Fitness/Weight loss Challenge~Goals and Chat Jan 22 - Jan 29 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 56 Old 01-22-2005, 10:44 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
HI Everyone!

I thought I would combine the weekly goal and chat thread to streamline things! Hope that works for everyone! Simplicity you know.

Post up you weeks goals and lets chat and stay on track!
#2 of 56 Old 01-22-2005, 10:52 PM - Thread Starter

My goals this week:

1) Continue with the no eating past 7pm thing. Its really working out.

2) Have more fresh juice first thing in the AM with coconut oil

3) Yoga~minmum four times this week

4) Swim~twice this week

5) Gym Cardio~three times this week

6) Drink at least 5 litres of spring water a day

7) Limit to one cup of grains a day

Changing it up a bit to keep it fresh.

Don't want to set such extreme goals that I completely give up by day three, which has happening twice already!

Up side, I have noticed more tone in my tummy, thankfully its not so smushy.
#3 of 56 Old 01-22-2005, 11:56 PM

i need to get back on track. My nausea went away pretty quickly on Friday, which is good but then I was STARVING from not eating much all morning. We ended up going to dinner with my parents that night and had chinese food. yum. Then today I've been working on birthday cake for dh, and i made cornbread to go with dinner, and Friday I had made hummus when the nausea subsided cuz that sounded yummy--so I've been snacking and haven't exercised since----omg, Wednesday!!!! I need to get back on track. The scale isn't budging, if anything it's trying to creep upwards. It's just wrong. wrong, wrong, wrong. This is all making me rather discouraged. so:

1) limit snacking: carrots, celery, air-popped popcorn
2) control portion sizes: just cuz DH can eat that much without gaining an ounce doens't mean I can
3) drink more water, and less hot cocoa
4) EXERCISE, EXERCISE, EXERCISE. I may have to dig out my nordic track somehow. and I think I need to get up with dh so he can watch ds and try to get in 20-25 minutes then, and then another little bit later when ds is distracted by toys or something.
#4 of 56 Old 01-23-2005, 11:27 AM

Last weeks goals:
*Aerobic exercise at least twice this week
~Did cardio FOUR times last week! Woo-hoo

*Drink two more glasses of water a day
~ So-so Somedays were better than others

*Work more veggies into my meals
~ Did bad on this one

*Go outside and have fun with DD!
~Well, the temps have been in negative numbers all week here so we only went out once for about 15 minutes.

This weeks goals
* Start a food journal
* Do 3-4 sessions of cardio
* Drink MORE water
* More veggies! Veggies are good for me.

Sorry my goals are so similar to last week but I have to take this slow or I know I'll screw the whole thing up.

Jenny, proud maker of red things
#5 of 56 Old 01-23-2005, 12:47 PM

Hi all! my goals are the same- treadmill 5x a week, stretching/yoga 3x a week, and eat when hungry stop when full and make healthy food choices.

I've been doing better this week so far. I really got tripped up on the weekends before, but we haven't gone anywhere and lo and behold I'm still on track!

Even had a birth this week, which usally I eat unhealthy. I tried to make decent choices and I did better.

Sahm mom to three lovely girls, and happily married to a great, sweet guy
#6 of 56 Old 01-23-2005, 09:55 PM
Banned

Checking in.

Well, haven't weighed for this past week but am sure I haven't lost as I am staggered and stuck. Eating really well, just too much. Ok, so eating as I am hungry but still. My 10 month old has popped another tooth and a growth spurt continues so of course she is nursing like a madbaby! I mean I feel my milk come down within 2 hours!!

I am still drinking 2-3 litres a day of water, so that is a routine already. Easy.

Eating fruit every day.

Eating more veggies and making home cooked full dinners that are pretty well rounded.

Trying for bigger breaskfasts and lunches.....

Trying to journal as WW BUT it isn't really helping all that much though I am doing it.

Hopefully will be getting my treadmill this weekend coming so that will be a total wonderful thing as I plan to be on it daily!

Other than that nothing much new...finding I am eating more on weekends, giving in to more sweets....I'm not happy with myself overall with that aspect.

HUGS everyone!
#7 of 56 Old 01-24-2005, 12:02 AM

April--I'm with you on that: I try to eat well, but I'm SO hungry all the time. I honestly think that my dizziness/nausea on Friday might have been a calorie-deficiency or something cuz eating seemed to help a great deal. And I'm not losing. I managed to get off the holiday pounds without a problem but this pregnancy weight. ugh! I sick of being fat and squishy! (and yet I just ate a handful of hersey kisses).

