Weight Watchers for Nursing Mom - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-23-2004, 12:21 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I just joined Weight Watchers online, and wonder if anyone knows the number of extra points I get for nursing. I weighed in at 231 to start, and get 28 Flex Points a day. I am still nursing a 17 month old 5-6 times per day.
Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-27-2004, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs Steve
I just joined Weight Watchers online, and wonder if anyone knows the number of extra points I get for nursing. I weighed in at 231 to start, and get 28 Flex Points a day. I am still nursing a 17 month old 5-6 times per day.
Thanks!

I don't know if you found it or not but you get 10 points
Old 10-19-2004, 12:16 AM

I'm about to join and nursing...how are you finding the flex plan? Are you satisfied? Any feedback would be great.
Old 10-19-2004, 03:10 AM

I am interested in the online weight watchers plan too, I am also nursing. I am wondering how much time it takes to enter all your food into the computer to figure out your points etc. I don't have a ton of time to sit in front of the computer, but I need something new for motivation and I hear the WW is a really good plan.
Old 10-19-2004, 12:12 PM - Thread Starter

I have had good success with the program so far--6 pounds in a month. I learned that if you are exclusively breastfeeding, you get 10 extra points. And if baby is eating other food, you lose those extra points. However, I have been giving myself 4-8 extra points a day for nursing, and am still losing weight ( I am breastfeeding an 18 month old). I record the extra points in my "Actvity points" tracker online. I just need more food because he is still nursing 5 times a day. Once weightloss slows, I have heard that people "play" with these extra points.

I do not feel deprived at all and my milk volume is being maintained wonderfully. I think it is a little better because I am eating healthier.

It takes me about 10-15 minutes a day TOTAL to enter my food into the online interface. It is so well-designed and WW has almost every food on the planet in its database, so it is easy to find food and portion it out. It also has great tools like recipe builder to find out points for your favorite recipes. It is a great web site with lots of resources. They have a message board just for moms too.
Old 10-19-2004, 12:28 PM

my friend who did ww and nursed said she dropped the extra points at 7 months pp--and then she started shaking a lot, etc, and it was obvious she wasn't getting enough food. good job adding the extra points
Old 10-19-2004, 10:02 PM

what about being a vegetarian? any issue there? i wish they just let you try the online thing for a few days.and what about when a restaurant serves something that isnt on the list, do you just guess as closely as you can?
Old 10-20-2004, 03:26 AM

Hey, it's Artmama again, I just went to the WW site and it said that the online deal wasn't available for nursing moms when I tried to sign up. Anybody know what the deal is there? Is that why the original question was asked about how many extra points you get?
I have a lot of questions, dont I?
Old 10-20-2004, 04:48 AM

I've been wanting to sign up as well, but haven't yet because the online site says it's not for nursing moms. : I think the Core plan sounds right up my alley.
Old 10-20-2004, 11:48 AM

That's weird. I just signed up and my membership booklet has a section specifically for nursing mothers. I'm not sure about the website though, I went to a meeting and got my info. But since there is a section for nursing moms I cacn't imagine why the website wouldn't address that.
Old 10-21-2004, 12:39 AM

I wrote to the web site folks, and this is what they sent me:
Congratulations on the new addition to your family!

You are in a special time in your family's life, and as a result, you will have special nutritional needs. It is very important that all of your nutritional needs are met so you can provide excellent support for your growing infant.

For that reason, Weight Watchers® Meetings provide a special version of the FlexPoints plan created specifically for the needs of nursing mothers: the New Mothers POINTS System, designed with you and your baby in mind. However, before you begin, we strongly suggest that you consult with your physician to ensure that the plan is appropriate for you.

The New Mothers POINTS System is currently available only through Weight Watchers Meetings. Although we do not have a nursing mother plan available for Weight Watchers eTools or Weight Watchers Online subscribers, we welcome you as a registered user and look forward to your subscribing to the Weight Watchers eTools or Weight Watchers Online products once you are no longer nursing.

So that is a drag, since I can't go to meetings!
Old 10-21-2004, 04:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artmama
I wrote to the web site folks, and this is what they sent me:
Congratulations on the new addition to your family!

You are in a special time in your family's life, and as a result, you will have special nutritional needs. It is very important that all of your nutritional needs are met so you can provide excellent support for your growing infant.

For that reason, Weight Watchers® Meetings provide a special version of the FlexPoints plan created specifically for the needs of nursing mothers: the New Mothers POINTS System, designed with you and your baby in mind. However, before you begin, we strongly suggest that you consult with your physician to ensure that the plan is appropriate for you.

The New Mothers POINTS System is currently available only through Weight Watchers Meetings. Although we do not have a nursing mother plan available for Weight Watchers eTools or Weight Watchers Online subscribers, we welcome you as a registered user and look forward to your subscribing to the Weight Watchers eTools or Weight Watchers Online products once you are no longer nursing.

So that is a drag, since I can't go to meetings!
I find this quite interesting. This New Mothers POINTS system must be really new. I have been doing WW since April, fell off the wagon during the summer, and just rejoined about 3 weeks ago. The Core plan had just been unveiled. Nobody said anything about a new mom's plan. My getting started book says nothing about a new mom's plan. It just says that if you are nursing, you get 10 extra points. I'll have to ask at the next meeting.

I also do the online tools, and entering the food is very easy. Even though my dd is 17 months old, I still do all 10 points and have still been losing weight. I really like WW, because with nursing, I am always hungry and just didn't know when to stop. Using the points helps me to know when I've had enough food. So far, I've lost 17 lbs, and have about 25 more to go. I'm one of those people that nursing didn't help in losing the pregnancy weight.

Oh, and for entering your extra bf'ing points, as a previous poster said, I just enter them as activity points and then use them up as food points.

Unless something radical has changed in the last 3 weeks, the only difference in the plans for nursing moms is the extra points. I even asked about anything special for the Core plan and nursing, and my leader said to just eat Core foods as I am hungry. (I am doing the Flex plan because I just eat too many foods that are not on the core plan list - but are still healthy.)

If you sign up for the online plan, don't check the box that asks if you are nursing when you sign up, and just add 10 extra activity points each day. There is a great community there with boards - there is a group of bf'ing moms there too. They have tons of great ideas!
Old 10-21-2004, 05:10 PM

Thanks, thats what i will do! I really appreciate your thoughtful answer and information.
Old 10-26-2004, 01:52 PM

Another nursing mama using WW online. I just enter 10 points for nursing in the "exercising" points screen (if you are doing flex plan). It is actually 2 points per nursing session- up to 10 pts per day.

I found a Yahoo! group for BFWWMoms, if you want to know the address, PM me.
Old 10-26-2004, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artmama
what about being a vegetarian? any issue there? i wish they just let you try the online thing for a few days.and what about when a restaurant serves something that isnt on the list, do you just guess as closely as you can?

Weight Watchers restaurant/fast food/sub places/et c values :

http://www.dwlz.com/Restaurants/1allrestaurants.html

You can also get the nutrition information from the manager at any restaurant to calculate points with

User Tag List