2Likes
  • 1 Post By SweetSilver
  • 1 Post By AAK

#1 of 10 Old 07-25-2014, 10:36 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
ONE DAY without sugar

Today is ONE DAY without sugar, honey, maple syrup, etc. One day. I can do ONE DAY, right? I've done one day before, even 3 days and that really reset my palate nicely.

I don't want to give up sugar, but you can crave more and more and it still isn't enough. And I desperately need to kick start some weight loss after slowly gaining 15 pounds (ack!)

So far I've had my yogurt and berries without my usual spoonful of sugar, and put plain cream in the coffee instead of vanilla creamer.

I would skip white breads, but I just came back from camping and that's all I have today and I need to head out to work, but otherwise no dried fruit or dates, no juice. Whole fruit is fine. If I have the white bread, it will be with a sandwich.

One Day. Part way through it already.

Wish me luck!
pumabearclan likes this.

Give me a few minutes while I caffeinate.
#2 of 10 Old 07-25-2014, 10:48 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
You can do it! I would join you but I had honey on my morning toast. But I'll do the rest of the day with no sugar along with you anyway.

I'm doing chicken salad on anadama bread and a nectarine for lunch, then chicken pasta and broccoli for dinner. I'll skip the afternoon cookie and after-dinner Popsicle I probably would have had otherwise.
#3 of 10 Old 07-25-2014, 11:48 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by limabean View Post
You can do it! I would join you but I had honey on my morning toast. But I'll do the rest of the day with no sugar along with you anyway.
That's how I felt about the white bread. I almost didn't do it today, but if not today, then when? I had a "stadium bun", whatever that means, and it had HFCS as the 3rd ingredient. Leftover from camping. I had a bratwurst (not too fatty, also from camping) and some delicious raw sauerkraut on top, with watermelon and "naughty coffee" before heading out to work. Just cream, no sugar. Passed on the potato chips (leftover from camping).

Made it through one more meal and half the day gone.

#4 of 10 Old 07-25-2014, 08:04 PM - Thread Starter

Having a tough time for dinner, but making it. The only thing keeping me from caving right now is the promise of some treats tomorrow. But I think I will keep the yogurt and coffee sugar free. They were surprisingly good without sugar. I'd forgotten.

I might even try again next Friday. Friday I'm either working and/or out and about, and I can overindulge.

Anyway, I better go to bed early, cause this evening is getting tricky. Nothing I eat is quieting the increasing urge to eat dd7's chocolate Joe Joe's.

#5 of 10 Old 07-26-2014, 07:23 AM
AAK

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
You inspired me. I am doing this today -- actually, I am hoping to last through the weekend. We just finished a month of events that were full of sugar and I over-indulged. This will be a good kick off to getting back on track. I just had a cup of tea (no sugar). For breakfast I will have some oatmeal with fresh berries and plain rice milk. I don't know about the rest of the day (or tomorrow) yet.

Amy
pumabearclan likes this.

Mom to three very active girls Anna (14), Kayla (11), Maya (8). 
#6 of 10 Old 07-26-2014, 07:38 AM - Thread Starter

Good luck!

That is exactly why I posted it instead of just doing it. That and getting just a wee bit more motivation, and I really needed it by the end of the day! Knowing it was for only one day (or a weekend) I think made it easier to stick with it, and hopefully I'll get some lingering results. I'd like to do this more regularly because I know how sugar and sweets tend to creeeep into your diet more and more until you can never get enough. I don't intend to ever give it up entirely. I like my sweets way too much.

Now I'm going to have my yogurt and berries and coffee, sans sugar, and finally have some cookies!

#7 of 10 Old 07-26-2014, 09:00 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
I made it through yesterday okay. I ended up having a stirfry bowl for dinner.

Today I'm taking the kids to a movie, so there's definitely some sugar going on today. Maybe I'll do another sugar-free day on Sunday.
#8 of 10 Old 07-27-2014, 07:43 AM
AAK

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Well, I didn't completely make it through yesterday. I am trying again today. I need to plan out some snacks so I don't just "grab" the first thing I see. However, I did do quite well. I just slipped up at the end of the day.

Like I said, I just came off of an overindulgent month. Even though yesterday wasn't 100%, it is helping me get myself back on track and in control.

I can do this.

Amy

Mom to three very active girls Anna (14), Kayla (11), Maya (8). 
#9 of 10 Old 07-27-2014, 03:41 PM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
YOU CAN DO THIS!

Take your time, it will take time! I was addicted to sugar and carbs, absolutely addicted. It was an hourly struggle at times. It took many weeks of discomfort and willpower until I was sugar-less but it was worth every single moment of discomfort.

A low-carb support group can be a real help to you as there will be some specific challenges that anyone who has transitioned to low-carb will be familiar with. It's a metabolic shift, it's not like "eating less" or cutting out pizza, for example. Your body has to transition to a new fuel source: fat, protein, and complex carbs (if you still eat them).

YOU CAN DO THIS!

Fingers crossed for you and wishing you the best
Puma
#10 of 10 Old 07-27-2014, 08:14 PM - Thread Starter

I definitely have been enjoying a bit of sugar, and added a small amount to my coffee today. But it definitely reset things some. I'll try again on Friday to have a sugar-free day. Maybe the second time won't be so damn hard at the end of the day! It would be great to do a 3-day stretch again, but this is what I want right now.

I'll touch base on Friday. Good luck to all that are up for the challenge! It's just one day, you don't need to give it up forever.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page