MDC RUNNING CLUB~May 24 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-24-2004, 09:43 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hello all! It's Victoria Day here in Canada.I'm working, and get paid double time! YAY!
Anyway, I'm only planning on two runs this week, because I'm running in the race on Saturday.
Tuesday~6ks ~bike 16 ks (to and from work)
Wednesday~bike 16 ks
Friday~5ks
Saturday~RACE DAY

Happy trails all.
And, happy Victoria Day.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-24-2004, 11:27 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Well, it's any old Monday here in the states, but I just realized next Monday is a holiday.

Schedule for the next two weeks:

Monday ~ 60 min
Wednesday ~ 60 min
Friday ~ 45 min
Sunday ~ 60 min
Monday ~ 30 min
Wednesday ~ 60 min
Thursday ~ 30 min
Sunday 6/6: 10k!

MS ~ Are you busy Thursday? I know I always feel much better running after one or two days off. Maybe you could move your Friday run to Thursday, rest Friday, and kick butt on Saturday?

I still haven't decided whether or not to push Karen for the 10k. I'm thinking not at this point, but she's come along for just about all the training, she should get some glory as well, right? (Ha. Glory. I expect to finish in the top 800.)
Old 05-24-2004, 12:13 PM - Thread Starter

I'm working nights on Wednesday, and i'm not sure how I'll be feeling Thursday, which is why I was thinking Friday. but you're right, I could do an evening run Thursday, and take Friday off.....
If you're used to pushing Karen, she would get a kick out of being in the race? Just a thought..
Old 05-24-2004, 12:54 PM

ss-I also think taking a day off is a great idea before a long or hard run. It makes a huge difference. happy victoria day!!!!

Wendy--how exciting!!! you will do great and races are sooo much fun no matter where you finish. just a thought...most races ban jogging strollers because of the crowdedness and you will surely get some "bad" looks if you take it, unless it's specifically said that strollers are allowed. My dd has a pretty good time looking at the runners with dh from the side and clapping and yelling YAY MOMMY when she sees me!

goals for the week....run three times, 4 miles each, and ten again on Saturday. woo hoo! And to do 20 sit-ups and 10 push ups (i'm a weakling, just starting again, but I did them last week!) after the short runs.
Peace.
Old 05-24-2004, 01:00 PM

IMO: take karen in the stroller -- she'll love it and it is good for spectators to see a mama and baby being able to run a race KWIM? You could be inspiration for some mom watching her partner run.

SM: glad you are feeling better again. DOUBLE pay? wowza!

and my week goals:
continue situps at least 5 days
push ups 2 days
22 lb curls (at least 2 million times a day :LOL )

sunday: 2 mile hike with baby in backpack - check
monday:35-40 mins running
tuesday:20 minutes running/40 minutes walking
wednesday:35-40 minutes running
thursdayff -- measure some of my runs in the car or on maps
fridayff
saturday:30 or so minutes running

all the returning mamas -- good job last week, I just read the final thread from last week. Remember that 2 times during the week is better than 0 times running!

Kristin -- mom of Erin (11/5/02) and Leah (9/29/05)
Old 05-24-2004, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samsoleil
If you're used to pushing Karen, she would get a kick out of being in the race? Just a thought..
I really don't know. The race is at 8 am. She's used to sitting in the stroller at 5 pm. She is also very hesitant around crowds, another consideration. Of course, she may or may not do better waiting for me at the finish line.
Old 05-24-2004, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamabeth
Wendy--how exciting!!! you will do great and races are sooo much fun no matter where you finish.
Yup. My goal is to finish without walking. I have no time goal, but looking at the results from last year, that puts me finishing ~800 out of 1000 runners.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamabeth
just a thought...most races ban jogging strollers because of the crowdedness and you will surely get some "bad" looks if you take it, unless it's specifically said that strollers are allowed. My dd has a pretty good time looking at the runners with dh from the side and clapping and yelling YAY MOMMY when she sees me!
Good point. The race does allow jogging strollers, but asks that runners with strollers stay out of others' way. I didn't think about others being irritated by the jogging stroller. Good point. The thing does cut a pretty wide swath.

