MDC RUNNING CLUB~May 24 - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-27-2004, 04:58 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have run all over campus today. does that count? :LOL In total I think I walked like 3 miles. (forgot wallet at library, forgot to return overdue library book, forgot my lunch had to go buy some -- are you seeing a pattern here?) All at high speed in flip floppy sandals. Go calves! Maybe i should get dr. scholls, my calf muscles would be fabulous!

In other good news, ta-da. I wrote 2 pages today. thanks mamas for the reminder that I don't have to wait for absent advisor to ok the writing process. She's too busy working on her house this week (and last and ...) to make it in to her paying job.

Good job jenny!
re: running in rain -- does your dc have a raincoat? raingear? even a windbreaker and fleece pants? Get out even if it is raining! A short time in the rain would be fun fun for my dd.

Kristin -- mom of Erin (11/5/02) and Leah (9/29/05)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-27-2004, 05:17 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by babybugmama
Okay this is gross...but have any of you gotten blisters under a toenail? My 2nd toe was really hurting and the nail bed was red...nothing else around it was red, no ingrown nail or anything like that. This morning after my run I was looking more closely at it and I noticed the nail was actually being pushed up, so I got a needle and gently poked at the skin that was stretched and all this clear liquid came out! Any ideas what that is?

By the way, I ran 60 minutes and it was a really good run, but now my shin is hurting (on the same leg as the blister thing). argh.
Soak your feet. Get a dish pan with the hottest water you can stand, add some soap, and soak 'em. I bet your shin hurts because you were favoring that side a teensey bit.

Kerc-- way to go on the writing. 2 pages is a real start.

Raingear -- We discovered that the cheapo cover for the umbrella stroller fits over the jogging stroller if you use a bit of string to extend the velco straps. It keeps Karen perfectly dry and warm without being too toasty.

Now, if I could just finish editing this frikin fraken paper I can send it back to the editors. Grrr. Darn lack of concentration. Blasted MS Word tables.
Old 05-27-2004, 09:19 PM

Y'all.....I did it....I signed up for the Disney Marathon. I am freaking out a little bit because it's in "only" seven months! I know it's plenty of time but still! I am excited about it too because dh and I decided to make it not a huge expensive trip with all the Disney crap but to have it be all about the marathon and maybe do Disney for one day.

The marathon sounds awesome though! You run through all the parks and it's very flat, and nice weather too supposedly.

Happy running, mamas! Welcome to all!
good luck writing Geo and Kerc!!
Peace.
Old 05-27-2004, 11:39 PM

mamabeth -- I actually looked into it -- I mean brought it up with dh. He is VERY anti disney and anti florida. So ummm, it is out. although it sounds great to me.

was someone here coming to duluth for grandmas?

Old 05-27-2004, 11:41 PM

mamabeth, you are awesome! Dh keeps hounding me to choose a marathon since he does marathons. The most I have ever run in a race is a 5k during a triathlon. I think you are an inspiration! Wow!

missbliss, we finally saw a little sun today. Wasn't that weather awful?

Have a great Memorial Day weekend all! I hope everyone gets healthy and/or prolific in the literary sense of the word.

I am off to a wedding with the fam in Boston. We even have a sitter coming with us to watch the dc for the evening so dh and I can hang with some college friends and DANCE! Does that count for my weekly goals?

I hope to have a much better running week next week!

Old 05-28-2004, 12:17 AM

Kerc, I'm coming to Grandma's! Not for myself, but to watch my dh run it! It's his first marathon. I'm so excited for him, he's going to be driving me crazy with his nervousness though! I'll stick with just getting started with running.
Old 05-28-2004, 12:25 AM

Well, I did manage to get out for a run today! It was awesome!

I ran 4 miles (well I almost ran the whole thing)
I ran a total of 38 min
I walked a total of 16 minutes.
It was broken down into run 9/walk 2 X 3, walk 1, run 11, walk 9

I feel so good now! Part of my issue about running in the rain is dd, but part of it is that when it is pouring out, I just don't feel like getting soaked , so it is all too easy to just talk myself out of running.

