Yoga and Inversions While Pregnant - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 01-13-2005, 09:14 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
During my first pregnancy I was only doing yoga from a book and a video and both warned against doing inversions during pregnancy.

Now I take classes as well and my teacher said it's okay. She's seen pictures of 8 mo. pregnant women doing handstands.

Anyone have an opinion on this. What's the potential harm of doing an inversion...increasing the chances of a breach maybe?

Thanks
#2 of 5 Old 01-13-2005, 10:12 PM

Hi there, yoga mama...

I searched the yoga journal site, and here are a whole host of articles regarding pregancy and specific asanas. Here are two relevant articles. Both state that although it's been done, inversions during pregnancy are the exception rather than the rule, and to base it on how strong your practice was before pregnancy.

http://www.yogajournal.com/practice/767_1.cfm

http://www.yogajournal.com/practice/224_1.cfm

Articles also mention that the third trimester is a time to rest and relax, and as inversions are such powerful poses... The second article does mention that if you are so inclined to invert during pregnancy, to do so near a wall for safety.

Hope this helps!
#3 of 5 Old 01-14-2005, 01:26 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks! I print those out and bring them to class. I got really lucky, my yoga teacher got pregnant right around the same time I did and she's going to prenatal yoga training in April I think. So now I'll get prenatal yoga and I won't even have to change classes!
#4 of 5 Old 01-14-2005, 02:00 PM

Vivianna...

How awesome that your yoga teacher will be taking a prenatal training! And extra wonderful that you'll both be taking the pregnancy journey together.

I just finished a yoga teacher training course and am hoping to take a prenatal course soon. I am a children's yoga instructor now and it would be such a nice way to round out my teaching practice.

There's also a nice book that is helpful, I think it's called "Yoga Mom, Buddha Baby". A lot of it is for the postnatal period as well.

Best of luck to you!

Michele
#5 of 5 Old 01-14-2005, 07:02 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidspiration
Vivianna...

There's also a nice book that is helpful, I think it's called "Yoga Mom, Buddha Baby". A lot of it is for the postnatal period as well.

Michele
I actually have that book but I'd forgotten all about it. Hopefully I can find it!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page