Mothering Forum banner

8 week Healthy Weight Loss Challenge 18 starts October 13, 2014, join anytime

4K views 76 replies 11 participants last post by  SweetSilver 
#1 ·
I think it is time to change it up because some people find us in the middle of a challenge and don't feel they can jump in, but may lose their momentum by the time the next challenge starts. So continuing with this challenge, I will add those newcomers to our teams, keep track of their weight loss percentages and add it to the teams total for however long they are a part of the team to keep everyone motivated! The longer you participate, the better for your team.

Words of wisdom from Milk8shake (with minor modifications):
The version 1 thru version 15 eight week challenges were a great success, and many of us are up for another eight weeks - we're opening it up for any newbies who would like to join the next round of the challenge.

Please read below.

Background: The thought came to my head because I joined the "losing weight in 2012" thread, but I didn't have much motivation, and I had no-one to be accountable to. I was thinking about the Biggest Loser, and how teams can be such a motivation. So, I thought I would throw this out there for anyone who needs to get some weight loss happening, but just can't seem to get off the couch.

The challenge: Commit to an eight week weight loss challenge. You'll be assigned to a team, and your weight loss percentage will be measured on an individual and a team basis. The team with the highest loss percentage at the end of the eight weeks will be the winner. This is a TEAM effort. If you lose, your team wins! Your weekly progress will be updated on the leader board for all to see.

The requirements/rules:

1. You have to be willing to commit to the challenge beginning October 13, 2014 and ending December 1, 2014
  2. You have to be willing to commit to exercising a minimum of 4 x 30 minute sessions per week - the type of exercise is up to you!
  3. You have to be willing to check in and update your progress and weight at least weekly on Mondays.
  4. You have to be willing to share your weight and your height. (By PM if you are shy) You may not join if losing 1 lb / .5 kg per week will put you in an underweight category according to your BMI (check here) at the end of eight weeks.
  5. You may not join if you are pregnant. If you become pregnant during the challenge, weight loss up to your BFP will be added to the team challenge, but then I will ask that you wait until after your baby is born to join again.

The prize: A thinner waistline, a slimmer derriere, and the opportunity to bask in the glory of the winning team. The challenge will not start until Monday, October 13, 2014. Sign up now to let us know you are interested so I can begin making teams.

See less See more
#2 ·
Well here is the new challenge to help keep us all motivated! I will lose weight to look better for Christmas! December 1 is not that far away!

#3 ·
please count me in again ...
this plateau i've hit since spring time is annoying
but, on the other hand, i only have 6 to 8 pounds to loose by now
AND ... i've not been following properly the Harcombe phase 2 way of eating
(too many forays in phase 3) .... which explain totally why i'm where i am now ...

#6 ·
I'm in. Those biscuits over the last 3 days have added at least a pound to my weight since Monday's weigh-in, after a steady drop. Time to knuckle back under.

Feeling great with all the yoga in the mornings, and walking I've been doing, up and down steep trails.

Your BMI link was really helpful, by the way, more than I thought it would be. It actually gave me a nearly 40-pound range of what would be consider a healthy weight. I'm about 15 pounds from the upper limit of that. Would love to see a pound-per week drop, but would be happy just to see the underside of 155 again on a daily basis.

#7 ·
first weigh in for this challenge : 131 lb
i'm 5 foot 1 and aiming to reach 121 to 123 lb .... eventually ...after hitting a plateau for quite a few months ... but it's been at least 18 months already that i'm on my weight loss journey .... slowly but surely, i'm getting there !!!!!

#8 ·
142.6#. I'm 5'4". Blah. I've been subsisting on crappy food for the past 2 weeks, way too much sugar/chocolate/wine. Not enough water and veggies. And I feel it! Turning it around today, despite DH forgetting to get DD up in the middle of the night to pee, her then subsequently peeing the bed, coming into our room at 3:45 crying , which woke me up, baby up and DH up. Very early day for us :/
I'm already at work!!

#9 ·
Good morning! (yawn)

This morning 156. I'm 5'3". That's down another pound from last challenge (yay!)

Hoping for the next 3-4 pounds during this challenge that would get me firmly below 155 and to where I had plateaued for a while, and that 10 pounds down from this last weight gain. Of course, I would love to drop 7 instead, and be 10 pounds down for Christmas but I don't want to get greedy.

