Weight loss for post partum vegetarian - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 15 Old 05-01-2014, 04:11 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
I have two kids: ds was born in spring 2012 and dd was born two months ago. I'm 35 years old. For most of my adult life I was always the skinny one until I reached around 30 when my metabolism stated to slow. When I started getting chubby I decided to work out regularly and got an elliptical and did 30 minutes a day for ~5 days a week, which generally burned about 420 calories. When I got pregnant the first time I gained a lot of weight but luckily most of it was gone a year later with in me doing too mich other than lots if walking in the first few months after ds was born. For dd's pregnancy I gained to a of weight again despite that I was more careful what I ate and tried to be more physical. Before I was ever pregnant, back when I was on the elliptical every day, I was about 125 pounds. Now I've been at 175 pounds for a month. I think I was about 185right after dd was born but I was desperate to loose some weight and I went vegan for a week and lost 10 pounds but I felt really low energy and sick from being vegan and always hungry, when it started to affect my milk supply I stopped. But now I seem to have plateaued at 175 and I don't know what to do. I've already done so much like cutting the size of my breakfast, going for longer walks and walking faster, and I cut out all sweets. I mean like no cookies or chocolate for a month (I did have 2 small eggs at Easter but i swear that's it). Nothin is working! I don't understand. I've added a walk to my dad and I'd describe it as short but rigorous - I lie a bit of the way up the mountain and further up is a park and starting yesterday I push both kids (70 pounds including stroller) up the mountain to the park and do a quick little loop, all together this takes 30 minutes from the time I leave until I get home. Them I'm outside for at least an hour playing with ds. In the morning the walk is about 40 minutes plus about 40 minutes being active at the park with ds after. I'm probably outside for about 3.5-4 hours per day now, a good portion of which is spent being active. Why isn't the weight coming off? Isn't it just science? I don't understand. We have an elliptical but I really don't know that I could add a third workout to my day, especially given that it would have to be at night and I'm exhausted by then.

Any suggestions? Every time I pass a mirror I'm in shock.

I'm strict lacto ovo vegetarian and have been for over 12 years so meat based diets aren't an option.

Thanks

ETA: not to sound pompous but before the kids when I was on the elliptical every day I loved my body. It was so hot, I look at the dresses I used to wear and I wonder if ill ever get my body back greensad.gif I'm willing to settle for 130 pounds, which means I have to loose another 45 pounds and none is coming off
#2 of 15 Old 05-01-2014, 05:04 PM
Dia

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Can you share what you normally eat?

I don't eat animal products at all. But I find a lot of vegans/vegs have problems with the diet because you they still eat processed foods, and actually heavily rely upon them as a vegan.

Mama to one amazing ecbaby2.gif
#3 of 15 Old 05-01-2014, 05:25 PM - Thread Starter

Well today I had 2 poached eggs , cottage cheese and piece of toast for breakfast, soup and toasted tomato with cheese sandwich for lunch, 2 applies and some tortilla chips with hummus/salsa for snack, and were having a homemade thai coconut soup with rice for dinner. I have a bowl I kashi cereal before bed or I wake up starving, I think because dd nurses during the night.

Thabks!
#4 of 15 Old 05-01-2014, 05:28 PM - Thread Starter

Diet is pretty consistent everywhere except dinner because dh does the cooking but he's pretty health conscious too.

Every day for lunch I have a bowl of Amy's soup and either grilled cheese or toasted
Tomato with cheese
#5 of 15 Old 05-01-2014, 09:02 PM
Dia

If I was trying to lose weight, I would be eating a great deal more greens. Salads, smoothies, however you like them.

I too am nursing a baby through the night, I understand how hungry it makes you!

Mama to one amazing ecbaby2.gif
#6 of 15 Old 05-01-2014, 09:45 PM - Thread Starter

More greens! I was thinking of replacing my lunch sandwich with a salad. Thanks!
#7 of 15 Old 05-05-2014, 07:09 PM

If you are serious, you need to eat way more fresh fruit and vegetables. I used to only ever be skinny too, so I know how you feel.
#8 of 15 Old 05-05-2014, 08:23 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Slow down on the bread, tortilla chips, etc, maybe eat some once a day instead of 2-3?

French Canadian living in the Big Easy. Happy mama to Jaxson Lee born on 9/16/12 and loving wife to Denis Lee since 11/03/11

Lovesbikenew.giftreehugger.gifwhistling.gifnamaste.gifteapot2.GIFread.gifdishes.gifchampagne.gifeat.gifcoolshine.gifROTFLMAO.gifnotes.gifjog.gifbroc1.gifstillheart.gifbiggrinbounce.gifRainbow.gifcaffix.gifand all that good stuff

#9 of 15 Old 05-05-2014, 08:38 PM - Thread Starter

I replaced my lunch sandwich with a lunch salad. I also started doing 10 minutes in the elliptical, which doesn't sound like a lot but is enough as Im out if practice plus I have two little ones.

