O.K. I need a buddy...make me accountable - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 11-03-2004, 11:05 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Okay, I've been off the wagon for a few days (the low-carb wagon that is )
but it's time to get restarted. I had actually been in ketosis for a couple days last week and then we went camping for the weekend and even though I didn't go hog wild on carbs it was hard to keep the intake as low as I'd have liked. And last night we did pizza since we were having an optimistic election night party.

But no more excuses! I've got 6 weeks before my brother's wedding to whip myself into a shape I can be proud of!

Let's DO IT!

A little bit grasshopper a little bit ant   energy.gifom.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-03-2004, 12:08 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
jennifer3141 -- i'll play! i'm 173 and 5' 8" ... i need a buddy too! i'm doing well with exercise, it's the eating side that i really need help with! i'm looking to lose 15-20 lbs, at least. i've already lost 20-25lb, so i'm off to a good start!

Momma to K ('01), E ('03) and A ('07)
Acting as a Gestational Surrogate for my cousin, EDD Jan 17th
Old 11-03-2004, 04:09 PM

I'm having a tough time of it, myself.

1) I keep skipping breakfast. By the time the family's out of the house and I can sit down to work, it's so late! Then when I look up, here it is 10:00 AM and I haven't eaten yet! Grrr.

2) I haven't been able to make the time to exercise. I need to do it in the morning or during the day because I am too tired at night, but life's been crazy and I haven't been able to go. I KNOW I can get to a yoga class on Friday, but. . .

3) The carb cravings are taking me OVER. I need some help to cut back again. I haven't weighed myself in 2 weeks cuz I KNOW I've gained some back and I don't want to know how much.

HELP ladies!!!

ex-Californian, making my way on the East Coast with DS (10), DS (6) and WAHDH. Former extended BF'er, co-sleeper, and baby-wearer. Remembering how to garden.

Old 11-03-2004, 07:02 PM

Temptation, will power, it's all so much!

I'm strugglin' too sisters. I lost about 25 lbs. About a month ago I slacked off all my good habits I started, and now I can hardly get through a pilates session, and my belly's fat, and ... :
But, on a good note. I got through my pilates session, 50 minutes, I drank a lot of water today. And no halloween candy today. Yeah!
Hang in there everyone. It's an up and down battle. Especially for those who grew up in an unhealthy lifestyle such as myself. Canned vegetables, fried chicken, and instant potatoes(not even real), is what I grew up on. Oh, then there's the heavily larded hamhocks and greens, and the numerous twinkies. Oh my God, the twinkies, I'm surprised I'm still here.
Anyhow, I've got about 20 more lbs. I'd like to lose.
Strugglin', yet, keepin' strong!!!
Old 11-03-2004, 10:27 PM

So, I finally weighed myself and discovered that I haven't gained anything. Yay! At least I'm holding even.

ex-Californian, making my way on the East Coast with DS (10), DS (6) and WAHDH. Former extended BF'er, co-sleeper, and baby-wearer. Remembering how to garden.

Old 11-04-2004, 03:14 PM

So yesterday I was super low carb. Egg for b'fast, tuna for lunch and steak a la mexicana for dinner. I did have three little silver dollar tortillas dd made but that can't have been much.
Today's b'fast was quiche.
I did about almost an hour of serious punching and kicking on the heavy bag yesterday and today I'm going back to Curves for the first time in over a week!

Old 11-04-2004, 03:39 PM

So now DH and DS are both sick and I picked up another project (which will actually pay me something!), and another project for trade, which means I am very, very unlikely to get to skate or go to yoga and so no exercise for me this week.

DAMNIT!!!

Maintained lo-carb yesterday, for the most part. A small bowl of whole-wheat pasta, broccoli and cheese for b'fast. A greek salad w/ chicken and spicy chicken soup for lunch and then a home-made chicken vege soup thickened w/ almond meal for dinner. Yum!

So far today: eggs, cheese, tea.

Old 11-08-2004, 06:09 PM

Hi,

I'm Joanna and I'm trying to get motivated to lose some weight. It's not really baby weight - I only gained 7lbs in my last pregnancy due to morning sickness and dropped 37lbs(!) when William was born. But then I started eating. I keep eating junk. I'm starting to wonder if I actually have an eating problem. Today I've eaten a load of cookies and a big bar of chocolate. I came to this forum looking for some way to hold myself accountable. If I could just control the snacking I think I'd be able to do this. Anyway, I weigh 180lbs and would like to be 145 - 150lbs (and fit into my leather pants!!)

