Oct-Nov-Dec Weight Support Thread 2016 - Mothering Forums

7Likes

#1 of 32 Old 10-01-2016, 08:33 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Oct-Nov-Dec Weight Support Thread 2016

This is support for any of your weight-related goals, whether it's losing or maintaining, or, for a few of you, gaining. There is no challenge, no other goals except your own, but there is good company along the way for your victories, for your defeats and for when nothing seems to be budging.

If you want to weigh in regularly, please do so. If you don't, then great. We don't need to ever know your weight or size at all, we just want to hear how you are doing.

A few of us have emotional and mental health issues linked with eating, and you are welcome to share yours, if so. This thread has gotten pretty raw and honest at times. It's a little different each time.

Introduce yourself; let us know your story, if you want, and your goals, your challenges and your successes. Most of all, good luck with all your endeavors. I look forward to meeting you.

"She is a mermaid, but approach her with caution. Her mind swims at a depth most would drown in."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 32 Old 10-01-2016, 08:48 AM - Thread Starter

For me, I've been hanging steady at a nice weight, exercising with regularity which helps me bounce back more easily if my weight sneaks up a few pounds. I would, of course, like to see a few more pounds slip off, but I'm at a healthy place and I'm not going to fight it.

July I started back to college, and that quarter was intense. I took two online classes, and a few days I was working on homework for 8 hours, usually at least four to six. My body took notice. The month between I was able to restart my dedication to my yoga and my walks, and occasionally my (very short, 15-min) runs and brought my weight back to my current range of 129-131.

My challenge now, as a freshman, is to end the spring quarter at roughly the same weight (and size) as I am now. I have classes on campus now, and it's situated on a hill with a bazillion stairs that I climb every day. After only 5 days of that, I ended my Saturday walk with my regular 15-min run around a hayfield, and I added around 1/4 mi+ to the same time, and everything felt much easier and lighter and stronger.

I don't know whether I'll be weighing in here or what. I'm pretty happy with my weight, in general. But after losing 60 pounds (20 of it twice for a total of 80 pounds) I am hanging tightly onto this victory, with white knuckles at times. I am learning how to feed my body the right amount: sometimes my appetite is up, and it's because I'm truly hungry and needing calories, and other times I'm just being lazy.

Unfortunately, my biggest successes on the scale are linked with times I'm feeling depressed and food sits in my belly like lead. The last long stretch of that, I stopped looking at the scale so I wouldn't be tempted to reward myself for feeling like shit. I'm learning no to be all woe-is-me when my appetite is suppressed. It's like the way I dislike being touched when I'm upset, only the "touch" is on the inside. There are other issues around that, but I don't think they are root issues like this is. I think those thoughts arise afterward as an explanation. Since realizing the touch-connection, those thoughts haven't been the issue they were before.

I hope to see a few folks show up here. It's been mighty slow, and slower. I miss the company.

And happy Fall! Most everyone's favorite season, and the best season for wanting to get outside for a walk in the cool weather.
Nazsmum likes this.

"She is a mermaid, but approach her with caution. Her mind swims at a depth most would drown in."
#3 of 32 Old 10-01-2016, 01:56 PM

Mentioned: 142 Post(s)
Quoted: 279 Post(s)
I might hang here. I lost a ton of weight from, well, life. I would like to keep it off. But only time will tell. I go the Dr. next week then I will know just how much I lost form the last time.

I am glad to hear you are doing well. Happy Fall.

#4 of 32 Old 10-01-2016, 04:38 PM - Thread Starter

Welcome back, Nazsmum!

#5 of 32 Old 10-01-2016, 08:37 PM

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
I'll come hang out again. I am not anywhere near a point of trying to lose weight. My binge eating has been out of control, so that's what I'm working on. At the moment I'm trying to get to a baseline of "normal" eating. Not necessarily healthy, or perfect, or proper portions, but "normal" in the way that a non-binge-eater would eat. My goal is to eat like a child - choosing from the options available, eating how much feels right of whatever normal (not junk) foods appeal, stopping when satisfied. At the moment this means a lot more carbs and a lot less fruit/veg. I'm hoping that removing all food restrictions like this will help my body realize that there's no need to shovel in all sorts of garbage during moments of weakness because I can have those things whenever I want to anyway.

