ONE DAY without sugar - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 
 17Likes

#1 of 32 Old 07-25-2014, 11:36 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
ONE DAY without sugar

Today is ONE DAY without sugar, honey, maple syrup, etc. One day. I can do ONE DAY, right? I've done one day before, even 3 days and that really reset my palate nicely.

I don't want to give up sugar, but you can crave more and more and it still isn't enough. And I desperately need to kick start some weight loss after slowly gaining 15 pounds (ack!)

So far I've had my yogurt and berries without my usual spoonful of sugar, and put plain cream in the coffee instead of vanilla creamer.

I would skip white breads, but I just came back from camping and that's all I have today and I need to head out to work, but otherwise no dried fruit or dates, no juice. Whole fruit is fine. If I have the white bread, it will be with a sandwich.

One Day. Part way through it already.

Wish me luck!

"Let me see you stripped down to the bone. Let me hear you speaking just for me."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 32 Old 07-25-2014, 11:48 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
You can do it! I would join you but I had honey on my morning toast. But I'll do the rest of the day with no sugar along with you anyway.

I'm doing chicken salad on anadama bread and a nectarine for lunch, then chicken pasta and broccoli for dinner. I'll skip the afternoon cookie and after-dinner Popsicle I probably would have had otherwise.
#3 of 32 Old 07-25-2014, 12:48 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by limabean View Post
You can do it! I would join you but I had honey on my morning toast. But I'll do the rest of the day with no sugar along with you anyway.
That's how I felt about the white bread. I almost didn't do it today, but if not today, then when? I had a "stadium bun", whatever that means, and it had HFCS as the 3rd ingredient. Leftover from camping. I had a bratwurst (not too fatty, also from camping) and some delicious raw sauerkraut on top, with watermelon and "naughty coffee" before heading out to work. Just cream, no sugar. Passed on the potato chips (leftover from camping).

Made it through one more meal and half the day gone.

"Let me see you stripped down to the bone. Let me hear you speaking just for me."
#4 of 32 Old 07-25-2014, 09:04 PM - Thread Starter

Having a tough time for dinner, but making it. The only thing keeping me from caving right now is the promise of some treats tomorrow. But I think I will keep the yogurt and coffee sugar free. They were surprisingly good without sugar. I'd forgotten.

I might even try again next Friday. Friday I'm either working and/or out and about, and I can overindulge.

Anyway, I better go to bed early, cause this evening is getting tricky. Nothing I eat is quieting the increasing urge to eat dd7's chocolate Joe Joe's.

#5 of 32 Old 07-26-2014, 08:23 AM
AAK

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
You inspired me. I am doing this today -- actually, I am hoping to last through the weekend. We just finished a month of events that were full of sugar and I over-indulged. This will be a good kick off to getting back on track. I just had a cup of tea (no sugar). For breakfast I will have some oatmeal with fresh berries and plain rice milk. I don't know about the rest of the day (or tomorrow) yet.

Amy

Mom to three very active girls Anna (14), Kayla (12), Maya (8). 
#6 of 32 Old 07-26-2014, 08:38 AM - Thread Starter

Good luck!

That is exactly why I posted it instead of just doing it. That and getting just a wee bit more motivation, and I really needed it by the end of the day! Knowing it was for only one day (or a weekend) I think made it easier to stick with it, and hopefully I'll get some lingering results. I'd like to do this more regularly because I know how sugar and sweets tend to creeeep into your diet more and more until you can never get enough. I don't intend to ever give it up entirely. I like my sweets way too much.

Now I'm going to have my yogurt and berries and coffee, sans sugar, and finally have some cookies!

#7 of 32 Old 07-26-2014, 10:00 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
I made it through yesterday okay. I ended up having a stirfry bowl for dinner.