OK. From this moment on I'm going to work at eating more healthily. Look forward to getting to know you all.

Joanna
Old 11-08-2004, 06:48 PM

Just wanted to share with you that there are a lot of people who don't process sugar and carbs very well. I have found (after going on a low-carb, pretty much no-sugar regimen) that sugars are very addicting for me. Yesterday was the perfect example:

I visited my cousin and we had sandwiches for lunch. (I don't normally eat bread.) Then he offered me a piece of Toblerone (my FAVORITE candy). I don't really eat sugar, but I figured I was strong enough to eat one piece. That's all I had, but by night time I was dying for some sugar and chocolate and sent DH out to get Twisters from Fosters Freeze.

For me, once I start with the carbs and sugars, I find it very difficult to stop. If I can make it to the evening without having any, then I do really well. Otherwise, I function on a complete addict level.

It could be that your body works that way, too. If you're interested in learning more, I found the South Beach diet to explain it really well.

Anyway, you're in really good company here!! Good luck to you!

OH, AND BY THE WAY EVERYONE, I'VE LOST 3 MORE POUNDS!!!

Height: 5'5"
Weight: 165
Starting Weight: 178
Goal: 150 + muscle

Size 10 - here I come!!!!!

Old 11-09-2004, 11:56 AM

I think that sugar is definitely a problem for me. I can't eat just a little bit. I crave more. Foods with fat in seem to cause the same problem. Basically snack foods. I going to make a real effort to avoid snacking for a few days. Hopefully that will break the "addiction" and make things easier. OK, so here's my goal: no snacking for two days (two days doesn't seem too overwhelming).

Today so far I've eaten a bowl of oatmeal with raisins and some honey. And drunk a couple of cups of tea.

Look forward to getting to know everyone!

Joanna
Old 11-09-2004, 02:18 PM

Hey Joanna,

If you are going to try to cut out sugar, I strongly recommend finding some sort of sugar substitute that works for you. If you are opposed to "fake" sugars, you can try Stevia. There are various brands and from conversations I've had, some are better than others.

I know that my own sugar addiction is so high that if I ate oatmeal with raisins and honey, that would probably sabotage me for the entire day. I really can't do just a little. But sometimes I'll treat myself to raisins and peanuts as an evening snack.

My other suggestion is to make sure that you have a variety of healthy snacks on hand, to keep you from getting hungry and then overeating later. I keep just about every nut I can find, along with cheese sticks and other cheese snacks. I used to have a snack at 10:30 and 3:30 every day, but as I've lost weight, I don't do it as much. However, yesterday I went to a meeting and didn't have a snack. By the time I got there, I was starving, so I went ahead and had a pastry. It seemed so sugary to me, that I nearly gagged. At least I chose a pecan tartlet, so it had some protein in it. . .

When in doubt, justify, justify, justify!!

Old 11-09-2004, 02:46 PM

Ick! I'm an idiot! I just ate a Twix bar! So much for a two day goal! I think you're right mmgarda, healthy snacks are the way to go. My justification was that I need to pump milk for my baby (I work FT) and I always have a snack after doing that. And there's only the snack machine.

I need to run errands at lunchtime and know I'll be tempted to drive-thru but I have lunch in the refrigerator - ham sandwich and carrots.

MUCH smaller goal - DON'T "drive-thru" at lunchtime.
Old 11-10-2004, 03:53 PM

It's really helpful, reading everyone's suggestions about sugar and carb control. I've been having a really hard time getting back into the healthy lifestyle that I had going on for awhile. 2 months ago, my dh made a carrot cake with cream cheese icing. I'm a stay-at-home mama and the temptation was just too much. I'm not going to be able to change his eating habits, so I have to learn more self-control. Well, that carrot cake just threw me way off and now everyday, I've been snacking a lot of sugary stuff. Sugar is such an addiction. I'm going to go for smaller goals as well. Today, I will snack on that bag of carrots I bought yesterday.
Any suggestions for a good daily low-carb/sugar breakfast? I usually eat 1 packet of natural sugared oatmeal. I know this is making me crave sugar all day.
Old 11-10-2004, 04:38 PM

Oh, it's so hard to avoid. If you manage not to sabotage yourself, others do it for you, don't they???

I finally made a mandate for my DH. I'm home, you're not. If you want to eat cupcakes and fries, do it while you're away at work or out in the evenings. I have really started to view it on the same level as alcohol or drug addiction. If I were a recovering user, he wouldn't buy gigantic bottles of booze and have them lying around, right? Honestly, it's the same principal.

