Running Mamas Mid-June - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-13-2005, 03:45 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Running mamas -- we're in here.

Support and encouragement for all women who are either runners or wannabes!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-13-2005, 03:48 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
subscribing.....

Goals for this week:

3 - 4 runs of at least 25 minutes
Old 06-13-2005, 05:16 PM

Wow, it's Monday...I'm so out of it. But here are some goals:

3x-gym, elliptical or treadmill
2x-30 minutes power walk around the neighborhood
1x-5 mile long run/walk

You know, it's really stinkin' hot here, but honestly, it doesn't feel as bad as it did in Ohio. The contrast, maybe? Anyway, Geo, get that pool access already!
Old 06-13-2005, 05:24 PM

Hi!

My goals for the week are:
-3 x 2.5 mile runs
-ab work at least 5 nights

Yes, I have long ago given up the battle of what my 3.5 year old son wears. My MIL however recently gave me her much wanted (HA!) wisdom. She says that each day I should pick out 3 outfits and let him choose one. Okay yeah because I have nothing better to do with my time, than that? :

Didn't run today but will in the morning.

Chrissy, lucky mama to Noah (9), Lilah (6), Rowan (3) and Laney (1).
Old 06-13-2005, 05:27 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I also received similar helpful advice.

Oh, yeah, I've also decided I don't really care which feet each shoe goes on, and I don't care if clothes are inside out and backwards.
Old 06-13-2005, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geofizz
Oh, yeah, I've also decided I don't really care which feet each shoe goes on, and I don't care if clothes are inside out and backwards.

Kristin -- mom of Erin (11/5/02) and Leah (9/29/05)
Old 06-13-2005, 09:01 PM

:LOL You guys are just letting me know what I have in store for me, aren't you?

Let's see.. my goals for the rest of the week are to run 3x (whatever mileage my body feels like). That's it. I did 4.5 miles with DD in the jogger today. It felt hot, for once, and it was only 66!

Monica, mama to Olivia (6)
Old 06-13-2005, 09:55 PM

just have a second to subscribe --

went for a run saturday. iced my knees as soon as i got home and i've been pain-free! woohoo!! i might run this evening if both girls go to bed easily. if not, it'll have to be tomorrow.

it's hot here, too. and hazy. gross. central texas in the summer is oh-so-lovely.
Old 06-13-2005, 10:45 PM

Hi ladies. I didn't post last week because, well, I didn't run but once. :

I have excuses out of my ears, but I should've been able to do better than that. This week I get to prove myself again.

Monday - Yoga and abs
Tuesday - Run 2 and lift
Wednesday - Run 1.5 and abs
Thursday - Yoga and lift
Friday - Run 1.5
Saturday - Run 3.5
Sunday - Yoga and abs

Jen - Mama to V (b. 2-18-09) and AJ (b. 10-9-11) Wife to DH

Old 06-13-2005, 11:22 PM

Just subscribing here...

I've just started running and right now my goal is 25-30 minutes 4-5 times a week. This seems like a pretty timid start compared with what some of you are accomplishing but I'm trying to set something that I can actually reach so I don't get discouraged .
Old 06-14-2005, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizLiz
Just subscribing here...

I've just started running and right now my goal is 25-30 minutes 4-5 times a week. This seems like a pretty timid start compared with what some of you are accomplishing but I'm trying to set something that I can actually reach so I don't get discouraged .
Welcome! That's a great place to start. You have to build up time/mileage slowly so you aren't too hard on your body mentally or physically. Keep it up!

Old 06-14-2005, 12:51 AM

MizLiz, after 25 years of running off and on, 25-30 minutes 4-5 times a week is just about what I do! I do try to run one longer run a week, but otherwise, stick to my 3 10-minute miles. Welcome, and make whatever goals work for you! The ladies here will help you stick to them.

