does anyone get up extra early to work out? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 22 Old 10-19-2004, 09:16 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
i'm not a morning person. i'm not an exercise fanatic. and my daughter nurses.

am i nuts to be thinking about this?

i have *no* other time during the day. by night, i'm way to worn out, and then i can't sleep if i work out. the only workout i get in is walking with the stroller, and that's getting old. i miss my firm videos (never thought i'd say that, lol).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 22 Old 10-20-2004, 12:49 AM

Hi! I have done the early morning workout at different points in my life and found it to be a super 'kickstart'. I didn't, though, while ds was nursing -- it was too important for me to be in the bed with him in the morning. If you think you can make it work, I'd say, give it a try. Just don't be too hard on yourself if it doesn't jive with your dd. I am so glad, looking back, that I didn't compromise my nursing relationship with ds to workout in the mornings (as hard as it was at the time -- soooo flabby and longing to feel, well, not flabby!) Anyway, once ds was no longer nursing, I went to the gym at 5:30 or 6:00 am and was back before he woke up (Sometimes I'd even make muffins for breakfast!). It actually gave me tons of energy, and I felt so good thru the day knowing I had already worked out. I just found it important to get to bed early. Also, doing an early workout, it seemed manageable to do the 'super-earlies' on Tuesday and Thursday, and then a more moderate 'early' (like 7:30) on Saturdays. Good luck!
#3 of 22 Old 10-20-2004, 10:59 AM

I run early in the morning, after dd nurses if she wakes up really early, and before. I didn't start doing that til she was about 18 months, though, and I knew she would be okay if it was dh instead of me. Now if I'm gone, dh says that she asks to nurse and he tells her I'm running, and she is okay with it. But that's not a place a one-year-old would probably be. As far as feeling better, though, it's a great time to go when you can!
Peace.
#4 of 22 Old 10-20-2004, 12:30 PM

Yup finally very proud to say that I am doing this.
I have never been much of a morning person so it was a difficult transition and I kind of think it always will be!
However I am in my 6th week of hitting the gym at 5:30am!
My energy level is so much higher along with my self value. I am finally doing something for myself!
I have worked out most my life but since the birth of my son TWO YEARS ago I have been VERY irregular with exercise. I just couldn't find the time. This time works for me though because there is no guilt. I am not missing out on anything because he is sleeping when I leave and still sleeping when I get home!
It's not easy to get into the routine and I think it is a bit of a fight to stick with it....10pm to bed now seems late and before it seemed SO early.
I am loving and am feeling great!
I am going to try hard to keep it up!
I'd say give it a whirl!
#5 of 22 Old 10-20-2004, 01:25 PM

thread hijack here:
i used to regularly swim in the morning (like 10 yrs ago when i was in college). I ran this morning (a tiny little short run) and I am starving. How do you handle food?

i should add I am a WOHM so i can't just run to the icebox. Do I bring a huge breakfast to work and eat basically a second lunch around 10 am when I get hungry?

Kristin -- mom of Erin (11/5/02) and Leah (9/29/05)
#6 of 22 Old 10-20-2004, 01:44 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Kristin,

I've had the same problem with morning runs and getting hungry at work. Once you know it's an issue, you just bring food to account for it. For days that I run in the morning (hmmm, last time was a few months ago) I'd bring an extra muffin or two and an extra piece of fruit and eat them around 10 am. More water, too.
#7 of 22 Old 10-20-2004, 03:04 PM

kristin, I used to do the same thing, and yes, I had a second, bigger bfast ~10am.

evening exerciser here. both boys wake up around 8 am but we all go to bed late. we used to go in the morning, maybe things will change after daylight savings, next week.
#8 of 22 Old 10-20-2004, 07:41 PM

Tomorrow is my first early morning workout! I'll be at the gym at 5am. For the last 6 weeks, dh and I have been doing a fitness boot camp class. He did the 5am class and I did the 5pm class. We finished the class and just joined a gym. I can't wait!
#9 of 22 Old 10-20-2004, 07:54 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doodlebugsmom
Tomorrow is my first early morning workout! I'll be at the gym at 5am. For the last 6 weeks, dh and I have been doing a fitness boot camp class. He did the 5am class and I did the 5pm class. We finished the class and just joined a gym. I can't wait!
i want to hear all about your class!
#10 of 22 Old 10-20-2004, 08:10 PM

Quote:
i want to hear all about your class!
Whew! Well, first of all, it was the hardest thing I've ever done in my life! Every single class, I felt like I was going to die. We did lots of running and sprint drills. Lots of crunches/ab work. Lots of intense strenght training push-ups, squat-thrusts, heel-stompers, squats, etc. All these were done repeatedly as fast as possible, with lots of running in between sets. It was a one hour class, 3 days a week. It was crazy. The results were amazing though. At the first class I could do 12 sit-ups, 10 push-ups and my 2 mile run was 27 minutes. At the last class I did 50 sit-ups, 30 push-ups and ran 2 miles in 20 minutes. I lost 10lbs. and 2.5% body fat. I have more energy now and feel great. I can't imagine not taking the time to work-out. I can deal with my kids so much more easily. I have more patience with them and feel much better about myself. Plus, having an hour or so to myself several times a week feels great!
#11 of 22 Old 10-21-2004, 12:44 PM - Thread Starter

wow woman!! i can't imagine. thanks for telling me about it...that's one of those things i might do, er, someday

seriously though, there is something appealing about it.

i need to get in shape.
#12 of 22 Old 10-21-2004, 01:15 PM

I would recommend doing it to kick off an exercise program. It sucked so bad while I was doing it, but it was so worth it. I feel totally comfortable working out in the gym now. Before I would have been embarrassed!
#13 of 22 Old 10-21-2004, 10:11 PM

I'm seriously thinking about starting this. My schedule is so busy, squeezing in my workouts between 5:45 and 7:00 am is my only option!