At the moment, I'm thinking Karen will bike with her daddy to the finish line. I figure the "inspirational" example I'll set is nursing a nearly two year old at the finish line while I'm still wearing my race bib.
Old 05-24-2004, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerc
22 lb curls (at least 2 million times a day :LOL )
I love it! I should count my own stoop-lift-heft reps with my own 23 lb weight.
Old 05-24-2004, 05:45 PM

Jogging strollers and races....I never minded, the key is to start further back in the pack so that the fast racers aren't slowed by the stroller. Other than that I always just growl at the people when they sail by me pushing their toddlers while I gasp and wheeze for air (strollerless ). Seriously, the only time it is a problem is in the beginning. At least in my opinion and experience. I always wanted to do races without only because I wanted to be able to run faster. But you have a good point about the wee one liking the excitement of the race.

So, Geo and SS good luck, kick butt!

I have got to get a race scheduled!! There just aren't any interesting ones around right now. I'll look again after posting this.

So, my goals for this week:

Mon - off (whew, I needed it)
Tue - 60 min. easy
Wed - 35 min
Thur - 60 min
Fri - 30 min
Sat - off
Sun - try that damn ten miles again.

Hmmm...never considered the 24lb squats, curls, bench presses... Maybe that's why my triceps are starting to look so nice

Okay, last but not least....finally... I lost 2 pounds!!!! and I've lost some inches...about 1 off my legs and 3/4 off my waist and hips. Woo Hoo!!!
Old 05-24-2004, 07:32 PM

Well, I was going to start the program walk to run this morning. Had my alarm set for 5:30, woke up to rain/thunder and lightening. Therefore I didn't get up! Still chilly/raining now, so hoping I can get out this evening while dd at dance class. Today was supposed to be the start of the 8 days of walking.

Jenny
Old 05-24-2004, 09:17 PM

Wendy--that's great that they allow strollers! I had just never seen a race that allowed them in the "real" race (only in the fun run or whatever), but good for the organizers.

gotta go nurse!
Peace.
Old 05-24-2004, 11:32 PM

Hee hee. I'm not sure the 10k is the "real" race here. They allow walkers. There's a half-marathon on the same day, and you have to be able to do it at a better than 12 min/mile pace due to the amount of time they can keep the roads closed. The 10k is a "run/walk."

I did my 60 minutes today! Yeah! I even sped up for the last 5 minutes, because I didn't think I'd timed it right and I felt like I could speed up. DH is whining after his soccer game cuz he doesn't get enough exercise. A guy on his team said that he probably needed to do some strength training to help him get in shape. I think we're going to do a "I can do more pushups than you" war tonight. I'm subborn, but he's stronger. I'll let you know who wins.
Old 05-24-2004, 11:53 PM

Good job mamas who were able to get out today!

And GF and MS, Your races sound exciting. Maybe at some point I will also run in exciting races.

Jengi, I think we are trapped in the same weather patterns. I had an exciting run planned for today, but instead we had cold rainy ick all day long. In fact, cold rainy ick is still falling from the sky . So dp and I went and bought a new tractor with a bush hog and a new rototiller attachment, of course we can't use them until the weather clears, but still, we got good deals

My goals for the rest of this week are to run 9/walk 2 X 2, run 8 at least four day, with gardening and other outdoor work thrown in as the weather permits. Also, I'd like to do 15 p/us, and 75 s/us per day, and of course the 21.5 lb curls
Old 05-25-2004, 12:04 AM

Hey I am new to mothering.com, but I'd like to throw in my weekly goals.

Monday - Swim for 40 minutes [Check]
Tuesday - 30 minute cardio/Weights
Wednesday - 1 hour Yoga class
Thursday - Swim for 30 minutes
Friday - 30 minute cardio/Weights
Saturday - Off
Sunday - Swim (easy)

Jen - Mama to V (b. 2-18-09) and AJ (b. 10-9-11) Wife to DH

Old 05-25-2004, 12:05 AM

All the racers out there-- Have an awesome time!

