Argh!! How Do I Get Rid Of My Big Behind!!!! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 10-27-2004, 05:11 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I think that is my problem. my waist seems to be getting pretty flat, but oh my gosh that thing behind me!!! How do I get rid of it?

Please help!
#2 of 6 Old 10-27-2004, 07:50 PM

I would say... cardio and what you're putting into your body.

All the exercise in the world won't do much for fat-reduction. It WILL firm up your muscles, but you'll hardly see them unless the fat is gone!

Cardio (anything from walking to running to cycling/spinning to aerobics class) speeds up the heart beat and allows the fat to be "burned" off. And the less fat your put into your body, from food, the less there will be on your body.

Two years ago I picked up Susan Powter's 'Stop the Insanity'. I couldn't put it down! Yeah, she can be pretty forward but I feel that what she says is really good! She doesn't count calories or grams of fat. That's too tedious. Instead she counts PERCENTAGE of fat. From what I've garnered from her book and her interpretation of the ongoing trend of how much our bodies actually need... In order to maintain our weight, we should eat no more than 30% fat. If we want to decrease the fat on our bodies, then we decrease how much we PUT IN--down to 20%.
It's actually quite easy to do and SO MUCH MORE simpler than counting calories/grams of fat and limiting our meals.

Quote:
Grams of Fat X 9 (9 calories per gram of fat) / number of calories.

So... if something has 5 grams of fat and 130 calories you'd do this:
5 X 9 = 45
45 / 130 = 0.346 You multiply that by 100 = 35% fat.
ONLY 5 grams of fat you say? Yeah, but it's a whopping 35% fat! That might be fine, as long as you don't eat like that all the time.
I did what she said, did Yoga in the mornings (Baron Baptiste style--does stretching AND cardio AND strength); and weight training three times a week. In five months I went from 160 lbs to 135 lbs and I looked GREAT! Because the fat that I lost was replaced with muscle, hence the not 'great' weight loss. But I was leaner!
(We won't talk about the depression that stopped it all and had me balloon up to 170 lbs! ) :

So.... in short: cardio and nutrition is what I would suggest. For now.

DISCLAIMER: I should add I am in no way a certified ANYTHING. I just share what I read and what worked for me.
#3 of 6 Old 10-29-2004, 03:43 PM

DDR....its for playstation 2. Its a game that you dance with. It is totally awesome!! You have a pad and arrows. You follow the arrows on the screen to know where to step. My friends brother lost 45 pounds doing it.

I've been doing it a week and can already see and feel a difference!! My tummy is even flattening out!!!

Single Mom to 2 amazing little men. T(7) and B(5)
#4 of 6 Old 10-29-2004, 06:06 PM

not just cardio and what you eat but i would add in a weight training routine. muscle burns more calories plust weight training done properly should give you a really nice bum
mandi

Midwifery student , Mama to my 4 amazing kids. treehugger.gif

#5 of 6 Old 11-01-2004, 10:37 PM

Thanks for the idea anansay... I need to try that! I've been active for 5 years and need to lose a bit more. Still bf'ing so nothing extreme but this sounds easy!

I better go get some light cream cheese.
#6 of 6 Old 11-02-2004, 04:54 PM

Just another thought on the "% of fat" idea:

It is important to keep the % of fat to a healthy level for your overall body health. A high-fat diet is not good for the heart. But, it should not be particularly relevant to weight loss. One calorie is one calorie. It can be harder to feel filled up if you eat too much fat, and so you'll eat more calories. But, an excess calorie from eating too many apples will be converted to fat in your body, even though there's no fat in the apple.

So, you still need to eat fewer calories than you burn to lose weight. From a weight loss perspective, it doesn't matter if you eat 1500 calories per day of olive oil or 1500 calories per day of carrots. Either way, if you use more than 1500 calories in energy, the weight will come off.

So, the mix of calories and foods should be chosen to give optimum nutrition and satisfaction with the food (to keep from feeling hungry and eating more calories), but the total number of calories is what counts in actually burning the weight off your body.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page