You gals have really motivated me. I'm gonna do it... next week. :
#14 of 22 Old 10-21-2004, 10:30 PM
Banned

Please share what you ladies do when you've had a short nights sleep. AM is the only time I can get , if I wait till afternoon nap I tend to cut my workout short because there seems to be to many other things that need my attention. So mornings my I can hardly drag my butt out of bed. I yearn for a cup of joe first thing then I end up sitting to long and drinking coffee. :
#15 of 22 Old 10-22-2004, 10:57 AM

Well, I'm never asleep before 11:30pm. I did my first 5am workout yesterday and it was geat. I didn't have a problem getting up at 4:30. I only workout that early two days a week. On weekends the gym doesn't open that early, so I work out later. I think that I can manage 5 hours of sleep two nights per week.
#16 of 22 Old 10-22-2004, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doodlebugsmom
We did lots of running and sprint drills. Lots of crunches/ab work. Lots of intense strenght training push-ups, squat-thrusts, heel-stompers, squats, etc. All these were done repeatedly as fast as possible, with lots of running in between sets. It was a one hour class, 3 days a week. It was crazy. The results were amazing though. At the first class I could do 12 sit-ups, 10 push-ups and my 2 mile run was 27 minutes. At the last class I did 50 sit-ups, 30 push-ups and ran 2 miles in 20 minutes. I lost 10lbs. and 2.5% body fat.
That is awesome!!
So inspiring!
And, I see that you have two children, too.
My little one is 12 weeks, so I'm ready for a bootcamp myself! I was just thinking of going online and reading about fitness boot camps yesterday. And look how lucky I was to read your post this morning!

Yesterday, I made time for a yoga video (15 min. a.m. wake up). That must have inspired me. I went out at 4:44 p.m., putting ds in the baby jogger for her first jog! For some reason, I wanted to wait until she was 3 months. (She will be next week.) It was a beautiful day, and I ended up pushing her to my parents' house (via gravel roads)! I did some walking and enjoyed the scenery. It took a while... about 90 minutes for 6.5 miles. But, my intention was to enjoy the run/walk and to get some good cardio vascular exercise.

It's interesting how everything's a domino effect. Now, I'm greatly inspired to drink lots of water. And, I did the yoga video (15 min. a.m. wakeup) this morning.

Doodlebugsmom,
Thanks for inspiring me!!
#17 of 22 Old 10-22-2004, 02:20 PM

I'm glad I was able to inspire you! Good luck on starting an exercise program. The boot-camp was so hard, but so worth it. Twice during the program I actually started having post-partum bleeding again and considered quitting. Fortunately I kept it up and the finally stopped for good. It was hard to leave my ds at first, but I was only gone for 1 1/2 hours 3 times a week and dh is awesome about allowing me to have some time to do what I need. I'd go to class and when I'd get home dh would have ds in the Bjorn and have the whole house clean. It was unreal!
#18 of 22 Old 10-22-2004, 11:16 PM

I used to get up super early to workout (5am) but now that DH doesn't even go to work until 8:30am I've slacked off and normally sleep until 7:30 or so. DD wakes up between 7:30 and 8am so if I just got up at 7am I would have time to throw something in there.

I could take the dog for a walk/jog if the weather is nice, run on the treadmill if it isn't or practice yoga with a video.

Now I just need someone to be accountable to!
#19 of 22 Old 10-26-2004, 09:04 AM
Banned

You guys have inspired me. THis is my second day in a row that I've done my workout early.
#20 of 22 Old 10-27-2004, 01:06 AM

I wake up at 6 to go walking at 6:30. I need to be home and ready for my daycare boy that arrives at 7:15. However, the rain and the darkness is hampering my walks. I've tried doing videos but doing those first thing in the morning is much tougher for me than doing them in the late afternoon or evening. I kind of prefer to work out in the evenings, which I'm now considering doing on a regular basis, at least through fall and winter.
#21 of 22 Old 10-27-2004, 01:12 AM

Hi there,
I wake at 5:15 each day to be at the Y by 5:45. I swim for 45 minutes then I go in the steam room for 15 minutes and then I am home by 7:15 so my dh can be to school in time.

It is the only time I get for myself so I grab it.

I love leaving the house when the city is sleeping, no one is on the road to interfere with my bike ride to the Y. Luckily its only a 10 minute ride but when it gets cold its tough. Like today was -10 and brisk!
#22 of 22 Old 10-27-2004, 12:51 PM

Hi there! I go early, but not exactly 5am! LOL

Every day I get up between 6 and 6:30... ds (18mo) wakes up somewhere in that window to nurse so I nurse him back to sleep before I leave. 3 days a week I go work at my Curves just as soon as it opens, the other 3-4 days I go trail running/walking. I haven't been pushing myself much on my running so I'm only running sets of 5 min run/2 min walk.

My whole day goes better when I start it with exercise. I go to bed between 10-11 most nights so I get a good seven hours sleep most of the time. Some nights I don't get to bed until 11:30 but I still get up because it's worth having a better day and being more patient with the kiddos.

Good luck everyone!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page