The positive upshot is that he eats SO much less crap.

As for fast-food, I've found that Carl's Jr. has a great option: the low-carb combo! Lettuce wrapped burger/chicken (any style they have), a salad and a diet soda. Cool, huh? I"m not a huge fast food person, but it works in a pinch.

Also, I'm a big fan of dumping out the contents of a taco or burrito and just eating that. Yum.

Breakfast today - two pieces of bacon and two fried eggs. Fatty, but delicious.

My personal success lately? Having 4 different people in a row see me and say, "Wow! You look GREAT!" Imagine what they'll say after the next 15 lbs!

WE CAN DO IT!!!

Old 11-10-2004, 06:44 PM

I'm doing OKish today - had oatmeal and raisins with a little sugar, LOTS of cups of tea, chicken salad for lunch... the only real slip up was eating some Cheez-Its this morning. I meant to only have a couple, but you know how that goes. No sugar craziness today though. I'm going to try not to snack on anything this evening and take some carrots and raisins to work tomorrow for the seemingly unavoidable mid morning snack.

Going to hop on the scales on Monday and see how things stand (don't think I've done well this week and don't want to be too discouraged).

I feel more motivated just from having made a couple of posts here! Long may it last!

Good luck everyone!

Joanna
Old 11-11-2004, 12:18 PM

Hi Everyone!
I'm doing really well! I have been keeping my daily carb total around 20 gms and I'm just not craving sweets anymore. I know if I had even the smallest taste of something sugary it would seriously rock my resolve but as long as I just stay away I'm fine. I'm also finding that I'm not going back for seconds nearly as much as I had been. I just feel so satisfied after one serving that I don't even think about getting more. It is a little strange, like I'm suddenly channelling someone with willpower! :LOL
A couple nights ago I did treat myself to some splenda-sweetened whipped cream, mmm.
Josiesutcliffe, I'm sure you have already thought of this but if not, make sure your oatmeal packet doesn't have added sugar. I think most of the single serve packets do and so you might be undermining yourself inadvertently.

Also (for everyone), a friend of mine who is a naturopath/herbalist/homeopath told me that Nutrasweet does actually raise blood sugar levels, not as much as sugar but it isn't like a free ride, so we shouldn't go hog wild with diet sodas (anyway, they're all chemicals and that's yucky). Hope that didn't sound too preachy!

Have a great day everyone!

Old 11-11-2004, 08:59 PM

Hey guys,

Mind if I join you? I am so working on losing weight. After my first pregnancy most of my weight gain dropped off in weeks, all of it in a few short months. This time I am having a tough time dropping any at all. I was 190 or so before giving birth, and for three months after stood at 180. Finally I am down to 165 and my daughter is 5 mons. I need to get down to 150 to feel good about myself. I would like to be 140, but that is a little far fetched at this point.

So my goal is to lose 15lbs!!!

I could really use some support.

I am not into the no card thing because I feel it is unsafe at least for extended periods. I will work on low-carb though to a degree. Mostly what I can say I will do is cut out most sugar and increase my fruits and veggies and water and start EXERCISING!

My goal for exercise will be every morning for an hour (babies permitting) and I will switch it up between cardio and strength. Maybe I will allow 1-2 skip days if I need to. So, in short, between 5-6 days per week of exercise. I will track my progress and try to log it on this thread every day.

Suggestion: Somebody should write out all of our names and our weights and goal weights and total pounds lost so we can keep track and cheer eachother on! It might prove to be a little more motivating. It would also make it easier to get to know eachother.

Good Luck Everbody!
mamadosa
Old 11-12-2004, 07:21 PM

Good idea Mamadosa. I'll start. I'm 5'6". At my ds's 6 week visit with the midwife, I was 192 lbs. At his 7 month doctor visit, I was 168. Now it's 2 months later, and I'm afraid to get back on the scale. I feel like all my hard work has been for almost nothing, I haven't been doing so well the past couple of months. At least I'm not 192 anymore.
The past couple of days, I haven't been able to cut out the sugar. The cravings are so strong. I have however lowered the amount considerably. And, I'm working on increasing the vegetable intake. I still haven't gotten back into the exersicing yet. I think I'm going to order another pilates video to encourage me. The old ones are boring now.
Old 11-12-2004, 08:08 PM

ARGH!
I was doing GREAT!

