Question for the experts. How do you get lean? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-11-2004, 11:46 PM - Thread Starter
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I would like once in my life to be really lean. The problem I run into is I'm slim, but not lean and muscular looking. I lift weights and walk. Any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-12-2004, 11:29 AM

What has worked for me in the past is weight training, as well as a few days of cardio (running), a bit of pilates or ballet classes, and a very low sugar diet.
I'd also recommend bikram yoga or ashtunga yoga. Both are great for producing a lean, strong body.
Old 05-12-2004, 02:13 PM

I use The Firm workouts, which incorporate weights into aerobics, and I have noticed a definite *leaner* look about my body. When I walk and turn, I see muscle tone. While I've lost tons of weight (19lbs an counting) and inches from everywhere, I love the fact that muscle is showing through where it should!
Old 05-12-2004, 05:32 PM - Thread Starter
Banned

Articles I've read on getting lean while maintaining muscle wanted you to eat tons of protien. I like meat okay, but not to that extent.
Old 05-13-2004, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleeping queen
Articles I've read on getting lean while maintaining muscle wanted you to eat tons of protien. I like meat okay, but not to that extent.
well that is just part of the theory...
see, muscle needs protien to grow, so you also need to be doing exercises that build muscle as well as eating more protien.
Exercises such as weight training, ballet, pilates, certain types of yoga, etc... all these help build muscle.
Running, spinning, etc are better for fat burning.

Also protien doesn't have to be meat... it can be meat, fish, cheese, milk, yogurt, nuts, nut butters, seitan (vital wheat gluten), tofu, tempeh, hemp seeds, eggs, whey protien, etc.

Also a diet higher in refined carbs and sugars will cause the body to store excess water weight... the less of these foods you eat, the less water stored... the leaner you will appear.
Old 05-20-2004, 12:21 AM

When I trained for a bodybuilding competition and got my bodyfat down to only 11% here's what I ate and did for 2 and 1/2 months:

5 meals a day eaten every 2-3 hours

Breakfast: 6 eggwhites with one whole egg, a bowl of oatmeal sweetened only with aspartame (if needed) and a whey protein shake made with 8 oz. of milk

Midmorning snack, lunch and afternoon snack, each: chicken breast seasoned only with no-salt herb seasonings, 1 serving brown rice or 1 small sweet potato (plain), as much green, leafy veggies (plain) as I wanted

Dinner: same as snacks and lunch but with no carbs and extra veggies

I drank 3 liters of water a day and an occasional diet soda and ate 3 Tbsp of peanut butter once a day for the fat. Cut out all other fat, salt and sugar, refined or natural.

Workouts:

Weight training: 4 days a week with free weights broken down as follows on separate days, legs, back and bis, chest and tris, shoulder and abs, legs. Heavy enough weights that I couldn't do more than 3 sets of 10 reps for upper body and 15 for lower.

Cardio: 30 minutes 3 times a week (most people need to do at least 30 minutes every day)

Cardio was done after weight training so that most of my strength was available for the heavy lifting and by the time I got to the cardio all of my blood sugar was burned off and I was using stored energy.

I did not use any diet or energy pills but had an occasional protein bar or protein shake. It is not healthy for a woman to maintain such a low bodyfat percentage, however. I read that in order for a woman to ovulate and have regular healthy menstrual cycles, she needs at least 20% bodyfat. If you want to have muscles you've got to lift heavy weights. If you are lifting weights and doing cardio and are thin but not muscular, you may need to cut back on the cardio and increase the weight training. Weight training and eating a high protein, low fat, complex carb diet is the way to get lean.

knit.gifSAHM to 3 boys and 1 man; 22 jammin.gif, 9REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, 5 FIREdevil.gifand now 1 year oldtoddler.gif!

Old 05-20-2004, 12:33 AM - Thread Starter
Banned

THanks, I don't have to worry about a menstual cycle, because I had a hysterectomy after my twins. I have to admit , it is great not having a menstraul cycle
Old 05-20-2004, 12:47 AM

There are other reasons why you should maintain a healthy bodyfat that's not too low. It helps protect your joints and internal organs and helps with proper functioning of your body in general. The diet regime I posted is very strict and is not something that could or should be maintained for the rest of your life. If you follow it, you will get lean but you have to be very careful when you go back to a normal diet because you could blow up fast.

knit.gifSAHM to 3 boys and 1 man; 22 jammin.gif, 9REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, 5 FIREdevil.gifand now 1 year oldtoddler.gif!

Old 05-20-2004, 08:06 PM

I competed in bodybuilding competitions many years ago and could have written MarineWifes post

I am muscular and lean, however I am tall and lean with long muscles. I've never been able to get real muscular. Everyone has a different build, so after taking all the suggestions here, just keep in mind that you have your own unique body type
Old 05-21-2004, 12:13 AM

Judo! Works wonders. Three times a week. Voila! Oh yeah- and I eat whole grains, fresh fruits and veg and skim milk and yogurt and natural peanut butter and tofu, amongst other things. Try VERY hard to stay away from "high fructose corn syrup" and "partially hydrogenated oils". (And guar gum and the like.) Those two things raise your bad cholesterol!
Old 05-25-2004, 01:22 PM - Thread Starter
Banned

Marinewife, how many total sets did you do for each body part. Did you do 3 sets per exercise?

User Tag List