No run today. I am wiped from the weekend. I did do 2 runs over the weekend, so am taking today off. Goal is to run Tues, Wed, and Thurs, with one day being speed work.
Weds will be the hard day to get in, even though it's my day off. The kids and I are taking a field trip into the suburbs to go to Whole Foods and Trader Joe's, and do some other shopping. Then Justin has a baseball game that night. So we'll see if I can get it in.
I was hoping to try out an aerobics class at the Y this week, but my oldest ds who can babysit in the early am for me is gone at a church conference this week. Will have to wait until next week.
Old 06-14-2005, 08:58 AM

Subscribing...

T-4.25 mi + resistance bands
W-work, no run
Th-4 mi + stability ball
F-4 mi + resistance bands
S-try for long run (+60 min)
S-4.5 mi + stability ball

It's going to get tricky for me to get in my stability ball/resistance bands... DS just dropped a nap, so now I'm down to (gulp) one nap a day. Yeesh. Please, someone tell me he *will* nap for longer than an hour eventually?!?!?
Old 06-14-2005, 10:28 AM

hi everyone!

last night i ran up a mountain (as much as i could) and then down it and then tacked on a 15 minute muddy trail loop. my goal is to run up the mountain once a week to prepare for this 1/2 marathon. today i'm going to try to mountain bike with my dh. Wed will be a 35 minute trail run. rest day on Thurs and maybe a distance trail run on Friday. Sat i'm signed up for an all day, outside climbing class. And father's day I'll be holding down the fort.
Old 06-14-2005, 11:05 AM

Hey Ladies!

I have also developed a high threshold for inside out, backwards, awful combinations and even, on occasion, out-of-season clothing. I just can't let ds do the wrong-foot thing, though. Looks sooooo uncomfortable.

Great goals! I intend to run at least one 5.5 miler (which I did on Saturday--no intervals--straight run!) this week, preferably two, and two three-milers. I'm also alternating evening walks and bike rides. Trying to bust through what appears to be the next weight loss plateau. Either they are coming with less time and weight between, or I am becoming less and less disciplined. : I'll do Pilates 4x, too, but that has just become something we do. Hope running falls into that kind of place.

Did not run or walk yesterday. Had to babysit early in the day, and had more tornado weather late in the day, and in between it was 90 degrees. Looks like we have 3 days of 70s ahead, so those will have to be good days for runs!

I am now fitting into clothes 4 full sizes (as in subtract 8) smaller than one year ago. I may only be averaging a pound a week, but after a year, even that adds up! :LOL
Old 06-14-2005, 11:28 AM

1jooj - Wow! Four sizes...that is amazing...and the slower you lose it the more likely it is to stay off

Didn't run last night....we had a big rain storm which at least cleared up some of the smog that has been hanging around for the last week.
Old 06-14-2005, 11:34 AM

welcome mizliz! that sounds like great goals to me. Those 30 minutes will get you in great shape and if you ever *want* to do more, you will have a great base going.

ljooj--congrats on the weight loss!! isn't running amazing! the plateaus suck but sounds like you've busted through them before, so you can do it again.

grnmtnmama--could you maybe lead a running camp for the rest of us? your runs just sound like so much fun!

heat index today is 106, so I will be hitting the gym. But it's supposed to be nice this weekend, as in, low 80s. :LOL Oh and I had an OB appointment yesterday and had only gained one pound in the past month! I was so excited, because last month I had gained 8, so I guess it is going to even out after all. yay for running, and not eating *too* many Oreos.
Old 06-14-2005, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamabeth
heat index today is 106, so I will be hitting the gym. But it's supposed to be nice this weekend, as in, low 80s.
I forget what weather in the south is like. As much as I it here, I miss hot weather a teeny tiny bit. I'm getting sick of rain (speaking of which, it's raining AGAIN!). But supposed to be nice this weekend, as in high 70s!

Ok I didn't post my goals for the week and here it is Tuesday already.

sunday - begin building fence with dh
monday - watch dh through window as he works on said fence in rain
tues - finish up draft of paper in time for getting in 30 mins on the treadmill
wed - swim 25 minutes, possibly yoga
thursday - 30 mins on treadmill
fri - 25 min swim
sat and sunday - BOTH days take dd and dog out for a long walk.

hold me accountable ok?

