat well.  Cross your fingers for me.

SAHM to Chloe«- 6/2008 (10 lbs, 5 oz), Hannah- 9/2010 (9 lbs, 12 oz), Liam- 2/2013 (9 lbs, 6 oz)

#5 of 235 Old 04-25-2014, 01:02 PM - Thread Starter

SweetSilver, nice to see you back.  I totally get it about feeling "younger" at the lighter weight.  Hopefully this challenge will be encouraging enough to help you get out the door each day to walk or at least 4 times a week.

Chloe'sMama, yes, the extra activity is always the kicker!

#6 of 235 Old 04-25-2014, 02:35 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)

please count me in,

i'm not weighing myself right now because today was a family birthday and Sunday is another ...

so i'll be waiting for Monday morning to weigh myself for this challenge ...

i just want to keep going down a few more pounds for this forthcoming challenge

#7 of 235 Old 04-25-2014, 03:14 PM - Thread Starter

Glad to see you back in for another 8 weeks!

#8 of 235 Old 04-25-2014, 03:18 PM
AAK

Quoted: 11 Post(s)

You better add me in.  I participated a bit in the fall, but then had a medical nightmare in January.  It affected February as well.  I do taxes so the idea of trying to lose weight in March or the first part of April was laughable.  Now though, I REALLY need to do this.  I am my highest ever and I feel like crap.

Amy

Mom to three very active girls Anna (14), Kayla (11), Maya (8). 
#9 of 235 Old 04-25-2014, 03:38 PM - Thread Starter

Glad the challenging months are past for you, AAK. Hope this challenge will help you get to a happier place health wise.

#10 of 235 Old 04-25-2014, 04:05 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Count me in. I have a 4 month old baby girl (hi Lilac!) I lost all 12 lbs I gained during pregnancy in the first week but have had no motivation to start working out again. And I've been eating horribly for months now. I think I've actually gained like 5 lbs recently.

Currently I think I'm at 175 lbs (I'm 5'4".) Ideally I'd like to get back down to 145 lbs. My 8 week goal is to lose 10 lbs. I'm going to also participate in a Diet Bet (dietbetter.com) You place a "bet" then have 4 weeks to lose 4% of your body weight. If you do you get part of the pot, if you don't make your goal you lose your money. I hate losing money so that adds motivation for me. There's no program or crazy diet to follow, how you lose is up to you. I think having accountability here will help keep me on track.

Trish~mama to Kaelie 5/03 and Amelia 12/13, surro mama to Aidan 2/08 & Ellyss 6/09, 

#11 of 235 Old 04-25-2014, 04:51 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
In again. I've lost 36 lbs since challenge #1. Lots of ups and downs. 15- 20 lbs to go. I'm an ice hockey player and keeping some weight on is a good thing, especially playing in a coed league.
I'll weigh in on Monday. I'm 5'4 1/2.

Amanda,  SAHM mama to love.gif Rose and rainbow1284.giflove.gif  Sean.   Always in my heart and never forgotten  angel3.gif Violet (18 weeks due to I.C.) candle.gif
#12 of 235 Old 04-25-2014, 08:25 PM

TrishWSU, you gained 12 lbs during your whole pregnancy!?

Good to see you again SweetSilver :)

Wow AmandaMarie that is awesome!!!

I'm in again :)

The next couple of weeks will be hard because we are moving (AGAIN!) but I need to get back on track (my parents' visit + Easter was harsh on my diet and exercise!)

I am a huge food lover, I love healthy food, but I also love junk (snacks...) and I want to find a balance where I can indulge (sometimes) without finishing the whole bag and feeling guilty afterwards (yes, I'm a compulsive eater). I want harmony (in all the spheres in my life, but also in my diet) because it's the only way for me to be happy.

For this challenge, I want to see 160 lbs and it will be hard because I didn't even way that low 10 years ago!

Last year I lost a little more than 20 lbs in 4 months thanks to this challenge, now I'm back for more!