Geofizz-- You should make sure dh takes your pic nursing at the finish line! That would be a photo to have handy for inspiration. We are all such amazing mamas. Our bodies are amazing!

That is so cool for those who are losing weight/inches! I have been as well. I will be seeing some old friends at a wedding this weekend and I am 4 SIZES smaller! I have a dress I have been dying to wear again and I finally can. Whheeee!!!! Unfortunately, I won't be doing much running this week, but I will do my floor work. Dh is out of town until this weekend. Maybe a treadmill run or two. We'll see how the dc do in the evenings.

Running mamas rock!
Old 05-25-2004, 02:54 AM

Good job ladies!!!! Best of luck to those who are racing this weekend. That will be a long term goal....to run in a race.

My goals for this week are:

wk 2 of the program run 3/walk 3 - 4x this week
my weight lifting program-3x this week
my ab program-4x this week
It really all comes down to about an hr a day at the gym.

I just have to fiqure out the healthy eating program that is right for me. I can't seem to stay away from the sweets...chocolate, cakes, etc...
Old 05-25-2004, 09:36 AM

I did it! I got out for a brisk 20 minute walk last night after the sun came out! It felt great! Does anyone have a good starting point for situps and pushups?
Old 05-25-2004, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmpc2
Good job ladies!!!! Best of luck to those who are racing this weekend. That will be a long term goal....to run in a race.
Heather,

I declared back in February that I was going to run a 10k in June. At the time, I was able to run 8 minutes without stopping. Having that goal (and this group) was what has pushed me along to progress. I'd say you should find a 5 or 10k that's in 3-4 months, sign up for it, and then tell everyone you can think of that you're going to run it without stopping. Don't worry about the pace, just make the goal to finish without having to stop and walk. It's worked really well for me.

jengi33: Starting situps and pushups -- I started with 2 sets of 20 crunches and 2 sets of 10 (?) pushups also in February. I started with all the pushups from my knees, and slowly added more pushups and eventually moved some each day from my knees to my toes. If you can't do them on your knees, try up against a bench or table (do you go past a park on your walk?) or even stand a few feet from a wall and do a pushup against the wall. Make sense?

e&esmama: 4 sizes? Wow. Good job. You could take pictures and be in an ad for a diet pill. I can see the flyer on the phone pole now: "All it took was one pair of running shoes!"

JenLove: Welcome. This is a super supportive group.

To all with this loverly weather. At least it's not hot and humid. At least it's not hot and humid. (I'm trying to convince myself. You hear that?)
Old 05-25-2004, 12:18 PM

Welcome to all new running mamas!

jengi33: All it takes with push ups and sit ups is to start. It doesn't matter if it is 5 of each as long as you progress from there as you feel your body getting stronger. Also it is important to be mindful of your form. Push ups: straight aligned back not letting your pelvis fall to the floor. Remember to lower yourself almost completely down to the floor/wall. As you get stronger you can progress from against the wall to knees to toes. Also, slower and more methodical motion works your muscles more efficiently. Rushing through just cheats you out of the great work you are doing so think s-l-o-w. As for sit ups/crunches: Again, be mindful of the motion. Actively feel the muscle contract. And don't put any pressure on your neck or head with your hands. Good luck to all working on strengthening!

Geofizz-- No kidding on the four sizes. My body took it very seriously when I was pregnant each time to pack on the weight. Ugh! No complaints though dc are worth every ounce.

I must admit though, I am very happy to have my body back to a comfortable place. Now it is just time to whittle, whittle, whittle and get strong. I wish people who were trying to get fit could get beyond all those phone pole/infomercial distractions from the real task at hand. I believe that once people actually get moving it is the reward in itself: feeling healthy, having energy. Too bad for this instant gratification culture.

Have a great day all!
Old 05-25-2004, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by e&e's_mama
As for sit ups/crunches: Again, be mindful of the motion. Actively feel the muscle contract. And don't put any pressure on your neck or head with your hands. Good luck to all working on strengthening!
I'll add to that -- I've always struggled with putting strain on my neck. The solution I've found is to put my hands up by my ears (but barely touching them) with my elbows out. I guess it would look like a motion of "I can't hear you." Make sense? Concentrate on lifting your collar bone, not your head.

