Encouragement from formerly heavy mamas who started exercising? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 05-02-2014, 05:06 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
I'm 39 and have about 60 pounds to lose, and I recently realized that I've become complacent about it, like "Oh well, I guess this is just how I am now." I was thin until my 30s and don't feel like myself this way, and I feel ready to do something about it.

But I have this mentality like I'm too old and too heavy to embark on an exercise program, like it's too late to really make any significant changes. I know logically that's not true, but I'd love some encouragement from those of you who have been where I am and are active exercisers now.

I go on very occasional short walks, but that's it. I'm planning to start with regular (4x/week) 3-mile walks, and then see how I want to change it up once that's comfortable. One thing that popped into my head last night as I was flossing my teeth was that I would never skip flossing because, ew, plaque! But I skip exercise every day, and that's probably causing plaque to build up in my arteries and heart, not just my teeth! Ewwww!!! And, holy hell!!!!

Where did you start your exercise journey, and where are you now?

DH+Me 1994 heartbeat.gif DS 2004 heartbeat.gif DD 2008 heartbeat.gif DDog 2014
#2 of 5 Old 05-03-2014, 07:10 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
I am where you are. You're not alone. I find once I am a few days into eating well and exercising I feel unstoppable. But I am back in a slump right now and am having trouble getting out. Managing day to day life feels more important. But I absolutely know that I can do better in my life if I am healthier.
#3 of 5 Old 05-03-2014, 08:52 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Thank you, Springshowers! It helps to have some commiseration.

I went for a walk yesterday and today. It was surprising how easy it was -- I thought after being inactive for so long it'd feel tough, but once I got going I was able to go fast and feel strong. I felt great after both walks -- I forgot how good that feeling is!

I still feel like I have a loooong, almost insurmountable road ahead of me. One that I've travelled a few steps down several times in the past, with no lasting results. But when I start thinking big-picture like that I get overwhelmed and start to feel hopeless, so I'm trying to just focus on the short term.

DH+Me 1994 heartbeat.gif DS 2004 heartbeat.gif DD 2008 heartbeat.gif DDog 2014
#4 of 5 Old 05-06-2014, 07:47 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

I lost about 40 lbs by continually doing small things to make myself healthier. I started by exercising a half hour at least four days I slowly over a period of years tweaked my routine to fit my needs and give me a challenge. I started cleaning up my diet slowly. I listened to my body and stopped before I got full. I did simple things like weaning sugar out of my hot and iced tea and not using mayonnaise. Instead of doing one huge change I did many many little changes so everything seemed doable. I kept the weight off for three years until I got pregnant again. Now I'll have to go through it all again after the baby, but hey, I've done it before and i can do it again.

#5 of 5 Old 05-16-2014, 02:51 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)

i found that tweaking my food intake was more efficient for weight loss than being more committed to exercising ...

i mean, every time i exercised "just a bit more" than what can pass as normal daily activity ... i tended to imagine that i could eat much more "since i've just exercised"

... so for me the "magic formula " ended up easing in on the exercising this last winter  but being much more attentive about food intake (portion control, but not always, the harcombe eating plan lets you eat large quantities but in a different combination than what you are used to doing + i also switch with eating 5:2 diet style or even JUDDD ... it's not so much that i eat far less, it's that i now eat differently -with treats and food that are not in the plan too = it just makes for a slower weight loss NOT a pound or more per week ... sometimes one or two pounds per month on average BUT i enjoy my food much more than when i was overweight ...)

+ it's easier to exercise now that the weight is mostly gone (which i find irritating in retrospect LOL)

and i DID walk everywhere i could walk to (when the physio or the eye doctor told me not to exercise for that many weeks ...)

Tags
Fitness , Weight Management

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page