French Canadian living in the Big Easy. Happy mama to Jaxson Lee born on 9/16/12 and loving wife to Denis Lee since 11/03/11

Lovesbikenew.giftreehugger.gifwhistling.gifnamaste.gifteapot2.GIFread.gifdishes.gifchampagne.gifeat.gifcoolshine.gifROTFLMAO.gifnotes.gifjog.gifbroc1.gifstillheart.gifbiggrinbounce.gifRainbow.gifcaffix.gifand all that good stuff

#13 of 235 Old 04-25-2014, 09:46 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

I'm here again.  Challenge #14 was a total bust for me.  I couldn't exercise.  At all.  We're trying to adapt to new schedules around here,  and the current situation doesn't leave much time for working out.  In addition to that, my husband was injured and then also sick, meaning that I was responsible for just about all of the chores around here for about 3 weeks.  I'm trying to put my exercise time on the calendar to protect it.

#14 of 235 Old 04-25-2014, 09:50 PM

I really want support I have to lose I am 5"2 at 255 last year I lost 40 weighing around 215-212 than I got pregnant with my fourth child had hypertension through the pregnancy still a bit uncomfortable high blood pressure so im all for group support and weigh inns
#15 of 235 Old 04-25-2014, 10:01 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
I'm in again too. I've plateaued again and am going up and down around the same kilo or two. Need to start consistently losing again.

Mother of two spectacular girls, born mid-2010 and late 2012  mdcblog5.gif

#16 of 235 Old 04-26-2014, 10:32 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)

Even though a friend says I am "not heavy at all" and my husband consistently does not call me fat (unless I keep asking him), and my doctor says I am not overweight, I will join so that I can fit into more of my skirts - ideally all of them, and so that maybe not as many people will ask me if I am pregnant and when my baby is due when I am actually not pregnant. I am challenged by taking psych meds which don't seem to want to let me lose weight, and also Lent is over so now I can eat between meals. I am 5 feet 9 inches and today, before dinner I weigh about 154 pounds. If it is okay, my goal will be a range: between 140 and the low 150s. If I find out that I am pregnant I will duck out and eat more.

I've been trying to walk at least one mile every day, which takes at least 20 minutes. Sometimes it's closer to 20 minutes than 30 minutes but that's usually not the only exercise I do in a day.

Thanks for the invitation!

May God bless you and His Blessed Mother Mary keep you!  :-)

#17 of 235 Old 04-26-2014, 11:28 AM - Thread Starter

Welcome to the newcomers and returning challengers!

I just went to the bmi calculator to see where my bmi was sitting - 32.5 - obese. I want to get down to the "overweight" category but that is another 20 pounds away. One day at a time.

#18 of 235 Old 04-26-2014, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxy View Post

TrishWSU, you gained 12 lbs during your whole pregnancy!?
Yeah, well I think in actuality it was more than that. I can tell I lost a lot of muscle mass during my pregnancy so I probably gained more than the scale said. It was definitely not my norm; first two pregnancies I gained 20 lbs then put on 40 lbs during my 3rd! Plus I'd gained about 30 lbs in the six months before I got pregnant.

For this challenge I really need to focus on improving my eating habits. Right now I get up in the morning and end up drinking a few cups of coffee while I work on getting DD1 out the door for school, then nurse the baby and put her down for a nap. By then I'll have been up for two hours and still haven't eaten but since the baby only takes 30 minute naps I try to hurry up and get other stuff done. Sometimes I go several hours before I end up actually eating. I just spend the morning drinking coffee and grabbing whatever I can, usually a cookie or some candy, maybe a bowl of cereal. The only decent meal I eat is dinner and that's only because I have to make food for the family. So not healthy for me and I'm sure it's not helping my milk supply/quality any. I need outside help to keep me accountable for what I put in my mouth.

I weighed myself this morning....I was 172 lbs a week after giving birth and now I'm up to 177 lbs, so not cool.

Trish~mama to Kaelie 5/03 and Amelia 12/13, surro mama to Aidan 2/08 & Ellyss 6/09, 

#19 of 235 Old 04-26-2014, 03:43 PM - Thread Starter

Trish, hopefully those ofsus on the thread can encourage you in your eating habits. I know I eat while my babies nurse. Anyway to have some "handy" foods available to eat while you feed your LO? Clementines and pistachios are my current go to food.

#20 of 235 Old 04-26-2014, 04:17 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)

Yes, clementines and nuts are both good ideas. Most fruit is a good idea - bananas, apples (you could take the seeds out before you sit down with baby), kiwi (peel before you sit down), pear. I like almonds and cashews but I would need water with them to help with when they get stuck in my throat. Also carrots or even a small vegetable plate or tray could be good too.