Quote:
Originally Posted by e&e's_mama
I must admit though, I am very happy to have my body back to a comfortable place. Now it is just time to whittle, whittle, whittle and get strong. I wish people who were trying to get fit could get beyond all those phone pole/infomercial distractions from the real task at hand. I believe that once people actually get moving it is the reward in itself: feeling healthy, having energy. Too bad for this instant gratification culture.
You know, it's weird though ~ this *does* feel like instant gratification. Geez, I've only been at it 12 weeks and I've gone from only being able to run 8 minutes to finding 60 minutes easy enough that I want to speed up for the last 5. That's pretty quick in my book. But yes, I still have curves. Lots of 'em. I don't know how much weight I've lost (no scale) but I know I've lost some. My clothes are looser, though I don't think the next size down would fit. I'm mostly hoping that I can keep up these habits and avoid the whole host of health problems my mom and grandma are currently battling. Weight is just one part of that. Cardiovascular health is much more important.
Old 05-25-2004, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geofizz
You know, it's weird though ~ this *does* feel like instant gratification. Geez, I've only been at it 12 weeks and I've gone from only being able to run 8 minutes to finding 60 minutes easy enough that I want to speed up for the last 5. That's pretty quick in my book. But yes, I still have curves. Lots of 'em. I don't know how much weight I've lost (no scale) but I know I've lost some. My clothes are looser, though I don't think the next size down would fit. I'm mostly hoping that I can keep up these habits and avoid the whole host of health problems my mom and grandma are currently battling. Weight is just one part of that. Cardiovascular health is much more important.
Right on to that, sista!
Old 05-25-2004, 01:15 PM

hi mamas!

I kinda overdid it with running last week and paid the price with a sore belly all weekend..oops!so I am back to walking this week (hope you won't kick me off this thread though as I do plan to run again!)

anyway here's my plan this week

walk 2-3 miles M-F
Yoga Tue,Thurs,Sat

Btw thanks for the info on the jogging stroller, I am planning to get one for the fall! I will keep an eye on ebay. Right now I'm using the treadmill as it's entirely too hot outside right now here in AZ!

Blissful Mama to DD-(5), DS-(6) and someone new due in November!
Old 05-25-2004, 03:45 PM

well my goal for yesterday wa 35 minutes running --- I made 27 minutes. Not in a row. I followed the run 9, walk 1 plan and honestly, was just plum worn out. Oh well it was another crummy day. can i just complain and whine a little here? (skip the next para if you don't want to hear it):

It has been cold and wet and dreary all spring (today is 20 degrees below normal). The leaves on my trees are finally coming out, but it has been pouring down buckets for what seems like weeks. Three hours away in minneapolis or eau claire wisc it is regularly 20 degrees warmer than it is here. I got dressed this morning and had no clothes that made me feel like I look good. I'm trying hard to wrok my tail off at my job/degree so i can finish said degree and my boss/advisor is just totally absent. I'm not sure I even will be able to get a "Real" job when I am done.

I guess as I type that I look at the upside -- none of my clothes from last summer fit. My tummy is firming up. I ran 27 minutes yesterday pushing 40 lbs of stroller. I am close (i.e. 12-18 months) from finishing my phd. Things could be worse.

Going walking this afternoon in the rain for a little endorphin high. Hopefully that will pick me up. In the meantime I'm enjoying hearing my daughter snore over the furnace (yep. heat is on full blast).

Old 05-25-2004, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerc
I guess as I type that I look at the upside -- none of my clothes from last summer fit. My tummy is firming up. I ran 27 minutes yesterday pushing 40 lbs of stroller. I am close (i.e. 12-18 months) from finishing my phd.
You ran for 27 minutes more than 90% of the population can run. You're lookin' good. You're smart. You can finish that thesis.

Go running again today. Get out there and make yourself move and don't worry about the time. Get your mind on something besides the next PhD hoop to hop.

