What were some of the WORST things you did to try to lose weight - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 11-02-2004, 09:22 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Well, I'm sure all of us have our horror stories of weight lose. We perhaps all have been scammed or mislead in some way or perhaps tortured our bodies to lose those pounds...lets share those wonderful experiences....LOL...

One of mine was when I was either a freshman or sophomore in high school. It was the summer so I don't remember which but I know it was early in high school. Anyway my friend and I were planning our vacation to Ocean City and we wanted to look "sexy" in our bathing suits, or at least comfortable. We were spending our early summer baby sitting her little step sister and brother and decided that for the next four weeks we would do anything to lose weight aside from laxitives and diet pills.
Well I went into my mother's and grandma's stash of Richard Simmons workout videos from the early 80's and their cans of powdered SLIM FAST. Remember when that horrid stuff use to be powder, though I must say its no different now.

Well we had chocolate and vanilla, both smelled nice in the can. The vanilla had somewhat of a soy vanilla smell, very pleasing. The directions if I"m not mistaken said to add water, and the amount and enjoy. Well it was nothing pleasurable about that. No wonder people lose weight on that, its disgusting. I think drinking my own vomit might of been better, yeah thats gross but really ewwwwwww. And no wonder they say have one for breakfast and lunch, you can't eat anything after drinking those things. The vanilla tasted like chunky chalk bits and the chocolate tasted like sour milk. You would think after experiencing something like that we would of stopped. Nope we continued with the toxic sludge for four weeks, we lose 5pounds each more due to being sick to our stomachs half the time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 13 Old 11-15-2004, 01:47 PM

What was the wosrt I've done...

My Sophmore yearin college. I ate 1 meal every 2 or days. If I got hungry I ate a sugar cube to raise my blood sugar enough to not be hungry. I dranks tons of water. And ran 5 miles a day.

I went form an almost 18 to a 6 in about 3 or 4 weeks.

Single Mom to 2 amazing little men. T(7) and B(5)
#3 of 13 Old 11-17-2004, 12:50 AM

I guess the worst thing I did was start throwing up. Bulimia is a long, hard battle that NO ONE should ever, ever, ever try. I associate it closely to being like an alcoholic. I damaged my throat, teeth, and self-respect. I wish society would wake up and realize how damaging the media and diet industry is on young girls and women. The image that we should all be thin and beautiful is destroying our self-worth.

Mom to two boys, ages 8 and 11, and one blessing due May 8th.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 baby.gif 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40

#4 of 13 Old 11-17-2004, 01:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by its_our_family
I went form an almost 18 to a 6 in about 3 or 4 weeks.
how on earth did you manage to run 5 miles a day while you were starving? how is that even possible? what was your motivation?! (kids at home: do not do this!! it's dangerous!)

the worst thing I ever did to try to lose weight was ....nothing. lots of nothing, nothing and more nothing. after I had N, my midwife said "dont worry the pounds will come flying off." no they didnt. I had to join ww to get them all off!
#5 of 13 Old 11-17-2004, 02:11 AM

What haven't I done to lose weight? Probably the worst was when I was struggling w/ anorexia and started doing cocaine to lose weight. I ended up getting really addicted to the stuff, luckily I had dh to pull me out. That is definately not something I'd recommend.
#6 of 13 Old 11-17-2004, 02:04 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
The worst thing was taking laxatives in college. I did it periodically over a few months. It was so stupid because not only was my diet okay, but I was exercising daily. I would love to weigh the same now as I did then. It stinks how screwed up your perspective can get
#7 of 13 Old 11-17-2004, 03:03 PM

I tried taking some supposedly "natural, herbal" pills from gnc. I forget what they were called, it wasn't any of the stuff that's gotten publicity for being bad for you or anything. They suppressed my appetite and gave me energy alright..... my hands also shook uncontrollably, I felt lightheaded and my heart beat so fast and hard I felt like it was going to spasm right out of my chest, even if I was sitting still. Scary.

Single student mama to dd 5/04 and ds 11/07.

#8 of 13 Old 11-18-2004, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boston
how on earth did you manage to run 5 miles a day while you were starving? how is that even possible? what was your motivation?! (kids at home: do not do this!! it's dangerous!)
I have no idea how I did it. It was def dumb. I would just about pass out on the treadmill but I'd perk back up pretty fast. Towards the end of it I started eating a little more but mainly it was like I posted above. I drank tons of water and took a vitamin or 2 a day.

Motivation?? I was tired of being fat. I read a book called The Weigh Down. It said to only eat when your stomach growled and told you you were really hungry and to eat whatever you craved. If you were hungry but didn't have a craving then you were REALLY hungry. So, wait till you knew what you wanted. So, thats what I did.

IT IS VERY DANGEROUS!! NO ONE DO IT!!!

Single Mom to 2 amazing little men. T(7) and B(5)
#9 of 13 Old 11-28-2004, 03:43 PM

It is so sad what people do to lose weight. My whole family has struggled with their weight and thankfully we have all changed since my mom joined WW and encouraged everyone to take care of themselves. We all have our low points though.

When I was 17 I lived with my dad. There were so many things going on in my life that I couldn't control, except for what I ate. I remember regulating myself to 1/2 a bag of skittles throughout the day at school and then eating a regular dinner at home. Sometimes it would be only one cookie at lunch and then dinner. I was hungry all the time, but it made me feel good. I was the thinnest I have ever been but I know that I could never do that to myself again. I did it for about a year then I moved back wtih my mom and then started gaining weight again.
#10 of 13 Old 11-28-2004, 04:05 PM

Weight Loss Clinic. This was back in the '80s. You had to visit the center 6 days a week. They called you repeatedly if you were late or a missed a day. I think it was around a 700-800 calorie a day diet. Condiments and spices (salt, pepper, mustard, etc) were off limits becasue they made food "taste too good". I lost 55 lbs in less than 3 months. I felt brainwashed by the end. Gained 15 lbs back immedielty, the rest was back on within a year. To this day my husband (then boyfriend) thought it was a cult.

Pardon me while I puke.gif

#11 of 13 Old 12-02-2004, 03:10 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Worst things:
- Chew food and spit it out. I thought it was somehow better than throwing up.
- Waste money on over-the-counter diet pills that were just caffeine.
- Drink 2 pots of coffee a day.
- Start throwing up. Luckily I only did it for a year or so. I only lost a few pounds that way.
#12 of 13 Old 12-02-2004, 03:17 AM

and it could have cost me my life...

i got hooked in crystal meth. i went from about 215 pounds to 150 in a few months. and i am a very tall, large boned gal so 150 is not flattering. all my bones poked out. i looked like a walking skeleton. luckily i met my now dh who hleped me see the light. (he is so anti-drug, don't know what he saw in me back then!)

i am now even a little bigger than i was in the beginning and i still stuggle but i just think about that dark time in my life and count my blessings!
#13 of 13 Old 12-02-2004, 10:34 AM

crystal meth in high school, and later on, chemo. (but that wasn't for weight loss :P)

Both dropped my 5'4" 200+lb frame down into the 80lb range .. I mananged to get my weight back up to around 130 before ds, but it dropped to the 90s after having him .. then dd got me up to 180 during pg, then I dropped to 130 afterwards. I was SO happy to have that "extra" weight on me and get to stop shopping in the girls dept. it was funny. Now I'm up to about 142 at 6mo pg, and hoping i'll end up around this weight afterwards ~ even WITH nursing and chasing around the 6 under 7 we'll have then.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page