My favorite thing to do with fruit is when we have a melon, like cantaloupe or honeydew, cut it in half, take the seeds out, and ball it into a bowl. I add kiwi, banana, apple, strawberries, grapes when they're in season - as much organic as possible - and sometimes more of other fruit that we have. My youngest likes fruit salad so much that she asks for it sometimes and it's become my default besides when we have a single piece of fruit like a whole apple or nectarine.

May God bless you and His Blessed Mother Mary keep you!  :-)

#21 of 235 Old 04-27-2014, 12:40 AM

ok ... have had some of our first birthday cake of the day (+ sweets)

+ we tried our hand at making fondant icing last night -for the first time ... so i did pick and tried some - for the next - and final birthday cake of the day

+ i binged on cheese late last night instead of going to bed at a reasonnable time ....

am now worried about tomorrow's weigh in ....

but SO glad there's a challenge still i can register with ....my progress having been so slow over the last year and a half, it is just GREAT to be able "reconnect" every time i stray from healthy eating and regain my focus ....

working out enough is no longer something hard now that i have already lost quite some weight, it's become much easier in fact (am trying to go and jog for 10- 12 min with DD1 who needs to prepare for some PE tests coming soon ..... i can see how easier it is for me compared to her although i'm 35 years older .... all due to the recent weight loss)

my issue is going to be "binge eating" at night instead of sleeping (as a way to help me process the heavily emotionnaly charged family situation i seem to be facing, repeatedly, i mean, there's always some other drama, the minute i think we'll be left in peace .....) as i forray into practising the 5:2 Mosely diet alongside the Harcombe guidelines ....

& i now have 8 days until my next medical visit (when i was hoping to be in the 57 kg range ....) ...so we'll see how things go ....

#22 of 235 Old 04-27-2014, 08:01 AM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
I've always wanted to do one of these. I'm 5'2" and 180. I'd likely to lose about 30 pounds but I seriously doubt that will happen.
#23 of 235 Old 04-27-2014, 05:58 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
63.3kg (139.55lb)

I'd love to lose 5kg this challenge. The weather is much cooler now so I am more motivated to exercise. Unfortunately I have a cold at the moment which is making me feel light-headed if I stand up for too long but once that is gone I can get started.

Mother of two spectacular girls, born mid-2010 and late 2012  mdcblog5.gif

#24 of 235 Old 04-27-2014, 08:25 PM

I stocked up on produce today so I'm all ready to go to focus on clean eating. I cut up carrots and cucumbers and made some hummus to have for quick snacks, plus I have lots of fruit now. This has been my downfall so far, not having healthy things to grab when I don't have time to make food for myself (which is like all the time.) I've lost 30 lbs before so I know I can do it again. Good luck, ladies! Here's to healthier, slimmer versions of us!

#25 of 235 Old 04-28-2014, 12:26 AM

131.17 lb this morning

with both birthday parties this week i "erased" 2 lb of the 3 lb loss of the last challenge .... grrrr ...

(i must say there has been some awful family dynamics at play regarding a funeral and secrecy and weird behavior these last 3 weeks  ... it didn't help with my sleep patterns and pent up anger = i eat compulsively at night !   ... have broached the subject with DD1, now have to calm down a bit and simplify what i say to DS and DD2, who are younger ... but still at risk of renewal of anxiety problems upon hearing that their own cousins, their age, lost their dad ... after my Breast cancer diagnosis in 2011,  plus DH spending time at hospital in 2012 and then ALSO "loosing his mind big way" in front of them in 2013 & spending even more time in hospital since ..... => they could understandably be worried when hearing that their cousins actually lost a parent ... in case it happens to them too ... and DH family is NOT supportive at all, on the contrary, they do occasion some MORE psychological issues ....)

now, i need renewed faith that "it's going to work IN SPITE of the temporary set back" .... i must be on my 10th challenge at least by now ... even if my progress is slow, there is some progress so i must NOT get discouraged .....

#26 of 235 Old 04-28-2014, 04:54 AM

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

I want to join!  I am 5'5'' and 152 lbs.  My goal is 140 lbs.  