You're 2 weeks since your last caffeine? Your body is still adjusting. Give yourself a break. You're now trying to do the same things you were before, just without the chemical stimulant.

The weather sucks. I'm with ya there.

Thesis advice: Concentrate on writing 1 page a day even if it's garbage. Don't delete the page. Just let it accumulate. Even if your absent good-for-nothing advisor doesn't think you're ready to write, put words on the page. If anything else, it will help solidify your thinking. Do you have a buddy in your department? Someone you can vent to? I think the only reason I finished was that I had another friend with whom I could swap "I'm never gonna finish" stories. Wanna know the best way to get a PhD? Get a postdoc offer. It motivates those signatures like nothing else.
Old 05-25-2004, 04:30 PM

geofizz -- thanks. I needed that.
when erin wakes up we will suit up for the cold rainy day and burn off the two pieces of bacon and three cookies I've had today

Old 05-25-2004, 04:46 PM

I also love running for the instant gratification. Even if I hadn't lost any weight, I feel so much better in my (saggy) mama-skin after a run. The great thing is that with running and weight watchers I have lost 31 lbs so far. If anybody's looking for an eating plan that makes sense, (heather?) ww has totally done it for me. That's a whole other thread but just wanted to throw that in there. And I also hear ya about the cardio health...my dad died at age 51 of a heart attack, and it finally "clicked" to me this year that if I didn't do something about my weight/inactivity, my risk of heart disease would be sky high.

So, for all those reasons, running rocks! Especially for mamas!

speaking of races for motivation...I'm about to sign up for the Disney Marathon on January 9. Anybody wanna join me? There's plenty of time at this point to go from "couch to 26.2," and none of us are on the couch anymore.

Happy running everybody!
Peace.
Old 05-25-2004, 05:45 PM

regarding thesis/dissertation. I don't know the chapters of yours...but ours had 5 basic chapters. I set a goal for each one. Gave a date for myself...etc. And like Geo said, even if it stunk I did it. I have the admit the defense was the scariest part, but not the hardest!

Again, here comes the waterboy.... You can doooo eeeet!!!!

Run mama's run!

Now I'm off to run off the 2 yes, count them, 2 pieces of apple pie I've had today!
Old 05-25-2004, 08:00 PM

4 mile run. all in a row. without walking. >40 minutes

dissertation will have 3 main chapters, basically three academic papers. one I know the basic framework of, one is evolving and the third, well...wavering back and forth. (yep, like all good science projects this one did not turn out as planned). as vague as that sounds, it felt good to think like that because I've been really struggling with an overload of project and not enough organization.

apple pie, did someone say apple pie?

and is there a ww website/book where I can take a general gander at the plan without signing up?>

Old 05-25-2004, 10:41 PM

Okay 60 very very good minutes of running! I went faster the second 30 minutes which was awesome. It was a really nice run.

Oh and Kerc, back to the dissertation thing. I also mapped out the sections within the chapters and did that a little at a time. So some days I only got a paragraph done...but it was very research intensive and dense so I felt like that was okay. I didn't have any set requirements for length, it was more that I addressed the issues. I had to actually do an experiment though.

So, what's the dissertation about?

Oh, and I just got back from my birthday dinner and it was scrumptious!!!! I ate it ALLLLLL....I am such a piggy. I would have to run a month of 60 minutes to recover....I'm feeling like Homer, arregmmmph, drool.
Old 05-25-2004, 10:43 PM - Thread Starter

Hello ladies! You are all doing so well!
I have some exciting news. I am no longer running a 5k, I'm now doing the 10k!!!!
My coworker was signed up for the 1/2 marathon for the same event, and she's been sick, and feels absolutely not ready for the 1/2, so she asked if I would consider doing the 10k with her. We will do the 10/1. I'm excited. It will be more of an accomplishment for me I think, as I run 5ks on all my runs...(short ones) Of course, my longest run so far has been 7.4ks or something? But that's alright. I can do this. I am strong.
And for those who are just starting out...I'd like to point out that in mid-Febuary, I was not a runner at all.
By the way, the winner for the 10k I'm running last year, her time, was 32 mins!

User Tag List