Today I'm taking the kids to a movie, so there's definitely some sugar going on today. Maybe I'll do another sugar-free day on Sunday.
#8 of 32 Old 07-27-2014, 08:43 AM
AAK

Well, I didn't completely make it through yesterday. I am trying again today. I need to plan out some snacks so I don't just "grab" the first thing I see. However, I did do quite well. I just slipped up at the end of the day.

Like I said, I just came off of an overindulgent month. Even though yesterday wasn't 100%, it is helping me get myself back on track and in control.

I can do this.

Amy

#9 of 32 Old 07-27-2014, 04:41 PM

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
YOU CAN DO THIS!

Take your time, it will take time! I was addicted to sugar and carbs, absolutely addicted. It was an hourly struggle at times. It took many weeks of discomfort and willpower until I was sugar-less but it was worth every single moment of discomfort.

A low-carb support group can be a real help to you as there will be some specific challenges that anyone who has transitioned to low-carb will be familiar with. It's a metabolic shift, it's not like "eating less" or cutting out pizza, for example. Your body has to transition to a new fuel source: fat, protein, and complex carbs (if you still eat them).

YOU CAN DO THIS!

Fingers crossed for you and wishing you the best
Puma
#10 of 32 Old 07-27-2014, 09:14 PM - Thread Starter

I definitely have been enjoying a bit of sugar, and added a small amount to my coffee today. But it definitely reset things some. I'll try again on Friday to have a sugar-free day. Maybe the second time won't be so damn hard at the end of the day! It would be great to do a 3-day stretch again, but this is what I want right now.

I'll touch base on Friday. Good luck to all that are up for the challenge! It's just one day, you don't need to give it up forever.

#11 of 32 Old 09-12-2014, 07:53 AM
#12 of 32 Old 09-16-2014, 01:31 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I use stevia as a substitute, but find it quite expensive
#13 of 32 Old 09-16-2014, 03:33 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
I'm currently working through a sugar addiction, and have decided to give up sugar for a while. Almost every year, I try to do this, and it has always resulted in mood swings, and I usually give up after a day or two. (same for coffee lol)

Well ladies, I am happy to say that I've been sugar free since Sept. 9!! I decided to try a 21 day sugar detox, and so far so good. Luckily, I work at home, and my kids are in school now. The first day was pretty rough, and I had really bad brain fog/mild headache. So, I didn't do much work that day. I read the cravings are the worst between day 3-4, but my cravings were the worst on day 7 and 8.......perhaps that's because on day 7, when we went grocery shopping and I passed a shelf of Donut and Coffee ice cream!!! Then today, I watched an episode of Masterchef, where they made cheesecake! Cheesecake, my weakness. I snacked on almonds the whole time, drooling!

http://www.chewfo.com/diets/the-21-d...oods-to-avoid/
I'm trying to reset my body. I'm following this 21 day detox, where I cannot have any breads, potatoes, white rice, sugar, fruit, dairy except for butter, etc. (bread is easy, since I quit that long ago. dairy is tougher) Anything that breaks down into sugar is a no no. I've been filling myself up with tons of veggies, good fats and oils, nuts, meat, eggs, etc. I drink coffee with butter, coconut oil, cinnamon, and vanilla, blended up. Lots of water throughout the day. The main drawback, aside from cravings, is there seems to be less of a variety.

Going one day without sugar is a great idea. If you want to do more than that, well power to you!

"Medical propaganda ops are, in the long run, the most dangerous. They appear to be neutral. They wave no political banners. They claim to be science. For these reasons, they can accomplish the goals of overt fascism without arousing suspicion.” — Jon Rappoport

#14 of 32 Old 09-16-2014, 03:44 PM - Thread Starter

I think it's time for another day. Been pretty good recently, but another reset would be in order. More than a day? I realize the benefits, but not ready to commit to that yet!

#15 of 32 Old 09-16-2014, 04:29 PM
AAK

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetSilver View Post
I think it's time for another day. Been pretty good recently, but another reset would be in order. More than a day? I realize the benefits, but not ready to commit to that yet!
Since my first attempt, I got on the ball and did several days in a row. In fact, I have lost about 13 pounds. This last weekend, I got off track, and I have been struggling to get back. I will commit again beginning tomorrow (today is already a lost cause).

