runnin' mamas! sept 26-oct 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-27-2004, 06:38 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
i'm surprised no thread yet today. I guess so many newly pregnant mamas means our tribe is ever changing. I've revamped my work schedule (yet again. it seems to be a dynamic equilibrium...). anyhow I am home all day monday now...

goals for this week: run 10 miles, total. and attend 1 yoga class

off to do the first run with dh and dd and doggie. should be an adventure!

Kristin -- mom of Erin (11/5/02) and Leah (9/29/05)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-27-2004, 09:57 PM

Hey! Just checking in...can't believe I'm only the second one to post.

I outran a hurricane today. Well not really, but I ran 3 miles this morning as Jeanne was blowing in and it was crazy. It wasn't raining, but I had a nice tailwind as I started and then as I finished I felt like I was running in one of those wind resistance tubes. Awesome.

Also, in sorta-running-related news, I went to a new midwife for a pre-concep. appointment and she was so fabulous and totally encouraged my running and new eating habits and all that. Great to be affirmed for it. They also have a high success rate with VBACS, she said about 85 percent. Sounds good to me!

Happy running and I hope everybody's just off having a good day.
Peace.
Old 09-28-2004, 12:46 AM

Hi ladies!!

Here are my goals for the week (last week in minutes.. next week I'm taking on the miles!!)

M-15 minute run (CHECK)
T-30 minute long run
W-Off
Th-20 minute run
F-20 minute run
S-20 minute run
Sun-Off

Good luck everyone & have a good week!!

Jen - Mama to V (b. 2-18-09) and AJ (b. 10-9-11) Wife to DH

Old 09-28-2004, 11:18 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamabeth
They also have a high success rate with VBACS, she said about 85 percent. Sounds good to me!
Wow!

I went running last night: 61 minutes, but it took 2 hours. After about 10 minutes Karen started saying she wanted out, so I got her to stay put long enough to get to "her" park. So we stopped at the park for 45 minutes before I got her back into the stroller and finished the run. We then had to take a major detour on the way back because it was The Night of the Stray Dog.

I have LLL tonight, so I'll go running again tomorrow. I'm still somewhat behind on my long-term goal (726 minutes down or 28% and already 39% of the time has passed) but I didn't realize how much time selling a house would suck up. We're coasting on that now, so it's easier to get out and run.
Old 09-28-2004, 11:28 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geofizz
I'm still somewhat behind on my long-term goal (726 minutes down or 28% and already 39% of the time has passed) but I didn't realize how much time selling a house would suck up. We're coasting on that now, so it's easier to get out and run.
so does that mean you have it all cleaned and ready to show or you have it almost sold? just curious.

I've overestimated how much time the lab crisis (es) of the last two weeks was going to take and am very behind on running.

We did 2 miles yesterday. Trail running with dh and dd. I was in charge of the dog and dh and I ran about the same speed bc he was navigating the mud puddles with the jogger.

8 to go.

mb ---> I didn't know you had a csection. It sounds like your new mw practice has big success on vbac.

but I did get in

Old 09-28-2004, 11:38 AM

House ~ We have cleaning and getting the house ready to show down to a science. We're no longer spending 2 hours a day cleaning. Maybe it's just because we don't care that much anymore. Oh, well. No, the house hasn't sold. The sellers of the house we bought in OH just agreed to all our remedies we requested after the inspection. The upshot is that the house will be safe to move into (electrical and Radon problems fixed) and we get $1k off our closing costs. Since the house here hasn't sold, every cent counts.
Old 09-28-2004, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerc
mb ---> I didn't know you had a csection. It sounds like your new mw practice has big success on vbac.
Yep, they are sort of famous around here for being the crunchy practice and VBACs. I did have a csect for lots of reasons but mainly (I think, and my new mw agrees) I was 40 lbs overweight when I got pg and way out of shape, so got high bp and all that. Not that it's the only reason for c-sect but I think it was the reason for me. So I feel good about TTC again in a few months knowing that a great mw is going to be taking care of us.

I didn't do goals, so here goes:
Mon-3 (done)
Wed-3
Thurs-5
Sat-10K race near my house

I'm going to try to get a good Peachtree time for next year at this one, and break the hour barrier hopefully if nothing else.
Peace.
Old 09-28-2004, 12:04 PM

Hi everyone!!! I'm back!!
I've missed you all!!!
I ran 7 ks yesterday, and 8 ks on Sunday. My shins are very sore!!!
Sunday:8ks
Monday:5ks (did 7)
Tuesday: off
Wed: off
Thursday:5k
Friday:5k
Saturday:5k
Also, 2.5ks hiking/with dogs everyday, over and above the running.
No more biking too drk in the mornings!!!