Anyway, dh moved my nordic track upstairs where it is warmer. no tv in the room though so that makes it boring. Hmm, I seem to recall that at some point I had a book rack on that sucker, maybe I could read while I exercise. so my plan is to get up in the morning while dh plays with ds and exercise then go back to bed with ds (it's a routine in the am: dh takes ds down with him when he goes to eat breakfast, then brings him back up to me and we sleep some more). hopefully this will help. I'm also hoping to still get my denise austin workouts in, though tomorrow is going to be hard cuz of preparing for dh's birthday, and this week I have workers in my house replacing my furnace.

Good luck everyone!
#8 of 56 Old 01-24-2005, 12:16 AM
Banned

Mama Rana wow thank you for replying saying all of that! I don't feel so alone and like I am the only one who needs to eat so much! I am starting to worry I am making excuses but I am ravenous many times! I also lost the holiday 5 lbs I had gained, but here I sit stuck at the weight I have been since I had the baby..........ok so half of it fell off after birth but I still have the other half left to drop to get to pre-preg and then pre-preg isn't even my goal!!!!!!!!!!!! ARGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

<breathe> ok Rant done. I CAN do this.
Dh tonight said he wants me to place the treadmill here in the playroom/computer office, (so I would be able to use it everyday and want to) and I said I felt bad taking up more of the kids' play area and that baby dd (10 mos) now cruises across the room so I would be jumping on and off treadmill ruining workout chances, and then my oldest dd (5) pipes up with ;"Oh no you wouldn't mom, because ***I*** will be there to watch her for you!"

Did I mention I love my daughter(s)? My husband?
#9 of 56 Old 01-24-2005, 03:12 PM

Hi all. I've been pretty up and down with my goals. I strained my back using my Urban Rebounder and that has made it more difficult to workout ever since. So today I ordered a new exercise bra that I hope will be more supportive and will keep my back from getting messed up. Am seriously considering returning the Urban Rebounder and getting some Walk Away the Pounds tapes instead.

I did pretty well eating my fruits and veggies til the weekend hit, then I got all messed up. I also made a batch of brownies on Saturday which in itself wasn't a bad thing to do - I just wish I could stop at just one when I decide to have a treat!

I lost a half pound which was better than I thought I'd do....

My goals this week:
- order a Walk Away the Pounds DVD
- cardio 4x, Pilates 2x, yoga 1x
- 5 fruits/veggies a day
- start a food journal!!!! (didn't meet this goal last week)

Allrighty, that's all from me for now. If anyone has any experience with WATP, I'd love to hear about it!
#10 of 56 Old 01-24-2005, 03:22 PM

April--yup, me too. I gained some 60 odd pounds with ds ( : ) but within the first week I'd dropped 30 (I was retaining water like the Hoover Dam). But since then, nada. Then I gained a few over the holidays, managed to get that off (yeah), and now, well....

but I have good news, and I have good news:
I did 20 minutes on my nordic track this morning, pretty much all legs, but that's ok, it's like a vigorous walk.
and, I decided to weigh in this morning so that I could sorta start over, see where I was at and move on, and well, I was down a pound! woo hoo! Gotta keep it up now. I'm busy cooking for DH's b-day dinner tonight, so hopefully I won't snack all day so that I can afford to have some of the cake I made for him and ice cream I bought to go with it.

Keep going ladies! We'll get there soon enough!

(Oh, but I just found out that my sister is eloping in February, and then having a reception the next week, so in less than a month I have to dress up. man couldn't she have warned me: those pictures last a lifetime!!!) (and I only found out cuz my aunt slipped up, and she only knew so that she could look into getting plane tickets)
#11 of 56 Old 01-24-2005, 07:18 PM

Hey all! Today was my weigh in day, and I lost maybe 2 pounds. I was a little dissapointed, as I cheated and got on it last thur. and it was a 3 pound loss then... but am just starting a period so that may be it, as I have been eating well... but hey two pounds is good enough...

And today, I was feeling deprived and grumpy and then remembered this is not about dieting for me, and restricting isn't what I need to do to make lasting changes. So, I had one piece of chocolate cake and enjoyed every bite with my coffee! And I don't feel guilty and I didn't binge on say, three pieces...