So that's the experiment I'll be following here for a while. I will say that 1) I'm feeling humongous and 2) it feels incredible and freeing NOT to be obsessing over healthy eating. High carb eating sure is a lot easier, and I had forgotten how brilliant I am at tossing together amazing pasta dishes at a moment's notice
#6 of 32 Old 10-02-2016, 08:28 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by newmamalizzy View Post
I'm hoping that removing all food restrictions like this will help my body realize that there's no need to shovel in all sorts of garbage during moments of weakness because I can have those things whenever I want to anyway.
This works for me, as well, not restricting foods. There is nothing I don't eat. I did find after a while that there are a few things I need to be very cautious of, like good bread and butter, drinking juice like water, chocolate chips, graham crackers, etc, that I eventually decided needed to be removed from the house most of the time. But that came after a lot of success allowing myself to eat what I felt like eating, and focusing on the need to eat so much of it. After a while, I could definitely look forward to my daily ice cream, or even with great leftovers, convincing myself that that yumminess would be there tomorrow, too. (Not always successful. It's a work in progress.) I always have something good to eat in the house.

Good luck!

#7 of 32 Old 10-06-2016, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetSilver View Post
Welcome back, Nazsmum!
Thanks.

My Dr appointment was moved to next week. I was wanting to see how much of a lose. Next week I will have a good idea of my weight. I never did get that scale. LOL
SweetSilver likes this.
#8 of 32 Old 10-06-2016, 12:41 PM - Thread Starter

@Nazsmum I keep wanting to replace my quirky bathroom scale, but I grew up with it and it has 50 years of family foot crud on it, and it looks cool and retro and it's good enough. So no new scale for me, either. Nothing I could buy would last as well anyhow.

#9 of 32 Old 10-06-2016, 03:55 PM

You have a scale and I have an old rotary phone that has at least 60 years of crud on it. It was my grandmother's. So, I total understand about the scale.
SweetSilver likes this.
#10 of 32 Old 10-13-2016, 04:06 PM

OK, here I am about 20 pounds lighter. Some of it from stress and some from eating clean. No matter how I got here I am going to keep it off.

How are you ladies doing?
#11 of 32 Old 10-13-2016, 09:39 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nazsmum View Post
OK, here I am about 20 pounds lighter. Some of it from stress and some from eating clean. No matter how I got here I am going to keep it off.

I get a depressive/low-appetite "thing", so I can sympathize with "no matter how I got here." Nice going! Are you feeling some lightness in your joints and strength in your stamina? I know I was feeling so "old" for a long time, and then I lost a ton of weight-- I lost a decade along with the pounds.

I am around 4 pounds up. I'd been hanging steady just a tad above the new normal, then I bumped up a little. Not terribly surprising given the lack of exercise, the time of the month, and the chocolate covered pretzels in the snack drawer. Hanging in there with the yoga, as best as possible. I would like to go on more walks, though.
Nazsmum likes this.

#12 of 32 Old 10-14-2016, 05:42 AM

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Omg, that old, creaky, heavy feeling is exactly what I have going on. I can't stand it.

I'm still doing "undieting." I don't want to speak too soon, but I feel like it may be working. I haven't had a real binge episode for a while. At night I've just been eating a lot intentionally, like a whole other meal. That's been my typical binge time, but for the past few nights my late night meal has been getting smaller and I haven't felt the pull of food after finishing. That's amazing progress for me. There's such a big difference between battling an urge and just plain not feeling one.

I know I am eating a lot in general. My weight is not going to drop from just this step. My hope is that my appetite will naturally decrease and my weight along with it. The danger is to slip back into a dieting mentality too soon. "I'm just gonna set an upper calorie limit. I'm just gonna regulate my servings of veggies. I'm just gonna set a few rules for when I can eat or what size plate I can use." Funny that I've been trying so hard to shut down the voice urging me to eat, I never paid much attention to this controlling voice inside constantly criticizing my size and my diet. I feel "lighter."

