february run/walk/forward motion thread - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 242 Old 02-01-2005, 11:05 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Welcome everyone to the feb. running thread. Anyone's welcome to join. We're a bunch of parents (moms only thus far) who are trying to juggle working out, parenting, sometimes working and time for ourselves. Most of us run, some of us are walkers, Shantimama and I do some skiing in the winter. We cover the spectrum from those of us who are beginners to marathon runners.

So first posting for february. My goals for this month are 30 minutes of exercise per day. It usually works out to be more like 45-60 minutes a couple of days a week.

and I found this interesting tidbit for anyone who tracks heart rate:
Lifetime fitness has come up with a new way of setting the heart rate
training zone. They did an article in last month's issue which was
kind of difficult to understand, but here's kind of what they are
saying, if you don't know too much then subtract your age from 180,
subtract 10 if you have not been exercising, subtract zero if you have
been exercising 2-3 times per week for the past year, and add 10 if you
have been exercising for 4 times per week for the past two years.

Kristin -- mom of Erin (11/5/02) and Leah (9/29/05)
#2 of 242 Old 02-01-2005, 11:22 PM

So kerc are they saying that whatever that number is, say mine is 155...is that my supposed max heart rate? Mine generally is about 162, when working medium to hard effort.

Anyway, tomorrow I have to get up at 5am to run if I'm going to get it in. I've skipped the last two wednesdays because playgroup is so dang early (9:30am). What is up with that?? I'm hosting this week so it's not like I can even show up late.

This is going to be a hard week to get all of my runs in. I have to do 8 on thursday, but I also have a doc appt for my foot that falls smack during running time.

Ah well. The joys of planning.

Welcome all oldtimers and newbies!!!
#3 of 242 Old 02-02-2005, 03:37 AM
Banned

i'm not a runner but do walk

40 walking with dc
30 on treadmill-incline 6.0 and pace 3.6 mile per hour
#4 of 242 Old 02-02-2005, 08:15 AM

sdgirl! Welcome

So, dd wakes at 3:45...and guess who's laying in bed awake at 5am. Yup that would be me. She fell immediately back asleep with just a reassuring hand on her back. But me, no... Play group is at my house today and silly me I'm nervous about it. I went ahead and got up and did 5 on the treadmill. I was a wreck the whole time worrying that she would wake up, but as you can see I've done my run, taken a shower and am now surfing MDC...and she still sleeps. I'm feeling jealous

Wish me luck at the foot doc tomorrow...hopefully he has an easy solution to the pain in my foot.
#5 of 242 Old 02-02-2005, 09:32 AM

sdgirl!

I'm going to try and go out today again at lunch.

So, opinions please: Here in Columbus (and the paper says most of this region, bbm) we are under a series of bad air days due to high particulates (soot). Should I run inside instead?
#6 of 242 Old 02-02-2005, 10:31 AM

Welcome sdgirl - I recognize you from the weight loss thread

Geofizz - isn't it weird to have a bad air day in the winter? We have them all the time in the summer, but I don't recall us ever having one in the winter. Anyway, I would try and run inside.

Anyway, plan to run for 30 minutes on the treadmill tonight.
#7 of 242 Old 02-02-2005, 10:46 AM

Huh... I did not know that about the weather. I've been forced inside out of necessity so I guess it's a good thing. I think those that are in danger are the wee ones, elderly, those with asthma, or those with any sort of bronchial/lung type problems. But if you have the option to run indoors it would likely be a good idea. Less pollution to yourself.
#8 of 242 Old 02-02-2005, 11:11 AM

Bad air days: In the summer, these are really common because the heat makes a lot of the pollution worse (forming ozone for instance and performing the frosh chem NO->N2O2 experiment) but this is particulate pollution. The high pressure over the region is pretty much trapping all the soot from coal burning power plants and car tail pipes.

I do wonder, however, what my lungs looked like when I ran in the winter in Turkey. I'd come home and blow my nose to find black snot. Barf.
#9 of 242 Old 02-02-2005, 11:18 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geofizz
I do wonder, however, what my lungs looked like when I ran in the winter in Turkey. I'd come home and blow my nose to find black snot. Barf.
yuck! that'd be a no brainer for me --> run indoors.
the mn pollution control agency has an advisory for minneapolis as well, it doesn't cover duluth though. But it is super still air, very humid and very cloudy (but no ppt).

is there an indoor track? (as an alternative to indoor treadmill). I think I recall there being a place you can run inside like that.