Old 06-14-2005, 11:53 AM

hi everyone!

i have a wonky week - moving into my new office space today so my home office is up to my eyeballs in boxes. must..finish..before..movers..arrive..

today would be my run day, but i don't think i am going to make it. i am averaging every 2 days. the couch-5k says 3 times a week, so i am almost there. need to get back to every other day again.

kerc- do you live in pac nw like me? what's with all the rain where you are?

i know it is hot everywhere else, but here is my monthly plea for -send it on over ladies!

mom to ds (11) REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif and dd (9) hearts.gif

Old 06-14-2005, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamabeth
heat index today is 106, so I will be hitting the gym.
same here.

my running has to be in the evenings. dh goes into work super early. rides his bike into work and lifts weights in their workout room. i'm a little jealous! i might have to start running after we get the girls to sleep instead of going before dinner because it's cooler once the sun starts to set. getting dd2 to sleep is still somewhat of a challenge, though, so that could be a hit or miss plan. oh well. i'll be able to exercise regularly eventually, right?

speaking of regular exercise, i need a double jogger. they're pricey though. but i could at least take both girls on a walk in the mornings. i know i can't run with dd2 for a few more months until her head is less wobbly. anyone have one? what do you like/dislike about it? do you actually run with your kids in it?

kerc -- we'll hold you accountable! (someone might have to remind me, though :LOL )

1jooj -- what an inspiration! congrats on the weight loss. i'm hoping to report the same thing in a few months.

hollysmom -- i'm jealous of your rain storm. it's hot and hazy here!

mizliz -- welcome!!

doctorjen -- you always sound so busy. i'm impressed you run ever.

baby's waking. gotta go!
Old 06-14-2005, 12:49 PM

I got my workout in this morning and it was nice. The humidity was down and the temp was nice for a 2 mile run. I also went and lifted arms at the gym. Now I'm off to shower.

Old 06-14-2005, 01:04 PM

wow, this is such a chatty group! i love it! i also love reading everybody's goals.

aprildawn, i have a mountain buggy double jogger and it is okay. i bought it used and it was a pretty good deal. the main trouble is that lilah (8.5 mos) HATES it. so i really haven't used it very much. perhaps it is my fault because i didn't try it sooner. we have a kelty kids single jogger and it looks more comfortable so i took her out in that one this weekend and she hated it just as much. bummer! so i do all my runs in the early morning before dh goes to work.

so today is tuesday and i have not run since sunday. i was going to go this am but our power went out last night and we spent the night at MIL's. so i am going to go tonight after dh gets home from work. it'll be about 7 so the heat should be lessening. we're expected to be about 100 degrees here today too.

kerc, i was :LOL about yesterday's goal of watching dh build the fence in the rain.

1jooj, i am so jealous about your weight loss. lilah was born 10/1. i started walking on 1/1. i actually was gaining weight! so i started running about 6 weeks ago. i am afraid to weigh myself because i don't think i have lost anything yet. that is awesome that you have gone down so many sizes!!! you are an inspiration!!

grnmtnmama, i agree that your runs (and climbing) sound great! where do you live?

karen, he WILL nap for longer soon! i think anyway.

Mizliz, sounds like a great start to me!!

happy tuesday everybody!

Old 06-14-2005, 01:06 PM

I live in Duluth Minnesota, about a mile from lake superior. But it feels like the Pac. NW!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aprildawn
i might have to start running after we get the girls to sleep instead of going before dinner because it's cooler once the sun starts to set. getting dd2 to sleep is still somewhat of a challenge, though, so that could be a hit or miss plan. oh well. i'll be able to exercise regularly eventually, right?
can you go after dd1 goes to bed and have dd2 hang out for some daddy time? I'm thinking 20-30 minutes....putting it off till they're both asleep for me would be asking for trouble -- when erin was still wee I would OFTEN fall asleep nursing. Often before she was even asleep

double jogger -- try freecycle or craigslist first. You aren't likely to do as much running as you would with a single, so performance and folding and whatnot probably doesn't matter as much.

poppywise...everyother day is better than not every other day. As life settles down you can get back on track. You can probably adjust your running schedule/plan to your time committments right now...just use the c25k as a guide.