#10 ·
Well, well, well, right on time for my first challenge in what, 5-6 months!? Haven't been exercising/eating well at all :( I'll wait for the morning to weigh myself but I know it's not good! Been feeling bloated and tight in my clothes... Time to get back on track!
Went back to full time work (40h), got a promotion, now I'm only working daytime, finito evening work!! Which is good and bad for different reasons... My best bet to get exercise is to work out before work... Wake up 20-30 minutes earlier and get it done...! And more money means I can finally go back to eating healthier, problem is, less time to cook!! But I can shop at the coop and get my fave organic, powerful foods! We have been shopping at save-a-lot but it just doesnt cut it for healthy food...

I want to restart the 30 day shred program, cuz it makes me feel fit in only a few days!! And start running again, go up and down that crazy steep bridge, jump rope, abs, abs, abs....
Today got a lot of walking, got my hair cut for the first time in a year (yes... loll), got some new used clothes hehe. It was good! I don't know what I would do without my husband!!!! He is good to us!
Anddddd I'm about to bake a kind-of-healthy sweet potato pie.... loll!! Just need to eat very little of it!!!

#12 ·
For me 5 foot 9 inches tall.
Weigh in of 235. Ugh. I was doing so good for a couple of days last week. Then bamm - I want french fries!

Hope a few more ladies join us.

#13 · (Edited)
I think I'll join you (even though spending time online is one of the things that prevents my from getting my wide rear on the treadmill!). I seem to be having some kind of hormone issue, and I'm positive it's exacerbated by the way I've been eating for the last few months--way too many carbs and too much gluten, which I need to drop again anyway because I can't keeping pretending it doesn't affect me.

We have visiting family in town, and today is their last day here, so I'll jump on the wagon (and the treadmill) tomorrow.

My weigh-in stats are 5'7" and 208. Blah.

#14 ·
I knew it was bad but not THAT bad. I gained 15lbs over the summer :( Im at 181. That sure motivated me this morning to start the 30 day shred, which kicked my ass lol.

Reactions: melissel
#15 ·
I am sooooo sore today lol, but still pulled the baby bike trailer to the park and the coop (to get some fresh veggies :D) and tomorrow before work am going for the first time to a yoga class that's located in a super historical building with big windows and it just looks awesoooome lol! Haven't been to any kind of class in years, I CAN'T WAIT!! Already feeling better (aside from the soreness..)

Reactions: SweetSilver
#16 ·
It's the hardest thing to get back up after a hard day, but once you get back in the habit it's the best feeling. Knowing that you are never so down that you can't get up and do an hour of yoga or whatever. :)

The scale hit 155 today... 2 more to go and I've demolished those last 10 pounds that hitched a ride directly on my muffin top, and had been stubbornly hanging on.

#17 ·
Yes and working past that soreness just makes you feel so strong!!
Went to the yoga class and had a great time! Definitely going back! 30 day shred this morning was hard at first but necessary!
My meals have been great (made some butternut squash soup, froze half of it, organic beef stew, shrimp stir fry, etc) but baaad snacking decisions :( Actually I need to stock up on some healthy snacks and keep them handy (especially at work). I didnt even want that cookie I ate yesterday but I was so hungry and at work all we got is candy.Making some roasted chickpeas right now.
Feeling good although the scale isnt budging. Got to remember to be patient lol, its only been what, 4 days? haha.

#18 ·
Nobody's got anything to report this week? Hehe!
Very proud of myself! 3rd day of 30 day shred done, and cardio and push-ups are definitely getting easier!! After only 5 days of healthier eating and exercise, I already feel 10x stronger and fitter! Crazy what a little exercise will do to you. ANDDD today I did NOT cave in, a cowroker brought in d%^&ts (not going to mention it and make you drool lol) and I had an apple instead (a honeycrisp, organic, just delicious!!) Yay!

#19 ·
:laugh

Nothing much. Energy down. Doing fine. Hit 155 today, but we'll see. All I have left today and tomorrow is workworkwork. Feeling really tired and low today. Had to work yesterday, girls not feeling well on the couch so I did my yoga without (!!!!) my music and felt very discouraged, but managed to get in 30 minutes. Not bad, but I think I was angry and depressed because I was on the verge of tears at every downward dog.

Ugh. Hope this passes. I'm feeling very emotional over nothing and everything. "Just keep truckin' on..." Right?

#21 ·
I meant I ate an apple instead of a donut. Otherwise I ate my tofu stir-fry I had made for lunch ;)
Been drinking a light beer a day after work and it seems to satisfy me, I haven't been craving junk food or sweets!

#26 ·
Week 2: 233

Babies melting down a lot the last couple days. DH was ornery this weekend because of babies melting down. Glad he went back to work today.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.