Then this morning dd wanted toast, no prob, I made her some Pita toast with lots of butter. She didn't eat it. I thought, "oh that looks sooooo yummy. I haven't had pita toast in years! I'll have just one bite." and I did.

Then, after I picked her up from school we stopped on the way home to get her a gordita (just a corn flour pocket with cheese and chile inside that the nice lady makes out at the corner).
I honestly wasn't even that interested in it but I took the tiniest nibble just to taste it. Then another and another until I'd eaten almost half of it. I quickly threw the rest to the dogs (dd was completely unimpressed with it).

Then I went to clean out her lunch bag and saw that she hadn't finished her pb&j on a pita that I'd sent her off with. So then I ate that!

It isn't the actual amount of the little bites I had that is making me feel like such an idiot, it's that now, after having ZERO cravings for carbs for a week, I suddenly am salivating at the mere thought of something doughy and sweet. I KNOW this about myself and yet I went ahead and ate the stuff anyway!!!!
WHY? WHY? This must be what addiction is like. That stupid, irrational thought that just a tiny tiny bit won't hurt. But it does!

Please everyone, just me okay? and maybe it will stick that I am a carb addict and I can not handle any refined anything.

Whew. Thank you, Self-loathing rant over. I feel a little better.

Old 11-13-2004, 06:47 PM

Good Morning!

I think we should try to come up with a set of group goals. Like cutting down on sugar and getting 15mins (babysteps) of exercising (at least) every day. If I know someone else is doing it it is easier for me to get it in gear. Nothing wrong with a little healthy/friendly competition to help us out.

Some moms have told me "Oh, I'm not going to worry about my weight while my kids are small." For me it is not only about weight. I am not worried, either. It is about staving off depression and low self-esteem which are very good reasons to get healthy. I am happy to be me regardless of my weight, but it gives me a boost to be moving in the right direction. When I am not at my best it has a ripple effect on my family. I want to better myself and my body and I think it is a great time to start. I remember exercize and eating right were what got me through postpartum with my first child, so I know it will this time too.

Let's take into account all the reasons we want to get fit. Not just losing weight.
Old 11-14-2004, 12:51 PM

Okay, I'll start:

1. I want to be fit, aerobically, muscularly and emotionally.
2. I want to be a good role model for dd.
3. I want to feel comfortable in all the clothes in my closet.
4. I want to look like a bad a$$ like Linda Hamilton in Terminator 2. :LOL

Old 11-14-2004, 01:52 PM

Okay, me next:

1. I want to have energy to take on the things I've been putting off.
2. I want to be less grouchy and tired from bad eating, not enough sleep, caffeine...I want natural energy throughout the day.
3. I want my son and daughter to grow up saying they had the best mom and actually mean it.
4. I want to take care of me for me, too.
5. I want to feel proud of myself and my accomplishments everyday.
6. I want that zest for life that I see in so many people that I haven't had for some time (hey, I'm a mother of small chilly's, but still I want to move toward that.)
7. I want my db to be amazed with me (like he doesn't already, but even more so...)
8. I want to look good for my wedding, (no date set yet but will be within two years most likely.)
9. Oh, yeah, and I want to be a sexy, hot, ON FIRE mama. I want sleek sexy muscules. Toned hips, thighs and stomach.

Here's a Mantra for all us to say to ourselves when we are feel in like reaching for that sugar or whatever "Nothing taste as good as thin feels."

Elena is getting mad, gotta run.

Today let's work on getting some (any) ex. and eating at least 4 serv. of fruit and veg and lots of water. Post back how you do.

Maybe we should come up with a goal for the day every day. We can take turns.....

Now she really mad.
Old 11-15-2004, 11:57 AM

These are my thoughts on why I want to loose some weight:

Just after I had William, after hardly gaining any weight during the pregnancy, I dropped 37lbs! I fit into clothes I'd not worn for ages. It felt great! I want to feel like that again - to be able to feel like my body fits me - not as though I have extra stuff to carry around. When I look back at pictures of me with my kids, I want to be happy with what I see - happy mum with happy kids - not be distracted by the fact that I have a chin "roll" and hefty arms. I want energy to be able to play with my children, do a good job at work and not be a grumpy wife.

Didn't do so well this weekend - some friends brought over a big gooey cake and I ate too much of it. Also had a burger for lunch on Saturday and some chicken wings last night. But it's a new week and I'm trying not to beat myself up over the weekend. There's no limit to the amount of times we can "start over". Feeling more determined now...