#10 of 242 Old 02-02-2005, 11:20 AM

Hi all!

I would run inside, ohio mamas. It raises your risk of heart disease to run on the pollution days too. If you have access to indoor running, IMO it's not worth the risk.

BBM--you are doing so great! i'm jealous of you now :LOL Marathon is early May, right?

Happy Birthday Kerc!!!! (a little late)

My goals for the week are to work out every other day for at least 30 minutes. My knees hurt after Monday, which makes me so but at least there's the elliptical. Here's an interesting thing...my lower back was hurting but a few hours after I ran....magic....went away!

Hollysmom I couldn't imagine running in early pg either, but here I am. I didn't get really sick until 7-8 weeks with dd, which is next week, but running still feels good so I'm going to do it as long as I can. I was terribly out of shape when I got pregnant with dd and I paid for it, so I'm trying to do better this time.
#11 of 242 Old 02-02-2005, 11:37 AM

Welcome sdgirl!

BBM-Good for you getting up and getting the run in. Hope playgroup went well. Hope you can figure out that foot pain.

Geo-that is so gross. Never even thought of that.

Kerc-good luck with the goals. Hope you had a great birthday. How has the drinking less soda going?

Hollysmom-Good luck with the run tonight.

mamabeth-Hope the eliptical will be better for your knees. I know mine have been bothering me lately. I think it's from running on the treadmill then outside and back and forth.

So I ran on Monday 2.2 on the treadmill before work. Yesterday I ran 4 outside. This week is so much better than last week already. My goal is to get 2 or 3 more runs in this week. My goal for the month is to #1-get pregnant and #2- run at least 4 times a week.

Patti
#12 of 242 Old 02-02-2005, 11:40 AM

The university is replacing the athletic center here (for those that have used it, you can probably imagine why...) so they've closed the indoor track for the winter. Ummm, ok? I might go compete for a treadmill or actually try out an elliptical. I've never used one before.

MB~I love running away aches and pains. It took me about 4 months of running before I got to that point. Now, I'm thinking, hmmm, my calves are tight. I need to go running!
#13 of 242 Old 02-02-2005, 11:41 AM

Patti, sorry to gross you out. Be glad you don't live in a city of 12 million people who heat with coal exclusively.
#14 of 242 Old 02-02-2005, 12:56 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patti Ann
Kerc-good luck with the goals. Hope you had a great birthday. How has the drinking less soda going?
this response will take the thread totally t

my birthday was, umm, well exciting. I'm unexpectedly pregnant. :
Which leaves me:

so many fun smilies.

I was sort of planning on finishing the degree and starting a job about a month before this baby is probably due. I went to the OB last week for a pap and you know how they always ask you "what was the first date of your LMP?" .... I couldn't remember. So I spent the weekend obsessing, told dh on monday and tested yesterday. So I'm still in freak out mode.

Anyhow back to the soda question ---> one of the key symptoms for me is waking without any desire for coffee. So...I'm drinking soda for a few days to get my caffeine intake back to zero and then I'll be off soda. I gained A LOT of weight with Erin and some of it I am certain was empty calories. I feel really shitty walking around for months after she was born with an extra 60 lbs. So...I'm shooting for gaining only 50 lbs with this baby. (My sis had a baby last fall and she was really big too. we are genetically thin and tall, so I figure our bodies need a little extra meat to make healthy babies. but not 80 lbs extra!).

back to running.

#15 of 242 Old 02-02-2005, 01:01 PM

Kristin, you had me wishing for all the variety of smilies yesterday in my email.

Congratulations. Here's to a healthy 9 um er 8 months.

Keep moving, ladies!
#16 of 242 Old 02-02-2005, 03:47 PM

Kristin-Congratulations! The shock will wear off in no time! We'll be here to keep you motivated to keep moving. You and Mamabeth will be in this togehter. Good luck at gaining less weight.
#17 of 242 Old 02-02-2005, 11:20 PM

Hi everyone. Is it already February? Did I miss groundhog's day?

I've just spent a week at the in-law's where we were all sick with the flu and I got 0 runs in!!!! I am so happy to be back at my mom's house, not sick anymore, and stomping at the bit. Baby it's cold outside, but I'm ready to run!!