Old 06-14-2005, 02:50 PM

Hi everyone
My goals for the week are three runs, and I'll get a lot of exercise dancing this week, as I get to teach a class this summer starting tonight (well, maybe..only have four students signed up, and I don't know if the class will make or not...right now I'm not sure I want to teach it for only a few people because of all the logistics issues )

I like reading everyone else's goals too! One thing I started doing a few weeks ago was keeping track of everything I ate at fitday. I'm not doing any kind of 'diet', but wanted to get some idea of how much I was eating and where my calories were coming from...but, it's difficult to just observe something without making changes, so I'm noticing my food choices are getting a bit better.

The weather here is about normal for this time of year (hot and dry). It was unseasonably warm a couple of weeks ago (thermometer read 106 at the house), then we had a nice break with a couple of cool, overcast days, now it's creeping back up to normal. I wish it would rain, though...and so does my garden!

Vegan, mom to : Joe and Josh ::
Old 06-14-2005, 05:33 PM

you guys can come running with me anytime! i'm in Vermont in the middle of the green mountains. and after our run we'll go down the backyard and cool off in our stream.

well, maybe not today. i'm about to be completely rained out of outside activities for the day so instead i think i'll make some soap.
Old 06-14-2005, 05:57 PM

man - I'm just coming up for air here. You guys are jamming! I'll just subscribe, write my goals and catch up on the personals later.

Sun - Danskin
Mon - recovery - easy swim
Tues - Run/Weights
Wed - bike
Thurs - yoga
Fri - weights and swim
Sat - hiking with kids???

Homeschool Planet http://planethomeschool.net
Old 06-14-2005, 09:53 PM

I agree, you all talk so much it is hard to keep up!

I try to run every other day for 30 or 40 minutes and maybe a 60 minute run every couple of weeks.

I went today, so I hope I get out Thurs, and Sat.

I also try to add in abs when ever I can- you can't do too many abs :LOL
Old 06-14-2005, 11:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerc
I live in Duluth Minnesota, about a mile from lake superior. But it feels like the Pac. NW!
Oh so THAT's where all the rain goes when it leaves here... :

Hoping to run tomorrow - got to keep it up! Not sure if our new office space has locker room/showers so my preferred lunchtime run might be out. After being up all night most nights with my DD, I can't imagine waking even earlier to run in the morning...maybe after work, before dinner is best? Hmm.

mom to ds (11) REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif and dd (9) hearts.gif

Old 06-15-2005, 12:13 AM

I've been feeling pretty smug lately as I have generally felt good running every run. I've been thinking that I'm in pretty decent shape. But today I went for a 3 mile run, and felt like I was lifting lead weights every time I picked up a foot. Blech.
I'm hoping it's just fatigue. I was on call the weekend and worked hard and slept little, and then last night I got up to answer the phone about 4 times. Usually phone calls are barely blips in my total sleep, but last night I couldn't fall back to sleep for some reason (too tired?) I didn't feel too bad during the day, but I'm tired. Decided to run anyway, and it wasn't any fun.
So we'll see how I feel tomorrow. If I sleep well, I'll try and get my speed work in, and if not, I'll skip a day.

grnmtnmom - I would love to run up a mountain! (Or maybe walk?) A couple years ago we climbed up Camelback mountain in Phoenix with our kids. It was a struggle for a family hike, but the kids made it to the top. Then we were really demoralized by a local running club that RAN to the top and back down while we were still hiking down, TWICE! Geesh.

mamabeth - how was the sugar test?

Hey, pacific NW and minnesotans - send us some rain. We've had the weirdest weather. It clouds up, blows a lot, a few drops fall, and then it all blows over. I'll never get tomatoes out of my garden at this rate.
Old 06-15-2005, 12:18 AM

Ran my first 2.5 today. It was hard- and hilly and hot. But I'm so glad I did it.

User Tag List