#12 of 56 Old 01-24-2005, 07:28 PM

congrats HeatherE!!! 2 lbs in a week is nothing to be ashamed of!! That's almost 9 lbs a month or over 100 a year!!!! And I like your attitude about the cake. That's what I want: a healthy moderation so I can enjoy treats when I want to, and be healthy overall.
#13 of 56 Old 01-24-2005, 07:38 PM
Banned

It's true the slower we lose the weight the longer it stays off properly. A dear friend reminded me of this when I was whining yesterday..............

So I'll take a lb or two a week if I can manage even that!
#14 of 56 Old 01-25-2005, 12:23 AM

earthchick --- i have 5 WATP tapes..whatcha want to know?
#15 of 56 Old 01-25-2005, 09:41 AM

Hey 3bees! I thought someone on here had mentioned WATP before. Do you like them? Do you use them? What's your favorite? Is it enough of a workout? (My dh looked skeptical when I told him I was going to just walk in the living room! ). I ordered a 2-pack that has 1 and 2 miles on one DVD and 3 miles on the other (Super-Fat Burning + Get Up and Get Started High Calorie Burn) and then I also ordered a 4-mile for when I'm ready to move up (Express - Super Challenge). I also ordered Leslie Sansone's new book for a little extra motivation. Which ones do you have and which do you like best?

My plan is to do this 4-5 times a week, keep doing my Pilates tape twice a week and then next week I'm going to add my weight training back in finally. What is your workout routine?
#16 of 56 Old 01-25-2005, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Do you like them?
yes, i do...

Quote:
Do you use them?
: had to ask that didn't you. . .not for awhile

Quote:
What's your favorite? Is it enough of a workout?
i like the 3 and 4 mile...what i like about them is you can just do one mile at a time if that's all you have time for and those two are more intense than just doing the 1 mile alone...kwim? yes they definitely get your heart going and the sweating running.

Quote:
What is your workout routine?
: if i had one, i'd be glad to share it....thanks for the kick in the pants...:LOL when i do do it, i mostly just do whatever i have time for and mainly the 3 and 4 mile ones.

i have the 1, 2, 3, 4, and one called Walk Strong that's a strengthening one...it's good too.

let me know if i can help with anything else...
#17 of 56 Old 01-25-2005, 11:57 AM
Banned

Ok time for a stupid question regarding this walk video walk away the lbs......(forgive my ignorance : )

How do you walk in your home? Do you walk on the spot? Do you walk around the furniture? I am totally not getting it....
#18 of 56 Old 01-25-2005, 02:48 PM

I went to the doctor yesterday and i weighed 173 lbs. That is the same I weighed in December. Doctor asked me what was going on and I made a litany of excuses: my herniated disc was bothering me, I can't get out of the house this winter(battle of the snowpants) dd doesn't want to go to preschool which was the time I planned to workout, I feel bored and sorry for myself so I binge on sweets. He looked at my blankly. We are cooped up now because she has fifth disease and she is so cranky and clingy that we can't seem to get anything done.
#19 of 56 Old 01-25-2005, 02:53 PM
Banned

Mangomama on your dd being sick. AND you being cooped! I totally am living that too for no good reason...other than our vehicles taking turns dying on us here....

Quote:
He looked at my blankly.
Isn't this every damn doctor pretty much??? I swear they truly know not much. We are taking Ang for her vax on Monday (we selct and delay ours) and I know right now mine will question IF we're still nursing and I'll have to lie and smile and say YES but not exclusively (we are but I have to fake it) because last time she hounded us saying we MUST get IRON into her through cereals blah blah and I just laugh and told her NO...but her look of blank dismay was annoying.

So I plan to lie and fake it. LOL
#20 of 56 Old 01-25-2005, 03:04 PM

Hey mamas,

My goals: cardio, abs & weighttraining 6 days, 1 hr. (divided into morning/night

no dairy

whole foods

1 piece dark chocolate on days I succeed.

I have to report--on Sunday I went & painted/cleaned restaurant, and didn't do my cardio...but did my abs & did 2 hrs on Monday to make up for it.

I had a bite of my daughter's bean & cheese burrito. I also had 1 Tablespoon of cream cheese...but I avoided an entire lasagna I made & my dh made calzones & mine had no cheese so the good with the bad.

I made an awesome lentil curry soup & have been living on this! Low salt w/ good fats coconut milk...it's totally tasty too. so my whole foods is better--whole wheat tortillas. I bit too heavy on the bread though. I bought some whole wheat pastry flour & am going to make loaves that hopefully my kids will eat too.