Wooo-hoooh Kristin! Wow! You leave for a few days and see what happens! Congratulations.

Okay, my plan to do SOME sort of exercise every day is totally shot. Now I'm just trying to salvage getting in some exercise a few days a week. I feel like trying get a run in every day to make up for last week. We'll see.....

But definitely a run tomorrow!

Homeschool Planet http://planethomeschool.net
#18 of 242 Old 02-03-2005, 03:16 AM
Banned

I walked on the treadmill for 45 minutes-incline 7.5, 3.6 mile per hour. It was a great workout for me.

2/28
#19 of 242 Old 02-03-2005, 09:19 AM

Kristin !!! Yay! How thrilling. You will find a way to make it all work out. I magically discovered I was pregnant and I was still studying for licensure. It just gave me a kick in the pants to get it done...hopefully that will work for you too.

Geo - I'm sorry I should not have pretended to be so all-knowing about the sickies... I'm sick. Ugh. It's all in my nose but I'm beginning to feel like one of those muppets with a huge nose! I've been told if it's in the head you can keep running, but if it's in the chest, rest. So, we'll see tonight how I feel if I'm too tired or not.

sdgirl- nicely done. That's some incline, I bet your buns were burning!

Today is supposed to be 8, but like I said, we'll see. This weekend is the monster run. 20 miles. I think we will have pizza after...
#20 of 242 Old 02-03-2005, 12:18 PM - Thread Starter

can we talk running shoes again? The dog needed to run on a hard surface to trim his claws down so I took dd out for a run yesterday (it has been like 40 here all week, meaning the snow is receeding from the sides of the road).

anyhow, I'm having knee pain this morning.

Anyone know of any online places that are good to buy shoes? Or a good way to find the shoe I want online? (New Balance brand). I wear size 12, so it can be tricky locally to find womens shoes, but mens are sometimes too wide.

oh and can you all please refresh me on stretching to help eliminate knee pain? It seems like somehow I should be stretching part of my legs because it tends to go away when I stretch after skiing (i.e. ski, stretch = no pain. ski, no stretch = pain).

#21 of 242 Old 02-03-2005, 12:20 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdgirl
I walked on the treadmill for 45 minutes-incline 7.5, 3.6 mile per hour. It was a great workout for me.

HOLY COW!! I'd fall off the treadmill at that incline/speed.

and I read someplace recently (something while waiting at the doc's last week?) that treadmill running IS easier than outside so you should set the incline to 1-2 percent to equal the outdoors. The article argued it was because you didn't have to work so hard to balance, your brain lightens the work on your legs because it can really predict what the substrate will be like.

#22 of 242 Old 02-03-2005, 02:36 PM

knee stretch aka "schatz' stretch". Put one leg forward and the other back. Keeping the forward leg straight (or straightish) drop the rear knee down a bit to give a stretch from the quad up through your hips.

Also, keep your hamstrings strong and stretched. You might actually want to do some strengthening exercises either with a band or some weights. Women often struggle with knees in running-type exercises because our quads "out pace" our hamstrings knocking the knee out of whack.

I wonder if setting the treadmill on an incline will help me? Regardless of speed, I always feel like I'm going to run off the front end of the treadmill.

No left overs to bring for lunch today. Grrrr. (ok, I shouldn't "grr" since we have no left overs because Karen ate 2 whole pieces of quiche last night and then slept until 3 am and woke up this morning sunny and giggly.) Off to find campus food.
#23 of 242 Old 02-03-2005, 03:05 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
kerc - congratulations! Wow!! I know several women who are unexpectedly pregnant this winter...must be something in the air this year!

I was so excited about our move and having a new place to run, but I am really struggling. I was regularly running 5 km and doing 30 minutes of yoga but now I am finding my legs sluggish and my breathing tired after a couple of kms and I don't have the focus for yoga. Maybe I am just more fatigued and burnt out from last year than I realized. I am so tired these days.

This morning I brought some headphones and Tracy Chapman along and that helped a little - only thing is, having lost so much weight last fall, I can no longer carry the CD player in my running pants pocket because it pulls the pants down and bangs around so much that it keeps turning off or switching over to the radio! I will have to find another way to carry it because the music seemed to keep me going a little easier.