Do you think Id have to cut out bread for breakfast and lunch? Like for breakfast I like a poached egg, some cheese and one piece of toast with a little fruit, is that still too much bread if I cut out the two slices at lunch? I guess I like bread more than I thought...
#10 of 15 Old 05-06-2014, 08:32 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Everybody has different opinions when it comes to diet, but one thing is sure, when you exercise you burn carbs before you burn fat. So if you are filled with carbs, you won't get to the fat (or not as much). Also, I understand that you have very little time for exercise, but I would try and get 4 times 30 minutes a week. Start slowly and try to get there. Or if you can't do 30 try at least 15 minutes a day. Good luck and you can join us in our weight loss challenge if you wish :)

French Canadian living in the Big Easy. Happy mama to Jaxson Lee born on 9/16/12 and loving wife to Denis Lee since 11/03/11

Lovesbikenew.giftreehugger.gifwhistling.gifnamaste.gifteapot2.GIFread.gifdishes.gifchampagne.gifeat.gifcoolshine.gifROTFLMAO.gifnotes.gifjog.gifbroc1.gifstillheart.gifbiggrinbounce.gifRainbow.gifcaffix.gifand all that good stuff

#11 of 15 Old 05-06-2014, 01:57 PM

To me, your diet sounds like it has an emphasis on healthy fats, which is what I eat when I'm trying to gain weight I know you're currently breastfeeding that's why I hesitated to bring it up.

That said, I thought I might elaborate a bit more on my experience. I was only ever skinny for the first 40 years of my life, no matter what level of exercise or big or small quantities of food I ate until Increasing the level of healthy fat in my diet. Now if I want to lose body fat I don't change my diet I just increase the level of fresh fruit and vegetables and the rest seems to take care of itself. Of course, don't go overboard because you'll get too skinny.
#12 of 15 Old 05-06-2014, 04:39 PM
AAK

Quoted: 11 Post(s)

I think that since you cut the bread out of your lunch, that you should be able to keep a piece of toast with your egg.  Truthfully, after changing your sandwich to a salad for lunch, I think your diet looks great. 

A couple reminders though:  drink lots of water, and don't discount the importance of sleep.  I know that sleep may be hard to come by, but it can be hard to shed pounds if you are tired all the time.  

Good luck.  

Amy

Mom to three very active girls Anna (14), Kayla (11), Maya (8). 
#13 of 15 Old 05-09-2014, 03:20 AM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)

Be easy on yourself, momma. Two months post partum means that your hormones are still in some upheaval. Some of the weight loss issue may actually be hormones produced from breastfeeding.  Don't give up breastfeeding just because of that, but for some women they can't lose a thing while they are breastfeeding. I second the "more fruits and vegetables". I am an lacto-ovo vegetarian as well and I try to have lots of beans and eggs in as unprocessed form as possible. One of my favorite things is "Esau's porridge" which has lentils, rice, mushrooms, onions, and oil in it. I eat it for breakfast with toasted tomato sandwiches.  Lunch and supper I have been trying to have more salads, too. I love eating frozen blueberries.

It sounds like you have the exercise part of weight loss down pat. Keep it up. Being outside exercising is even better to get the vitamin D from sun exposure.

How much sleep are you getting? I know for myself my 4.5 month old twins don't both sleep through the night yet so I am breast feeding them at night. Thankfully co-sleeping has been working for me and DH especially with my youngest twin who seems to want to suck all night long.  Not enough sleep can affect your weight loss as well. 

What about water consumption? I know with breast feeding I drink a lot, but I think even more than that is needed to help weight loss and help control your hunger.

Jaxy likes this.

Crafty Geeky lady (37, hypothyroid) married 7/2010 love of my life (42, azoospermia). I believe in MIRACLES! Twin boys born 12/21/13 at 40 weeks 2 days! 3/52 crafts in 2014 Ramsey's BS1: Done! 2/17/12 BS 2 goal: 6/7/17 no sperm initial DX 3/23/12 BFP 4/7/13!
#14 of 15 Old 05-09-2014, 08:49 PM - Thread Starter

Yes I've decided to be easier on myself though the changes seem to be working as I've lost 5 pounds since last week.

pp - I think I remember with ds that I started to loose weight faster once he was no longer exclusively bf. I think I'm one if those people who stays a bit chubby when breastfeeding, especially exclusively. I would not give up breastfeeding for anything! I'd rather be plump!
Jaxy likes this.
#15 of 15 Old 05-12-2014, 02:44 AM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)

Good to hear some progress has been made for you.  It is such an important time for your little one to get their nutrition from you. I hope you can enjoy it and work toward a healthier weight a little at a time.

Crafty Geeky lady (37, hypothyroid) married 7/2010 love of my life (42, azoospermia). I believe in MIRACLES! Twin boys born 12/21/13 at 40 weeks 2 days! 3/52 crafts in 2014 Ramsey's BS1: Done! 2/17/12 BS 2 goal: 6/7/17 no sperm initial DX 3/23/12 BFP 4/7/13!

Tags
Weight Management

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page