Geo, I also want to sell my house, but I just don't feel like keeping it clean, kwim?
Old 09-28-2004, 01:56 PM - Thread Starter

mamabeth, I had a csection too. Not quite sure why -- well I know why, erin didn't want to come out the front door. But I'm not sure why she didn't want to line up right. I wasn't overweight, was reasonably fit, had an active pregnancy, not drugs during labor....yada yada yada. awesome that you have lost a lot of weight and awesome that you found a great practice. (i must say awesome more than I think because yesterday erin told me that ju-ju (breastmilk) was awesome).

nat welcome back!

geo -- good luck on the house selling. it sucks to sell a house (i moved about 7 times between birth and college and each time my folks made us clean clean clean).

Old 09-28-2004, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerc
geo -- good luck on the house selling. it sucks to sell a house (i moved about 7 times between birth and college and each time my folks made us clean clean clean).
LOL. The packet of stuff the realtor gave us before we listed the house had a "parent-kid contract" that was a piece of paper for the kids to sign saying they'd keep their rooms clean. Maybe now I know why my parents never moved.

MamaSoleil, welcome back! I still think of this group as your "baby." Why did you change your name back?

kerc ~ check your email. I'm forwarding something to you about women faculty.
Old 09-28-2004, 04:12 PM

Thanks sisters!!!

Karen, I changed my name, because another user here, who had the same joiner date as myself, changed her user name to mamasoleil, and I was confused when I saw a thread started by her, and was trying to figure out when I had started it! :LOL
Anyway, I PM'd her, because I was worried that because we had registered at the same time, people would think she was me, and she also heard from many other mamas...lol
So, she changed her user name, and I took it back...I've missed me!! LOL
Old 09-28-2004, 05:25 PM

Hi everyone...

I'm here, but not HERE, if you know what I mean. I'm in the midst of a very troubling day care situation, and sort of focused on that. It's no fun...and I NEED to run but haven't found time yet. I went M W F last week, but haven't since. Maybe when DD is in bed tonight, I'll be able to...or maybe tomorrow morning.

If anyone is interested, I have a long and ranty thread going in Working Mamas (under Parenting Issues)...

Mamabeth -- hooray for great midwives!!! and, good luck on your 10K, in case I don't make it back here this week

Geofizz -- good luck with the house sale!!!

Everyone else -- happy trotting!
Old 09-29-2004, 02:39 AM

I'm still here too, and you won't have to worry about me cooking another baby and taking time off of running! (Although I'll probably always wish I could've talked dh into at least 1 more.)
I'm having a heck of a time getting into a routine again now that the kids are back in school and things are busier. I did run 5 miles on the treadmill tonight, at 10 minute mile pace and it wasn't so bad, but I hadn't run since 9/22 before that.
Ds is in the middle of cross country season and also competitive marching band season, so my weekends have been pretty well taken up chasing around after him. Swim team practices just started back up yesterday for my middle 2, also, so we'll be running after them soon again, too. My little one is cutting teeth and nursing all night again, too. I'll just have to keep plugging along, I guess, when I can.
On a slightly related note, my ds's stupid high school athletic director decided to enforce the school's policy on athlete's appearance. My ds had longer hair, about shoulder length, cut in that popular shaggy style. He's a pretty clean cut kid, hair is always washed and brushed, clothes neat, and he's very respectful, enjoyable teenager for the most part. Mid season the athletic director announced that he had to cut his hair or he couldn't run for the team. The policy (a copy of which we had to sign at the start of the season) isn't even all that clear, and ds had long hair last year too and no one said anything. I thought it was pretty stupid, but left the decision up to ds. He decided he'd rather run, but still wanted to make a point. Long story short, I'm now the proud mom of a bald as a pool ball runner! He shaved it all off yesterday. And ran several seconds faster than his previous personal best in a meet today! (But numerous girls told him today how much they missed his hair, which of course he enjoyed immensely. Poor inexperienced guy, he was telling his girlfriend all about these girls on the phone tonight, and I'm trying to tell him it's not nice to gush to your girl about all the other girls who are checking you out!)
I'm not even posting goals this week. I think I can fit in at least 1 more run before the weekend, but I'm on call this weekend, so we'll see how that goes. Hope the rest of you are finding the time you need!
Old 09-29-2004, 11:06 AM

DJ~I love your son's approach to the "rules"! Good luck finding some time to run. Your life sounds pretty hectic!
Old 09-29-2004, 11:41 PM - Thread Starter

1 mile run today. 7 more to go before monday.

my run today was a quick run with the dog in the dark. better to run the 1 mile than nothing. I planned a bit longer run ~2 miles but I ended up watching my friends' kids during a trail race my dh was doing. Much more fun to babysit well behaved kids than to stand around waiting for the runners to come back. But... we got back a little later than planned and well, it was darn dark. so i abandoned the run.

Old 09-30-2004, 12:42 AM

Dr Jen you are one busy mama!!

I have only got two real runs in. I got sick last weekend and I tried running on monday and my lungs burned and my ears started throbbing, so i hate to stop after one mile.

