Just got some bikes - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 05-21-2004, 12:29 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am so excited! We are moving to the mountains and decided that the best exercise we could do together is cycling. My husband has a road bike, but some of the best areas are dirt roads. We just bought some low-end mountain-friendly bikes. I am not sure what they are actually. I am pretty ignorant in this area. They are good for dirt roads, not for off-road, and they are built for a comfortable ride.

We also have some friends who tried to sell us a trailer about three years ago but I was nervous about my son riding here in down -- it's not very bike-friendly. By some miracle, the friends still have the trailer.

The other miracle is that Frederick likes to ride in the trailer. At the bike store he kept climbing into them and saying "ride." We rented bikes at Yosemite a few weeks ago and he loved it. He hates strollers, so this is an unexpected surprise.

I have gotten so damn flabby in the last two years that I am ready for some exercise. I am so excited.

Amanda Rose, author, Rebuild From Depression: A Nutrient Guide. Don't miss this opportunity to build a business telling friends about probiotic foods and grass fed meats: Beyond Organic Review.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 4 Old 05-22-2004, 10:40 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Yay! We are doing a similar thing. We set ourselves up last summer -- dh had his bike fixed up, he bought a trailer, and we found a used bike for me. We didn't use them as much as I would have liked. The kids absolutely love it though. I hear ya about biking in the city -- I am the world's wimpiest cyclist, and I know that my skill level isn't great. I confess, on larger roads, I bike on the sidewalk. : I do it very carefully, though -- I give peds a wide berth by going on the grass, and if there isn't room for that, I get off and trot past them on foot. If there are a lot of peds on a particular stretch of sidewalk, I walk too. I walk across all intersections when I'm biking on the sidewalk. I hate doing it, I always biked on the road growing up and was annoyed when I encountered cyclists on the wrong side of the road. But I don't want to endanger my kids, and if I didn't bike on the sidewalk, I would be driving my car. /rationalization.

I've figured out where to bike to to run most of my errands, play at parks, visit friends, so hopefully I'll be able to get good exercise and really cut back on my car use this summer. I just wish we had a longer biking season! Of course, if winters were mild enough for biking, summers would be too hot... as it is, I try to be home by 10 or 10:30 in July and Aug, otherwise I melt.

I don't know how I'll manage next summer, with an infant. My trailer is full, and I don't know how old infants can be to ride in a seat on the bike. Even then, I think having the baby on the bike with my and hauling two in the trailer would be too much for my ability.

Mom to DS(14), DS(12), DD(9), DS(6), DS (4), and DS(2)  

***4***8****13***17***21****26***heartbeat.gif****35****40

#3 of 4 Old 05-22-2004, 02:37 PM

I am envious of the great fun you will have biking as a family. We live in a huge city and we've struggled with the thought of biking as a threesome (dh and I just store our bikes for now

T
We have a family photograph of five on a bike. My parents are on a tandem bicycle with my oldest sister on the back, my other sister on the front, and my mom is pregnant with my brother - five on a single bike! My dad is Dutch so biking is in the blood but it is actually a fairly scary photo in today's world (no helmets, feet dangling, open metal baby seats )!
#4 of 4 Old 05-24-2004, 08:35 PM - Thread Starter

Well, we're about five days from the move, so we haven't used them yet. But I'm still so excited....

Shannon -- I'm looking forward to my husband pulling the trailer. I can't imagine pulling two children, much less three.

Amanda Rose, author, Rebuild From Depression: A Nutrient Guide. Don't miss this opportunity to build a business telling friends about probiotic foods and grass fed meats: Beyond Organic Review.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page