Can you be clinically obese and still be a runner? (long! sorry!) - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 05-28-2004, 04:23 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi, all!

I am new to the boards, and am very excited to be here sharing thoughts and experiences with everyone.

I am about two years away from seriously TTC, so I want to take this time to become a healthier person. (BTW, is there a thread dedicated to women trying to lose weight before TTC? Perhaps that's the MDC Weight Loss Club?)

I am considered clinically obese in that I am about 100 pounds overweight by conservative estimates (according to height/weight charts, I could lose even more weight). I have a history of losing and gaining weight, and I am, again, almost up to my highest weight. I desperately want to get to a healthier weight before considering TTC because I know I am at a much higher risk of developing complications. To complicate matters, I have weight-induced hypertension, for which I am on medication. Through the meds and exercise, my blood pressure is controlled and normal. However, I don't want to be dependent on medication--My goal is to get my pressure down by lowering my weight and consistenly exercising.

Anyway, to my point ... I have read posts here and have done research elsewhere that clearly point to a much greater risk of injuries when you're significantly overweight and you opt to run for your exercise, but I love running! That's right--I'm fat, and I love to run!

I have lost large amounts of weight in the past through running and other activities, but I have gained the weight back after returning to my sedentary life. Recently, I have lost about 10 pounds by working out on an elliptical machine and doing weight training, but I miss running, and I am seriously considering training for a 5K (which is months away).

My question: Does this sound at all reasonable to those of you with more running experience? (and, yes, I'm fishing for vindication and encouragement here, but am definitely open to some critical feedback). My plan is to start on a walk/run program, gently easing myself into the running again. I will do that three times per week and continue with my elliptical work on the days in between (making sure to take a rest day, too). I know I must go slowly; I know I need good shoes (have 'em!); I know I need to be conscious of proper form and be attentive to possible injuries; I know I need to stretch, etc.

If I'm very, very careful, do you think it's okay for me to be running?

I appreciate any feedback, and I wish you all the best on your respective journeys!
K

K(h)aren. Writing/editing mama to my quixotic Sam (12.07) and my intrepid William (01.11).

#2 of 6 Old 05-28-2004, 05:04 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
In my book, the best form of exercise is the one you will keep doing.

I cannot speak to your specific situation, but it sounds like you are approaching this quite reasonably. I would guess the biggest concern is the effects of pounding on your joints. You can mitigate some of this by running on the softest surface you can find. A track (ok, boring...), an upaved road or trail, or even grass.

I don't think you mentioned stretching. Make sure you stretch plenty when you're done. That's helped with my knees a lot.

Welcome to MDC! You're welcome to pop into any of the groups that are going on here for support.
#3 of 6 Old 05-29-2004, 08:10 AM

You sound like you're taking a sensible approach to it and as you run, you'll probably get lighter and lighter.

If I were you, I'd invest in a really good pair of running shoes, and at the very least, run on the asphalt road rather than the concrete sidewalk. A walk/run plan makes sense, and if you feel like you have injured yourself then stop and give yourself a chance to heal.

Good luck!
#4 of 6 Old 05-29-2004, 02:28 PM

Hello! I started running (again!) after my dd was about 6 months old and I was probably 50 lbs overweight. But as the above posters have said, I took it slowly. I had also been walking about a mile and a half most nights before starting to run. I also am on weight watchers, which is working great, and I know it helped to be thinner as I ran more because of the pounding.

Also, a chiropractor helped me to be able to lose weight and run safely...maybe give that a try? Mine is also a sports therapist.

Good luck! I hope you find MDC a helpful place.
Peace.
#5 of 6 Old 05-31-2004, 06:49 PM

I started running after my ds was born and I was about 220 at the time. I got down about 10-15 pounds doing that and then started at a Curves and lost about 50 more pounds. I see no problem with you running (besieds the factors you are already aware of and working on like good shoes and stretching). Good luck!

Megan

PS. the Weight loss club is open to all. It is not TTC specific, but it is a great source for support. There is also a running club.

Megan Davidson, Labor & Postpartum Doula, Breastfeeding Counselor, Anthropologist, Mom to August (9) and Clay (4), Partner to Shawn.

#6 of 6 Old 06-01-2004, 04:44 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks so much for your responses, everyone! I truly appreciate your feedback. I was thinking about wandering over to the weight loss or running club ... Thanks for the invite and the inspiration!
Best,
K

K(h)aren. Writing/editing mama to my quixotic Sam (12.07) and my intrepid William (01.11).

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page