Congratulations Mamabeth! Wow, with 7 months, I'm sure you'll be in top notch shape by the time that rolls around! You inspire me!

Good job on the writing kerc and geo!

e&e's mama, wasn't it great to finally see the sun? Have a great time in Boston dancing w/your dh!

bbm, 60 minutes is great, I agree, your feet deserve a good soak!

jengi, good job getting started on the program! It really is amazing how quickly it goes, and how you keep getting stronger and stronger.
Old 05-28-2004, 12:46 PM

I'm baaaaacckkkk!!!!!

Hello Ladies,

Reading this thread makes me realize how much I've missed and like this little group. I left for Philadelphia last Friday evening in between two cells of a thunderstorm. I left my house at 4:30 and my head hit the pillow in Philly at 2:00 AM after pumping and dumping in my hotel room. (I hate travelling without dd and dh but pumpin'-n-dumpin' makes it so much worse.) Came back from Philly late Tuesday evening; home from work on Wed and too busy yesterday to get a post up so here it is Friday and I'm checking in.

Update for the week of May 17 -- I ran 5.2 miles on Sunday, 4 miles Wednesday and 4 miles on Saturday (on the treadmill at the hotel in Philly - yuk but I did it).

I skipped Sunday in Philly because I needed to catch up on sleep. But, I then found out where I could safely run in the city so I ran about 4.3 miles on Monday morning and 5.3 miles on Tuesday morning. The Tuesday run included running up the steps of the Philadelphia Museum of Art which were made famous in the first Rocky film (see Rocky on the steps here - that's just how the view looks for real).

If I can run tomorrow, then I'll have 4 runs in this week.

SS - you can definitely run 10k -- good luck!!!

Geo -- comments on strollers in races -- I would avoid running with the stroller especially since the 10k is a run/walk. That means you will likely need to try to get around walkers (unless the organizers actually separate you out) which is the problem I had in my race in April. It was such a pain. But, I did enjoy the accomplishment of running with dd. I doubt I'll do it again because of the problem with the walkers. But, there were 12,000 people in my race so maybe it won't be as bad for yours. Just my $.02

My second race (the 10 miler) is coming up sooner than I think. And, I just found out that I'll be out of town for work for another 5 days in June but this time I'm going to Mexico and won't be able to run there. I need to really start doing some long runs (7-8 miles) to get ready but I think I need new shoes. Maybe this weekend if I can find some on sale. Dh is going to the Indy 500 so I can easily sneak in some shopping on Sunday - hee hee.

RE: foot problems and running -- most runners I know have nasty feet. Often the problem is black toenails. One friend said she buys shoes a half or whole size bigger than normal so that her toes don't pound the end of the shoe when running and therefore her toes don't get black. I've always had ugly feet from years of cramming my feet into pointe shoes in ballet class so I actually think mine look pretty ok now. At least running doesn't cover the tops of my toes with calluses - I did have a nasty corn on the bottom of my foot for most of the spring until I got serious about getting rid of it. I had had corns between my toes before but never on the bottom of my foot but that's what it was. Anyway, I second the soaking your foot recommendation for the blister. Hot water and soap can do amazing things.

kerc - I've heard that grandmas is a good marathon. Flat and scenic. Are you going to do it?

Well, that's enough of a book for this week. Happy running everyone!

~Hope
Old 05-28-2004, 01:14 PM

Welcome back Hope! I was starting to get worried.... I guess I forgot you were travelling. I know what you mean about pumping when away, though I've so far managed to carry all the milk back.

I've decided that Karen's definitely not coming with me on the run. The primary reason is that I have to get to a shuttle a mile from home by 7 am. That's too early for Karen to be at all willing to deal with crowds or strollers.

