I need to **GAIN** weight! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 10-31-2004, 01:29 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ok,so this is a topic,we dont see too often-and I wouldnt even be posting this,if I wasnt so worried about my health. I have in the past 2-3 months lost 20 lbs(unintentionally)-I now weigh 101lbs,which is very scary. I've been under TREMENDOUS amounts of stress these past few months,which is most likely the reason for this. I eat like its going out of style,so its not an eating issue,the doctors did a bunch of bloodwork-which all came back fine...so now I just need ideas. I was thinking of starting up yoga-to lower my stress levels,but I'm afraid adding an exercise regimine may cause me to loose more weight (???). I really hope someone out there has some ideas; I dont like this at all-I'm bony,lathargic,moody,achy(it even hurts to sit cuz my tailbone isnt protcted by anything but skin)...anyways,thanks in advance!
#2 of 5 Old 10-31-2004, 01:41 AM

Exercise doesn't always cause weight loss. I am currently going through something similar so I'm going to listen to the advice I dish out and try to sample some of it. If you aren't sure how to go about lowering stress and gaining weight, get with your doctor. You may have a vitamin deficiency. B vitamins can help the body better cope with stress. Your body may be depleted of B vitamins or something else. Start out with a full physical from your doctor complete with blood work. Then look at your diet. I know you eat tons. I do too, but what are you eating. You may need to include more EFAs in your diet. I think I probably need to do that too. After going over your diet, proceed with a muscle-building exercise program. You should be doing weight bearing exercises anyway to maintain bone density. I know it's hard with children to remember to carve out time to take care of yourself, but remember, an empty vessel cannot pour.
#3 of 5 Old 10-31-2004, 11:52 AM

i had this problem too. the first week after my ex-husband left me i lost 10 lbs dipping me under 100 lbs!! and after each of my babies were born i'd lose too much weight and i could eat anything under the sun and still be too slim. i found that once i started running regularly i put on at least 5 lbs. i also agree with the weight training, i do that regularly too. as for eating, protein shakes are great, they can add alot of calories that are healthy, i usually put in 11/2 cups of mixed berries and water and a scoop of protein powder. i know it's frustrating, just keep our chin up.
mandi

Midwifery student , Mama to my 4 amazing kids. treehugger.gif

#4 of 5 Old 10-31-2004, 02:26 PM

you're eating a lot? what kinds of stuff are you eating?
I need more protein than I regularly get.

also be sure to avoid stuff like caffeine bc it can mask hunger -- so you go longer between eating.

are you able to get enough sleep? lack of sleep = major weight dives for me.

Kristin -- mom of Erin (11/5/02) and Leah (9/29/05)
#5 of 5 Old 11-01-2004, 10:09 PM

Suprisingly this is all too common. This can be for many reasons. I would consider seeing a nutritionist. Your insurance may not cover it, but most nutritionists I know will work on a barter system. They can look at your diet, and may know what blood tests to have you take to tell what you are lacking. As a gastric bypass patient..I have this problem, although it is a little different, there are many commonalities. I do not absorb nutrients as readily and have to be creative in the way I eat. Getting healthy protien-I use shakes and bars, but you can get it from many sources. I really enjoy cheeses and lean meat. My younger dd is very small. At 2.5 she is only 22lbs. She was my breastfed, carried all the time..never put down baby. She is a mile a minute. thus...we have to add things like peanut butter (my grocery store has a peanut grinder with organic peanuts where you can make your own peanut butter..yumm), and other things with healthy fats. We use a lot of avacado! High calorie, good fat, etc. I really liked my nutritionist, and the lady at the WIC clinic helped me with my dd's nutrition. I mix powdered milk into her whole milk. Eliminate all foods that are non nutritive! No pop, no hard candy(just suger), chocolate is great! Make sure it's the good stuff though. That is all I can think of for now.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page