Starting to get a little paranoid about my race on Saturday. I know i will do fine. Now i just want to sign up for another one so that I can feel really prepared and see what the difference will be.

Running is continuing to help me lose weight and tone up. I think i have dropped two sizes since i started 5 or 6 months ago.

gotta run tomorrow. i'm gonna try 3 miles IRL for the first time! (i've only done it on a treadmill)
Old 09-30-2004, 10:21 AM

Good luck on your 3 mile run, Hynbee!! You'll do just fine... don't stress about it too much. Have fun!

Old 09-30-2004, 10:01 PM

I ran 6 ks today!!! Smells SOOOOO good here...the leaves are 50% changed in color..so beautiful!!!!
Old 10-01-2004, 12:07 AM

I have loved running through the fallen leaves this week, and tonight I got to see a huge orange moon rising while I was running. Sometimes running is so peaceful and beautiful.

Old 10-01-2004, 12:14 AM

The month of the Harvest Moon...so many memories!
Dh and I used to hike this one mountain to the moon, every harvest moon, and sleep up there....ah the memories!!!!
Old 10-01-2004, 10:56 AM

Hi there...

FINALLY made it down to the basement to run today. Still stuck at 3 miles with some walking in there, but it's SOMETHING. I felt pretty yucky when I started, so I'm not surprised that I was slower than before. I would really like to have a menstrual cycle that is more than 25 days long! It's making me nuts!

I am very jealous of all of you who run on leafy trails. I think I'll have to make time very soon to take DD on a hike through one of the forest preserves around here. I can BE outside, but running outside has just been so hard on my lungs the past few years. It must be so relaxing. Enjoy it for me!

Have fun, everyone!
Old 10-01-2004, 12:06 PM

Head full of snot here. My last run was Monday.
Old 10-01-2004, 02:31 PM

Hey gals, I'm brand new on MDC. Is this as straightforward as it sounds, moms who run and we're all supporting each other? I'd love to play along!
Old 10-01-2004, 04:06 PM

I've found this group to be very useful for motivation to get my butt out the door. It also is one of the only places to find information on combining running with parenting. Goodness knows, you won't find any discussions anywhere else on the net about the ins and outs of running with a nursing toddler!

Are you already a runner or just getting started? Either way, this is a great group!
Old 10-01-2004, 04:11 PM

Glad you are here! The great thing about the running mamas here is that you will find we are all at different levels. some veterans and some rookies...but great support from all!

PS. i love that name cordelia...so beautiful!!
Old 10-01-2004, 06:51 PM

Hi and welcome from another Southern running mama. This is a very supportive (and straightforward!) forum and like Geo said, there's probably not another one like it out there.

I'm running my 10K tomorrow and have high hopes...my "impossible" goal is to do it under 55 minutes because that would get me a spot in the Peachtree right behind the elites, I think, assuming I get into the race. I hope I do well but I've had a weird cold for this week with major sinus headaches...I think it's just dd's crud hanging on.

Take care and have a great fall weekend!
Peace.
Old 10-02-2004, 12:28 AM - Thread Starter

massive headache this evening so no running today. but, are you ready? Totally T

We're more or less done with the basement!!

you can see a few movies here. warning don't think you'll see anything quickly unless you've got broadband. my dh somehow thought a picture wouldn't capture the look as well (he's a little nuts, but i love him anyway). http://www.unc.edu/~chaos1/basement/basement.html

we're up for a hard frost this evening. I believe the weather folks: it is darn nippy out there right now. My garden might be spared as I live in very close proximity to Lake Superior (which is warmer by the lake in cold weather, cooler by the lake in warm weather). the leaves are fabulous and we are headed out hiking this weekend. happy running to ya'll and welcome to the running thread AuronsAura.

Old 10-02-2004, 01:54 AM

Hey everyone, I didn't run today, spent the day sleeping after my nightshift last night.
Welcome Auron'sAura, jump or run right in!

Tomorrow, I'm hoping for a good run. AF is almost done, so I should have the necessary energy to see me thru!!!
Good weekend all.
Old 10-02-2004, 10:16 AM

My run last night was interesting. It was very chilly and rainy, well it would only rain in bursts which made it even more strange. It was also kind of convienant, everytime I got warm the sky would let out a mist.

I had planned on taking a certain route - a loop around my neighborhood. But when I got to my first turn, there was a white dog playing behind some trees. I knew it wasn't tied so I took a different way and went through town.

This morning, I am doing a hike with my Girl Scout troop at 10. So I am thinking that I will go to the park early and get a run in (check out the trails too) before everyone else arrives.

Have a good weekend!

Old 10-02-2004, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JenLove
I had planned on taking a certain route - a loop around my neighborhood. But when I got to my first turn, there was a white dog playing behind some trees. I knew it wasn't tied so I took a different way and went through town.
About half my runs end up with an untied-dog detour. Sigh.

Sounds like a fun weekend!

User Tag List