Newbie with running and bf'ing questions... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 06-01-2004, 06:40 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi ladies!! I'm very very new - my first post ever here! I'm so glad to have found this site. My name is Mary-Jo and I have two children - Aidan is 4 and I had a baby girl 6 months ago named Dayle. Up until I got pregnant with Dayle, I was a very avid runner - getting back into running shape quickly after Aidan was born. This time around is a whole different story. I'm just not where I'd like to be cardiovascularly. I have done lots of sprint triathlons (hence, the goofy user name!) and would like to plan on doing a few at the end of this summer.

So, my for you experts are - since I'm exclusively bf'ing Dayle, would my supply take a hit from running? I'm concerned about the training and running consuming too many calories and my supply being affected. Also, could bf'ing be wearing my body out to where I'm not able to muster up the energy to get a good run in? Or am I just looking for an excuse?!!?

I'm looking forward to getting to know you ladies. Maybe I'll be able to get my act together enough to post on your running club thread....

Thank you and happy running!
#2 of 7 Old 06-01-2004, 08:17 PM

come on over to the running club thread.....we range from folks who are walking mostly/running a bit to someone who ran 10 miles this weekend. mostly in between.

Quote:
So, my for you experts are - since I'm exclusively bf'ing Dayle, would my supply take a hit from running? I'm concerned about the training and running consuming too many calories and my supply being affected. Also, could bf'ing be wearing my body out to where I'm not able to muster up the energy to get a good run in? Or am I just looking for an excuse?!!?
your supply might even rise. i think i read someplace that your supply won't suffer, unless of course you don't consume enough calories and are running marathons....Personally exercise helped my supply. I was having major low supply issues and the l. consultant told me to watch weight loss (I;m a skinny mama) so I quit working out. no help. Finally at 6 months I said screw breastfeeding, i feel like trash without working out. So i jumped into a triathalon training thing and wham supply doubled overnight.

You can wear out your body. i think I am quicker to dehydrate, and take longer to recover from long workouts. but...you can work around that kind of stuff. HTH!

oh and i forgot to mothering.com

Kristin -- mom of Erin (11/5/02) and Leah (9/29/05)
#3 of 7 Old 06-02-2004, 10:08 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Welcome trimomama!

I haven't noticed anything with supply either while running. I do notice I need to nurse before running and make sure I drink enough water. I also seem more sensitive to not eating enough (blood sugar lows?) but the effect is more exhaustion and soreness than a dip in supply. The other thing that seems really important is a good jog bra -- one that gives enough support without pinching anywhere.

Come join the running club! People have lots of good ideas about making mothering and running work together.
#4 of 7 Old 06-02-2004, 10:10 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kerc
Finally at 6 months I said screw breastfeeding, i feel like trash without working out. So i jumped into a triathalon training thing and wham supply doubled overnight.
Kerc -- I wonder how much of this was stress? My own experience is stress = low supply.

(Another great plus of running... Stress reduction. )
#5 of 7 Old 06-02-2004, 10:44 AM

Hey trimomma!

Come join the running thread! We are a rowdy bunch and we *of course* welcome everyone!

As for bfing, I have no supply issues at all. I have to driink a lot for my own physical comfort and I eat a lot. Other than that, everything's groovy. I am also a "tri momma" I would love to compare training notes! I am doing a 10k in two weeks and look forward to nursing at the finish line as one of our other running mamas recently shared on the running thread.

Seriously, come join us. Even if you are not running yet, a few days of lurking or ribbing by our group will get you moving!

Take care!
#6 of 7 Old 06-02-2004, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geofizz
Kerc -- I wonder how much of this was stress? My own experience is stress = low supply.

(Another great plus of running... Stress reduction. )
yeah...stress. it WAS stress. I guess my point was that running is a form of de-stress for me and when i finally said to hell with it, I was fine. note to self: plan next baby.

Kristin -- mom of Erin (11/5/02) and Leah (9/29/05)
#7 of 7 Old 06-02-2004, 08:48 PM - Thread Starter

thank you ladies for the warm welcome!! i'm looking forward to getting moving and feeling strong again.

e&e's mom - i have only done the sprint distance triathlons. possibly next summer, i'd like to do the olympic distance ones. i swam competitively through college, so the swim is actually the easiest part of the race for me. i don't train for the swimming at all - it all comes back naturally - plus, it doesn't hurt that the swim is so short. i usually just stick to the running and biking when i train. what distance race do you do? good luck with your 10k.

i am going to head over to the running club thread - i really need some motivation!!

thanks everyone!!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page