I need to get some more dark chocolate b/c I've been doing pretty good...I'm about to have AF & I don't feel all bloated & nasty b/c of all the excercise!

I agree w/ taking doctors with about a BLOCK of salt You can't put your entire opinion in someone else's hands YKWIM?
#21 of 56 Old 01-25-2005, 03:39 PM

ok, i'm joining in!

i only have 1 goal. my goal is to do a workout video every day, monday-friday. i've already done one today. i have the firm, tae-bo basic and winsor pilates. it doesn't matter which one it is, it just has to be something.

my motivation is swimsuit season losing 10 lbs would be great, but more than anything i want to get toned.
#22 of 56 Old 01-25-2005, 04:40 PM

Not much to add right now. Everything is about the same. My first weigh-in will be a week from today. I'm just here to subscribe and : (Don't worry, I'll just have one or two handfuls.)

Jenny, proud maker of red things
#23 of 56 Old 01-25-2005, 05:02 PM

hey ladies--i'll ask in the food forum as well, but since i'm here: how can i airpop popcorn without an airpopper? is it possible? if not what can i do to make popcorn?

tia
#24 of 56 Old 01-25-2005, 09:48 PM

Anyone here not a veggie fan? I can exersise no problem, I am trying so hard to eat better, and I can eat the whole grains, the protein, and fruit, but man I just don't LIKE veggies!

I am trying to get a salad down right now.... blech.

there. vent over! :LOL

#25 of 56 Old 01-25-2005, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama Rana
hey ladies--i'll ask in the food forum as well, but since i'm here: how can i airpop popcorn without an airpopper? is it possible? if not what can i do to make popcorn?

tia
if you have to use oil, use an oil that has healthy fats...i use olive oil. you could experiment with amounts to try and find the smallest amount possible but still enough cook the corn. HTH!!
#26 of 56 Old 01-25-2005, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatherE
Anyone here not a veggie fan? I can exersise no problem, I am trying so hard to eat better, and I can eat the whole grains, the protein, and fruit, but man I just don't LIKE veggies!

I am trying to get a salad down right now.... blech.

there. vent over! :LOL

I'm with you there! I HATE veggies! Esp. raw ones.. Makes it REALLY hard to diet! I don't mind steamed veggies as much though.. esp. if you steam them then sprinkle chili powder and cayenne pepper on them. It is at least edible that way.

Suzanne~ wife to Jesse, Momma to 3

#27 of 56 Old 01-26-2005, 12:39 AM
Banned

Well.............I am off the wagon so to speak.... :

I baked cookies and peanut butter bars, and while the cookies (pb also) were basically healthy no flour etc I still ate too much today.

I am getting discouraged, I feel fat and gross. I know I look good and carry it well but **I** know the numbers and hanging skin and all that..............

I am so desperate to get that treadmill this weekend I pray the woman hasn't sold it to anyone else...................

Not sure why I am posting this..............I think I need encouragement? I am slumping fast. Just down and cannot stop eating and am sooooooooooooooo damn hungry all the damn time..............and yes the baby is still nursing alot through the day like every 2-3 hours (10 mos) and I am so argh!!!!!!!

Sigh. :
#28 of 56 Old 01-26-2005, 01:06 AM

my2girlsmommy-- you're learning new habits, and sometimes you might slip up. just keep going back to it, and keep exercising. you can do it.
#29 of 56 Old 01-26-2005, 10:13 AM

my2girlsmama - hang in there! Don't beat yourself up. I swear I am hungrier while nursing than I ever was while pregnant. Okay, maybe that's not entirely true (I suddenly remember making myself a couple of waffles every night for awhile during my 2nd tri ), but I am astonished at how absolutely hungry I can become. I keep getting discouraged too, but that doesn't help matters I know. I think the main thing for me right now is to focus on the positive choices I am making (like eating more fruits & veggies and exercising more) and to quit beating myself up for the ways I'm not perfect. Hang in there!

Oh, and I'm not exactly sure how the Walk Away the Pounds tape thing works - I think you mostly walk in place? I'll let you know once I get it today. We have a treadmill and I love it but it's in a room in the back of the house that is difficult to get the babies set up in to watch while I exercise (it's messy, it's down a small flight of steps, it's cold), so I'm going to try working out in my living room for awhile.
#30 of 56 Old 01-26-2005, 10:33 AM

(((((((((((((April)))))))))))))))) Aw hun hang in there! Some days and weeks are better then others. Try and get some sun today or at least get outside. Be gentle with yourself!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page