Amy

#16 of 32 Old 09-16-2014, 06:50 PM - Thread Starter

Tomorrow it is.... I'll join you. For *A* day!

#17 of 32 Old 09-16-2014, 07:22 PM

At this point, I am really looking forward to the end! My hope is to completely rid myself of cravings for sugar and dairy, and rarely eat them in the future (well, except for butter. I think butter is good I will post back later for an update!

Don't feel bad about going off track. Even if you only do one day, what a good break that would be for your body! Think of each sugar free day as an individual success.

"Medical propaganda ops are, in the long run, the most dangerous. They appear to be neutral. They wave no political banners. They claim to be science. For these reasons, they can accomplish the goals of overt fascism without arousing suspicion.” — Jon Rappoport

#18 of 32 Old 09-17-2014, 09:20 AM - Thread Starter

Good morning! And the start of another Day Without Sugar. Started last night but drank some juice. Here's my No Sugar list:

No sugar (duh)
No honey or other sweeteners
No dried fruit
No white flour
No juice

Limited:

Whole grain bread
Potatoes
I'm allergic to corn and rice, otherwise they would be on this list as well. My usual grain is quinoa. That's OK and I don't eat too much.

Fruit is OK in any amount.
as is lemon juice in water

This morning's breakfast is my frozen marionberries on plain yogurt. Coffee with half and half.

#19 of 32 Old 09-18-2014, 09:00 AM
AAK

I did pretty well yesterday. I had an oops when my dd was baking a cake and I swiped a bit of batter without thinking. (dang! wheat and sugar)
I am on day two.
I had plain yogurt with a chopped up pear for breakfast.

In addition to your above list, I am pretty much wheat free right now.
Regarding grains, I have brown rice (not often) and I will have oatmeal some mornings with cinnamon, fruit, and stevia (if the fruit doesn't sweeten it enough).

Amy

#20 of 32 Old 09-18-2014, 09:17 AM - Thread Starter

My oopses () were bigger than yours, but nothing involving sugar. Swigged a 4oz glass of OJ before remembering that was off the list. Later I had fish and chips, thinking a small amount of flour would be OK but forgot about the giant pile of chips before remembering potatoes were limited too. But no sugar, and didn't even have a difficult day. I don't think I've been on a big sugar binge, and I've been exercising a lot, which I think is helping.

I will have one more day today, then I'm having some of that vanilla half and half in my coffee. I hear it calling to me in my sleep....

Down another pound and a half as a gift for all this effort I've been putting into my eating and exercising habits.

#21 of 32 Old 09-20-2014, 05:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beckybird View Post
except for butter. I think butter is good
Butter is a fat, it isn't really dairy as most of the "dairy" elements (including the sugars, and milk is high in natural sugar) have been removed or cultured in the making of the butter.

Same with most cheese (minimally cultured cheese like ricotta, farmers cheese, cottage cheese... I consider these to be "dairy" but a hunk of cheddar not-so-much).
#22 of 32 Old 09-20-2014, 08:28 AM - Thread Starter

I do well with butter/cheese/yogurt, but since my daughter is allergic to dairy and anaphylactic, my brain won't let me dismiss it as *not* being dairy.

#23 of 32 Old 09-20-2014, 08:31 AM - Thread Starter

Ended up doing 3 days all together of no-sugar. Last night I had a chocolate croissant and some fizzy "juice pop". Made it past the minimart where the candy was. Today I'm still having yogurt and berries, no sugar, and we'll see how I feel about the coffee. Definitely going to let myself have some juice, but that's tricky because it's easy to have too much.

We are making s'mores tonight at our girl scout campfire event. I know I'll want one, but after 3 days of no sugar I think it would be enough fuel to blast me to Mars!