Quote:
Nothing taste as good as thin feels
I like this. I'm going to repeat this every time I feel tempted.

How's everyone else doing?
Old 11-15-2004, 02:17 PM

Nothing tastes as good as thin feels!

I am going to be repeating that over and over today and tomorrow! Today I've got a birthday part to go to and tomorrow a fancy pants cocktail party. Then I just realized that Thanksgiving is next week!
Holy Cow!

I tried on a pair of jeans that fit me briefly last year at this time. I couldn't get even close to zipping them I've still got a long way to go.

Old 11-15-2004, 03:10 PM

I had a really good day. It seems like everyone is really getting motivated. Yesterday, I had no sugar. I kept my portions small, and I started with the intent of doing my 15 minutes of exercise and kept going for 15 more! I finally feel like I'm getting back on track again. Thanks everyone for the encouragement! It definitely helps checkin' in with y'all.

My reasons:

1. To feel way better.
2. To improve my sex life.
3. To have healthy energy.
4. To be noticed more by my dh and whoever else might be looking.
5. To not flab around when I walk.
6. To not have rub spots on the inside of my thighs in the summer.
7. To be one hot, sexy, mama
8. To be a good influence on my ds's..
9. To look good in a bathing suit and sexy lingerie

NOTHING TASTES AS GOOD AS THIN FEELS!!!!!!!!!!

I'm going to write this on post-its around my house. On the insides of my kitchen cupboards. On the fridge. Everywhere.
Old 11-15-2004, 03:48 PM

Oh, I just remembered something good I did this weekend - I got a new baby sling, strapped my 26lb William onto my back and went for a walk - twice! Up a hill! So maybe that mitigates the cake a little.
Old 11-15-2004, 07:03 PM

We all know carbs and sugars are addicting. Does anyone know the facts about using alternative sugars and using whole wheat flour? Can they also be addicting, just to a lesser degree? I just bought some fructose and am using that in my tea. Anyway, if anyone has any good info about how refined sugar and flour affect our body, I'd like to hear about it.
Old 11-16-2004, 01:08 AM

Hi NorCal Mama, I found that the description of how your body metabolises carbs in the Atkins book to be really clear and to the point. Basically all carbohydrates no matter what type are turned into glucose which is the easiest thing your body can use for fuel and so it does. Whatever glucose your body makes and doesn't use immediately is stored as fat. The differences among carbs can be seen on the glycemic index which just rates how fast your body is able to turn the carb into glucose. Glucose was randomly assigned a value of 100 as it is instantly absorbed and used (or stored as fat) so the higher on the glycemic index a carb is, the faster your body will have to use it or store it. Foods lower on the index make your body work harder to metabolize them and so the shock to your blood sugar is less extreme.
All that to say that I would guess that fructose is quite high on the glycemic index and that while whole wheat flour is probably better than white (as it is less refined) it is probably still pretty addictive if you are a carb junkie.
In any case, you could surf around at http://atkins.com/why/ana.html for some more information or probably googling carbohydrate metabolisis would get you going in the right direction.

OT! I had my first of two parties this week tonight and I was really really good. I ate a chicken breast before I went so I wouldn't be hungry and I actually (first time in my life) passed on not only the chips and dips but also the birthday cake! I'm rather proud of myself, I don't mind saying. Tomorrow is Party Challenge Part II. Wish me luck!

Old 11-16-2004, 03:44 PM

I said this over and over to myself as I went grocery shopping yesterday. I stuck to my list. Don't you just love how the sugar industry markets their products so that you can't avoid them? Bakery next to the produce, candy bars etc. at the check out line. And at kids levels as well.

Thanks Plady for the info and link. I'm going to check it out after writing this. Yesterday was another successful day. Completed my pilates, kept the portions small, and healthy snacking! I'm on my way.

I have noticed since I cut out the refined sugar and flour that I'm not craving them as bad, even though I have replaced them with fructose and wheat flour. I am lowering the amounts of carbs as well. Maybe it's partly a head thing.?

Have a nice day everyone!
Old 11-17-2004, 07:22 PM

Well, the big eat-fest is next week. Time to start thinking about it if you haven't already. Here's some realistic goals I've made for myself:

1) Only 1 plate of food
2) Try a little of everything I want(non-desert) with keeping the portions small
3) I will allow myself 1 piece of pecan cake with whipped cream.
4) Go for a nice long walk afterwards

User Tag List