curves or another gym? or something else? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 05-31-2004, 12:53 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
i am typically gym-phobic, but i've been wanting to get in shape and loose about 15 lbs of baby weight.
curves sound effective, the work out is only 30 min, which would help with childcare, and it's close to my house. but the politics kind of freak me out.

then there's a cool and affordable all women's gym, about 15 min from home. i just don't know much about how to use a gym (i know that sounds stupid, but all the equipment looks so complicated!) and child care would be an issue. they have child care there, actually, but dd is not even a year and i just don't feel comfortable yet.

then there's the good ol' stroller and my walking shoes. but walking bores me and i can't see losing a bunch of weight from it.

any suggestions? please?
#2 of 7 Old 05-31-2004, 03:00 PM

If you are gym-phobic, you should start small. I've spoken to a lot of people who like Curves, but for myself, it would be boring doing the same workout every time.

Many gyms will give you a couple of personal training sessions for free when you join, and this will make you more comfortable with the equipment. At the very least, they should have some sort of "orientation" session with a trainer to help you learn to use the equipment correctly. It doesn't sound "stupid" to be intimidated by it all - I felt that way the first time I joined a gym, too. You feel weird and self-conscious at first, but then it's fine!

If you go for a regular gym, you'll get more for your money than you would at Curves, which costs about the same as a gym membership elsewhere. A trainer at a gym can set you up with a routine to meet your fitness goals.
#3 of 7 Old 05-31-2004, 06:43 PM

I go to a Curves near my house (bad politics aside) and I have lost almost 50 pounds in 7-8 months. I like it a lot. I did other gyms beofre and found them to be a LOT LESS effective because at the Curves you get a personal trainer as part of the deal. At ours they work very closely with you (if you want) to help you loss the weight. Also, as far as the money, I totally disagree with the statement that:

"If you go for a regular gym, you'll get more for your money than you would at Curves, which costs about the same as a gym membership elsewhere"

Our Curves cost 49$ a month with is about 1/3 he cost of ANY other gym in Brooklyn. My mom's Curves is only $29 a month. I think they are often much cheaper, although you can compare in your own area to see.

Good luck with the 15lbs. I hope you find something well suited for you.

Megan Davidson, Labor & Postpartum Doula, Breastfeeding Counselor, Anthropologist, Mom to August (9) and Clay (4), Partner to Shawn.

#4 of 7 Old 05-31-2004, 06:44 PM

Oh yeah. I also did the walking/running with baby stuff and gfound it MUCH harder to lose anything and be disciplined. The Curves is fast and easy for me and works better. Alos, I never get bored with it because at our you never do the same thing. There are machines which are always the same, but on the pads we do different things each time (either suggested by the trainer or ones you want to do).

M

Megan Davidson, Labor & Postpartum Doula, Breastfeeding Counselor, Anthropologist, Mom to August (9) and Clay (4), Partner to Shawn.

#5 of 7 Old 06-02-2004, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by megandavidson
I totally disagree with the statement that:

"If you go for a regular gym, you'll get more for your money than you would at Curves, which costs about the same as a gym membership elsewhere"

Our Curves cost 49$ a month with is about 1/3 he cost of ANY other gym in Brooklyn. My mom's Curves is only $29 a month. I think they are often much cheaper, although you can compare in your own area to see.
I forgot how expensive many gyms can be. My gym only costs me $46 a month and there was no sign-up fee. Most gyms do charge a huge signing fee - as much as $200 just to join. I'm lucky with mine! It's small, clean, quiet, and never crowded.
#6 of 7 Old 06-03-2004, 08:54 AM

Can I hijack for a second??? How exactly does Curves work? Can you go more than the 3 30 minute sessions a week? Did you do anything else besides Curves? Change your diet, etc?
Thanks!

Paige, mama to three girls, (10), (8) and (3)
#7 of 7 Old 06-03-2004, 09:54 AM

At our Curves you can go as many days a week as you want but three is the suggested minimum. You can do additional rounds of machines only if you want and you can work out in the back after your session if you want (like sit-up and floor work, etc.).

If these questions were for me ... I do Curves at least 3 days a week, mostly more like 4, sometimes 5. I also walk everyday because we live in Brooklyn and walking is the only way to travel. I am a veggie but I eat a low-carb diet (no wheat, so no bread or pasta except the occasional date night with dh or something, no potatoes). I do not do anything organized, like South Beach or Atkins (neither of which is veggie friendly). I also don't eat sugar or drink fruit juice.

Feel free to PM me with questions.

best,

Megan

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page