I have to re-break the sugar habit. I was doing great, even through Christmas, but we have been warmly welcomed to our new town with lots of yummy cookies and I find myself craving and relying on sugar again. Not good. PMS is over for another month so maybe this is the best time to just go cold turkey again!

It felt so good to lose weight, have plenty of energy for exercise and no aches and pains - I really hope I can get like that again. I hate dragging myself around and wanting to eat more than stretch and run. How long does it take to recover from major stressful events anyway?
#24 of 242 Old 02-03-2005, 03:11 PM

Shantimama ~ I think it's fabulous that you're having that CD player problem! Congratulations on all the hard work.

It took both DH and myself about 3 weeks to feel "normal" again after moving. We were really surprised at how much physical and emotional energy it took.

Also, it's really, really cold out. Remember that if you aren't warmed up enough, your legs are going to feel sluggish and heavy. Consider another layer, especially if you can ditch it part way through into a jogging stroller, and spend more time getting warm before trying to run hard.

DH and I did the month of January without any sweets or desserts. After about the second week, we all kinda forgot about them. Phil's birthday "cake" and ice cream tasted sooooo good. It was much better than had we been eating sweets for all of January.
#25 of 242 Old 02-03-2005, 03:12 PM

Wow, somehow I didn't get the email for that post!!!

Congratulations kerc!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm soooo happy to have a pregnant running buddy! Did they say how far along you are? Here's a good thing...diet soda which I have been mainlining for a year or so tastes gross. I don't want the extra sugar of the regular stuff, so it's been pretty easy to ditch it. Wow, I can't believe it! My best friend IRL is also unexpectedly pregnant after trying for years. Patti---I hope you're next, mama.

I ran yesterday after doing ten minutes on the elliptical. It seemed to be what my knees needed. I think I did about three miles total, and it felt really good.

shantimama--it usually takes me four months to recover from a move. I moved every two years as a kid and then every year or two after that, and as an adult it would take me that long to get back into an exercise routine. Don't force it...you'll be back there before too long. Sorry it's been rough.

Happy running all!
#26 of 242 Old 02-03-2005, 03:13 PM

Shantimama the only thing I can equate with your stress level was when I got married, defended my dissertation, moved, and did my internship (all around the same time). It took easily a year or more to recover. But...I also had a prolonged level of stress. Grad school was exhausting and very difficult. The last year before getting married (etc.) I worked a 30 hr week job, had a 30 hr week internship, and was going to school full time. I slept very little. So, I think it took me so long because it lasted for so long. I think you will recover quickly by just disciplining yourself to get out there. Maybe reduce your mileage though until your energy comes back? And the sugar will definitely get you and sap your energy!!
#27 of 242 Old 02-03-2005, 03:24 PM - Thread Starter

shanti- hope you're enjoying some of this warm weather. Do the Minnesota/Wisconsin/Ohio air quality warning apply to where you are in the great lakes region? That might contribute. I agree that kicking some sugar out of the diet can help. : It is just so freakin hard to do. Cold turkey is the only way IMO. But be gentle on yourself. Moving is stressful, your life has been crazy, you are finally slowing down a bit and maybe you just need to recover from life. on the pants being too big for cd player. If you want to fork over some money they make fanny packs designed for carrying your "walkman". No i haven't YET moved up to discman. I still have the tape/radio version I use in the lab. http://www.tunebelt.com/cassplus

mamabeth -- I don't exactly know how pregnant I am. My best guess is 6 weeks? but I'm really hoping it is more like 8 weeks. The last pregnancy I drank a fair amount of soda and ate candy whenever I wanted. The goal here is to not be totally ridiculously rigid, but to keep the darn empty calories to a minimum, thereby keeping the weight gain to a minimum and the energy level at a maximum.

#28 of 242 Old 02-03-2005, 03:44 PM

kerc - you can do it!!

shanti - have you thought of upgrading to an mp3 player...very small and you can convert your cds to mp format and put them on the player...I use it and it's great. Mine gives me about 2 hours before it repeats. But I know you can get greater memory if you want.
#29 of 242 Old 02-03-2005, 05:42 PM - Thread Starter

I am finally spending some of my christmas book gift certificates and want to get that running/pregnancy book. But without searching the last five months of running threads I can't seem to find it (I guess we talk about ttc and/or pregnancy a lot here).

Anyhow have the title handy?
TIA

#30 of 242 Old 02-03-2005, 05:47 PM

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page