#24 of 32 Old 09-20-2014, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetSilver View Post
I do well with butter/cheese/yogurt, but since my daughter is allergic to dairy and anaphylactic, my brain won't let me dismiss it as *not* being dairy.
If your daughter is allergic to dairy she may be able to have ghee or goat cheese. Although I understand why you wouldn't want to risk it. At any rate, these are excellent foods and you could have them on hand for the rest of the family with a lower risk of exposing your daughter.

I don't eat yogurt or kefir, it's too hard on my digestion. We also use ghee a lot more than butter too. So I guess I'm not a big "dairy" person either even though we eat a lot of milkfat foods.

Incredibly, last night I ate an "ice cream" sundae, the first sugar I've had since last Christmas, and I was quite sick It was one of those twist ice cream places, which isn't even really ice cream... The evening was beautiful and we were driving past and saw people eating ice cream at the picnic tables and said, "why not?" Now I remember why not.
#25 of 32 Old 09-20-2014, 08:49 PM

SweetSilver, great job!

I cracked 2 days ago! I ate several apples, half and half in coffee, and some mini crab cakes. Not so bad, but it was against my guidelines. I decided that coffee is just not worth drinking unless there is some type of cream in it! Life is short lol. We went to Target today, and my snack was a bag of cashews and an apple. Walking past the cheesecake was tough, but I have learned from my week+ of no sugar that it's better to fill up with a fat/protein and fruit. I plan to keep dairy to an extreme minimum, and to make fruit my sweet treat. Let's see how long that lasts haha!

Have you ever made ice cream using bananas? Just peel and freeze several bananas. Once frozen, put them in the food processor with the metal blade. Process until they turn into crumbs, then add flavoring. Pumpkin pie spice is my favorite, but I've also tried peanut butter, vanilla, and chocolate. Process again until it forms into a large ball. Eat immediately. The texture is a lot like real ice cream, it takes on whatever flavoring you add, and it's naturally sweet without added sugar. This is great if you love ice cream but cannot (or will not) eat it.

#26 of 32 Old 09-21-2014, 07:43 AM - Thread Starter

pbc, luckily accidental exposure is low on our concerns, partly because we've been doing this so long. We did try goat's milk (I guess not cheese) a long time ago and it had a different but still bad reaction and I finally had to stop giving it to her. Her allergist wants us to try desensitizing her to dairy by adding a small amount to something like a muffin and giving her one bite daily, increasing the dose until she can tolerate an entire muffin. He's intrigued by the promising results of these kinds of desensitization trials for those with peanut and other allergies.

beckybird, you aced it according to my criteria. Wanna cross over??

I did have a fair amount of sugar yesterday-- broke down and put the vanilla half and half in my coffee, had some raisinettes (dark chocolate, slightly less cloying) and a s'more with double marshmallow. Potato chips. It was a cookout!

#27 of 32 Old 11-05-2014, 10:04 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
The first 3 days are the worst. If your craving seem unreasonably bad, you may have a nutritional deficiency you should get checked with you Doctor. Possibly eating more whole grains and starchy veggies is what you need to get over the hump.
#28 of 32 Old 11-30-2014, 12:42 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
oh,I understan how difficult it can be, i had to refuse eating any sweet product some years ago, and I was completely upset with this fact. but then I started to mix different products trying to cook smth as delicious as cakes and so on, and I did it)))))) nowadays I don*t eat sweet product at all, just don*t like them)
be creative and trust your strength)
good luck, ladies!
#29 of 32 Old 12-22-2014, 02:15 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
This sounds like a great challenge! I'll be the first to admit I'm a total sweets addict even when I'm trying to eat as healthy as possible. I think I could avoid the big trappings for a few days, but no creamer or sugar in my coffee sounds like a tough sell :P
#30 of 32 Old 12-22-2014, 06:19 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Cocunut milk/cream is a good substitute. Although I like coconut cream with a bit of cocoa powder in a cup of hot water even better.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page