Feet: My solution is to never look down when I'm wearing my glasses.
Old 05-28-2004, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geofizz
Welcome back Hope! I was starting to get worried.... I guess I forgot you were travelling. I know what you mean about pumping when away, though I've so far managed to carry all the milk back.
Thanks! I thought about saving the milk from this trip for the one next month but then my room ended up not having a fridge in it so that would have made things difficult (and it was 90 degrees in Philly).

It's good to be back.
Old 05-28-2004, 01:28 PM

hope,i too was worried you had dropped off the planet.
pumping and dumping ---> ahhh. that stuff is liquid gold for me. I have to travel next week and might have to do the same. yikes. hopefully it won't be too much milk (dd is only nursing ~3-4 times a day and I'm going to be gone ~48 hours).

grandmas: nope not running it. tried to get into the half marathon, but it is by lottery. Of course i DID get in and found out I was in about a week after i found out I was pregnant. URGH. I'm shooting for a half-marathon in ocotber in ashland, wisconsin.

Old 05-28-2004, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerc
hope,i too was worried you had dropped off the planet.
awwwww, I feel the love Nope, I didn't disappear. I just didn't have time to get on-line with my meetings unless I found time in the mornings but at that time I was out running, hence, no posts until today.
Old 05-28-2004, 01:49 PM

Pumping while traveling:

I take a small ice chest (the kind that holds a six pack) and several bottles. I fill the ice chest with ice from the ice machine. I find that if I fill it every morning and evening, it stays quite cold throughout. I've even done this when I had to fly. The longest trip I've done is 3 days, though.
Old 05-28-2004, 02:18 PM

I thought about freezing milk and sending it via fedex back from Europe when I went last fall but ice is hard to come by over there so I gave up on the idea. I've managed to have enough stored up for each trip beforehand except for that first one -- dd was 9 months old then, not eating much in the way of solids and I was gone a week. I cried the first time I dumped out that bottle of milk.

Anyway, that's water under the bridge now.
Old 05-28-2004, 02:59 PM

kerc--bummer!!! we are not crazy about Disney but everything added up so that it made sense to go. I figured out we can drive it in 7 hours or so and the timing is right...we want to ttc #2 next year after the marathon.

e&e--go for it!! I am finding that just by paying my hundred bucks I feel so committed to running for the next seven months or so. races have been great motivators for me and this is the ultimate!

schatz--philly seems like a good running city. when I was there last year there were tons of runners and bladers on the Rocky path. glad you made the best of it.

have a great weekend!
Peace.
Old 05-29-2004, 12:34 PM

Welcome back Schatz!

Didn't run yesterday due to nasty weather, but got another great run in today. I ran 34 min/walked 10 (although not exactly in that order) I did, however, run a 14 min segment! It is beautiful here today, very windy, and not at all buggy, because of the wind.

I hope Samsoleil is having a great run, it is today, isn't it?

Now, off to do yardwork, or rather farmwork!
Old 05-30-2004, 12:12 AM

no running today. home owner basement repair. we're trying to add a wall so that the open side of the steps is no longer a cliff for erin to peer over. We're about 1/4 done. It should, of course take about6 hours, i expect it to take us, umm, , 15 or so.

geo how'd the run go?

Old 05-30-2004, 12:59 AM

I'm on my way to starting a new habit! I walked tonight again for 30 minutes, 5th day in a row. I plan to start the walk/run on Monday AM, so will post and let you know how it goes.

Eeek, pumping while away from kids is the pits. Especially if you have to waste the milk! What a bummer.

DH hurt his knee yesterday. : He's a little worried now if he's going to get to Grandma's or not. He's resting a few days and hopefully can get back in the swing of things.

Thanks for your encouragement!
Old 05-30-2004, 12:34 PM

Sounds great, Jenny! We'll be looking for your report on Monday!

I ran 6 miles yesterday in about 65 minutes. 10k is next Sunday. I plan to do one more 6 mile run tomorrow, then stepping it down: ~45 min on Tuesday and Thursday, then rest Friday and Saturday.