Keep up the good work ladies.
#13 of 32 Old 10-14-2016, 06:26 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by newmamalizzy View Post

I'm still doing "undieting." I don't want to speak too soon, but I feel like it may be working. I haven't had a real binge episode for a while.

I feel "lighter."
One of the reasons you might feel lighter might be because the binge cycle isn't weighing you down physically? I know that changing my eating and digestion patterns helps me feel lighter inside, whether that expresses itself on the scale or not, and it's always an encouraging feeling.

#14 of 32 Old 10-20-2016, 05:38 PM

@sweetsliver I feel old this year. Turning 42 hit me hard. Losing the weight was good for me. The walking has been the best thing this 2 years. I have walked almost every weekday for one hour.
@newmamalizzy I'm pulling for you. I know how hard it can be. Take one day at a time.
SweetSilver likes this.
#15 of 32 Old 10-23-2016, 07:48 AM - Thread Starter

I'm having a hard time keeping the weight down to normal and even. I went for a big day of hiking and exploring with my geology class at Mt St Helens on Friday, and I am always so hungry when I'm doing that. In spite of the exercise of the last couple of days, my appetite is up too far. It doesn't feel like it's reflecting my body's needs.

So.

Back on the scale every day for a while. I'd been skipping days because it can feel obsessive, and it can be discouraging sometimes, too. But in general, I can also find it helpful and feel more in control.

I think this last gain is temporary, as I'd been hovering just on the high side of normal. Hoping I'm right.

#16 of 32 Old 10-26-2016, 04:07 PM

I am so sorry that MDC did not "tell me about this post" I wonder why???

Anyway! I find that I eat more in the fall. I don't know, maybe because of the change in season or just the weather. I just find that I eat more.

I have been so busy that I really have not had time to eat. I know that sooner later I will be in the same boat as you @SweetSilver
#17 of 32 Old 10-31-2016, 02:41 AM

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Hello again .... it's been so long ... partly down to not being able to re create a new username with the same e-mail address AND missing out on something (but what ????) each and every time i try to register with the NEW password i keep on having to request every single time i've tried to log in since ... last spring ..... plus having spent a few days in hospital for yet another operation earlier in October .... i DID loose quite a bit of weight at the time of the operation ... but have been stuffing myself silly every since i went back home + not allowed to do any sport except a little bit of walking ... so i suppose i'm back to my pre operation weight ...
now, today is Monday, tomorrow is the start of a new month & i feel like trying again to eat more sensibly for a while ... as i try to build up again to my pre op level of activity (have just washed some floor this morning & am already tired ...)
now, off to the account details in order to TRY and change my password for something easier to remember that that list of digits and numbers and symbols .... not the first time that i do that ... but it doesn't seem to be able to save the changes for the next time i log in... i wonder what it is i fail to click on, somewhere .... wish me luck !!! (i really need to come back to this thread more often than i have been these last 4 months basically ....)
...and good luck to every one trying to change their eating and exercise pattern ... for a better you !!!!

Last edited by IsaFrench; 10-31-2016 at 02:47 AM.
#18 of 32 Old 10-31-2016, 06:56 AM - Thread Starter

Good luck on your recovery, @IsaFrench ! It's nice to hear from you again!

My passwords are a phrase that substitutes letters for numbers or symbols. For example, "You're Sweet" can become "Y0u'r3_$w33t" And despite the warnings, I do reuse passwords, though I try to change them frequently (because, how many passwords do we need these days for various stuff? Like, 20 or more? 30? Yeah, nope. I'm reusing some.)

I've whittle my way back to the new normal, and got my appetite in check. I read recently that hunger is an unreliable cue for how much to eat. To some extent I think that true, but I also think that we often forget what hunger really feels like. Like the cat that has separate needs for hunting and eating, I think our desire to eat and hunger can be two very different things, and that real hunger can be a reliable cue if it's used alone and mindfully. It's not the same as appetite, which is incredibly unreliable. Still, the takeaway was that "you're still going to *want* more, even if you eat more than enough", and I've been mindful of it the last few days.