#27 of 235 Old 04-28-2014, 06:56 AM

I also seemed to have erased half my efforts from the last challenge, starting this one at 166.2

French Canadian living in the Big Easy. Happy mama to Jaxson Lee born on 9/16/12 and loving wife to Denis Lee since 11/03/11

Lovesbikenew.giftreehugger.gifwhistling.gifnamaste.gifteapot2.GIFread.gifdishes.gifchampagne.gifeat.gifcoolshine.gifROTFLMAO.gifnotes.gifjog.gifbroc1.gifstillheart.gifbiggrinbounce.gifRainbow.gifcaffix.gifand all that good stuff

#28 of 235 Old 04-28-2014, 07:34 AM

Ok, ok. Twist my arm a little bit why don't you?! I have no excuses not to join this challenge right.now. 

I'm 5'4'' and currently hanging around 125 lbs. I had my first baby on Valentine's Day 2013 and lost ALL the weight really quickly by 6 weeks postpartum (I think I gained about 40 lbs total for the pregnancy- and I loosely followed the Brewer Diet). But then my baby turned out to have colic, some food allergies, and just was/is high needs in general.... so I gained some of the weight back. I call it my "cookie weight" because I just could not lay off the cookies/sweets, being so sleep deprived and not being able to eat a lot of my favorite foods (babygirl is allergic to eggs, and is intolerant to corn, rice, oats, legumes, and many types of dried fruits).... well, I "treated myself" a lot. :rotflmao

So: my goal is to up my activity level, get a little more toned (I used to run 30+ miles a week in a past life) and lose a few pounds to boot. I don't have a definite weight loss goal, and I try not to get too wrapped up in the numbers because I do have such a twisted relationship with food/my body.

I'd ideally like to get back to my pre-preg weight of 110 lbs, but I'm being gentle with myself- and for this challenge, I think I'd be just fine to lose around 10 lbs. 

I'm running a marathon relay this coming SUNDAY (eeeeep!!!) and haven't really trained for it, but I figure- hey, this challenge and the marathon and the warmer weather, combined with me finding a fabulous used BOB stroller off Craigslist (picking it up next Saturday)- it's a kick in the seat to get back to the level of activity and healthy eating that my body is craving right now. OH, and we might adopt a dog in the next few weeks, too, which will also be a good motivation to stay active. :joy 

Happy to meet you all!! 

24 years old. Central PA. Married to a medical student. DD1 - Valentine's Day 2013. treehugger.giflactivist.gifcaffix.gifdelayedvax.giffamilybed1.gifwhale.gif
#29 of 235 Old 04-28-2014, 07:39 AM

Quote:

my issue is going to be "binge eating" at night instead of sleeping (as a way to help me process the heavily emotionnaly charged family situation i seem to be facing, repeatedly, i mean, there's always some other drama, the minute i think we'll be left in peace .....) as i forray into practising the 5:2 Mosely diet alongside the Harcombe guidelines ....

Hugs. I also struggle sometimes with binge eating. I'm sorry for the family challenges you're facing, I know how rough that can be and how hard it can be to even focus on weight loss/health whne you're floundering like that. 

Something that has helped me in the past, in regards to binge eating, is to find healthy ways to deal with stressful situations (I chose running and guided meditation/prayer), but then to actually be KINDER to myself and not beat myself up for a binge. And to not focus on the numbers, ever- calories, weight, miles- nothing. I started to eat healthier and run more, bit by bit, and as I ran and ate healthier, I would actually not feel like bingeing or eating unhealthy foods as much because I knew it was so self damaging.

I can't say there's any real trick to it. But I just wanted to say, I've been there. And I'm sorry you're there right now. :Hug 

Jaxy likes this.

24 years old. Central PA. Married to a medical student. DD1 - Valentine's Day 2013. treehugger.giflactivist.gifcaffix.gifdelayedvax.giffamilybed1.gifwhale.gif
#30 of 235 Old 04-28-2014, 08:03 AM
AAK

Quoted: 11 Post(s)

My official weigh in is 179.4 (I am happy because I lost 2 pounds this week!).  My height is 5' 6" tall.  

I would love to hear from others about conquering emotional eating.  I am really battling that lately.  

Amy

Mom to three very active girls Anna (14), Kayla (11), Maya (8). 

Tags
Weight Management

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page