Phil is doing "baby pushups" right now. He is lifting Karen up over his head while Karen is giggling. Hmmm. He seems to have moved onto situps. He has her draped across his chest and doing situps.

Where's SamSoleil?!? Her race was yesterday and she hasn't posted anything in DAYS. I'm getting worried...
Old 05-30-2004, 09:21 PM

I DID IT! I DID IT! I DID IT!

Woo Hooo! I ran 10 miles without stopping! And, I managed to run 11:30 miles on average (I ranged from 10 to 12:30 min miles). I am so excited. This seals it, there's a half marathon in sept that I've been eyeing (sp?) that now I'll do!

Great work everyone! It is amazing how quickly everyone is advancing. One minute they're telling you they're starting the run/walk thing, the next thing you hear, yeah I just ran 3, 4, 5 or whatever amount! Impressive.

This thread has been such an inspiration. The last mile and a half I just kept thinking of being able to post I DID IT!! Thanks everyone!
Old 05-30-2004, 09:46 PM

Great Job!!! I can't begin to imagine running that far without stopping! You inspire me though, to keep it going!

Jenny
Old 05-30-2004, 09:59 PM

WOO HOO BBM!!!!!!!!! go you!!!!!!!!!!! a half marathon in sept???? no problem.

enjoy a rest day or two, you earned it!
Peace.
Old 05-30-2004, 10:27 PM

The 1/2 marathon for sure! I'm a bit on the cautious side, I like to know I can definitely do something. They have a marathon in the area in May that if I can continue to run in the Winter I will try to train for.

So my goal then for the 1/2 marathon may involve time somewhat...but I won't know about that until it's closer.

Running a marathon has always been a life goal. KWIM? Those sets of things you want to do before you die type thing...

Thanks Jenny and Mamabeth! I think everyone here is an awesome inspiration. It is amazing what our bodies can do, isn't it? (Must be the endorphins still going I sound like a dweeb... )
Old 05-30-2004, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by babybugmama
Running a marathon has always been a life goal. KWIM? Those sets of things you want to do before you die type thing...
yep. one of mine as well. well I was thinking i'd run the darn marathon before having kids. but you know, sometimes the best laid plans....

i have been a semi-total sloth all weekend. Rain rain go away!! Mud city everywhere and I just can't get inspired to run into the rainy cold wind. tomorrow is another day.

we have this theory that erin sees us pushing her in the jogger and as such runs behind her little ride-on toy? sometimes she puts her babies in her shopping cart and runs down the sidewalk. anyone else's kids do these kinds of things?

Old 05-30-2004, 11:40 PM - Thread Starter

I'm sorry, I didn't read all the posts...but

I DID MY 10K RACE. I FINISHED. MY GOAL WAS 75 MINS, I FINISHED AT 72:45MINS
I WAS NOT LAST. THERE WERE ABOUT 2000 PEOPLE BEHIND ME..AND ABOUT 4000 AHEAD OF ME. IT WAS AWESOME. IT WAS INTENSE. IT WAS EMOTIONAL!!!!

Ahem...sorry about that....
Not bad for someone who's only been running for 3 mts eh?
Old 05-31-2004, 12:09 AM - Thread Starter

Old 05-31-2004, 01:00 AM

SS your family rocks! the poster at the end brought tears to my eyes. GREAT JOB!

Old 05-31-2004, 01:23 AM

Awesome job Natalie!!!

I loved the pics and seeing your welcome home poster brought tears to my eyes too!
Old 05-31-2004, 09:06 AM - Thread Starter

The poster brought tears to my eyes too!!!
Old 05-31-2004, 09:31 AM - Thread Starter

Okay, I just read all the posts!
Geo, I'm sorry I worried you! I had a bug in my PC and was unable to post from home! My PC is good to go now, and I'm at work. I missed you though!!!!
Everyone is doing so well! Welcome to the new posters!
I'm thinking of training for a 1/2 marathon in Toronto at the end of October, which means though, training thru the summer....what do you all think?

User Tag List