#19 of 32 Old 10-31-2016, 07:05 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I am so sorry that MDC did not "tell me about this post" I wonder why???

Anyway! I find that I eat more in the fall. I don't know, maybe because of the change in season or just the weather. I just find that I eat more.

I have been so busy that I really have not had time to eat. I know that sooner later I will be in the same boat as you @SweetSilver
I never get notifications for this thread and several others, even though I'm subscribed and it shows up on my subscriptions page. So if I happen to just be checking my notifications, I miss some threads. Annoying as hell. Maybe I should point it out to somebody, but I've sort of shrug off a lot of the things about this platform anymore.

Weather shifts are surely a cause for increased appetite, change in routine, too. Warm weather (in general), food just feels bad sitting in my stomach compared to cool, lovely fall. Plus, just like camping, by brain screams "Holy (Bleep!) I need calories! Lots! Now! More! Still not enough!" I can easily down 3000 calories or more (probably more) just on a hiking day, or a car camping day. "Need more calories for outdoor life, ya know!" Yeah, p-robably not one day of outdoor life, dude.

#20 of 32 Old 11-07-2016, 08:18 AM - Thread Starter

The scale says one thing; the flab says another.

HELP ME, I'M MELTING!!!!

How is everyone doing?

#21 of 32 Old 11-07-2016, 05:12 PM

Candy My kids don't even go trick or treating.
#22 of 32 Old 11-07-2016, 05:28 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Candy My kids don't even go trick or treating.

Cheeeeeese.....

I've been on a cheese kick.

#23 of 32 Old 11-07-2016, 05:31 PM - Thread Starter

The cheese thing wouldn't be so bad if I didn't snack on extra cheese while I heat my meal.

#24 of 32 Old 12-13-2016, 10:12 AM - Thread Starter

How are the holidays treating everybody?

I'm just started a calorie-counting week. Very helpful to do now and then. Yesterday my lunch clocked 1500 calories. Granted, that's my main meal of the day, but I was still hungry! Craziness. I did end the day somewhere around the 2300 calorie mark, which is actually a good target for me with my activity level.

#25 of 32 Old 12-13-2016, 05:39 PM

Well, Thanksgiving I did not eat. MIL can NOT cook...we all stopped for snacks on the way home.
Now we are in the middle of holiday parties. Today we had a baby shower. Next week 2 Christmas parties and so on. I'm trying to "eat right". I am trying.
#26 of 32 Old 12-13-2016, 09:28 PM - Thread Starter

I laughed at your post, I did. I often don't like my MIL's T-day dinners, but it's never so bad I need to get snacks after.

#27 of 32 Old 12-14-2016, 06:19 PM

Oh! It is that bad!! We almost always stop for food. It is a long drive with 5 hungry people. LOL

One time we stopped at a 24hr rest stop on Christmas day. We ate with a truck driver from far away. He was laughing so hard about my MIL's cooking that it "made his day". LOL
#28 of 32 Old 12-15-2016, 06:28 PM - Thread Starter

At least her cooking is good for something.
Nazsmum likes this.

#29 of 32 Old 12-15-2016, 06:31 PM - Thread Starter

Almost back to my pre-fall-quarter weight and getting in some good exercise. Calorie counting (it's not calorie restriction) is going well. I'm managing to balance out my 1500 calorie lunches with a slightly larger breakfast. Going through Sunday with counting, then I'll give it up because it's that annoying, isn't it? Annoying, but occasionally enlightening (har har har).

Had an epic walk today.
Nazsmum likes this.

#30 of 32 Old 12-31-2016, 07:06 AM

I made it to the end of the holidays with no pounds gained. So that is good.

My MIL is coming over in about 2hrs and my house looks like a bomb when off. BUT I'm just happy to eat real food.

How are things with you ladies? Hopes for 2017?

My hope is for a better year. So much happened this year. To much stress and not to much rest.

Happy New Years

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page